Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I forgot my Tuesday weigh in post...made it to 220.6.

My new thing is no snacks after 1900.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Excellent.

I need to focus on that "late night" thing. I finally got to the point where I realized my issue was a) snacking and b) portion control. My weight loss has slowed, but it's still occurring because, although I now allow snacks, I compensate--3 chips ahoy cookies are 160 calories, but if I ate a small breakfast, small lunch, and reasonable dinner without a lot of fatty foods (usually no bread), it's still easily a net loss. But I'm very bad about staying up late, and eating late.

Of course, when I get home from two back-to-back soccer games, and it's 9:30 p.m. my time, I don't feel like skipping dinner, but that doesn't happen every day, either .

Re: Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

Snacking is good. I try to keep some healthy nuts around and grab a fistful every so often. Tree nuts is the way to go, lightly salted. I'm on my feet most of the time I'm at work and try to avoid sitting for long periods when I'm at home.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Thought I'd go back to the first of the year and revisit some posts.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post

1. I eat more than I need.
    When I finally got that "annual" physical from my new physician, he basically said the same thing. Asked me how many calories I was eating, and I guesstimated what it was, and he said, "too many." Told me if I wanted to lose weight, I needed to go to 1500 calories a day. That seemed low; but now that I have gotten used to it, when I "pig out" and blow up to 1700 calories or so I seem like I'm overstuffing--and that was a light day in the past.

Pedro talked about portion control at various points in the thread, but this is the first real reference to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Mick, you nailed it.

For most people weight loss is both the simplest and hardest thing. The two secrets are to eat less and to cut out the carbs. When I did that I dropped more than 50 pounds, but it's hard to do that forever and depending on your lifestyle.

If I can cut out snacks and carbs I lose weight. Sometimes I can do that, sometimes not so much.
    I haven't intentionally cut out the carbs, but as I am sitting eating dinner and such, I find it easier just to eat the spaghetti, and skip the bread, counting my calories.

Right now is a good time for me, because I'm working so close to home that I can often run home for lunch (and/or I sometimes work at home through an early lunch, and go to the office around 11).

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Sitting is the worst thing you can do. If you can do your work standing, do that. Instead of cookies get some protein bars (or tree nuts) and graze during the day, and eat a healthy meal for dinner. Smaller portions, low starch, fresh veggies, and an ample source of protein.
    I wear a Xioami Mi band (Pedro has that one, too), and I have it set automatically to notify me anytime I have sat for close to an hour. It shows a stick man getting off a chair and walking, (after gently vibrating to let me know to look at my wrist).

I know this is going to sound dumb, but I have a 30 oz Yeti that I sometimes remember to bring to work. When I do, I keep it full, and drink it constantly. This serves three purposes:

a) helps keep me hydrated;
    b) helps keep me full (enough) that I don't snack; and
    c) has me walk to the restroom pretty regularly. It's not far, but it's far enough to give me a little break, and the steps seem to help.

My issue with nuts and snacking is one I forgot--many of them give me indigestion. Even a nut or two. Has nothing to do with the quantity, it's just some stupid food intolerance I have with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    I've made it a habit to drink water....as much as I can. I usually drink a whole cup/glass before each meal and some in between. I'll flavor it sometimes with many different flavors. Those pouches are generally only 5-10 calories. I think this has helped greatly.

One thing I've added is a Probiotic for digestive help. I think this has really helped but can't guarantee it.
    I excerpted the water and probiotic thing from yours, which I'm doing as well this year. I have definitely increased my water intake since January 1, and only recently have I begun drinking apple cider vinegar. It's just a teaspoon in a 12 oz glass of water 2-3x per day, but it is causing me to drink an extra 24-36 oz of water, which is a good thing, the ACV seems to have some satiation effect even beyond the water--not a miracle, but a little (pectin?), and although it's not a probiotic, it's a prebiotic, which somehow works with probiotics or something to help digestion, or your heart health, or something. I'm not sure it's doing that, but I'm not sure it's not, either. I've almost finished my 2nd bottle of ACV.

210.0 this morning. My next goal is 207.6. I don't even remember why that was chosen, but I chose it some time ago as one of the interim goals. It has been much more slow than when I started, but I'm hopeful if I can get under 210 I can get under 207.6.

Fab Five

Congrats Darrell. Since I no longer work I have taken up riding my bike again riding about 40 to 50 miles a week. I am trying to get to the 60+ range in another week or two. I have dropped two pounds off of a previous 12 lb loss from dieting. But the difference in my gut is significant.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Congrats Darrell. Since I no longer work I have taken up riding my bike again riding about 40 to 50 miles a week. I am trying to get to the 60+ range in another week or two. I have dropped two pounds off of a previous 12 lb loss from dieting. But the difference in my gut is significant.
    That's excellent.

