Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Return of the Greatest Television Show of All Time and HOW to Watch It

Re: The Return of the Greatest Television Show of All Time and HOW to Watch It

New teaser released by Showtime... "The Women of Twin Peaks" (all footage from the original series)...

"Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Twin Peaks Teaser Puzzles... 1 of 4...

TP Puzzle 2 of 4...

TP Puzzle 3 of 4...

TP Puzzle 4 of 4...

I was sure this thread was going to be about Mythbusters.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Finally, an actual trailer with nothing but footage from the new Twin Peaks has been released. Of course, there is NOTHING in the way of a spoiler included. Lynch has it all wrapped up tight.

I will post the link here, but speaking of spoilers, I wanted to let anyone know who is keeping up with this thread or has an interest in Twin Peaks, generally, that Showtime has done something ridiculous (probably sensible in their broadcast worldview of getting as many eyes as possible glued to the screen when the new show premieres on May 21st) by editing together and releasing (on their web page for Twin Peaks) a three minute "catch-up" trailer for the first two seasons of the show, including key moments from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

So if you go to the Showtime web page for Twin Peaks, do NOT click that video if you have NOT seen the original series OR the film that came after from back in the day. Hell, I would even tell you to not click it if it's been a long time since you have seen the original series and film and just go watch it again because the very idea of a trailer to catch you up for the entire Twin Peaks up until now is just plain stupid. It's not that type of a show, pure and simple. By engaging with a "Cliff Notes" version, you are missing the whole point of NEEDING the details of the show to make it work, logically, and most certainly, aesthetically.

Okay, off the soapbox... BTW, there are other teasers on that Showtime webpage that include spoilers too, but I have ONLY included teasers on THIS thread that have NO spoilers. Just let me be your guide, lol.

Anyways, so here is the FIRST actual trailer with new footage from the new Twin Peaks (including ONLY cast members from the original series, but now aged)....

Last edited by Krank; 05-04-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Call this a "bragging" teaser, if you like... of course, it ain't bragging if it's TRUE!...

There has been another NEW trailer released. Like the last one, it's all footage from the new series, but this one includes new faces to the show...

One "calendar day" away now.

Here's a cool link to a countdown. Not sure if I posted this before...

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/countdown/

It's officially the 21st of May... and 21 hours until the two-hour premiere of the return of Twin Peaks.

Then immediately following the premiere, the next two hours, or parts as Lynch prefers titling them, will be available on demand.

That's four of the eighteen hours produced for this "limited series", which Kyle MacLachlan alluded to at last night's world premiere in Hollywood as "likely" more than just this one season. He did admit that was just going on a vibe from his interactions with David Lynch and Mark Frost, the show's co-creators.

I've been waiting 27 years for this (although the characters have only aged 25 years). I've recently re-watched the entire series and Fire Walk With Me, just finishing up yesterday, and now I am SO ready to see what's next in the World of Twin Peaks.

"It is Happening Again."

Indeed.
    Last edited by Krank; 05-20-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Less than two hours away...

Peakers from ALL over are losing their damned minds...

which includes myself...

not that such wasn't already common knowledge.

"The Owls are NOT What They Seem."

Twin Peaks Parts 3 & 4 (two hours together, but can be accessed through streaming or On Demand as separate hours) will be broadcast tonight at 9 PM ET on Showtime.

I have already seen them, but plan on watching them again tonight.

The four hours I have seen thus far of this return to Twin Peaks have been mind-blowing. So much so that I am still digesting it. The first two hours were so fascinating, possibly THE most fascinating I have ever seen on television, that I was in a near state of shock, or something like that, for a number of days.

Lynch clearly understood how much we old school Peakers had been anticipating the return.

And BOY did he bring the goods.

So far, just as it has always been, it is extremely interesting... and mysterious of course.

Still think I should edit this thread title since it doesn't discuss Firefly or anything to do with Star Trek.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

The Return of the Greatest Television Show of All Time and HOW to Watch It

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Still think I should edit this thread title since it doesn't discuss Firefly or anything to do with Star Trek.
    Star Trek - that's the Darth Vader thing, right?

(ducking)

Part 5 on tonight @ 9pm ET.

It's been almost two weeks since I first watched Part 4 so I'm stoked for some new weirditude from Lynch. So far the new series has been amazing.

Part 6 had a VERY interesting answer to one of Twin Peaks' oldest "little" mysteries. Really enjoyed that and it's got me anticipating Part 7 this Sunday night at 9 pm ET on Showtime.

Also, I just found this cool Playboy interview with Madchen Amick (who portrays Twin Peaks' iconic "Shelley Johnson", super beautiful waitress from the Double R Diner).

It's spoiler free, including the already-posted-on-this-thread trailer that appears on Playboy's webpage for the interview...

http://www.playboy.com/articles/madc...-peaks-profile

Incredible episode tonight. SO much to digest. I may have to watch it again before bed. LOTS of set ups for the Part 8.

