Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are you writing with today?

I know, most of us use computers most of the time. So do I. But when I write....

Here's today's tool of choice: Namiki Vanishing Point (capless) fountain pen, broad point, and Waterman Serenity Blue ink.

What are you using today?

Re: What are you writing with today?

My weapon of choice is usually a cheap Pentel rollerball. I do have a fountain pen tucked away somewhere in my desk at home that belonged to my dad. I need to dig it out and see if I can figure out what cartridges it needs.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

I like Dr.Grip pens, but I don't know if they even make them. I found a coup,e on eBay a few years ago and still use them, though I do not do much writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    My weapon of choice is usually a cheap Pentel rollerball. I do have a fountain pen tucked away somewhere in my desk at home that belonged to my dad. I need to dig it out and see if I can figure out what cartridges it needs.
    Pentel rollerball is a good writing instrument. Doesn't skip, rolls smoothly. Good buy and good weapon of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I like Dr.Grip pens, but I don't know if they even make them. I found a coup,e on eBay a few years ago and still use them, though I do not do much writing.
    They do -- pen and pencils. I know I'm a weirdo, but I like to browse office supply stores, and go up and down the pen/pencil aisles. Saw it just the other day.

I've used them before, and remember liking them, but I think the refill part I didn't like as much. The grip was excellent. It was the precursor of the "Sensa" pens everybody went wild over for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I know, most of us use computers most of the time. So do I. But when I write....

Here's today's tool of choice: Namiki Vanishing Point (capless) fountain pen, broad point, and Waterman Serenity Blue ink.

What are you using today?

That looks like a cool pen, but I lose pens too easily for something like that.

My weapon of choice: Uniball Vision Rollerball, micro, black:

I prefer blue ink, but for some reason in the military they have a custom of using black ink, so I go with that.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-04-2017 at 02:03 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I call the Namiki a "sensible" fancy pen. It's just solid. Looks don't bowl you over. Functional. Appeals to the Luddite in me.

I checked, and the price has about doubled since I bought mine--my wife would shoot me if I bought a replacement one, so I better keep it closer to home mostly.

Uniball rollerball is a very good pen. We have those at the office (somebody likes them best, and I have no particular preference, since my preference is, I use my own if I'm writing a lot in a particular day).

I'll probably use the Namiki for a few days to a week or more and then stop using it for awhile and go back to something else. I HATE using it when a client may ask to borrow my pen. I try to make sure I have another one handy. Some don't know how to use a fountain pen, hold it backward, press too hard on the nib, etc. Once I break it in to my writing, I just don't like anybody else using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I call the Namiki a "sensible" fancy pen. It's just solid. Looks don't bowl you over. Functional. Appeals to the Luddite in me.

I checked, and the price has about doubled since I bought mine--my wife would shoot me if I bought a replacement one, so I better keep it closer to home mostly.
    I have lost thousands of dollars worth of fountain pens. Watermans, Parkers, Namikis, Duponts, etc. I love them, but I had to quit to stop the bleeding. Plus there is that price increase you allude to that has happened all across that industry since the 90s and early 2000s when they were a kind of hobby for me. Now I have one upper-end Cross, and so far I've managed to hang on to it.

Been writing with this the last few months.

Cheaply made plastic fountain pen. I bought one, waited weeks for it to come in, and started using it. Then bought two more. I keep one at my desk at the office and one at my desk at home and the other one I use to throw in a briefcase or bag.

It is everything I typically don't like in a pen. Somehow it works anyway. I like bold lines, and my fountain pens are broad tips if I can get it, but at least medium point. This is extra fine, and I thought I would hate it. Instead, it is ideal for printing, making lists, and other things where I am not writing page after page of notes. I view it as a specialty pen. It takes disposable cartridges, and because it writes extra fine, one cartridge lasts a long time.

It writes really well for an extra fine point. Two of them are clear, so I can see how much ink is there, but the one I have at the office is black, as it doesn't look like a ten cent pen like the clear ones do. I think of it like a Bic disposable pen, but refillable with ink cartridges.

You may hate it, but it fits a niche for me.

I bought some disposable fountain pens last year to see if I like using them, and I did. So I just bought what I guess you'd call an entry-level fountain pen (cost: 16 bucks, including ink)

51HDvk9hfbL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I like it so far, although the nib is a little curved and that took some getting used to.

At this rate I might be up to an actual quality fountain pen in another 5-7 years or so.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Oh boy, pens and pencil stuff! Love it, thanks for resurrecting the thread.

Pilot makes a good disposable fountain pen, I've used those exact ones before you have in your link. Good stuff.

Another one you may want to look at is the Pilot Metropolitan fountain pen that is widely held to be a terrific introduction to legitimate fountain pens that follows that same line, about $15. I have it and occasionally use it. I don't worry too much if I lose it, and it's a good writer, and you can choose the exact ink you want to use, fill it up before you leave, etc.

I'm vacillating right now between a blue Pilot G2 1.0 gel pen

PILOT G2 Premium Refillable & Retractable Rolling Ball Gel Pens, Bold Point, Blue Ink, 12 Count (31257) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AQPQBQ...EOFmEb0CWP534*

and these graphite pencils.

