Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: "We All We Got"

"We All We Got"

On the local news today here in the Louisville area they were doing a piece on violence. A well known local activist was being interviewed, I noticed he was wearing a t-shirt that said "we all we got".

It might be a good idea for activists to promote education which in turn would lead to better job opportunities. Perhaps the t shirt should have something printed on it that might challenge young minds.

I'm not a wordsmith by any stretch of the imagination, but come on, at least try and promote basic/proper vocabulary skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Re: "We All We Got"

You are an antique......same as I am.
    Real Fan since 1958

"We All We Got"

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    You are an antique......same as I am.
    Word! We is who we is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Yep. Just keepin it real.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Rupp's Runt

Ebonics! The "alternative" English for hood rats everywhere!
    MOLON LABE!

It is important for the target audience be able to understand what you are saying
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    It is important for the target audience be able to understand what you are saying
    LOL! Yeah, since a good many of the fine union members of the teacher's unions only speak Ebonics anyway.......
    MOLON LABE!

My 10th grade English teacher began class in my public high school in Louisiana,

"Is they anyone..?"

True story. My mom and I used to laugh about that from time to time. I came home from school that day and realized that a) English class was going to be easy, and b) it was going to be a lost year learning English, at least grammar.

Louisianaian, qualifies as a foreign language. My FiL was a half breed Cajun, and it took several years for me to be able to effectively communicate with him.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

The difference between Ebonics & Cajun is miles and miles apart.
    MOLON LABE!

The land of Acadiana......

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Louisianaian, qualifies as a foreign language. My FiL was a half breed Cajun, and it took several years for me to be able to effectively communicate with him.

Rupp's Runt

In all fairness I have to disclose that I am subjected to Ebonics daily, and have been for years. Many of the people of all races that I deal with on a daily basis only speak in this manner. I understand it well, and can actually speak it fluently myself.
    How did it come to become part of the our culture? Probably due to several factors. Lack of formal education, or refusal to be educated, local cultures and customs, people wanting to "belong" or "fit in" within their social setting/environment, probably being the most prevalent reasons, among other reasons. In my case it is a by-product of being able to communicate suitably with those who only speak the language, as it were, and the need to be able to communicate with people on their level of consciousness. When you deal with individuals that do not or cannot speak regular American English, then you have to be able to communicate with them in the manner in which they are able to relate to. In the Police Academy this is referred to as 'Interpersonal Communications Skills', and yes it is part of the curriculum. So it not only is necessary but required, because a good number of the individuals that law enforcement & corrections comes in contact with multiple times daily only speak in this manner.
    Just wanted to state that for the record, because I went back and re-read my posts and didn't want you guys to think I was making fun of or making light of the issue. After I re-read the posts I realized that I may have inadvertently came across as some kind of jackass, which was not my intention.
    MOLON LABE!

Wynn and I were talking basketball with a guy from Southern Louisiana during halftime on a Thursday at the SEC, just passin some time, and talked for the whole halftime until the game started, the crowd at the hot dog stand thinned out and he left. Wynn turned to me and said "Dad, I didn't understand a single word he said".

Part of the reason for language differences is to identify the insiders versus the "others". I told him, "this is Southeastern Conference tournament not the damn Yankees in the Big East".