Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Not A Bad Day; Dana O'Neil Fired At ESPN...Sorry If That Makes Me Small Minded

Lots of "on the air" personalities getting axed today....please let one be Goodman (wonder if he will blame Cal)

Darryl

Re: Not A Bad Day; Dana O'Neil Fired At ESPN...Sorry If That Makes Me Small Minded

To say I'm not a fan of Dana O'Neil is a huge understatment. But absent criminal activity, I hate to see anyone lose their jobs. O'Neil's not the only one; Ed Werder and some other good people with tough family situations are also being let go.

The bottom is falling out of ESPN's business model and this is the natural progression of it. Layoffs have been going on at ESPN for awhile now and will continue as their owner, the Disney Company, forces them to adjust to reality.

And yet, somehow Stephen A. Smith get to keep yapping. They still don't get it.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Not A Bad Day; Dana O'Neil Fired At ESPN...Sorry If That Makes Me Small Minded

Getting ready to go into a difficult meeting, and this makes me smile. Call me small-minded, too.

She may have lost her job, but she made plenty of money doing something with ill will toward something I hold dear, so I don't feel sorry for her at all. Other people work harder than she does, make less money than she does, and are more honest at their jobs than she was at hers, IMO.

Ed Werner was also let go. I like Ed a lot.

I hate layoffs

Peace

Richard (CW)

Could they please lay-off that Max guy in the morning. The whole switch-over to a "Good Morning America" format, instead of just Dan Patrick & Keith Olbermann showing highlights and making jokes, feels very desperate (and not nearly as entertaining).

OK, I might modify my "hate to see anyone lose their job" stance if Goodman is also laid off.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 04-26-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Here's an article. Best I can tell, at least these people were laid off today. Tough; I certainly made light of it for Dana O'Neil, and maybe that makes me a bad person, but I do recognize they are human beings, too.

Ed Werder
    Dana O'Neil
    Scott Burnside
    Joe McDonald
    Pierre LeBrun
    Brendan Fitzgerald
    Mike Goodman
    Austin Ward
    Jesse Temple
    Brett McMurphy
    Jim Bowden
    Eamonn Brennan
    Mark Saxon
    James Miller
    Paul Kuharsky
    Adam Rubin (last month)

The article below has those names, and says it will update throughout the day...

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...L-bristol.html

Bombino

I never really felt like Dana O'Neil was the leader of the 'get-UK' crowd. She seemed to more take the lead from guys like Jeff Goodman and Pete Thamel etc. and maybe pile on at times but don't remember and don't consider her as a major instigator. A couple of her (most non-UK) articles I thought were quite good, so she does have talent.
    Receive updates on my UK website on Twitter at https://twitter.com/bigbluehistory

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Here's an article. Best I can tell, at least these people were laid off today. Tough; I certainly made light of it for Dana O'Neil, and maybe that makes me a bad person, but I do recognize they are human beings, too.

Ed Werder
    Dana O'Neil
    Scott Burnside
    Joe McDonald
    Pierre LeBrun
    Brendan Fitzgerald
    Mike Goodman
    Austin Ward
    Jesse Temple
    Brett McMurphy
    Jim Bowden
    Eamonn Brennan
    Mark Saxon
    James Miller
    Paul Kuharsky
    Adam Rubin (last month)

The article below has those names, and says it will update throughout the day...

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...L-bristol.html
    That Mike Goodman...any chance that was a typo and they meant Jeff?

Darryl

Although I hate it for those folks who have lost their jobs, I do not shed one tear for ESPN. Michael Sam, Caitlyn Jenner and Colin Kapernick have turned me against ESPN. Its a sports network and in no way are people like Mike Golic, Jemelle Hill or Stephen A Smith qualified to lecture anyone one on politics or social issues. I hope they continue to nose dive until the liberals in upper management are fired.

Later..

Quote Originally Posted by backagain View Post
    Although I hate it for those folks who have lost their jobs, I do not shed one tear for ESPN. Michael Sam, Caitlyn Jenner and Colin Kapernick have turned me against ESPN. Its a sports network and in no way are people like Mike Golic, Jemelle Hill or Stephen A Smith qualified to lecture anyone one on politics or social issues. I hope they continue to nose dive until the liberals in upper management are fired.

Later..
    Nor are you qualified to lecture anyone here on YOUR politics. This thread didn't have that until YOU posted YOUR conservative slant, which is against forum rules, and which I know you don't care about.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

It has my slant now and I sure wont be deleting it.

Later...

It has my slant now and I sure wont be deleting it.

Later...
    We all now benefit from your expression of moral superiority... on a freaking sports thread.