Prismacolor Ebony Graphite Drawing Pencils, Black,12-Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006RVSK..._hKFmEb8YV5P0Y

I'm a huge list maker, make them every day. The pencils are for lists, not note taking. They are very dark and soft, made for lists on good thick paper in the books I use for lists and general notes, and for striking out things on the lists.

I use these small magnesium alloy sharpeners with them. I really like sharpening the points of two or three and use them until the point gets dull.

3 PACK: Kum 104.03.01 Magnesium Alloy Metal 1-Hole Steel Blade Rectangular Pencil Sharpeners https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011M43A7W...qNFmEbKCC0B02*

I meant to reply to Elicat with this...

At this point in my life, I have one Mont Blanc Meisterstruck and one gold Cross ballpoint pen that are the only two pens that I would beat myself up if I lost. I have a reasonably expensive Waterman fountain pen, and a couple of mid-range Waterman fountain pens, and the namiki vanishing point which I replaced when the barrel connector broke. Since I kept up with it all this time, I decided to replace it when that occurred.

The Mont Blanc was a gift from the first law firm that ever hired me when I left, if they were so happy to be rid of me, I guess, and it is stylish. I keep it at my home desk 99% of the time, with a very rare occasion of me going somewhere where it becomes an accessory. But by and large it stays home.

The Cross pen isn't as expensive as some of the others, but my mom and dad gave that to me for my high school graduation. It is still engraved with my high school graduation date more than 40 years ago on it. Of course, it writes pretty well, using standard Cross ballpoint refills, but that doesn't make it valuable to me. I also keep that one at my home desk so I don't lose it.

I have already misplaced or lost the pen they gave me for my college graduation, but the high school one was more important to me anyway.

Oh, one other quick post for those of us who have lost pens before, and or are carrying fountain pens. Last summer I picked this up to carry two separate fountain pens with me.

DiLoro Double Pen Case Pouch Holder for Two Pens or Pencils Genuine Full Grain Nappa Leather (Brown Nappa) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8QGV1L...AWurghkP2AwlM*

I can put this in my pants pocket, so the pens do not get lost, and if there is some fountain pen explosion, it will explode in the case, rather than on my shirt. Highly recommended. They make a bunch of these and I see that the price has gone up since I bought it, so I probably would choose another one now.

When I carry the Namiki, I also carry a midrange Waterman fountain pen, same ink in that holder. Or the Pilot Metropolitan.

I generally sharpen the end of a small stick then char the end to write with.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

So that pen I just ordered is leaking some. I take off the cap and notice ink droplets on the black part. If I forget to wipe it off, I get ink on my hand.

Oh, well--I guess you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    So that pen I just ordered is leaking some. I take off the cap and notice ink droplets on the black part. If I forget to wipe it off, I get ink on my hand.

Oh, well--I guess you get what you pay for.
    Get a Pilot Metropolitan pen. About $15. Won't leak. Writes well. Won't be a $200 pen experience, but it isn't far off.

There are two "introductory" pens generally recommended, and this is one, but I can't remember the other. I've had mine for years and it still performs well.

I don't remember if it comes with a converter or not, but I don't like cartridges, love bottled ink, and immediately get a screw type (piston) or bladder converter for every fountain pen so I can use the bottled ink I like, immediately fill it up anytime, etc.

You may just have received a rare dud in the one you got, too.

Others that I can think of that are not expensive are Lamy and Rotring. I don't have either but will probably get one of each sometime.

Oh, let me add this. The pen that I have had the most trouble with is a $200 or so Waterman Carene amber fountain pen with a broad tip. Writes great, but I've had it in the shop twice to stop the leaks.

So it's not just you get what you pay for either. Fountain pens are like college basketball 2019-2020.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I generally sharpen the end of a small stick then char the end to write with.
    Crayola Brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Thought I'd revisit this.

One of my favorite places, Goulet Pen Company (very reasonable prices, although they do charge for shipping, great advice and good quality merchandise with a plethora of different color inks) had a sale on a couple of months ago where you got a bottle of free ink if you purchased a pen from a certain collection.

So while I was at it, I picked up several cheap--not inexpensive, CHEAP--fountain pens with converters. I love using bottled ink. There's something cathartic about filling the pen; also, you can always fill it up before you leave to go somewhere.

Anyway, I have been using three of them recently, and just shocked at how good they write. Ink just flows. I know, I'm on a computer now. I know, even for those who write, fountain pens are considered old school and impractical. But man, I just enjoy it so much.

Here's what I'm using right now:

Jinhao 51A Demonstrator Fountain Pen, Black, Extra-fine nib. ($6). Demonstrator means you can see through the barrel and see how much ink you have. It is dark, so it looks almost "normal," but you can easily see the ink if you look carefully. I have always liked the "bold" nibs, and just picked this one up on a lark, and I have been shocked at how much I have enjoyed it. It is not scratchy; it flows beautifully, yet creates a fine line. Really nice.

