Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: My Current gun wish list

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Nothing rare and expensive. Just something that shoots and is dependable.
    Those mags fit in the holy grail of SKS, the SKS-D.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Did not know that. I have two SKS but I'm not sure what they are.

Have a couple other comments to make, but thought I'd give a video show first on my pocket holster of choice--a Robert Mika hand-made, crafted pocket holster. Just perfect, and reasonably priced.

Also--here's a great video made by Robert Mika--retired L.A. police officer who does this business. GREAT guy. He called me on New Year's Eve about my order. When my local post office "lost" my order for several weeks (they found it eventually), he offered to make me a replacement one at no charge, which I refused. I told him that I would order another one from him and pay for it, but fortunately, they "found" my package.

Did not know that. I have two SKS but I'm not sure what they are.
    The D is a Norinco that was factory built to accept AK magazines.

I have one I'd part with for the right offer. I picked it up and have held onto it, but everything's for sale.

KW -- only a small number of SKSs were made to hold AK mags. You'll be able to tell b/c the standard SKS mag is a 10 round mag that is fixed to the gun and swings open like a Remington other rifle base plate. If it's been modified to take removable mags they have a long attachment arm on them and are called "duckbill" magazines b/c of it.

The SKS-D was made by Norinco from scratch with a mag well designed for the AK. B/c the AK mags are so much easier to pack and tote than SKS with those duckbills, and so plentiful, people really like them.

I may have 2 of them in fact. Can't remember, I think I picked one up 3-4 years ago, but this last one I got just this year. I really like the SKS, know them pretty well.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

The D is a Norinco that was factory built to accept AK magazines.
    Beat me to it while I was typing, lol. Good guns overall.

I like the SKS. Like the AK, good reliable guns. Bit more accurate than the AK as well on average.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Suncat --

I love the AK, and the SKS, for their reliability. Can soak them in mud and they still fire just fine, mud flying out of them left and right.

They'll never be as accurate as a well tuned AR, just not built for that purpose. But the AK was in part built due to research showing that the vast majority of firefights occur well within 100 yards, so it's just not needed to be accurate past 250. Matters for serious hunting, but not for defense or even small game, woodland or varmint hunting.

Of course you already know all of that, I'm just talking to hear myself talk about AKs b/c I will sit an an empty room at talk about guns.

the SKS can get a bit better accuracy, and still able to shoot while full of mud, but the AK is a better design for its purpose, closer range engagements with an enemy shooting back at you.

I think everyone needs an AR, SKS and an AK, and hopefully everyone needs 4-5 of each.

Rupp's Runt

I'm in 100% agreement with you CBBN!
    I honestly do not know a lot about the SKS, although I have shot a couple of them.
    The AK-47 I do know about due to my Army training with them. Uncle Sugar likes his troops well trained in the ways & equipment of our enemies, to that I can attest.
    I have always been amazed at how well an AK-47 will function flawlessly under the harshest conditions.
    I would love to see the Tavor that the Israelis are transitioning to, and the new rifles that our Chinese enemies are moving into as well. IIRC from my conversation with one of my old Army buddies, both rifles are comparable in form & function, if indeed it might be the same rifle.

Rupp's Runt

IIRC, he told me that the Israeli Tavor is chambered in 5.56 mm, while the Chinese rifle is in 5.45 mm?
    And after all of the complaining that the 5.56 mm isn't a good combat round? 😨

The chinese in 5.45 makes sense. for all the comparisons of the 5.56 and the 7.62, the Russians moved to the smaller 5.45x39 in the mid 70s and the AK74 was the the standard service weapon for the USSR and Eastern Bloc, despite the AK47 being the most popular military rifle in the history of the world.

Even the Soviets went with a lighter and higher velocity round more like the 5.56mm. Weight matters a lot and they're lighter and you can carry more.

It's interesting to me the AK74 really has little traction in the US. I've sold a couple, and some ammo, but the 7.62x39mm is the king of the non-US rounds no doubt.

I'm sorta out of the loop on the rifle discussion, but I mentioned that i had a couple other comments to make about the questions BEvans made and CitizenBBN's comments, so I'll add them here. Hope that doesn't mess up the discussion.

Back to the carry question.

The first thing is--if you're going to carry, carry. And if you're going to carry, make sure you get a gun you WILL carry. So to do that the first thing you have to decide may be the most important one.