Two Decembers ago, I bought a brand new Pure City "Commuter" bicycle.

Bought it from the Dad of a golf team member with my daughter; he was the manufacturer's rep for it, and got a great deal (less than ½ price). Not really meant to be super lightweight, or for serious cycling, just tooling around the city. At that time, I had just begun work at an office in my neighborhood (old Rust building area), and had the bright idea that I would ride a bike to work 2½ miles a day (each way).

What I didn't think through is that my building has no shower. I can't hardly ride it, sweat, and then fail to take a shower. So I have not ridden it 10 feet. Ridiculous!

I read an article on Lifehacker a couple of weeks ago on how to exercise at work without a shower, and it involved cleaning yourself up with a change of undergarments, fresh deodorant, baby wipes or something similar, etc. I'm not sure that will work. I may try it on a Saturday and see how it goes.

My stomach is still my stomach. I'm just losing weight, but not toning because I really haven't exercised. I need to add that into the equation. I've been threatening to do that for a couple of months, but nothing so far.

Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    That's excellent.

Bought it from the Dad of a golf team member with my daughter; he was the manufacturer's rep for it, and got a great deal (less than ½ price). Not really meant to be super lightweight, or for serious cycling, just tooling around the city. At that time, I had just begun work at an office in my neighborhood (old Rust building area), and had the bright idea that I would ride a bike to work 2½ miles a day (each way).

What I didn't think through is that my building has no shower. I can't hardly ride it, sweat, and then fail to take a shower. So I have not ridden it 10 feet. Ridiculous!

I read an article on Lifehacker a couple of weeks ago on how to exercise at work without a shower, and it involved cleaning yourself up with a change of undergarments, fresh deodorant, baby wipes or something similar, etc. I'm not sure that will work. I may try it on a Saturday and see how it goes.

My stomach is still my stomach. I'm just losing weight, but not toning because I really haven't exercised. I need to add that into the equation. I've been threatening to do that for a couple of months, but nothing so far.
    How much you want for the bike? I'll be through BHam in May.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Oh no, I couldn't sell it. Then there would be no pretense of actually exercising. I have to at least have the facade available.

Fab Five

That's excellent.

I cart mine downtown to ride. It's much flatter there. And amazingly, i can find some roads less traveled, even on a weekday afternoon.
    Real Fan since 1958

Mick, you may see my son pedaling around downtown from time to time as well. He loves it as well. He lives a block from Dreamland near UAB, and he enjoys it as well.

Me? I'm still trying to get over this rotator cuff thing I have. Headed back to the doctor--done with my PT appointments, and now have to go back and I guess get an MRI to figure out what's going on, as I'm not getting better. I foolishly took a shot in my driveway Sunday and thought I'd be reduced to tears.

Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

I know a couple of people that went through the rotator cuff deal. Both went through the PT, and both ended up having the surgery to repair it. Both said they wished they had skipped all the time, pain and money spent on the PT and just had the surgery.

A few years back I had major shoulder pain, so severe I couldn't lay down, sit up, or stand up to get comfortable.

It turned out to be discs in my neck/cervical area that were pretty mangled putting pressure on my cervical cord resulting in the shoulder pain.

I went through a pretty amazing group of surgeons The Leatherman Spine Group. I got a young very talented surgeon who specialized in cervical area surgery. Plus it didn't hurt that he was from Mason county and a huge Ky fan. He told me I had three options 1) physical therapy 2) pain management therapy/pain pills 3) surgery . He told me 1&2 were usually followed by 3, so I skipped 1&2 and went straight for 3. Anyway he put in three cadaver bones a plate and six screws... ez-pz and I was cured.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Mick, you may see my son pedaling around downtown from time to time as well. He loves it as well. He lives a block from Dreamland near UAB, and he enjoys it as well.

Me? I'm still trying to get over this rotator cuff thing I have. Headed back to the doctor--done with my PT appointments, and now have to go back and I guess get an MRI to figure out what's going on, as I'm not getting better. I foolishly took a shot in my driveway Sunday and thought I'd be reduced to tears.
    I will keep my eyes peeled for your son. I have started taking a picture on every bike ride and posting it to my Facebook page. It gives me one more reason to take a ride. There are so many interesting places in downtown Birmingham, it is tough to pick just one. The game I play with myself is if I ride more than ten miles, I can stop and grab a s
    Snakehandler at Good People or a Scottish ale at Avondale. Otherwise it is a smoothie at the Red Cat. I like smoothies, but I love Snakehandler.
    Real Fan since 1958

Boooom!!! I'm a teen...again 218.2!! I just might get my 215 goal by months end.