Jinhao demonstrator.jpg

Jinhao 993 Shark Fountain Pen - Black - Extra-fine nib. ($2.75). Talk about cheap. Yes, this looks like a kid's toy. I keep it at my desk; it doesn't travel with me. You grab the "fin" part of it and twist it around, and the cap actually posts beautifully on the pen. Writes very, very nicely. Not quite as nicely as the Demonstrator, but it's close.

Jinhao Shark.jpg

Diplomat Magnum Fountain Pen - Indigo Blue - Broad nib. ($23.20). I count this as cheap because, a) it is a lot less expensive than most fountain pens, and b) it qualified me for a free bottle of ink which retails for $15+, making this another $8 pen or so. This is the opposite end of the spectrum--ink just broadly flows out beautifully, but man, it can be messy. Made the mistake of writing a check from my Trust Account with this pen, and on the back it more or less seeped through making it difficult to endorse for mobile banking (but not impossible, thankfully). Have to make sure to use good quality paper for this one, and only one side where the other side isn't needed.

Diplomat.jpg

I still have a $7 pen I picked up that I have not filled yet or used, medium nib.

Jinhao x450.jpg

Most of the fountain pens I've ever used have been in the $50-300 range, and I'm not a big fan of carrying those with me. If I lose a $7 pen I'm not going to cry about it, but I have been enjoying using them.

Oh--for anyone who wants to begin the habit -- also highly recommend a pen case. I have one that holds two pens. The fountain pens go in it, and it goes in my pocket. If you have a "problem," it will be a problem for the case, not your shirt or pants, you know? This is the one I picked up, I think for about $10, brown nappa color.

81ezePrjdwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edison's latest

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Edison's latest

I like it!

The pen I had leaking problems with was a Jinhao with a wooden finish. Maybe it was user error, or I just got a lemon.

I now use a Uniball Vision Needle, micro point, black ink. I prefer blue but the custom in the office I work in is black ink.

I might give that Pilot Metropolitan a try if Santa brings me a gift card.

The pen I had leaking problems with was a Jinhao with a wooden finish. Maybe it was user error, or I just got a lemon.

I now use a Uniball Vision Needle, micro point, black ink. I prefer blue but the custom in the office I work in is black ink.

I might give that Pilot Metropolitan a try if Santa brings me a gift card.
    I hate to hear that about your Jinhao. I'm still in the early stages with mine, so it's possible it may develop a problem, too. It is certainly a mass-produced pen, and it wouldn't surprise me to have batches with errors on occasion, too.

I have a black Pilot Metropolitan sitting beside me. It's not currently in my rotation. It's sitting with my Namiki vanishing point and a cheap Waterman. The Pilot Metropolitan is a very highly rated pen in the reasonably priced pen range, although higher than the Jinhao. I like it, but not as much as the Jinhao (currently--I hope that doesn't change).

BEvans, I cheated on one of my bottled inks. I like blue personally, but for a long time had that "black for professional" stuff mantra. So I selected a Pilot blue-black bottled ink. Interesting color, and for a long time it was all I ever used. It was my way of rebelling without being obvious lol. In fact, that's what I still use with the three that are not currently in my rotation.

I've reached the point now where I use whatever I want, so I'm back to medium to medium deep blue type colors. I like that it stands out. DC Supershow Blue has been my favorite so far. I acknowledge that some of my like of the current set of pens could be that I'm using this ink with it, too. It may be a better ink and flow better in "any" pen.

I don't think I'd worry about trying to "remedy" the situation you have with your leaking Jinhao, but I wonder if it just wasn't playing nice with the type of ink, and whether a different bottled ink might have worked better? Sort of like some handguns do well with some ammunition, but other ammunition causes problems? Just a thought.

Oh--I overlooked this. I love those micro point Uniballs. I'm usually a "broad" pen kind of guy, but there's something about the micro point and the needle point gel pens that are very satisfying.

This is the nerdiest best thread on the entire board.

Like above, I also primarily use a Pentel. I am using the Pentel Energel Metal tip right now (0.7). That is an inexpensive option to have many of lying around. My whole house loves them so I have to buy them by the bundle.

I need to try a few of the others you guys are mentioning.

And just between us....this would be a great Christmas present (to me and apparently some of you). But man I would want to pick my own out. Ha
    ~Puma~

Same here Puma. Pentel Energel Pro Document+ Blue Ink 0.7mm tip. Where the folks in the office have a habit of "borrowing" them I keep a supply of used pens in my pen holder after I have used them bone dry...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Rupp's Runt

Pilot G2. Don’t hate…

The one on my desk I can find in the piles of crap.

Of course other than signing my name I rarely write anything. b/c, you know, I have electricity.

Seriously my handwriting is awful, and has gotten worse b/c I write so little. But I can type like a demon. I do have a couple of pens I got as promo items from pen companies that I use and like, but other than an inventory on site once in a while I really rarely write. I don't really have to, and I'm way better on a keyboard.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Pilot G2. Don’t hate…

G2 is a great pen. They ride in my briefcase, in notebooks, in my desk, etc. My favorite gel pen. Really good for taking quick notes, and a lot of writing. Have packs for clients to use when they have to sign documents.

Rupp's Runt

I’m right there with Citizen. I do like the G2 but honestly I have never used a high end pen. At least not that I can recall right now.