How will you carry? Will the gun you choose fit those parameters?

I carry IWB (5%) and pocket carry (95%), although that can change at a moment's notice. The G 36 I have is plenty small enough for IWB, probably for almost anybody who carries that way. I have carried a slightly larger weapon, and have friends who do regularly, via IWB. But make sure that isn't too big/uncomfortable for you. Frankly, I *like* a slight discomfort feeling. I want to know it is there all the time. That's a huge plus to me when I carry in that fashion.

If you're an unusual person (I guess it's more unusual than other) and pocket carry, as I do, make sure you are even more comfortable with that. I have, for years, carried a Costanza-sized wallet (actually bigger) in my front pocket. I often carry a bunch of keys there, my cell phone, a decent-sized folding knife, etc. In short, I am used to carrying crap in my front pockets. When I pocket carry, I have two front pockets that have my stuff in it, but one of them is just my 36. Unless the pants have a very "short" pocket--which is unusual for me--it works very fine. But check your own clothes for the size of the pocket, and check your comfort level. If it's too big, and you will occasionally decide not to carry because of it, you have selected the wrong gun. (I do carry my revolver on rare occasion, and sometimes with two speed loaders-but it's rare).

I looked at the XDS CitizenBBN mentioned, and like it as a great choice as well. Have a buddy that went to buy one, and accidentally bought the 9mm version instead. He literally screwed up buying the caliber, but decided just to keep it, even though he had fairly similar 9mm weapon and no .45. Anyway, it's a tad smaller, although about the same weight, same height, just a tad shorter.

What I didn't like about it is the aggressive grip. Call me soft, but it was uncomfortable in my hand. YMMV. Great weapon, though. I think the normal mag is 5 rounds for it, rather than 6, unless you get the extended mag, so you lose a round as well.

Enough about carry, but I really think that's critical. If the 36 (or the XDS chambered in .45) is too big--fine, go with a compact 9mm. That's a better choice if you'll carry it.

Then let's move to shooting it. As CitizenBBN said, what you can shoot with and operate is key. I have a nice Smith & Wesson 39-2 9mm pistol that shoots oh-so sweet. But it's not as "natural" to me as the Glock. Safety and stuff just sorta messes with my mind, unless I'm target practicing. I don't like that. I like having an internal safety and nothing else. I want to not have to think, but react when self-defense is an issue. For me, it's critical that all I have to do is to aim and fire and not worry about whether safety is on or off. Just don't like a thumb safety.

Shooting itself. There are a lot of reviews on the internet--here's one that I think hits much of the things I like about the 36.

Very accurate. The author says "extremely accurate at 30 feet." That's about as good as you can expect, IMHO.

Recoil--in the words of the article, "Perfect." The author expected it to have "major recoil" and to "jump" and "crack" similar to his S&W shield .40 caliber, especially since he was working with a compact .45.

Instead--nothing like that at all. "Very easy" handling. I can also attest to that.

Author rated the 36 on a 5.0 point scale and had "recoil" at a perfect 5.0. For a compact .45 caliber? Are you kidding? Nope--I can shoot it all day, and it stays on target.

Anyway, I didn't mean to tout the 36 like this, but I do think it is a vastly underrated Glock with a super-nice niche, if it fits your lifestyle.

If not--there is absolutely nothing wrong with a G 43 which feels fantastic in your hand, or the XDS (.45 or 9mm), as long as you don't have baby soft hands where the aggressive grip is not comfortable.

But shoot whatever you think you want. What a huge key. What I think is "great" recoil, you may find not pleasing for whatever reason. Also, Glocks in general have a different angle (depending on generation), and some like it, some love it, some hate it. So put it in your hand and make sure you like it. I do. A lot. I try others and just don't like them as much. I think it fits my height very well, but if you're shorter or taller, it may impact how you hold the weapon, too. You want it straight without thinking, as a self-defense weapon.

JMO on all of this nonsense. The keys:

* Get something you will carry. If it's not comfortable for you, and you won't carry it sometime, try another weapon.
    * Get something you like to shoot and practice with it. Don't assume that just because a caliber is bigger it will have monster recoil or something. A smaller weapon may have a "snappier" recoil, a "flip," or something that will make shooting not as pleasant, and possibly that double tap shot not nearly as accurate. Or the smaller caliber may fit perfectly for you.

