Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mark Stoops Era Begins

The Mark Stoops Era Begins

I, for one, am excited. Maybe a bit guardedly, but I think "cautious optimism" is a synonym for "UK football" so that is nothing new.

All in all, a real big hire.
    Follow my insane ramblings on UK sports and this crazy world we live in: @UKSalsaKat

Re: The Mark Stoops Era Begins

If I'm not ecstatic with the choice, I'm near ecstatic.

My hopes and expectations were low; and he greatly exceeded both. UK football needed a big hire. In my opinion, Mitch Barnhart landed one.

I did not think UK would land Stoops. I am very excited about this hire. I think our Florida commitments will be, as well. I also think ESPN will look favorably on this and we will see an interview or two during bowl season. I think Mitch did get a jump on the competition and hired someone that will be well-received within the industry, by most fans, and by the recruits. Upgrading recruiting is key. I think Stoops has the contacts and experience to get some people excited.

Mitch may not have hit a home run but right now it looks like a stand up triple

We only know by results. But, it should be received as a big hit.

Time to get behind our new coach.

^^ Agreed. If he wasn't "your guy" he should be now.
    Follow my insane ramblings on UK sports and this crazy world we live in: @UKSalsaKat

I'm pleased by the reports of his interview. Supposedly he wasn't a very high-up candidate until, in his interview, he laid out a detailed plan on exactly how to get UK to win in the SEC. And this impressed Barnhart so much that he went forward. I like that, we need a plan. And we also need to provide the resources to make that plan a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaKat View Post
    ^^ Agreed. If he wasn't "your guy" he should be now.
    Agreed!

I'm pleased by the reports of his interview. Supposedly he wasn't a very high-up candidate until, in his interview, he laid out a detailed plan on exactly how to get UK to win in the SEC. And this impressed Barnhart so much that he went forward. I like that, we need a plan. And we also need to provide the resources to make that plan a reality.
    Sounds like he did his homework and really wanted this job. Time will tell whether this is true.

I feel good about this hire. Hopefully he can change things around at UK.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by fastkat View Post
    Sounds like he did his homework and really wanted this job. Time will tell whether this is true.
    This! Hopefully Stoops sees the potential for building his legacy here and can build this program up the right & legal way. I just hope he likes it in Lexington and will want to stay. And I hope he can build a competitive winner, but only time and good results will tell that story.

Reports are suggesting Coley will come with Stoops, but perhaps not as the OC. May be another OC in the works.

I hear reports of Coley as TE/Recruiting Coordinator, Neal Brown as OC, and Randy Shannon as DC. Obviously a complete fictitious pipe dream. Probably because I can't see Coley taking a demotion AND moving to Kentucky, Neal Brown moving to Kentucky without a promotion, nor Randy Shannon moving to Kentucky at all. But hey let's enjoy the dream while we can.

Scratch that, the reports of this are in fact saying it is the OC position that has been offered, not just "a position". So yes, pipe dream indeed.

Should I be at all worried that Florida State fans don't seem too upset over losing both coordinators?
    Last edited by SalsaKat; 11-28-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Not going to worry about what FSU fans think.

Now the talk is James Coley as either OC or asst. HC/TE/RC and DJ Eliot (FSU DL coach) as DC. And the Neal Brown thing refuses to die too. At least the crazy rumor train hasn't stopped rolling since we hired a coach. Wonder how soon this staff will be in place.

I never thought I'd see the day where UK was gutting FSU's staff. Crazy. Mitch, you sly dog you.

Kentucky: I have just learned that former Northwestern State head coach Bradley Dale Peveto is likely to join Mark Stoops' coaching staff at Kentucky. No word yet on the position, but Peveto has a background of coordinating special teams.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html (Can't seem to find a permalink, so the post may get buried in a few days.)

Peveto was Special Teams coach for LSU in 2007 when they won the title... (muttering) and missed a chip shot field goal that would have won the game in regulation against Kentucky... Just kidding, sounds like a big get.

Should I be at all worried that Florida State fans don't seem too upset over losing both coordinators?
    I wouldn't be, I see posts here and I wonder if the poster knows anything about football. Stoops took them from the worst defense to one of the best and he still sucks. He had to do something right you would think.

There are negative Nancies in every fan base. I think for UK, Stoops is a homerun. These things are decided on the field and in the win loss columns, but that is how I feel right now. Excited to get this staff together and see if they can surprise with some recruits in the short amount of time left.

Even an offensively challenged (like this year) Wildcat team will benefit from a good defensive minded head coach. The building blocks are there, just need assembling.
    5-7 wins next season is my hope.

I think there are enough building blocks for 6 wins next year. The injuries caused a lot of young players to get quality experience this year.

Go ahead and say "Coach Stoops" out loud a few times. Sounds pretty awesome, right?

It seems as Jimbo Fisher is the top candidate for the UT job according to rumors coming from Chris Low... FSU may have to replace the whole staff and do you think this hurts our chances at Coley or will he hold out to see if he can get a shot at the FSU job if Fisher does bolt for UT...

* There are all kinds of reasons why some FSU fans may say they won't miss Stoops et al. Sour grapes, the loss to UF, some say he's never really gotten along well with Fisher, some look more at the defense's struggles against top opponents than the overall improvement, etc.

* Everything (limited) I've read suggests that Coley is more tied to Stoops than FSU/Fisher. There is talk that Fisher will start letting the OC actually call plays in games but may be looking to bring in a different OC for this rather than let Coley do it. I don't think Coley is a candidate for the FSU head coaching job. If FSU fights to keep him, it will be for his recruiting ability. All-in-all this seems like a good time for Coley to get out of Tallahassee.

Cholly Strong supposedly interviewed with UT a couple of days ago. The UT fans don't sound like they're enamored with him or Jimbo.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Would FSU make a play for Stoops if Fisher leaves?

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Cholly Strong supposedly interviewed with UT a couple of days ago. The UT fans don't sound like they're enamored with him or Jimbo.
    Where is the Strong rumor coming from?

It was apparently reported by several Tennessee media outlets. I personally have a hard time believing he's at the top of their list unless they're panicking again already.

I doubt Fisher goes anywhere--it appears his agent--Jimmy Sexton, who also perennially had Houston Nutt on every opening list--is merely trying to get him a raise.
    Last edited by Catfan73; 12-01-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

According to most UT media outlets Fisher is the ADs top choice followed by Charlie Strong.. The fan base tho was all wrapped up in John Gruden.

Money boosters felt Gruden was coming.