Yay America.

Has nothing to do with moral superiority...It has everything to do with my right to express my view on what is wrong with ESPN. You obviously disagree, which is fine. But in typical fashion, if some one like you does not agree, they want to shut down the other person. Won't work with me.

Later....

Has nothing to do with moral superiority...It has everything to do with my right to express my view on what is wrong with ESPN. You obviously disagree, which is fine. But in typical fashion, if some one like you does not agree, they want to shut down the other person. Won't work with me.

Later....
    So bringing up politics on a sports forum is actually really improvisationally easy so why not do it and screw everyone who doesn't care for your narrow view, a view that could have been easily expressed on the politics only forum (which I am sure you know exists)? I am sure you will deny purposefully stirring the pot on this thread even though the OP is about firing of staff, specifically Dana O'Neill.

Bottom line, these days, if there can be formulated a random excuse to bring up politics on a sports forum, "someone like you" will bring it up, even if it has nothing to do with the OP and nobody else has brought up THEIR politics, something which I have still yet to do on this thread.

It's just you.

Not A Bad Day; Dana O'Neil Fired At ESPN...Sorry If That Makes Me Small Minded

Uh-oh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    Nor are you qualified to lecture anyone here on YOUR politics. This thread didn't have that until YOU posted YOUR conservative slant, which is against forum rules, and which I know you don't care about.
    I believe politics are what helped to drive ESPN to a radical state of cost cutting. Just as people on this forum don't wish to wade through politics to discuss UK sports, most viewers tuning in to watch alaBama or tOSU don't want to listen to lectures on social issues based on the views of the radicals in ESPN management. ESPN demonstrated they were willing to promote their agenda over quality product when they replace their Sunday night baseball analyst with one who could only read her prepared notes and attempt to work them in to the broadcast.

I don't care what the analyst's or the Network's political views are as long as they hush and talk about the game.
    Real Fan since 1958

Many believe there is a political component to this, either directly or indirectly. Others disagree. How the thread goes may determine whether we keep it here or move it to the Barber Shop. But whether it stays here or gets moved, let's keep it civil and respect each other's viewpoints without getting personal, please.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 04-26-2017 at 12:53 PM.

One and Done

Regardless of your political viewpoint, I think it is objectively true that there is a direct correlation between ESPN's falling ratings and the company's decision to become more political in its content. There are many "stick to sports" people in this world of all political persuasions that simply don't want to turn on ESPN and be bombarded with the political content you see on the regular news.

😀

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Uh-oh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just me and you...Don't forget, you are the other one in the conversation.

Later...

Y'all don't have to move threads like this.

"Someone like me" just posts less often...

on all threads.

Not that I am suggesting anyone give a spit about what "someone like me" does.

That's my last thought on this subject and my last post on this thread.

Enjoy it's evolution without me.

Peace.

Danny Kannell and CL Brown have been added to the list of those gone.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    hush
    I agree.

I believe politics are what helped to drive ESPN to a radical state of cost cutting. Just as people on this forum don't wish to wade through politics to discuss UK sports, most viewers tuning in to watch alaBama or tOSU don't want to listen to lectures on social issues based on the views of the radicals in ESPN management. ESPN demonstrated they were willing to promote their agenda over quality product when they replace their Sunday night baseball analyst with one who could only read her prepared notes and attempt to work them in to the broadcast.

I don't care what the analyst's or the Network's political views are as long as they hush and talk about the game.
    Agree, ESPN destroyed themselves.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    Agree, ESPN destroyed themselves.
    Bottom line, that can't be good news for the SEC. I wonder if the AD's have a clue that they could be forced to take a haircut.
    Real Fan since 1958

I find it interesting that some are upset that I brought up political views on a sports board, when my original post is concerning that fact that a sports network is too political. If you agree with ESPN's point of view, then you think their troubles have nothing to do with politics. However, if you disagree with their point of view, then you think it has everything to do with the troubles.

I guess my point is, people are fine mixing politics and sports as long as they agree with the opinions expressed.

Later...

I also note that most all of the cuts have been to white males....Only one female that I know of so far and one African American ( more may be coming, these are the facts as they stand now). In America today, diversity means punishing as many of the majority as you can to raise up the minority. If you demand diversity in hiring then you should also demand diversity when the cut back come.

Later...

Bottom line, that can't be good news for the SEC. I wonder if the AD's have a clue that they could be forced to take a haircut.
    That could be one expensive hair cut
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Y'all don't have to move threads like this.

"Someone like me" just posts less often...

on all threads.
    Same here Krank.