Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Re: Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

222.8 again this morning.

Re: Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post

Caloric intake is between 1200-1500 calories with very little carb or sugar, but I seem to have hit a stumbling block.
    JMO, but I think you'll be fine. Plateaus are often hit, and then you'll start the losing weight again.

If you want to "kick-start" it, and you've been pretty good about 1200-1500 calories daily for 2-3 weeks, you might try "ramping up" once a week, or once every 10 days or so. Run it to 2500 calories that day (try to do it on a day when you are exercising.). "They" say that it improves your metabolism, and keeps your body from adjusting to the fewer calories. Then drop the next day to the 1200-1500, do it for 6-10 days, then "ramp" again. Overall, you're still taking in fewer calories over a week-long period, so you should lose weight and keep your body's metabolism from adjusting to the fewer calories as well.

Worked really well for me a couple of years ago when I did this correctly. I am going to start back. Maybe tomorrow, or the next day. Maybe next week. But soon!

That sounds like an idea to try, but I still have to keep in mind the type II thingy.
    It truly is a pain in the tush, but after having survived a stroke, it ain't no big deal...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    That sounds like an idea to try, but I still have to keep in mind the type II thingy.
    It truly is a pain in the tush, but after having survived a stroke, it ain't no big deal...
    Definitely address that first and foremost! That's the most important.

I know everybody has an anecdotal thing that worked for them (or didn't), but that's mine. There's been some science that purports to debunk it, some that purports to support the theory, and when that happens, I usually just go with what works for me. I did the going to the gym, running 3-8 miles five days a week, etc. for awhile, and had minimal losses. Then I did the "reduce calories" thing and dropped a good deal of weight in a hurry. When I reached a point where it just wasn't coming off any more despite adhering to the reduced calories thing, somebody here told me I should consider "ramping up" every so often. I read about it a little, and tried it, and it seemed to work. Well, I started losing weight again, so it could have been coincidental, but it also worked very well with my lifestyle of going out to eat once on a weekend and not worrying about the calories since that was the day I was "ramping up."

I was told when you first start (or re-start, as I'm getting ready to do, since I haven't been watching calories for months now, and it shows), not to "ramp up" too quickly--it will take your body awhile to adjust to the lower calories, so no need. But after 2-3 weeks, go ahead and do it once. Then after that, as often as once a week, just making sure, of course, that your total calories for the week are such that you'll be losing weight. For example, if my daily calorie intake to maintain weight is 2000 calories (just to make the math easy), and I go 1800 calories for 6 days, but go 4000 calories on my "ramp up" day, that defeats the purpose. I'd be better off going 1600 calories for 6 days (calorie deficit of 2400), then jumping up to 2500 calories for ramp up day, for a total calorie deficit for the week of 1900.

Eh, it's just a theory. When I did it a couple of years ago, it seemed to work. If somebody mentions hitting a plateau of weight loss, I usually ask if they've tried it to see if it kick starts the weight loss again.

Still doing the treadmill for 45 to an hour but not so much lifting; the redoing of Grammy's boudoir is taking a little bit of that time but we will have that kicked in the backside before too long.
    Defionitely will try the ramping up Mr. Cartwright.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

I’ve taken the week off of exercise with the same theory of making a metabolism change. Hopefully when I start back up I’ll see a little more robust decrease in weight.

218 flat this morning....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

Back at it... 217.4, slow going.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I have started the process again. Steel cut oats or two boiled eggs for breakfast, the other for lunch. Can have 6 almonds a couple of times a day, and one more boiled egg. Eat a full dinner as cooked. Stay away from the cookies in the pantry.

I'll need to find another 150 calorie type mini-meal. May have to expand it with cheerios, banana and skim milk, but I don't want to vary much from this formula.

I won't do it every day, and I already heard last year from my doctor about the number of eggs (all while my cholesterol levels were perfect). But that's my staple to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

I have started the process again. Steel cut oats or two boiled eggs for breakfast, the other for lunch. Can have 6 almonds a couple of times a day, and one more boiled egg. Eat a full dinner as cooked. Stay away from the cookies in the pantry.

I'll need to find another 150 calorie type mini-meal. May have to expand it with cheerios, banana and skim milk, but I don't want to vary much from this formula.

I won't do it every day, and I already heard last year from my doctor about the number of eggs (all while my cholesterol levels were perfect). But that's my staple to get started.
    Another pretty good option, Ive been eating granola and adding raisins, or whatever fruit you like. Plus it’s good for your digestive track...

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Another pretty good option, Ive been eating granola and adding raisins, or whatever fruit you like. Plus it’s good for your digestive track...

Thanks, that sounds good. Or good enough .

The other thing I’m doing, when I start craving sweets... I go with graham crackers, beats actually eating cardboard.

I think two sheets of eight crackers is 130 calories.

Man! This last 10 lbs is fighting me. I’ve been seeing 216’s, but my official weekly weigh in last night had me at 217.8... I’m guessing I’m holding water or something. I don’t see me getting to my goal of 210 by the close of derby week.

This is pretty discouraging, calorie counting, staying around 1000-1500 calories a day. Eating fresh fruit for breakfast, yogurt for lunch, and a nature valley bar for a mid day snack (400 cals total). Then a sensible dinner, usually totaling around 800-1000 cals. A couple nights a week I treat myself to an evening snack, fruit, or granola, or graham crackers totaling maybe 200 cals.

Exercising an hour five days a week burning around 800-900 cals each session. Maintaining peak heart rate at an average of 145-155 bpm with periods of 170-185 bpm.

I’m stuck at around 217... I’ve seen 215 to mid 217... stayed the same for two weeks. Didn’t make my goal of 210.

