Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

Re: Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

Mrs. BEvans and I are going to London May 19-28. I'm setting a goal of losing 50 pounds before we go. I'm going to chart my exercise and weight here as I go. Let's do this!
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Mrs. BEvans and I are going to London May 19-28. I'm setting a goal of losing 50 pounds before we go. I'm going to chart my exercise and weight here as I go. Let's do this!
    Good luck! Don't get discouraged if your progress is quick, then slower, though. -5 is better than zero!

Good luck, I just don't have the discipline or motivation to set that aggressive of a goal. I'm shooting for my usual 20 lbs by May, I'll be looking forward to your progress reports which I can use for motivation. Now I just need to decide when to start...I'm thinking this Sunday might be a good day to try and start getting back in exercise shape. I'll add the dieting later.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Wow. 219.4 this morning. How easy was it to gain weight?

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Good luck, I just don't have the discipline or motivation to set that aggressive of a goal. I'm shooting for my usual 20 lbs by May, I'll be looking forward to your progress reports which I can use for motivation. Now I just need to decide when to start...I'm thinking this Sunday might be a good day to try and start getting back in exercise shape. I'll add the dieting later.
    I hear you--I've had so many starts and stops over the years it's not funny. For me, I find I do better if I set relatively short-term goals and make them big enough that I know I have to stay disciplined to meet it. If I'm looking at a 12-18 month program (which, unfortunately, I probably am), that's so daunting I find it easier to fall off the wagon. But a 120-day or so goal where I know it's for a purpose at the end (e.g., enjoying a trip more), that's more realistic for me.

I'm currently reading this book about habits, and it's really changed the way I think about diet/exercise:

Last edited by KSRBEvans; 01-10-2018 at 08:02 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Week 1: Down 4.4 pounds. Only did a brisk/long enough walk to say I worked out twice, but I did walk the dog about 15 minutes each day.

Great job, Brian.

Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

Week 1: Down 4.4 pounds. Only did a brisk/long enough walk to say I worked out twice, but I did walk the dog about 15 minutes each day.
    You must really be hitting a stringent diet. 4.4 in a week is amazing, congrats!

I started getting back in exercise shape Monday. It should take about another week for me to get where I can keep a sustained fast pace without fear of dying.

Diet will follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Grammy and I have joined a gym in an effort to not only possibly extend our life, but have a better quality of life. I had crept back up to 250 lbs and being a three time, well 2.3 great grand father, I agreed.
    I did 45 minutes on a treadmill last night and 30 minutes on the treadmill + another 45 minutes doing "core" exercises, tonight.
    I am hoping not only to drop some tonnage, but also get my blood sugar levels under control (Type II).
    Going again tomorrow night with the plan of at least 30 minutes on the treadmill and either working upper or lower body and then the next night same thing but doing whichever one we did not do.
    Then next night just an hour on the treadmill, then Sunday, well even the Good Lord took a day off, then back at it Monday starting the routine all over.
    Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we go through this (she is VERY competitive) ordeal together without her killing me.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Grammy and I have joined a gym in an effort to not only possibly extend our life, but have a better quality of life. I had crept back up to 250 lbs and being a three time, well 2.3 great grand father, I agreed.
    I did 45 minutes on a treadmill last night and 30 minutes on the treadmill + another 45 minutes doing "core" exercises, tonight.
    I am hoping not only to drop some tonnage, but also get my blood sugar levels under control (Type II).
    Going again tomorrow night with the plan of at least 30 minutes on the treadmill and either working upper or lower body and then the next night same thing but doing whichever one we did not do.
    Then next night just an hour on the treadmill, then Sunday, well even the Good Lord took a day off, then back at it Monday starting the routine all over.
    Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we go through this (she is VERY competitive) ordeal together without her killing me.
    Good luck Pap, it sure makes it more tolerable exercising with someone. Sounds like you’re going at with both barrels.

With a plan, a partner and a purpose...
    Let us just hope that life doesn't have other plans.

