Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Wi-Fi extenders work?

Do Wi-Fi extenders work?

Like this one I'm looking at in my local office max?

300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender - TP-Link http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/TL-WA850RE.html

Bombino

Re: Do Wi-Fi extenders work?

In general they work OK, not great but they are often the easiest way to extend the range of a network. That being said, they will cut your download bandwidth in half for devices on the extended network because they must both send and receive ALL data that comes to them. I would NOT daisy chain more than one. If you need to get a really long distance, there are other methods that are much better.

No. They are POS IMO. Far better to get a second router, attach it to primary router and put it in the attic. I wasted money on 3 extenders to WiFi my house. Rarely worked. Just ran a new cable into my attic, connected a second router and not had any issue at all
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

It will extend your range far better, cost less and be.much faster
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Two routers? I didn't know you could do that. Interesting.

Rupp's Runt
    A wired access point would be preferred to an extender or 2nd router. The 2nd router would act as an access point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    A wired access point would be preferred to an extender or 2nd router. The 2nd router would act as an access point.

This.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Two routers? I didn't know you could do that. Interesting.
    Yes. Just plug an ether net line into your router/modem and attach a router at the other end of the ether net. You now have 2 networks thru one model ( not paying for two services) and extend your range the distance of the ether net cable. I put router 2 in the attic so it could WiFi my master bedroom. No obstructions like walls.

Rupp's Runt
    The 2nd router will work and essentially be an access point. You just have to be careful with a router, a wrong configuration can kill your network.

True residential access points are becoming scarce. I think extenders are replacing them. They are out there, just a little harder to find. I don't look at the residential stuff, but I'm sure they make wired extenders also.

Edit/add: 2 routers on one network can kill your network. You can only hand out one range of IPs from one device.

Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 11-05-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    No. They are POS IMO. Far better to get a second router, attach it to primary router and put it in the attic. I wasted money on 3 extenders to WiFi my house. Rarely worked. Just ran a new cable into my attic, connected a second router and not had any issue at all
    They work OK for extending range into a room at the edge of the house, if they aren't too far. I have deployed them in a few places before to solve network issues. The best results have always been in rooms where the internet KINDA works but drops a lot. They are not magic though and they certainly don't work nearly as well as they claim.

Truthfully, what you mentioned is what I considered at first but I worry too advanced for Darrell to setup. One, the fact that you need a hard wire to the second location is not always easy to accomplish. Two, setting up the second router as an access point isn't always straightforward. That being said, they do offer AP which are easier to setup but there is still issue one.

@BigD - I think I should clarify the difference between a wireless router and a wireless access point. A wireless router is actually two devices in one a router which handles things like assigning IP addresses, providing internet access, firewall duties, etc. and a wireless access point to handle wireless connections. A wireless access point, lacks all of the router circuitry. It is basically a dumb wireless entry point to the network, it relies on the other router to handle the routing functions.

As for getting setup, first off, you need to be able to get a wired connection near to wherever you want the second network to be. Then from there, there are actually two directions you can head. The most obvious is setting up a wireless access point. This requires either a router that can be setup in wireless access point mode or an actual wireless access point. This basically extends your wireless network out in one seamless unit. Your network devices will hand-off between the router and access point with zero lag or issues. The second option, is to use the second router as its own independent network, this is easier to find a device but harder to setup without breaking your internet. It also has the drawback that when your device changes networks there can be a momentary drop in service during the change over.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 11-05-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Bombino

(Dizzy)
    I forgot to ask, what router do you have right now? Even a picture of it from your phone would suffice.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 11-05-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Rupp's Runt

Do Wi-Fi extenders work?

(Dizzy)
    If you can run a cable, get an access point.

If you can't, get an extender.

Here's my blazing fast cable internet. This is the same floor as the router, just on opposite ends of the house...

Spectrum.JPG

Earlier I reset the router and the modem by unplugging both, and at least, standing next to it, I got a 36 Mbps speed. That lasted about two minutes before returning to the land of extremely low single digits 1-2.50 Mbps...

I've had some weird readings where the upload speed has been as much as 3-4x faster than the download speed, too. But the upload speed wasn't blazing fast, just hitting 5+ and in comparison, it just seemed that way.

Bombino

That is really bad. What model of router do you have?

Do Wi-Fi extenders work?

Do Wi-Fi extenders work?

It's inconsistent as heck.

Current (but I am closer).

Bombino

OK, it is a Netgear WNDR-3800 based on my quick google image search for something that looks similar. That router has a really really bad reputation online. Many reports of the 2.4GHz channel dying and the 5GHz channel only being good for like 30-50ft. Based on what you are describing (with the signal getting worse over time) you might have a dying radio.