But shoot it and see, if at all possible.

Great post D. Great point that the first thing is to get something you WILL carry. I'm still working with one of the girls at my office finding something, but women dress different and wont' put up with pockets full of stuff, etc. Much harder to figure out.

There's a reason all of these guns sell a lot, b/c there's no one right best answer. Gotta be the right gun for the person.

Rupp's Runt

Those are great points, Darrell.
    I don't know if anyone here will remember something that I said about buying a handgun on this forum many years ago, but I stand by it, and you kind of echoed my thoughts with your above post. If you're going to buy a handgun, be sure to pick it up, hold it, and feel it in your hand. If it doesn't fit in your hand at that moment, it is not the right handgun for you.
    It has to fit and feel natural in your hand, regardless of caliber. If it doesn't fit in your hand, it's not for you.
    Caliber really isn't all that important. But shot placement is, especially in the "Oh No!" situation that I pray none of you ever finds yourself in!
    The handgun must be comfortable in your hand. And ease of operation is the next most important factor, so if you buy it, practice with it. Train smart, practice good habits, know your gun and what you and it can do.
    And follow the formula for success: 1)have a good grip on the weapon; 2)proper stance; 3)get a good sight picture; 4) proper breathing technique, which is breathe out as you squeeze the trigger; 5)squeeze the trigger, let the gun going off surprise you. DON'T slap or snap the trigger.

Rupp's Runt

Darrell, I checked out your holster video. Good choice, and Mr. Mika sounds like a wiley professional, and probably truly is with over 20 years with the LAPD. Thanks for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Darrell, I checked out your holster video. Good choice, and Mr. Mika sounds like a wiley professional, and probably truly is with over 20 years with the LAPD. Thanks for the video.
    He's a really good guy, Suncat. I had two conversations with him over a piddly little purchase I made. As I said, the first one was on New Year's Eve just to tell me he had my order, and the time frame he'd have for making it. The second one was his offer to replace something the post office lost (they found it later)--at his cost, not mine. Crazy good service. And the product is great. I hope anyone who needs a pocket holster will consider using him.

Rupp's Runt

The prices are certainly very good.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Great post D. Great point that the first thing is to get something you WILL carry. I'm still working with one of the girls at my office finding something, but women dress different and wont' put up with pockets full of stuff, etc. Much harder to figure out.

There's a reason all of these guns sell a lot, b/c there's no one right best answer. Gotta be the right gun for the person.
    Women are difficult.

I started to say with this area, but really, do I need to add anything beyond those three words?

The revolver I carry is really meant for my oldest daughter. I have two of them, identical S&W 640's. (I misspoke earlier and said 642, which is what they sell now in the lightweight alloy. Both of mine are the heavy stainless steel, circa 1990, but both of mine are 38 special only--they made them around then where they could be chambered in 38 special and .357, which would have been cool, but I don't have those).

My F-I-L thought they would be idea for women's carry because they have an internal hammer, and won't snag (which makes it nice for pocket carry), thinking they could put it in a purse and carry. I'm not a huge fan of purse carry for a lot of reasons, and I bet you aren't either, but women provide a dilemma on how to outfit them with a carry weapon, for sure. Eventually I will give at least one of them to my middle daughter, who I know will carry, and the other--maybe--to my oldest daughter. If I give them both away, I'll probably pick up a 3rd for me. I like it as a rare weapon to carry to fit a peculiar niche, and really, everybody ought to have a revolver. It's as heavy as my Glock 36, though, almost to the ounce, and about a half-pound heavier than the alloy version. I like that.

Trivia: Off duty NYPD police officer entered the World Trade Center during the September 11 attacks, and he carried a Model 640 as his backup gun. It was recovered from the site after the attacks and donated by his family to the NRA National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia, which I bet would be a cool place to visit.

https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.p...20640&uid=1575
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 11-10-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Man....Mark's Outdoors here in Birmingham has the Glock 17 on sale Friday (Gen 3, though) for $399.

I'm very tempted. I want the 19, though, and I am not going to get both.

Rupp's Runt

Wasn't planning on this but my coworker sold me a 380 Ruger. Avoiding the paper work is always tempting to me.

