Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Looks very good, Dan. I like that a lot.

Re: My Current gun wish list

Darrell, I can pick you up a nice bolt action 22, mag fed. No problem. I get a number of the older Remingtons, they're all great rifles. I won't send you mine, it was my uncle's, but I get them through from estates. One of the things I find most often, along with double barrel shotguns.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Mag fed are limited to LR cartridges aren't they?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

My Current gun wish list

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Darrell, I can pick you up a nice bolt action 22, mag fed. No problem. I get a number of the older Remingtons, they're all great rifles. I won't send you mine, it was my uncle's, but I get them through from estates. One of the things I find most often, along with double barrel shotguns.
    Keep an eye out for one for me, CBBN. Something inexpensive that I could use in my backyard against critters when needed. Would appreciate it.

Depends Dan. I have shot all 3 in my old Remington. I wouldn't want to rely on it for military speed bolt maneuvers, but it worked OK for plinking. LR would be more reliable but I shot shorts OK. Had to just load it slower. That was a Remington 511 ( the mag fed version of the 510) the Targetmaster.

It's been 30 years though since I shot shorts in it, back when I was a kid and shot whatever I could get.

I could get him a gallery gun, they were designed for shorts, or the newer Taurus remake, but someone is on a budget, not mentioning any names....

Wonder if the old Nylon series would shoot shorts. I get those in OK condition too for a fair price, but not as cheap as the older Remingtons. I can get a good one with a little wear for $100 pretty readily. Nicer ones are more of course, sold one in near mint last gun auction that did a lot better bc it's dang hard to find one 99% original finish and no pitting. Those things were used by every kid in America.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Keep an eye out for one for me, CBBN. Something inexpensive that I could use in my backyard against critters when needed. Would appreciate it.
    Do you need to cycle fast or is this a single shot type endeavor? Dan is right shorts don't cycle as well even in these older guns even if they are marked for it. Of course the single shots are all options too, but I do prefer the mag, even if you have to finesse it it's still easier.

With a tube magazine, I never have any problems at all shooting either in my Remington semiauto. I did not know if that would be true with a clip/box magazine.
    seeya
    dan

I thought he may do better with a tube fed as well. I haven't used one with shorts really in forever. Don't own any, have used a few but not owned one.

Oh, my "need" for it is probably minimal. But my perceived need is plinking, and occasional eradication of varmints up close. To that extent, if a well-placed shot (or a well-intended) does not accomplish the task, certainly, I'd like to be able to get round # 2 off quickly enough. I wouldn't call it rapid fire, though.

Definitely want to be able to defend yourself when that racoon turns on you
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Definitely want to be able to defend yourself when that racoon turns on you
    The butt of the rifle will work better than the 22 at that range.

The butt of the rifle will work better than the 22 at that range.
    I was watching "top 10 most dangerous moments" of the TV show, "Swamp People" last night. "Bruce" from (Hammond?) was one at the top. He was out alligator fishing/hunting by himself. He was explaining how careful he was, and showed his rifle, along with a backup revolver he kept in a minnow bucket, along with his knife.

Anyway, he fell out of the boat (of course) with the alligator, and his life was (apparently) in danger. He reaches into the front pocket of his overalls, pulls out a snub-nosed revolver (the other was more like a Colt long barrelled thing), and he snipes the gator on top of him. He kinda grins, and says it's hard to miss from 2 inches away.

I don't want to test that theory with a coon, thanks.

Remington, Winchester, Springfield, etc all made single shot bolt action .22s that ate any ammo you loaded in them.

Rupp's Runt

You need this one Darrell. Actually can't wait until my girls can get something like this.

Attachment 6145

I tried to get him a hot purple SCCY, no go. Said he wanted Tennessee Orange or nothing.

The cricket rifles are fun. I started with a full size 22, but anything that gets kids into shooting is great in my book.

Chuck, if you ever run into a "RJ Stevens model 311, double barreled 3" mag . Double triggers, also the longer barrels would be preferred let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    You need this one Darrell. Actually can't wait until my girls can get something like this.

Attachment 6145
    I tried to get him a hot purple SCCY, no go. Said he wanted Tennessee Orange or nothing.

The cricket rifles are fun. I started with a full size 22, but anything that gets kids into shooting is great in my book.
    That would *almost* work lol.

