Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to Cable

Back to Cable

Saving $100 per month with an improvement of internet speed from "up to" 18 Mbps to "up to" 60 Mbps.

We'll see how I like it in practice. Almost every day we had a brief outage...usually no more than 2 or 3 minutes, but irritating when you were watching a TV show, for example.

Re: Back to Cable

Back to cable from...what? DirectTV? Etc.?

This time of year really tempts me to give up my cord-cutting ways and go back to some form of cable/satellite TV. New TV season, NFL, college football, college bball upcoming. I'll probably go back to SlingTV so I can get the UK bball games on the WatchESPN app. SlingTV itself isn't really ready for prime time IMHO.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

U-Verse.

My plans are to give this a year and possibly do the cord cutting after that, assuming that the internet speed is solid and reliable.

Maybe in a year Sling TV etc. will be better, too.

^Ah, Uverse. We had Uverse for a little over 2 years (switched from Time Warner). Great deal for Year 1. Called back and renegotiated a deal for Year 2 that was about a $20/month increase. When I called back for Year 3, I was going to have to take about a $30/month additional increase but get DirecTV. No, for 2 reasons:

1. We didn't want DirecTV in the 1st place or we would've signed up with them from the beginning (low Spousal Acceptance Factor for the satellite dish);
    2. It was going to be $50/month more than the deal we'd had just 2 years before.

So no thanks. We cut the cord, which has been a little disappointing. But the good news, we've missed all of the 2016 election stuff on the cable channels, so my blood pressure is a lot lower.

We're supposed to be getting Google Fiber and Google TV in Louisville eventually (although it might not happen now), so I might look at it again once it goes live.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 09-16-2016 at 03:24 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Uverse was ok. We actually cut the cord for a brief period before Uverse, and it hurt Dad worse than kids, so we went from cable to Uverse. Had Uverse for a long time; and the prices had jumped, increased, etc. to the point where I really didn't think we were getting value for our money. Well over $200 per month, and thought that was too much for internet that was supposed to be "up to" 18 Mbps that never really approached that number, and had slight glitches almost daily. Nothing horrible; it did a good job of keeping service in storms, and I can't remember missing more than 5 minutes of a TV show when it went out, although I know it was out for longer periods at time.

Cable in our area has made an aggressive comeback from the days when I had it. Of course, when I had it, I had it so long ago that it did not provide internet, and I had AT&T DSL service before, during and after cable. So it was a natural for me to move everything to AT&T, including TV.

So we'll see. Preliminary test speeds show, at times, it approaching the promised 60 Mbps, and at times, being not that close to it (but still faster than anything Uverse ever provided). That's a good thing.

The price is less; almost $100 less. That's a good thing.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but we did not have HD service through U-verse. Didn't know what I was missing. Have it now through Charter Cable. Have a soccer match on TV in the den, and when I walked through, I was amazed at how clearly you can see the ball on such a huge field (slightly larger than a football field). You can really follow the game. TV shows in HD just look "clearer," and crisper. Of course, everybody in America knows that, except me.

So that's a good thing.

In a year, the price will go up $20 for the next 12 months. I don't have to continue. In fact, I don't have to continue even now; no contracts, which I also found nice. In year 3, it will go up $40 (total, or another $20). Still $50 cheaper than U-verse even at that, but somewhere in the next 12-24 months I may cut the cord and just go with the best internet I can, and grab whatever else is available. We'll see.

Not just you D. My mother doesn't have HD.

Though that is just the two of you that I know about...
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

D, you need to get a 4K TV. You'd be amazed.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Back to Cable

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    D, you need to get a 4K TV. You'd be amazed.
    I will. Probably when everybody else has a 400k TV .

OK, I am now into the 2nd year, lost the 1st year promotion. Price increased about $40 a month.

I'm going to see if I can get an idea from everybody in my family on what TV stations they watch, make a list, and see if there's another alternative. This is still "promotional pricing," just 2nd year promotional pricing, so it supposedly is still "cheap." We don't watch *that* much TV, but I'm sure if I start cutting things, it will be something somebody "has" to have.

I may be looking for suggestions soon.

I have Dish with the complete package for $250 and TWC for internet at 340-355 mbps for around $75. The latter is lightning fast on my PC and the wifi works quite well. Once in a blue moon I have to reboot the modem/router but that's it. It's hardwired to my TV so streaming is seamless.

I keep hearing there is a way to stream tv shows, trying to figure out how would like to lose this $150 a month bill! HELP ME! Lol
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    I keep hearing there is a way to stream tv shows, trying to figure out how would like to lose this $150 a month bill! HELP ME! Lol
    I use a RVeal box. Streams live tv plus movies and sports, ppv, movie channels (hbo, cinemax, showtime, etc) and any tv show you evr wanted. Cost was $300 and nothing else, no monthly fees. Only need wifi or ethernet.connection and a hdmi input on TV.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I use a RVeal box. Streams live tv plus movies and sports, ppv, movie channels (hbo, cinemax, showtime, etc) and any tv show you evr wanted. Cost was $300 and nothing else, no monthly fees. Only need wifi or ethernet.connection and a hdmi input on TV.
    Can you record? Also does it feed to all tv's in the house?
    Last edited by badrose; 09-25-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Doc thanks
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Can you record? Also does it feed to all tv's in the house?
    No but is no need other than sports. I can watch any tv show at any time, either live or past. For example, last night I was watching season 2 of Ink Master (2012). Any movie you can think of is on it, even one in theater now although sometimes the new releases have quality issues. Only two negatives are you get buffering on occasion (if watching live sports program I find an alternate feed, or if regular show I reload or clear cache) and no record option. I also have comcast and DTV for that. One box per TV. It plugs into the wall outlet and the hdmi port on tv, thats all there is. Can also surf the net, etc...is just a android so anything you can do on phone you can do on it. Has a mini keyboar

The advantages are 4k feed and is wireless, plus thousands of options. There us literally no TV show I cant find and watch
    Last edited by Doc; 09-26-2017 at 07:00 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I'm not even sure this is relevant, but can you get local stations?

