Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Seven foot vs eight foot pool table

My teenage years were spent in the pool halls of Corbin, Ky. Corbin was unique because back then it was a dry county. Not only were teenagers allowed in pool rooms we were welcome with open arms. Al's Pool Hall became the club house for all misguided youth from Tri-County area. If you had drugs to sell, property to fence, concert tickets to scalp, money to gamble, or needed food to eat Al's was the place and it was awesome.

I think (memory a little fuzzy) we played on 3.5 x 7 foot tables. I am going to buy a pool table for my basement and could fit an lager 4 x 8 table in room but feel smaller table would fit better in the space. Everything I read says go with the 4 x 8 table. My gut tells me I want a 3.5 x 7

This leads to my question.
    Does anyone have any experience playing on the smaller tables and does it matter?

Re: Seven foot vs eight foot pool table

Have played on a ton of smaller tables, the ones where you deposit a quarter and it delivers the balls for a game. If you make the wrong ball, ooops it is gone until you put in another quarter. Is there a difference in the 2 sizes? Absolutely there is. I occasionally play at a place here in BG, and they have regulation tables. I prefer them, but the game is tougher to play on them except for one aspect. The smaller tables are more congested with balls and finding shots can be more difficult because of that.

The balls have to travel further on the larger tables to get to the pocket which tends to force the player to be more accurate in judging angles and sending the cue ball at the object ball more precisely to make the shot.

In your case, it sounds like room size may dictate the table size more than the comments I made above. Need to make sure there is plenty of room all around the table for movement of the cue stick without being hemmed in by a nearby wall.

edited to add, that lots of fun can be had on both size tables and that is what really counts

jmho
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 11-21-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Growing up we had an 8-foot table in our game room and occasionally played on 7 foot tables when we were out. I always preferred the 8-foot table, but that may be just because I got used to it. I think you will have fun with either one.

Rupp's Runt
    Someday.......I'll be getting a 4x8

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I play both, but I do have a pretty strong preference for the full sized table. if it will fit comfortably I'd get a 4x8, but it really is a personal preference.

I'd be a little surprised a pool hall would have the smaller tables, but I have seen it. They have pay full sized tables, that's mostly what I played on, though there was a place we went that was more bar than pool hall that had 2 7 foot tables.

I just prefer the feel of a full sized table. Most do, but not all, so it's whichever you like.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Someday.......I'll be getting a 4x8

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Let me know if you want one, or for that matter Scout if you are in the market. I bought one at an auction, haven't even had time to set it up. Full size, 1" 3 pc slate, it's a Brunswick, ebony finish, a mid-level one.

I would like to set it up but I could easily be talked into selling it if anyone is interested. Bought it at an estate auction, it's in really good shape.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I went shopping today and probably going to go with the 3.5 x 7. I mostly play nine ball so the congestion of the balls is not as big a factor. With the smaller table you can go on some good long runs. Thanks for your input.