Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Random Note for Bigsky

I have this small scrap of paper from the Civil War.

The signer was Robert LaMotte, who signed it in Newport, Kentucky July 17, 1863.

A few years later he was the founder and first commander of Fort Ellis in Bozeman. Supposedly, one of the fort’s buildings still exists as part of the university.

https://www.civilwarobsession.com/20...y-17-1863.html

What does this mean? Nothing, really, other than I thought of you when I saw Bozeman. I guess I have been around this site too long

Re: Random Note for Bigsky

Good stuff about Kentucky-Bozeman connection — and bite your tongue about any of us “being around too long”.

So the son of the guy who drove the cattle from Texas, see Lonesome Dove—Nelson Story was the actual guy, his son married a girl from Hanson KY. Malcolm Story married Rose and he used to tell me about driving back to Hopkins County from Bozeman in the 30s and 40s. As you could expect, my being born in Madisonville, we had some mutual relatives. (They were from “North Hopkins”)

Malcolm's got a little statue on Main Street and Rose has some legends about her too. Doubt I get quite that far.

In the tales of bad behaviour that created Bozeman, FT Ellis is fairly prominent. The towndemanded a fort after Custer made his stand, the army obliged, andBozeman survived fleecing soldiers and army both. Commerce turned from Hookers to hikers once Yellowstone got popular...but it wasnt as long ago as people like to think.
    Last edited by bigsky; 07-17-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Re: Random Note for Bigsky

Good stuff