Welcome, teenager!

210.2 this morning, so up a tic from last weigh-in. Not shocked by it, not too disturbed by it, but was hoping to be under 210.

Welcome, teenager!
    Thanks, sadly I'm about right where o was last year at this same time. The challenge this year is not to gain it back so I don't have to take it off again.

I'm off sweets for lent which ends Easter Sunday this week. I am going to stay on the sweets fast through the end of April and on into May. I'll be entering a weight gain mine field in May when I start a two week vacation in FL. I never worry about weight while on vacation.

I'd like to be around 213 by May 9.

216.7... still creeping along. Took a big hit on Easter Sunday eating big at both sides of the families. Surprised I lost anything at all. My routine is all out of whack as far as exercise, not getting my regular 40 minutes 5days/week.

Fab Five

Well, last week I rode the bike 62 miles, the most ever. So far this week I have clocked 32. I only have one more day this week I can ride so I am planning a 34 mile ride from Anniston, AL to Piedmont and back. I haven't ridden that far in one day, but maybe with 2 or 3 rest stops I can do it!
    Real Fan since 1958

Mick, last year I had a day when I was returning a rental car on a Saturday to my neighborhood Hertz location. I don't remember why, but I did not have my car, and did not have a ride (and they had discontinued Saturday courtesy rides at that location,) so I thought I would just wear running gear and run home.

Across Hwy 119 into Corporate Parkway was easy enough and the rest of the route was through neighborhoods to my house, about 3.5 miles.

No problem.

I began it, and it was unseasonably warm. Or really, appropriately hot. I should have dropped it off before 9, but waited til close to midday when they closed.

Anyway, I got about halfway home, and was hot and needed to rest. There was a patch of woods on the side of the road and a nice tall stump perfect for sitting, so I took advantage.

I had been sitting there just a minute and this man comes running out of his house across the street at me. "Sir, sir, are you ok? Are you having a heart attack?"

I told him almost, that he came close to scaring me into one, but I was really better than I looked.

I'm sure your rests won't be that bad lol.

I rarely get on the scale between weigh ins, but I felt fat this morning so I got on the scale.

Wednesday I was at 216.7, this morning I'm at 220 even.... I don't know what happened other than Chinese food on Wednesday night. I'm hoping it's water weight and will disappear by next Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

Lent is over, but I'm still watching my sugar intake. I've eaten like five Peeps and a handful of jelly beans, three white chocolate truffles and a piece of cake since Easter.

We'll see, but I'm disheartened...

If I eat Chinese food or Mexican food, I know not to worry about my weight for a couple of days because of all the sodium water retention. It's ridiculous how much that sways the scale. I think you'll be fine.

Bombino

I rarely get on the scale between weigh ins, but I felt fat this morning so I got on the scale.

Wednesday I was at 216.7, this morning I'm at 220 even.... I don't know what happened other than Chinese food on Wednesday night. I'm hoping it's water weight and will disappear by next Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

Lent is over, but I'm still watching my sugar intake. I've eaten like five Peeps and a handful of jelly beans, three white chocolate truffles and a piece of cake since Easter.

We'll see, but I'm disheartened...

It is literally physically impossible for you to gain that much weight in this short of time. You would have to consume 11,500 calories to gain that much in fat therefore it is water weight and it can take a while to come off.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    It is literally physically impossible for you to gain that much weight in this short of time. You would have to consume 11,500 calories to gain that much in fat therefore it is water weight and it can take a while to come off.
    That's what I was thinking... thanks for the heads up.

Fab Five

Well I came up a bit short on my Anniston to Piedmont bike ride. Once I saw how hot it was going to be I decided to scale it back to Jacksonville to Piedmont, 26 miles. I am glad I did as them temp was 91 degrees as I was finishing. There was an early morning rain shower and the asphalt surface was still damp, increasing the humidity. It was bearable but not what I wanted for my first long ride. Alas, I finished with 59 miles for the week, one short of the goal. But, my2 week avg. is 60.5 miles per weekk. This week will present another stiff challenge to meet the goals as I will only have three days to ride. Likely I willcome up short, but never say never.
    Real Fan since 1958

It was way too hot today to do much. Still sounds like a lot to me.