That would *almost* work lol.
    This is probably more in line with what you will want: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+22+LR+21%22+1

Mossberg plinkster bolt action. IMG_2221.JPG

I wouldn't mind having one of those.
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 02-25-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    This is probably more in line with what you will want: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+22+LR+21%22+1

Mossberg plinkster bolt action. IMG_2221.JPG

I wouldn't mind having one of those.
    Yessir, that looks like it would do just fine.

The Marlin XT-22 is also a good $200 option: http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/ma...xxxrif?&color=

IMG_2222.JPG

I like that Glock 43, too. I have the model 36, and like the single stack a lot in .45 ACP. If she'll carry the 43, I'd be a big proponent of that.

If 9mm is more than she wants to carry, have you looked at the Glock 42? It's chambered in .380, which I personally don't like as well, but a lot of people do, and it seems to be a happy compromise option.
    So Mrs. BEvans just got the Ruger SR22, which now has me thinking of a concealed carry weapon of my own. I'm still thinking the Glock 43, but the Glock 36 in .45 ACP has me intrigued. For Darrell and anyone who's fired both, what are your thoughts?
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I prefer shooting the 36 and carrying the 43 (if I owned it, which I don't).

I carry two different ways and I'm fine with the single stack 36, but a buddy of mine says it's just too big for him to carry. That defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

It's not at all for me, although there are times I carry the S&W 642, 38 revolver when it's just better due to what I'm wearing or circumstances.

But I love shooting the 36. Has a nice cannon like sound, isn't snappy and doesn't kick up like some lighter guns, and will have the knockdown power if it is ever needed. I'm just a huge fan of it. With one in the chamber it has 7 shots, and I sometimes carry an extra magazine or two.

I would have no hesitation recommending the 43, though. I think 9mm is fine, even as much as I like 45 caliber.

Can't go wrong with the Glock. Haven't shot either of those but most I talk to are with Darrell, they like the 36 but it can be just a hair big for carry in many circumstances.

I mostly carry revolvers, though I do have a Kel Tec 380 and a 9mm that I use when the revolver wont' work. The 380 doesn't have much punch but you can hide it anywhere. That's the same size as the Ruger LCR and several others.

I recommend one of those as your backup to your carry. When I'm going somewhere and just can't wear the revolver I can carry that 380 in a pocket holster. At least it's something, and I'm a good shot, so it ought to be useful.

But if I were looking for a new piece right now I'd add to taht GLock list the Springfield xds. They have a single stack 45 that is 5+1 capacity and really small. It's comparable to the Glock 43. About the same length, a hair longer in the grip though, which isn't all bad (4.25" v 4.4").

Anyway, it's one I'd definitely go test if I were in the market in that size range.

Of course outside that there are a host of others, from the S&Ws to the Beretta Nano (9mm).

IMO, and you already know this, the biggest thing is to get to a range or at least a store and hold everything you're considering. In the end all of these guns are high end, very reliable guns you can count on. Then it's just down to what you can shoot and operate well.

Rupp's Runt

Not really on my list but I got a good deal on a few AK magazines. Now I need an AK...

AK? what kind? I've got a Draco pistol, Romanian WASRs, Saiga, Norinco MAK90s. let me know.

Had a Saiga 12 gauge, sold it, may have wished I kept that one. Got a Century in 308, couple of other odder pieces.

Rupp's Runt

Honestly I do not know much about them. Never wanted one until about 8 hours ago lol I was buying a few AR magazines and got these at a deal with that. I fear 30 round mags will get banned at some point so I bought them.

PSA has some decent prices but that is about as far as I have researched. PM me your prices.

I do like the 7.62x39 round, just never wanted an AK.

Rupp's Runt

Nothing rare and expensive. Just something that shoots and is dependable.

I'll see what I've got. I don't deal much these days but I have a good stock of SKSs and AKs left among other things.

Rupp's Runt

I like the AK because it will shoot under the harshest of conditions. Extremely reliable. But not accurate past about 250 yards, no matter how clean you keep the barrel & the action. And the price of the 7.62 x 39 ammo is excellent in today's market.
    But I am a little prejudiced towards my AR-15 and it's variants, it's what I was trained in and know the most about.
    But there is nothing wrong with an AK. Nothing.
    Speaking of which, before we left for the Philippines & Australia, I had a chance to handle & shoot a Gen 5 Glock 19.
    Let's just say that I am now officially on board with Glock. I could see myself buying one of these for either "the Boss" or myself.

Rupp's Runt

I also really like the S&W M&P Compact in 9mm. Small, very accurate, and the prices on them are actually a bit cheaper than the Gen 5 Glock 19. Just a very nice piece of gun hardware.