One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

You must really be hitting a stringent diet. 4.4 in a week is amazing, congrats!

I started getting back in exercise shape Monday. It should take about another week for me to get where I can keep a sustained fast pace without fear of dying.

Diet will follow.

I'm not really on a strict diet. I use My Fitness Pal to set my calorie max for the day and then I journal everything I eat or drink and weigh myself daily. So in that sense I guess it's strict but I'm not limiting types of food, just staying within my calorie limit for the day.

I tend to lose a lot the first couple of weeks then settle down. If I'm doing good and exercising along with journaling my food I'll lose an average of 2 lbs/week, give or take.

Great start by exercising--hang in there.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 01-11-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Pedro said it a long time ago, and I find it particularly true the older I get.

If you want to be healthy -- exercise. (Gym mandate)

If you want to lose weight -- diet (or watch your calories - Kitchen mandate).

You simply can't lose the weight by exercising alone, especially when you get older. I was exercising like a fiend and not losing any weight, and then stopped exercising, and started charting what I was eating, and the pounds dropped. To me, it's important to chart everything. I stopped doing it months ago, and need to return.

Up to 10 minutes of extremely fast pace, on the gazelle, followed by a moderate pace on the tread mill for cool down.

Thinking of adding a new elliptical machine to the work out area (basement, see Marksbury players first lounge...it ain’t that).

I should be able to go 20 minutes by Mondayish.

I can usually drop five pounds getting in exercise shape... of course not gorging on ice cream afterwards.

Diet starts in February.

First weigh in and down from 252 to 240 pounds in about a week and a half.
    Best thing is I am starting to see a positive in my Blood Sugar Levels...
    Most of the weight loss is watching what I put in my cakehole.

Going to gym later tonight.

First weigh in and down from 252 to 240 pounds in about a week and a half.
    Best thing is I am starting to see a positive in my Blood Sugar Levels...
    Most of the weight loss is watching what I put in my cakehole.

Going to gym later tonight.
    I’m doing the quick math in head and I came up with -12 lbs. That, my good man, is outstanding, great news about the blood sugar too.

You guys are embarrassing me. Tonight I got up to 20 minutes with an average heart heart rate in the 150’s bpm. I’m going to stay there for the rest of the week or until my rate starts going down, then I’ll push it a bit more next week.

If I throw in the warm up and cool down I averaged in the 130’s for 30 minutes.

Diet still to come.

Spent about an hour and a half at the gym. Grammy got home and we left right after I posted.
    45 minutes on the tread to warm up and 45 minutes working the core and upper body.
    Try to get the heart up to 140-160 bpm range for at least 20 of those minutes.

Tried walking and dieting but it was no fun and I did not have anyone to hold me accountable; now I do.
    Now, off to the showers as surely I do reek...

Week 2: gained 1 pound, down 3.4 pounds total.

Actually surprised it wasn't more. I had a lost (long) weekend where I didn't journal my food or get in any workouts other than walking the dog. Mrs. BEvans and I went out a few times and things went off the rails.

In this situation I'd normally beat myself up and go back to old habits but I'm going back to faithful journaling and exercise today.

Spent about an hour and a half at the gym. Grammy got home and we left right after I posted.
    45 minutes on the tread to warm up and 45 minutes working the core and upper body.
    Try to get the heart up to 140-160 bpm range for at least 20 of those minutes.

Tried walking and dieting but it was no fun and I did not have anyone to hold me accountable; now I do.
    Now, off to the showers as surely I do reek...
    Wheweee!! That’s a lot of work out. I’ll get up to 40 minutes with an elevated heart rate. My warm up and down is 5 minutes each way.....

Speaking of which, it’s about that time now.