Any issues in bad weather or is it OK if you have good Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

Its 100% internet driven so weather only if it affect internet. no local station but you get literally many non-local local stations. So I get local San Francisco stations, Maimi stations, Chicago stations, etc.... but if you have basic cable, or an antenna then you get those as well.

one other advantage is that it is portable. You can take from room to room...or even if travelling, take it to a hotel...so long as you have wifi, power and an HDMI input. Need adequate download speed (min of 10 MB but realistically 20MB)
    Last edited by Doc; 09-26-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks, Doc. That's very intriguing.

I guess I'll ask the obvious question: how is it not piracy?
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 09-27-2017 at 02:11 AM.

Not an answer to your question, but it is sold at Amazon and Walmart.

I'd like to think they wouldn't sell something that would be used in an illegal manner. I don't know how, either, however.

But I know I have DroidTV app, and it's not the same thing, but a lot of people thought it was illegal, too. I read the cases, and their explanation, and came to the conclusion they were fine operating as a personal DVR service (after the shows are broadcast, their suppliers drop the shows to the service and if you choose to downloan the show, it goes to your own device.)

Rupp's Runt

I had plans to cut the cord. But Comcast charges me $79 for internet....but offered to bundle me all 3 (phone, tv, internet) for $99 for 2 more years....I don't even have a phone in my house, but it is cheaper to get all 3 services....

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I guess I'll ask the obvious question: how is it not piracy?
    From their website:

Q. Is it legal to use Rveal?

The Rveal Streaming Media Player, like a cell phone or computer, is just the hardware that allows you to access and stream all of your favorite programs from the internet. This content is already available on the web and provided by 3rd-party apps inside the Google Play Store and Kodi. Since there is no file-sharing, storing, copying or in essence "taking possession of the content", Rveal and other similar devices are perfectly legal. Streaming has been around for decades and continues to grow in popularity everyday.

Rupp's Runt

So Doc, you can stream CNN and Fox News live 24/7?

Also, it seems like Kodi on a Raspberry is similar. I may build one soon to see.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    So Doc, you can stream CNN and Fox News live 24/7?

Also, it seems like Kodi on a Raspberry is similar. I may build one soon to see.
    Yes

Back to Cable

So it's another year, and no, I didn't change anything. Momentum can be a bad thing.

The price is scheduled to go up again, but I can save $50 a month and double the Internet speed from 100mbps to 200mbps. I have to accept a crappy selection of channels, and 10 more of my choosing.

It would require me to do without SEC Network and ESPNU.

So I was looking for that streaming device Doc mentioned, and now I can't find it on Amazon.

Doc, are they still in business? Does it still work OK?

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

You can get a cheap antenna at Walmart.
    Real Fan since 1958

I had to replace my reveal box. Transformer went bad and I replaced it with a 12 V rather than a 5 V. Fried the insides. Got the next generation and its way better. $275 and thats it. Plug and play. the new box has zero buffering. the old one Id get movies that did not load but not with this one. I love it because it has NFL package, MLB package, NHL package, NBA package, college football PPV, college basketball PPV.....plus every channel you can imaging (including adult ones, for those interested) all the movie networks (east and west coast feeds), local feeds from every city you can think of, plus every TV show and movie you can think of on demand.

Its less than 2 months what I pay for with Direct TV and get way more.
    Last edited by Doc; 09-08-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I had to replace my reveal box. Transformer went bad and I replaced it with a 12 V rather than a 5 V. Fried the insides. Got the next generation and its way better. $275 and thats it. Plug and play. the new box has zero buffering. the old one Id get movies that did not load but not with this one. I love it because it has NFL package, MLB package, NHL package, NBA package, college football PPV, college basketball PPV.....plus every channel you can imaging (including adult ones, for those interested) all the movie networks (east and west coast feeds), local feeds from every city you can think of, plus every TV show and movie you can think of on demand.
    So...if I reduce my cable package to this local + crappy + 10 package, and get a Rveal, I can get SEC Network, ESPNU, etc.?

I saw the Rveal 2 on Newegg for $275, and that sounds like the way to go. I'd recoup that money in about 4 months of savings and then save money from then on.

yes. we have basic cable with our HOA. 3 regular TV broadcasts are free. we have 6 TVs, 3 with HD..cost 23.00 a month. Then the reveal box. cost is 0 per month. Also have Direct TV for the living room b/c shawn cant deal with the box (at $204 per month but that includes $60 for att internet)..but once we move that is gone. You will miss NOTHING. RVeal sells thru newegg so you buy there but is shipped from RVeal. The new box loads in about 30 sec from power on to watching whatever you want. I use for sports, movies and old TV shows.

and you want reveal2. Comes with mini keyboard. Thats a nice feature as you can surf the web on the box. Plus the feed for TV is 4K
    Last edited by Doc; 09-08-2018 at 03:22 PM.