Going to the beach for a couple of weeks which will consist of r&r, seafood, and probably no structured exercise. I’m libel to gain 10 pounds back while vacationing.

I’m going to have to do some serious dieting when I get back, but I refuse to worry about while vacationing.

Well, let’s see when I left I was at 216.4. After two weeks of a gluttony of seafood and whatever else I decided to eat, and no structured exercise...My weigh in weight yesterday was 218.6.

All in all, not to shabby.

I’m officially under 150. Have been for a couple weeks but I forgot to post. The picture is me and my sister celebrating my “Prac” party last Saturday. This consisted of me cooking scallops and everyone eating them and me finally drinking a Stella Artois out of my personally engraved “The Prac “ glass. Great day over all. And Alec came and stayed all day and we had the best time. He is the spitting image of his Dad.

Last edited by uklandrn; 05-25-2018 at 06:33 AM.
    I'm keeping Receipts!!

Went to my niece’s graduation today. It’s really nice to be able to wear real clothes and not just sweats and t-shirts or scrubs.

I'm keeping Receipts!!

Fantastic!! ^^^^

Might need to fire up the exercise/diet routine, I’ve picked up about 3-4 lbs since the first of May. Plus my average heart rate at rest has gone up about 5 ticks indicating I’m slipping out of shape.

Right now exercise consists of yard work a couple days of week for a couple hours, and diet has been shoved aside for bbq’s, dining out, snacking.

No rest for the weary... time to start thinking about putting a realistic goal in place.

Fab Five

Have been ramping up my cycling activity. My goal is 100 miles a month. Fell short in May by 11 miles. So far this month I am at 21 miles. Due to traveling I have only managed 3 outings, but should get out at least four times this week. That should put me over 50 miles. Last month I rode mostly flat routes. This week I have increased the elevations, doubling on average what I did last month. But if I can burn 300 to 400 calories every time out, I’ll be satisfied.
    Real Fan since 1958

Trying to be careful "running" around my neighborhood. Waited until after 4 today, but it was still 90°. Runtastic app said I dehydrated 50.29 ounces in 3.28 miles, with all of the distance over 2 miles being me just walking. Just too damn hot. Been sipping water and eating a banana ever since. I know it's hot when my breathing is heavy when I'm "resting" by walking up the hills (even when I'm in good condition - which I am not - I never do anything other than walk up hills).

Fab Five

Well, yesterday I joined a group bicycle ride and rode all over Birmingham. After about 13 miles we took a break in a park amphitheatre to decide on the final leg of the trip. One woman about 65, suggested we take the route up Red Mountain and then fly dowm Niazuma and 24th St. We had taken a mostly flat route to this point and those who weren’t up to the climb would take a different route back to the start. I noticed as we left the park, the woman who suggested we take the climb was leading the flatlanders. Only 7 of the Original 19 made the climb. I made it to the top although I was almost a block behind the pack. I fell further behind when the rest of the pack flew about 7 blocks down the mountain. As we regrouped the comment was made by our paraplegic leader that all but he and one other were over 65. The younger ones had abandoned us.

I made 20 of my targeted 25 miles per week in the one ride. Since my week is Friday through Thurs, I think I’ll take today off.
    Real Fan since 1958

225.4 today. Bad.

It is amazing how sedentary I am unless I consciously exercise. Great majority of these steps occurred in a 48-minute "run" yesterday. Going for another at Spain Park later today. A lot of the trail is in the woods so it won't be as brutally hot.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 06-17-2018 at 05:24 PM.

My plans have been delayed...

Fab Five

I rode 23 miles tonight. That puts me at 63 miles for the month. I may reach my monthly goal of 100 miles. This was the most rigorous ride in years. Lots of elevation changes. The bad news is I have gained about a pound and a half. The good news is when I put on my helmet tonight, I could get four fingers between the strap and chin. It might be a sign I havelost one of my chins.
    Real Fan since 1958

3.03 miles at Spain Park this afternoon because it wasn't as hot as it has been and they have a lot of shade. Still, a lot of walking the 3rd mile. I like slow jogging, but it sure would help to drop 40 pounds.

220, no diet, no exercise... it’s official, I’m a lazy slob.

Fab Five

I rode with the bicycle club tonight for almost 10 miles. I cut it short as the temp and humidity were oppressive. I am at 81 miles for the month with 4 days to go. I have a group ride scheduled for 12 or 13 miles on Saturday which means I need to ride another 7 to 10 miles in the next three days to meet my monthly goal of 100 miles. Not sure if I can do it in this weather. I have had two rides washed out this month which has put me behind the 8 ball.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    I rode with the bicycle club tonight for almost 10 miles. I cut it short as the temp and humidity were oppressive. I am at 81 miles for the month with 4 days to go. I have a group ride scheduled for 12 or 13 miles on Saturday which means I need to ride another 7 to 10 miles in the next three days to meet my monthly goal of 100 miles. Not sure if I can do it in this weather. I have had two rides washed out this month which has put me behind the 8 ball.
    Weather is iffy at best between oppressive heat and thunderstorms.

Trying to get my son ready for some soccer camps and playing in the heat of the day. Told him I'd go out with him this afternoon and we'd run 45 minutes in the heat. Birmingham 90° weather ain't ideal for this old man, but I take it easy.

I saw on a previous thread where I posted in 12/2016 where I was 228.6, I’m currently still hanging around 220.

Kind of discouraging seeing where I’m only down about 8lbs over the last year and a half. I’d feel better if I was hanging around my 5/2018 weight of 215.

Looks like it’s time to fire up the diet wagon. Gonna have to ditch ice cream... which sucks, I love ice cream.