Done and done!! I’d like to share my workout numbers that my Fitbit recorded... but some dummy didn’t set the exercise mode. I can tell you I busted my tail for 22 minutes and my heart rate maxed at 172, and I added around 4000 steps to my daily total. Coming off the cool down currently at 93 bpm

Done and done!! I’d like to share my workout numbers that my Fitbit recorded... but some dummy didn’t set the exercise mode. I can tell you I busted my tail for 22 minutes and my heart rate maxed at 172, and I added around 4000 steps to my daily total. Coming off the cool down currently at 93 bpm

That is awesome.
    I guess I was as sedentary as I at first thought. 45 minutes on the treadmill with like you a 5 minute warmup and cool down. Used the incline to get my heart rate up again and kept it in the 140-160 for about 15 minutes and then gradually lowered the incline. Not seeing so much in the mirror but just the way I am feeling...and my blood sugar levels are lower and more what you would hope to see rather than the 175-180; they are now down to a pretty decent 135-145. AFter that I spent about 1 hour working on core and a timed 30 minute workout, bring on the sweat baby.
    Just got to keep reminding myself.
    Baby steps...

I went just over 21 minutes with an average bpm of 134. I went 15 of those minutes at peak 169 bpm. covering just over 3k steps totaling 1.72 miles... which in my book is a pretty good pace.

As my granddaughter would say, "you went way past playin' and straight into beast mode".

Down to 236 - still watching what I put in my piehole and slacked a little this week; a couple of nights was feeling a tad under the weather and only did the treadmill.
    But I am seeing positive results...

Down to 236 - still watching what I put in my piehole and slacked a little this week; a couple of nights was feeling a tad under the weather and only did the treadmill.
    But I am seeing positive results...
    Good job Pappy!!

My treadmill went kaput on me last night. The adjustment screw and mounting bracket broke on the back roller. I tore into it tonight and tried to repair it but it’s not fixable without a major rebuild.

I’m now having to do the bulk of exercise on the glider. I’m going elliptical/machine shopping soon.

Tonight I went 30 minute, average bpm was 149 with a high of 181 bpm going just under 2.5 miles.... I’m getting there, in exercise shape that is.

Week 3: Lost 2 pounds, down 5.4 total. Walked the dog 15 minutes each day and worked out 3 times--good, but need to get better.

My major stumbling block right now is the weekend. I do good during the week tracking my eating and staying disciplined, but Saturday and Sunday I relax. I need to find a way to continue being structured.

Yesterday was a typical example. I had a bowl of raisin bran cereal (for "obvious" reasons, I have begun eating more fiber as well), and I had a bowl of oatmeal for lunch.

And four peanut butter and chocolate cookies.

And dinner had Shepherd's Pie with green peas.

And a bunch (I didn't count, but kept going back for two at a time--probably as many as 8) peanut butter and chocolate cookies.

I've got to control that. A dozen PB & Chocolate cookies ain't healthy. My annual checkup is in March. I have to lose at least 5-10 pounds to get back to where I was when I saw the doctor a couple of months ago, and preferably more.

What's my problem? Other than holidays and such, I stopped bringing eggs to work. Boiled eggs work. They are filling, good protein, and low calorie.

^Yep, finding things that are quality snacks work for me, too. I have a Clif bar for breakfast but know I'll be hungry by mid-morning. (In fact I count on eating a lighter breakfast so I can have that mid-morning snack.) Greek Yogurt is usually my choice. I wish boiled eggs worked for me, but the texture and smell grosses me out.

I love boiled eggs. For some changes, I put salt and pepper on them (salt always, pepper sometimes). If I were home and had some salsa, I could include that.

I'm with you as a texture person--there's no way to cover up the texture if you don't like it. I don't like the texture of coconut. Love the flavor. Can't stand to eat anything coconut because of the texture. I mean, I'd rather eat kibbles and bits dog food.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I love boiled eggs. For some changes, I put salt and pepper on them (salt always, pepper sometimes). If I were home and had some salsa, I could include that.

I'm with you as a texture person--there's no way to cover up the texture if you don't like it. I don't like the texture of coconut. Love the flavor. Can't stand to eat anything coconut because of the texture. I mean, I'd rather eat kibbles and bits dog food.
    Kibbles and Bits may be a good answer to your PB & chocolate cookie problem... just say’n.