I read something a while back about different combinations of food and beverage that aid in weight loss. The combo that stuck out in my mind was apples, peanut butter, and cinnamon, mostly because it sounded like a good replacement for sweets which I gave up for lent.

I know apples are good, and cinnamon pops up a lot in concoctions that are good for you, and then I guess the protein in peanut butter can't hurt.... but i still can't wrap my fat little brain around how the combo could actually promote weight loss. Unless perhaps eating those things are better than the alternative.

What say you fellow pound slayers??

I read something a while back about different combinations of food and beverage that aid in weight loss. The combo that stuck out in my mind was apples, peanut butter, and cinnamon, mostly because it sounded like a good replacement for sweets which I gave up for lent.

I know apples are good, and cinnamon pops up a lot in concoctions that are good for you, and then I guess the protein in peanut butter can't hurt.... but i still can't wrap my fat little brain around how the combo could actually promote weight loss. Unless perhaps eating those things are better than the alternative.

What say you fellow pound slayers??

207.4 this morning. Creeping toward 200.

Blueboss, my dietary plan has been simple. When my doctor told me I needed to shoot for 1500 calories per day if I wanted to lose weight, that's what I did. Took Pedro's advice and input everything I consumed, down to 10 calorie pieces of candy. I have relaxed that kind of thing somewhat now after weeks of working with it, I have a better feel.

But the interesting this is this. My breakfast and lunch have been almost identical for 5-6 days a week.

I eat 3 things.

A. Oatmeal (160 calorie instant packet, generally Cinnamon and Spice, but I'll take anything)
    1 teaspoon of Jif peanut butter

I dunno if is Jif. It's generally a nice scoop of teaspoon, but it's not overwhelming, either. Makes the oatmeal a little more hearty, a little smoother, too. I nuke the microwave, and go get the peanut butter jar. Take out a spoon and scoop out the peanut butter and as soon as the oatmeal is ready, stir it in by dumping it under the oatmeal and letting it "melt," then stirring.

Total calories I input is 208 (48 calories for the peanut butter).

I will eat that for either breakfast or lunch.

B. Grits and a banana. 100 calorie instant pack of grits, any kind but if I were choosing either Cheese or bacon flavored. I actually "cook" the banana in it--my wife grimaces and says that's disgusting, and she's probably right, but it's ok, and for me, it's like a decent flavored medicine.

Total calories for that is 190 (90 calories for the banana). Will eat for breakfast or lunch.

C. Boiled egg. Each one is 60 calories from Costco, although I'm going back to boiling my own because they taste better. I salt them and put cracked pepper on them. I will eat 1 or 2 for breakfast or lunch. Total calories is 120.

I'll pick either A and B, A and C, or B and C each day to eat. Sometimes I will double up on A for breakfast and lunch. So worst I have is 416 calories through lunch.

By the time I get to dinner, I usually have had less than 400 calories on the day. I shoot for about 800 for dinner, but really, I eat about what I want for dinner, and if it is something decent (low calorie chicken breast and vegetables, etc.) I don't mind grabbing 3 chips ahoy cookies or a bag of baked chips, etc.

My goal is 1200-1300 per day, as I figure that allows in a factor where I inadvertently miss something or understate something.

Once every week or two, I'll "ramp up" my calories to about 2000. I try to do it on a day when I am more active. I may even do that twice in a 2 or 3 day period. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but there's a claim that your body adjusts to a lower amount of calories, so I "ramp up" them every so often. Not enough to gorge myself, or to blow a week's worth of dieting, but enough.

My very final part of my diet has been another simple fix. I drink one glass of water 2-3 times a day with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in it with the mother attached. Does that really "work?" Does it improve metabolism? I don't know. My thoughts are probably, a tiny percent, and not enough to make a difference. But I do think drinking that one glass of ice water in the morning helps to jump start the metabolism for the day, AND I think 2-3 extra 12 oz glasses of water help with bodily functions, AND I think that the pectin in the apple cider vinegar may help with satiation and not making me "as" hungry all the time so I avoid snacks.

That's the entirety of my diet plan. It's boring as heck, and it is helped tremendously by the fact that I work 2.5 miles away from my house so I can go home and boil eggs or fix oatmeal/etc. if I don't bring it with me.

I don't worry about what I eat, as long as I follow this plan.
    I don't worry about when I eat, as long as I follow this plan.

My weight loss has been slowed recently, but it's still going down, so I'm going to continue this for awhile.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 04-23-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Unbelievable... 215.2. What a roller coaster ride this last week.

I might just make my 215 by end of month goal.

Excellent, Blueboss!

Two boiled eggs for lunch. Good eating!