Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: The Chicago Way

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: The Chicago Way

One party rule by any party for very long is a bad idea. It's especially bad when that one party believes government should have its hand in every aspect of everything b/c it creates all the more concentration of power and thus temptation of corruption.

Chicago has been corrupt since before Prohibition, though Prohibition seems to have turned it into high gear. The Democratic machine has been in charge there a long time, and the city is crumbling. I don't know if a GOP machine that deeply entrenched would have done as bad but there's no doubt they've done a terrible job with the city.

And it's a great city in many ways, but its government is only a drag on it.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 01-16-2017 at 07:17 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    One party rule by any party for very long is a bad idea. It's especially bad when that one party believes government should have its hand in every aspect of everything b/c it creates all the more concentration of power and thus temptation of corruption.

Chicago has been corrupt since before Prohibition, though Prohibition seems to have turned it into high gear. The Democratic machine has been in charge there a long time, and the city is crumbling. I don't know if a GOP machine that deeply entrenched would have done as bad but there's no doubt they've done a terrible job with the city.

And it's a great city in many ways, but its government is only a drag on it.
    Most big cities that have been under Democrat control for a very long time are corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Most big cities that have been under Democrat control for a very long time are corrupt.
    And bankrupt or nearly so. Mostly by doling out all those juicy pensions and favors for votes year after year. Spending other people's money.

Don't get me wrong, ALL politicians are guilty of doing that, GOP and Dem alike, any party in power seems to love spending our money to insure they stay in power.

But the ax will fall on the liberal big cities first, who have overspent themselves silly for decades. They'll be the first proof that the endless deficit neo-Keynesian view is just rotten tripe. They won't be the last.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Miami, Jacksonville FL, Atlanta, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit, Washington D.C., Denver, Kansas City (both), Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, New York, Boston, Baltimore, Portland, Seattle..........LOUISVILLE.......
    MOLON LABE!

Fab Five

You could apply this same comment to our beloved Commonwealth. How is a state the size of Kentucky going to bail out of a $30 Billion pension liability. I know some of it is funny money, but whether it is $3B or $30B it is a big a** problem. Sad thing is the state employees are mad at the people trying to fix the problem.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    You could apply this same comment to our beloved Commonwealth. How is a state the size of Kentucky going to bail out of a $30 Billion pension liability. I know some of it is funny money, but whether it is $3B or $30B it is a big a** problem. Sad thing is the state employees are mad at the people trying to fix the problem.
    Bevin is putting it at a lot more than $30B total, b/c you have to add in a lot of little set aside stuff. The last I heard they said they hadn't even finished counting it all and they were double that number.