Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Return of the Greatest Television Show of All Time and HOW to Watch It

Re: The Return of the Greatest Television Show of All Time and HOW to Watch It

As expected, Part 16 was FULL of relevant plot thread advancements, thus leading to tonight's TWO HOUR FINALE of Twin Peaks (The Return), i.e. Parts 17 and 18.

Historically, Twin Peaks has been INCREDIBLE when it comes to season endings. The original series' first season ended with MANY cliffhangers, with the last one of that episode being, at the time, the single greatest cliffhanger I had ever seen on television. THEN, once I saw the end of Season 2 (which we fans ALL believed was THE end of the show forever, at that time), THAT ending became the greatest cliffhanger ever. At the time, some folks were bewildered by it because almost nobody imagined how that original series would end, but I loved it because it was TRULY the perfect ending, based on how the "world of" Twin Peaks had been portrayed up until that point.

So expect the unexpected and expect NOTHING, meaning very very little will likely be easily predictable. Lynch had to write it in such a way that, at the very least, a myriad of plot lines will have to be advanced, possibly resolved, or left to hang until a theoretical Season 2 (fingers crossed), but as to how that will all be laid out in an aesthetic sense, good luck guessing.

I have a plan to watch with the same buddy I have been watching with since the beginning and we intend to, ahem, partake of something "enjoyable" to enhance the evening. I heartily recommend the same to anyone reading this thread.

All roads lead to Twin Peaks, and these last two parts will LIKELY be set in the actual town wherein mysteries MIGHT be solved while others begin anew.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Still not sure why this thread title has been allowed to remain and it's not about Firefly or even Star Trek.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

It's going to take me a little time to process all that was presented in last night's two-hour season finale of Twin Peaks.

Not only were so many plot threads tied, some into more neatly fastened loops, others weaved into ever tighter knots, but the great cliffhanger was there.

Which leads, inexorably to a Season Two.

Showtime better make that announcement soon or there will be a LOTTA pissed Peakers.

Last night's finale was, as expected, magnificent. As Kyle McLachlan described many weeks ago... relating the experience of working with Lynch and portraying such an interesting character with so many demands on range, context, and style... last night was two hours of "moving art", challenging viewers, peeling off layers and layers of depth in this series' natural progression to open wider that otherness that only Twin Peaks can seek and find.

Answers came... and went, and the questions multiplied, all geographical roads leading to Twin Peaks and "the darkness in these woods".

I couldn't help imagining McLachlan watching the finale for a few passing moments while I was knee deep into Lynch's world of "dreamers who live inside a dream" last night. He has insisted that he never watches the show any other way than "completely alone and in the dark", with not even family being present. As "Agent Cooper", McLachlan is THE star of this show, unquestionably, and the ONLY actor who was allowed to read the entire script, while other performers, held as all cast and crew were, to a promise of total blackout silence as to the parts they played or ANYthing that happened during the filming of the show, only knew their bits and nothing more.

Yet even McLachlan REALLY wasn't completely sure how Lynch would put it all together. How surreal it must be to at once be privy to the inner workings of an artistic genius, but to see oneself be so well placed as the most vital instrument used in the production of a piece as complex and ahead of it's time as Twin Peaks is. Trust me, Kyle is every bit the fan that us long-term viewing fans all are. The level that such a "happening" between artists and audience approaches such congruency is perhaps the most telling quality of what Lynch has achieved. For me, it's one of those rare moments in art appreciation that yields a truly unique feeling.

Can't wait to watch the finale again and, not long after, watch all 18 parts from beginning to end... again and again and again.

I hope others have enjoyed the show. I have enjoyed sharing my experience of the return of Twin Peaks. Here's hoping for many more returns.

Peace.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"