Still can't believe Twin Peaks is back. Fun times!

Got this from one of the primary Twin Peaks' fan sites (i.e. approved by Lynch and Frost)...

"Tonight's Part 8 is 'like no other,' warns cinematographer Peter Deming. According to Kyle MacLachlan, it includes something David Lynch worked on for days without telling anyone."

Looking forward to tonight's episode also because the last one was one of the most key parts in the entire show, thus it sets up this one with a lot of intrigue.

One note for those who may have forgotten or did not know... "Part 9" will NOT appear next week. The show is not broadcasting on July 2nd due to the holiday, thus "Part 9" airs on Sunday, July 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    Got this from one of the primary Twin Peaks' fan sites (i.e. approved by Lynch and Frost)...

"Tonight's Part 8 is 'like no other,' warns cinematographer Peter Deming. According to Kyle MacLachlan, it includes something David Lynch worked on for days without telling anyone."

Looking forward to tonight's episode also because the last one was one of the most key parts in the entire show, thus it sets up this one with a lot of intrigue.

One note for those who may have forgotten or did not know... "Part 9" will NOT appear next week. The show is not broadcasting on July 2nd due to the holiday, thus "Part 9" airs on Sunday, July 9th.

WOW, did the above ever turn out to be true!

Over the years, I have often told friends that the last hour of the original Twin Peaks was the single weirdest AND coolest thing I had ever seen on television.

So far, the NEW Twin Peaks has eclipsed that FOUR (maybe five?) times when considering each part (each hour) of the show.

Last night blew them ALL away, including definitive influence from a very specific source, my personal fave movie EVER, Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Just as Lynch and his art have often been misunderstood through the years, Kubrick's art has had the same "problem", at least for those unprepared to be surprised by, and/or simply do not like being challenged by, what I call "deep art".

There's a semi-legendary story about Woody Allen who, despite what we have learned about him over the years vis-a-vis his "love interests" and how distasteful that aspect of his life has been to the public, was at one time considered one of the leading filmmakers, worldwide, when it comes to material that has a lot of deep thought put into it. At the very least, he has always been known as a VERY strong intellect in the world of film.

Funny thing is, the first time he watched 2001, he HATED it, lol, because he didn't understand it, wasn't ready for it, etc. Well, that was not at all an uncommon reaction. Kubrick had fans and haters of all of his most challenging works, Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, and 2001 in particular. Some years later, Allen was beleaguered by a friend to watch Kubrick's masterpiece again during a theatrical revival of it in LA, if my recollection is correct. On the second viewing, he LOVED it and thought it was one of the greatest films he had ever seen.

I was thinking about this when I was glued to the truly "crazy" visuals AND audio in last night's Twin Peaks, which included a piece by Polish avant-garde classical composer Krzysztof Penderecki.

Like the "notorious" transformation sequence in 2001, Lynch explores visuals that, while no doubt integral, ultimately, to connecting past and future plot points, are wildly original, unpredictable, and "not interested" in the typically narrow-focused linear storytelling that dictates 99.99999 % of all realms of art and music that also function as "entertainment", i.e a money-making enterprise. The music was so reminiscent of the eerie, dark, dissonant part of 2001's soundtrack for the above described sequence, composed by Hungarian avant-garde classical composer, Gyorgy Ligeti, that I really thought it WAS Ligeti.

I love seeing those influences of art on other art, particularly when you have a TRUE master like Lynch, who STILL has the understanding of what HE is looking for so that what he creates remains unquestionably unique, at least in art history or aesthetic philosophy.

One other interesting note, connecting Kubrick to Lynch, comes from a story by Duwayne Dunham, the wonderful editor of BOTH Twin Peaks AND Star Wars (don't recall which, if not all, of Star Wars Parts 4, 5, and 6 that he was included as editor, but it was a great gig for him either way and couldn't have been more different from what he did with Lynch).

He has claimed that, while working on Star Wars with Lucas in LA back in the day, that Lucas got a call from Kubrick and he invited the two of them over for dinner (I think) and to watch this incredible movie he had become obsessed with. Dunham has said (paraphrasing) that Kubrick told them he had watched this movie DOZENS (like 40 times or something insane like that, lol) of times during the past week and that he believed it was the greatest film he had ever laid eyes on.

The film had been directed by Lynch... his very first movie, made while he was IN film school at UCLA... Eraserhead.

For whatever reason, that AMAZED me when I first heard it, but then it made more sense later.

I believe guys like Kubrick and Lynch are such deeply invested artists, with SO much attention being paid to detail and composition in their own creations, that they can turn into "fanboys" of other art that challenges them because it makes them question their aesthetic biases and/or proclivities. To me, that is the essence of why great art MUST evolve for it to matter in the long run. It must, at least SOMEtimes, truly challenge what both artists and those who appreciate art come into a viewing or listening of a piece with "trained" expectations, i.e. HOW things are expected to be laid out for them to ingest without thought or question of what, why, and how it exists, etc.

Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts after viewing the most recent episode ("part") of what continues to be, BY FAR, the most challenging television program ever conceived or broadcast (which I consider to be as close to an objectively aesthetic fact as I can state without a second thought), whether anyone actually likes the show or not.

Twin Peaks challenges EVERYone who takes it in. For some, that's not a good thing. I feel sorry for those folks, but that's how I personally see it and I understand if others can't, or don't want to, "get there". For me, that challenge is truly one of the primary reasons that I am happy to be alive at this moment in history and is so affecting to me, that it can make me forget, however temporarily, the troubles of the World or those of my own, personally.
    Last edited by Krank; 06-26-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Reminder: Twin Peaks will not be broadcasting "Part 9" of the new show, as would be normal, tonight, due to the Independence Day weekend.

Now there IS currently a marathon of the original Twin Peaks on one of the Showtime channels as I type this, and of course you could stream it or get in On Demand from the beginning.

Meanwhile I need to try to deal with the lack of a new part tonight and fight withdrawal from "Lack of Lynch". I think I will watch everything from this new season, thus far, to be ready for Part 9 next Sunday night. I truly ALWAYS see things I missed before with repeat viewings of any Twin Peaks parts or episodes or the film.

Totally stoked for Part 9 tonight.

Not sure how Lynch is going to follow probably the wildest episode I have seen in the show's history, but one never has to worry. It will be interesting always, but some plot lines are coming to a head and I am guessing (wildly at that) some answers are coming to some pertinent questions.

Hard to tell though because Lynch is NOT shy about opening doors that his audience had no idea existed, thus he could do more of that tonight as well.

Part 9's end will be the midway point of this 18-part season, in actual film time, not necessarily calendar time, and it's already been a fascinating ride. Starting next week, though, Twin Peaks will be up against the debut of the new season of Game of Thrones, which will get back into it's normal Sunday, 9 pm, slot on HBO.

I loves me some GoT, but it'll have to wait to be watched AFTER Twin Peaks in my household.

Priorities.

Part 9 had a lot of key plot points engaged, albeit more "quietly" than did Part 8.

Looking forward to Twin Peaks Part 10 tonight with the same friends I typically watch with.

Afterwards, we will watch the first episode of the much-anticipated Season 7 of Game of Thrones.

Fun night!

I've noticed that there is a lot of anticipation of for Part 12 after Part 11's tendency to muddy some waters and set up some new plot threads as well as continuing the line of some others.

All roads lead to Twin Peaks, geographically it would seem, as we get deeper into the second half of this Return.

I am stoked as usual and have the same two friends coming over to watch that I get every week.

Lucky Part 13 starts tonight at a NEW time... 8 pm ET on Showtime for Twin Peaks.

Getting set to re-watch Part 12...

a ritual that has helped me see things not seen in a first viewing, but particularly helpful watched near to the broadcast of the new episode.

Been thinking about it all day. It will, as always, NOT disappoint.

The Return of the Greatest Television Show of All Time and HOW to Watch It

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to binge watch the entire series and see what I've been missing. Was it a Showtime original?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to binge watch the entire series and see what I've been missing. Was it a Showtime original?
    The original Twin Peaks was broadcast on ABC, but now Showtime has it all including the film, Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, which must be watched AFTER the original Season 2 and BEFORE the new 18 part series, which Showtime has titled "Twin Peaks The Return" so that it is understood to be the new series. Lynch simply titles both TV shows Twin Peaks, i.e. that's what's in the credits.

Whatever you do, completely avoid Showtime's batch of trailers at this point because one of them has a three-minute summary of the original series and is nothing but a bunch of spoilers, but the real problem with watching it is that it's the ultimate show NOT to get a three minute vibe on. It would make the rest of the show impossible to understand with so many details left out.

Twin Peaks is the ultimate show wherein the devil is in the details.

Just a word to the wise. And I know you ARE wise, bossman...

at least sometimes (insert winky icon here).

Still digesting the terrific Part 14 from Sunday. Lots of connections for advancing plot lines and, as usual, plenty of little surprises.

Twin Peaks NEVER disappoints.

Part 15 is on tonight at 8 pm ET on Showtime.

Including tonight's episode, there remains only 4 more parts, with the last two parts broadcast together as a two-hour finale on September 3rd.

So these last four parts should be pretty intense and involved as there have been a LOT of story threads that have been pointing toward SOME sort of resolution...

or NOT, lol... never can tell with David Lynch OR Twin Peaks.

Tonight's Part 16 of Twin Peaks should be crucial to set up next week's Parts 17 and 18, which will be presented all at once as a two hour season finale.

There are still SO many complicated story lines going that, inevitably, some will get closer to tying up OR moving forward in a different direction.

As usual, I expect the UNusual.

Can't wait!