Budd picked up a Smith and Wesson 642 revolver (similar to mine, but aluminum) for $269 after sale price and two separate $50 rebates.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Budd picked up a Smith and Wesson 642 revolver (similar to mine, but aluminum) for $269 after sale price and two separate $50 rebates.
    I've seen some really good firearms deals this weekend. A local independent gun shop had a Smith and Wesson SD40 for under $300 after discounts and S&W rebates. The local Rural King's gun barn was packed yesterday evening when I stopped by for chicken feed.

Rupp's Runt

My Current gun wish list

Does this count? I just bought these. I've been trying for 10 years to get the wife comfortable around guns. We had some Bass Pro gift cards and tried to get her a 22 pistol. She was actually thinking about it, but on the way in, she said I'd like to learn to shoot a bow. So we bought this youth recurve to play with (big enough for her). The Disney bow is for my 3 year old. Figured they could learn together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 11-27-2017 at 09:47 AM.

My Current gun wish list

Does this count? I just bought these. I've been trying for 10 years to get the wife comfortable around guns. We had some Bass Pro gift cards and tried to get her a 22 pistol. She was actually thinking about it, but on the way in, she said I'd like to learn to shoot a bow. So we bought this youth recurve to play with (big enough for her). The Disney bow is for my 3 year old. Figured they could learn together.

Tell the truth. The second one is for you, right?

Rupp's Runt

My Current gun wish list

Tell the truth. The second one is for you, right?
    I'm sure I will shoot it

I kind of want a bow. Been looking at the Bear Cruzer. Just want something fun to shoot, not to hunt. Maybe this will allow that.

I'm sure I will shoot it

I kind of want a bow. Been looking at the Bear Cruzer. Just want something fun to shoot, not to hunt. Maybe this will allow that.

I've been wanting a crossbow, just to have to shoot at bales of hay.

Rupp's Runt

I've been wanting a crossbow, just to have to shoot at bales of hay.
    I've debated on both. If she actually shoots this bow, I'll probably join her so we can have a hobby together. Otherwise, I would lean toward a crossbow.

Hey, Suncat -- or anybody with a .38....

Buddy of mine just picked up a S&W 442 revolver, and he's trying to do his due diligence on what ammo to use. Do you (or anyone that carries a .38) have anything specific to offer?

I have Hornady critical defense hollow points in mine, but he's the type that likes to know the exact grain, whether it's hollow point or not (or some variation), etc. He said that he heard that hollow points may not be the best in this weapon due to the lack of velocity not giving it time to expand? I haven't heard that, but I confess to just picking up something reliable with a good reputation, and being happy with it.

He was thinking Speer Gold Dot as well, which I know is good. He was also asking about +P ammo.

Anything specific?
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 12-07-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Buddy of mine just picked up a S&W 442 revolver, and he's trying to do his due diligence on what ammo to use. Do you (or anyone that carries a .38) have anything specific to offer?

I have Hornady critical defense hollow points in mine, but he's the type that likes to know the exact grain, whether it's hollow point or not (or some variation), etc. He said that he heard that hollow points may not be the best in this weapon due to the lack of velocity not giving it time to expand? I haven't heard that, but I confess to just picking up something reliable with a good reputation, and being happy with it.

He was thinking Speer Gold Dot as well, which I know is good. He was also asking about +P ammo.

Anything specific?
    I wouldn't use +P ammo in that .38 until I called S&W and asked them about using +P loads in it. If it is for self defense I'd use regular .38 spl hollow point loads, but that's me. If I wanted a hotter load I'd go with a .357 Magnum.

Rupp's Runt

Anything specific?
    I keep Hornady Critical Defense in my S&W .38 special, and I have Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Lite in my daughter's LC9.
    If I didn't use the Hornady loads, my next choice would be Speed Gold Dot. Either is an excellent choice.
    As far as using +P ammo, if the gun is engineered to withstand the higher pressures, then I see nothing wrong with it. And if the individual doing the shooting doesn't mind the extra recoil.
    But I would definitely check with whoever manufactures the handgun to see if it is rated for +P ammo.

The Smith & Wesson 442 is rated for continuous +P use, so it's just a question of whether it's better for him to use or not. Thanks for the notes and comments, guys--I'm passing them along to him.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 12-09-2017 at 04:21 PM.