There is a good deal going on right now on this router from T-Mobile: http://www.t-mobile.com/accessories/...ot-router.html for $60. It has custom firmware that prioritizes T-Mobiles WiFi Calling traffic (which is good if you have T-Mobile). Otherwise, it is an Asus RT-AC68U (a very reputable router) and has 802.11ac AC1900 signaling for higher speeds and what not. If you so desire, you can actually convert it to the original Asus firmware instead of using the T-Mobile variant firmware but it is not necessary.

This is likely the best setup based on your current device, needs and abilities. I can't promise it reaches every corner of the house but it should be way better than what you are currently using.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 11-19-2016 at 06:58 PM.

I wouldn't say it's dying, just inconsistent. Always has been. The 64+ was flying a few minutes ago. The 1 a couple of hours ago was excruciating.

But if there is something better for a quick fix for that low, I'm all for it. And we do have T-Mobile, but don't use the Wi-Fi calling, although I guess we could. I have a home number now, but haven't used it, either.

Would you just literally remove the old router and replace it with this?

Bombino

Last time I changed routers, it was plug it in, set the network name, router password (always change this from the default) and wifi password and done.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 11-19-2016 at 08:30 PM.

I ordered it. That will be a big hit in my house if it helps the WiFi signal to my son and daughter.

I have an ethernet cable I'm planning on running downstairs to my little converted office, but I may see if the signal might reach there anyway.

I don't really know how the WiFi calling thing can help me, but we do have T-Mobile, so maybe I can even benefit from that. Thanks, Pedro! The price seemed really good.

Bombino

I ordered it. That will be a big hit in my house if it helps the WiFi signal to my son and daughter.

I have an ethernet cable I'm planning on running downstairs to my little converted office, but I may see if the signal might reach there anyway.

I don't really know how the WiFi calling thing can help me, but we do have T-Mobile, so maybe I can even benefit from that. Thanks, Pedro! The price seemed really good.
    This is an AC1900 router, which is faster than the N router that you had before. So from a raw speed perspective alone it should be faster. It should have enough power to reach the edges of your house. If it doesn't (ie you have a really old house with a lot of metal in the walls) then you have no other option than running some hardwires and hooking up some access points.

Truthfully, your description of your router being tempermental means that it is possibly on its way out. The rapidly degrading performance after a reset often indicates that. So either way, this is likely a good purchase for you.

WiFi calling comes into play when you don't have a strong T-Mobile signal. You can use the WiFi calling to connect your phone to T-Mobiles voice neetwork so that you can make/receive voice calls, get text messages, etc. I have found it incredibly useful when travelling abroad. Just connect to a WiFi hotspot, turn on wifi calling and I can call like I am still in the states.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 11-19-2016 at 11:07 PM.

Do Wi-Fi extenders work?

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    This is an AC1900 router, which is faster than the N router that you had before. So from a raw speed perspective alone it should be faster. It should have enough power to reach the edges of your house. If it doesn't (ie you have a really old house with a lot of metal in the walls) then you have no other option than running some hardwires and hooking up some access points.

Truthfully, your description of your router being tempermental means that it is possibly on its way out. The rapidly degrading performance after a reset often indicates that. So either way, this is likely a good purchase for you.

WiFi calling comes into play when you don't have a strong T-Mobile signal. You can use the WiFi calling to connect your phone to T-Mobiles voice neetwork so that you can make/receive voice calls, get text messages, etc. I have found it incredibly useful when travelling abroad. Just connect to a WiFi hotspot, turn on wifi calling and I can call like I am still in the states.
    Pedro, the router has acted that way since we got it two months ago. I think it must just be bad, period.

Darrell, what speed does your service provide?

badrose, I'm not certain, but it was 64+ Mbps yesterday when I tested. That's blazing fast, and real life speed.

Of course, it was also 1 Mbps when I tested yesterday, too.

badrose, I'm not certain, but it was 64+ Mbps yesterday when I tested. That's blazing fast, and real life speed.

Of course, it was also 1 Mbps when I tested yesterday, too.
    Is it part of a bundle with your TV service? The reason I ask is my internet is provided by TWC and my download speeds range from the high 200's to the mid-300's mbps. (although it is hardwired). My TV service is through Dish. Had to get a compatible router/modem to make it work, but it also provides a strong signal throughout the house even with doors and the set-up in in a corner of the house. Prior, we had to reset infrequently to restore wifi connections. Laptops, cell phones, and tv's all pulling off of it.

Charter Spectrum limit is 60 Mbps where I am, although I understand some areas are 300.

Worried that it's the modem, rather than the router. Connected to the WiFi fine now, but no Internet connection.