Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Current gun wish list

My Current gun wish list

Hoping that prices stay the same, or go down, until I have some excess spending money. That might be 2032.

It has changed from time to time. I was really hot for the Taurus Judge for awhile. Now, not so much, as my "living" has changed a little and travel to the point where I don't think it would be as useful.

At this point, I'm interested in...

◘ Glock 19. Just a staple that I really would like to have. I like 9mm, have one Smith & Wesson 39-2 that I like to shoot, but don't really want as a true self-defense weapon. More on that in a minute. 3rd generation would be fine for me; I like the angle of the grip as opposed to what everybody else in the world makes, and what Glock is trying to "fix" with later weapons.

◘ 20 gauge pump shotgun with a pistol grip. At home, self-defense, and something my wife might use if needed. Found a Stevens model that GunsAmerica wrote an article on that I really liked, for $264 and the price on that was great.

◘ I have mentioned that I want a .22 rifle from time to time--shouldn't everybody own one of these? I have, for months, said I wanted a bolt action, maybe something that would take a 7-shot magazine. Not an automatic, because I intend to use some subsonic ammunition in it that won't cycle in an automatic, so I have a peculiar use for it. Probably ought to be the first purchase I make.

◘ Not a gun, but I mentioned above that I like the Smith & Wesson 39-2. I do need to get it fitted with a laser sight, and potentially have my wife get used to that gun, although I'm not sure that I like it. I like the KISS principle on the defense weapons, and the safety I like is just an internal safety, and not an external one, so that there are fewer things to remember when the need arises to use the weapon. That goes back to the Glock 19, which I think my wife could use better than the S&W 39-2, although it is a sweet shooting pistol.

Re: My Current gun wish list

Mrs. BEvans has been talking awhile about getting her concealed carry license. A colleague of hers invited us out to his farm for some shooting. We shot about 10 different handguns, and I came away really liking the Glock 43 and she really liked a Walther P22 that her colleague's wife carries. They both said that if we go with a 22 to look at the Ruger SR22. So those are the 2 guns we're thinking about right now.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

.22 Revolver S&W (34?) stainless for the bride

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Mrs. BEvans has been talking awhile about getting her concealed carry license. A colleague of hers invited us out to his farm for some shooting. We shot about 10 different handguns, and I came away really liking the Glock 43 and she really liked a Walther P22 that her colleague's wife carries. They both said that if we go with a 22 to look at the Ruger SR22. So those are the 2 guns we're thinking about right now.
    I like that Glock 43, too. I have the model 36, and like the single stack a lot in .45 ACP. If she'll carry the 43, I'd be a big proponent of that.

If 9mm is more than she wants to carry, have you looked at the Glock 42? It's chambered in .380, which I personally don't like as well, but a lot of people do, and it seems to be a happy compromise option.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    .22 Revolver S&W (34?) stainless for the bride
    That's an attractive revolver, if it's the one I'm thinking of. What kind of grips would you get on it?

If you're going 22 for self defense I'd lean towards getting it in 22 WMR, a decent step up in punch for no real difference in recoil. Not many autos in it but you can get revolvers with LR/WMR cylinders, or derringers of course. NAA and others make some tiny, VERY tiny 22s even in WMR.

The Walther P22 is a slick gun to shoot. There are reports that it doesn't cycle well with all ammo, the slide is fairly heavy for a 22 to have enough force to cycle. The CCI minimags will work in it like a charm, but I've shot several types through it and been fine.

For non-carry it's hard to beat the old Ruger Standards and later Mark Series. A little funky to take down but it's a tack driver of a gun and easy to shoot. I keep one just for carry classes as a loaner b/c it's something everyone can shoot pretty well.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I enjoy my Mark I standard. Very fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    That's an attractive revolver, if it's the one I'm thinking of. What kind of grips would you get on it?
    It is. Wife wants nothing to do with semi-auto. I dont blame her, and I already have the High Standard and Ruger target pistols. What I dont want is one of the cheapies floating around, or the Ruger SingleShot. Been lookin for a while, enuff to know. The Rugers that are double action none shot are a bit big for her hand.

The stock grips are small, good for a small hand.
    Last edited by bigsky; 01-26-2017 at 03:21 PM.

My list is kind of short, for me. A 9mm semi-auto, really like the looks of the S&W M&P9. A Ruger Vaquero in .357; I like shooting a single action for fun. A Mossberg MVP Patrol, this is a bolt-action rifle chambered in .223 and uses the same magazine as my AR.

I'm going to ask for CCW here in Sonoma County California.....could get interesting
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Please let us know what happens after they stop laughing, or maybe they do not laugh and move right to calling the local police dept.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    I'm going to ask for CCW here in Sonoma County California.....could get interesting
    Wow, good luck. That is to say, did you just have a day to kill?

I don't pretend to be an expert in Cali CCDW laws, but as I get it it's up to the county sheriff as to whether to give one out and in most counties they simply don't issue them. Actually that was a common situation in a lot of states and the legislatures put in "shall issue" laws where presumption was reversed and they had to issue unless there was cause to deny, as specified in the law.

Cali still is "may issue", and they just refuse to do it unless you're important enough. I'll be very curious to hear about your experience.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    My list is kind of short, for me. A 9mm semi-auto, really like the looks of the S&W M&P9. A Ruger Vaquero in .357; I like shooting a single action for fun. A Mossberg MVP Patrol, this is a bolt-action rifle chambered in .223 and uses the same magazine as my AR.
    Those Mossberg MVP rifles are nice rifles. I'd like to have one of those myself, with a good optic on it, like a Burris Eliminator. It never hurts to have a good bolt action rifle in the safe.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Those Mossberg MVP rifles are nice rifles. I'd like to have one of those myself, with a good optic on it, like a Burris Eliminator. It never hurts to have a good bolt action rifle in the safe.
    I really like Savage bolt action rifles, but like that the Mosberg MVP accepts the same mags that my AR takes.

Burris makes some very good optics. I have a Burris Fullfield II on my Savage 110 30-06, makes a great deer combo.

Rupp's Runt
    Just agreed to buy one, not really on my wish list. Custom build AR .556 from a friend for $550. We haven't agreed on the details of what is coming on it yet, but I don't really mind. I just like that the liberals won't know I have it. He needed to sell it to buy a shotgun so it works for both of us.

I've been wanting an AR style rifle, but didn't really want the 556.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity what did you want it in if not 556?

Rupp's Runt

My Current gun wish list

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Out of curiosity what did you want it in if not 556?
    I've thought about the .556, so me saying I didn't want it is not really accurate.

But if I could prioritize my list:

I would like a 7.62, like the mutant or something along those lines. An AR/AK hybrid. But most of those are more than I want to spend.

Next would be an AR9.

Even thought about AR that shoots the 410 round.

Those 3 just because I have that ammo already.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I've thought about the .556, so me saying I didn't want it is not really accurate.

But if I could prioritize my list:

I would like a 7.62, like the mutant or something along those lines. An AR/AK hybrid. But most of those are more than I want to spend.

Next would be an AR9.

Even thought about AR that shoots the 410 round.

Those 3 just because I have that ammo already.

By 7.62 are you referring to the 7.62x39? The Ruger Mini 30 is something that falls into a similar category.

Rupp's Runt

My Current gun wish list

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    By 7.62 are you referring to the 7.62x39? The Ruger Mini 30 is something that falls into a similar category.
    How does it compare to the SKS?

The Mini 30 is a good gun, the 7.62 chambering of the Mini 14 (which is 556).

The difference really is the difference between American guns and Soviet style guns. Better made, more machined, more precise, versus looser but able to function in a mud puddle. The Mini 30 is plenty reliable and better in harsh conditions than a lot of american guns, arguably more so than the AR platform, but probably not as good in super harsh conditions as the SKS or AK. The looser tolerances of those designs mean they are just harder to mess up.

that said Ruger makes a great gun and I've never seen a side by side test and if I had a Mini 14 or 30 I wouldn't soak them in a mud puddle to do said test.

I recently sold a Saiga in 12 ga, really hated to sell it. AK platform with a 10 round 12 gauge mag. Now that's a home defense gun.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    How does it compare to the SKS?

It is much better built, has detachable magazines, and is overall a lot better gun. There are loads of aftermarket accessories for the mini 30 and the mini 14 both. The name comes from the rifle resembling a smaller M-14, but mechanically it is closer to the M1 Garand.

I consider my SKS a poor boy's Mini 30. If I had the spare cash lying around I'd swap my SKS for one in a hurry, and I really like my SKS. Here is the Ruger page: http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/models.html

Bud's has them priced where they are at most places, a buck or two under $800. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/69842

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

I recently sold a Saiga in 12 ga, really hated to sell it. AK platform with a 10 round 12 gauge mag. Now that's a home defense gun.
    That may have been a good investment gun. They are harder to come by and inching toward that 4 digit mark in price, and in some cases have eclipsed the $1K barrier.

Just a note that I spent a few minutes with the G43 the other day when my daughter's fiance was in town. It is his CCW. I had my G36 out, and was amazed at how much smaller and more concealable the G43 was that the G36.

I really like the .45 caliber for me, but man...for conceability, you can't beat the G43, and still with more than adequate power (IMHO).

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I like that Glock 43, too. I have the model 36, and like the single stack a lot in .45 ACP. If she'll carry the 43, I'd be a big proponent of that.

If 9mm is more than she wants to carry, have you looked at the Glock 42? It's chambered in .380, which I personally don't like as well, but a lot of people do, and it seems to be a happy compromise option.

Rupp's Runt
    Got the AR today. Hope to shoot it this weekend.

In the past two months I've acquired a couple of toys:

The HK VP9 - (9mm)

VP9.jpg

Walther made HK 22lr MP5

MP5.jpg

Both are fun to shoot. Wanted the VP9 for my full sized gun. I have a 9mm S&W Sheild for my CC.

That MP5 makes you feel like a Nazy Seal . It's badass!
    I don't mind that it is a 22 because if I'm going to go thru that many rounds I'd rather pay $0.10 a round than $0.25.
    Follow me on Twitter @krcrider

Darrell, if you are looking for a nice.22 rifle you might try the .22 pump that Henry sells. You can shot .22 short and.22 long and a .22lr all the same time. Hope this helps

Rupp's Runt

THE very best. 22 LR rifle made is easily the Ruger 10-22. Hands down, at least in my humble opinion.
    MOLON LABE!

I love the idea of a 22 pump rifle. That one looks great. Unfortunately, it is out of my price range for the little toy I'd like. That one sure looks good, though.

My Current gun wish list

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    THE very best. 22 LR rifle made is easily the Ruger 10-22. Hands down, at least in my humble opinion.
    I think that's a pretty widespread opinion, and the price is very good for what you get. Unfortunately, I am not looking for a semi-automatic for the cycling reasons of using subsonic ammo. You know me, I always have these peculiar things.

This might be an option. It handles , shorts, longs, and long rifle ammo in a tube magazine, and is not to pricey at this online store. Reviews are good but they all seem to indicate it is ammo brand sensitive. So find one that works well for you and stick to it

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...26495708238.do
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.