Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded guy?

Re: How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded g

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Full body wax?
    If this turns into a thread on manscaping I'm going to be so sad. And disgusted.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Re: How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded g

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I just ordered a KEDSUM nose hair trimmer to keep that unruliness in check,
    I recommend a good pair of precision pliers.

why is it that hair grows everywhere except where you want it at this age?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Two years ago I received a personal hair trimmer for Christmas. It was then, and still is, my favorite gift. That thing wipes out nose and ear hair like a Ryobi weed eater.

What brand is it?

Didn't link to anything. Maybe it did but I couldn't see through my hair.

I fixed it.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    If this turns into a thread on manscaping I'm going to be so sad. And disgusted.
    They started it

Rupp's Runt

I recommend a good pair of precision pliers.

why is it that hair grows everywhere except where you want it at this age?
    Excellent question. I wish I knew the answer to that.
    MOLON LABE!

Beard. I trim it when it gets too itchy with standard clippers. Girls love it, strangely, and as an engineer in the oil patch, no one gives a damn otherwise.

Good device right here.

Nose trimmer.JPG

This morning getting ready for church and I am doing a tribute to the cats in that it looks like I shaved with a real live wildcat.
    Got more razor marks on my throat than I can remember.
    Looks like I used a twin blade razor; hacksaw and ginsu...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Gasoline and a match works for me! It's getting hard to find gas without Ethanol though, so I may have to go to propane or something that burns hotter. After Ethanol sets awhile, it don't burn clean and leaves patches of whiskers, causing me to look like a dog with the mange!

Thanks for the link on the trimmers. I usually use a small pair of grooming scissors but they're very pointy and sharp for what they're made for. I'm going to give the trimmer a try.

I've had an old Schick Tracer razor (double blade) for close to 20 years but 2 or 3 years ago they stopped making the blades for it. I found that you could order them from Amazon, often under their Euro moniker, Wilkinson Sword Performer or some such thing. I was ordering about 6 months' worth at a time but it finally got to the point where it was almost like buying them on the black market it was getting so ridiculously expensive. So I finally broke down and bought a Gillette Extreme 3 (3 blades). It works fine but I was sad to see my old friend go into the wastebasket. I don't understand the thinking behind if two blades are good then three must be better and four or even five even better than that.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Darrell - funny you are posting this thread. A couple months ago I decided to up my shaving game as well. Previously, I use to have big issues with skin irritation and I think I have it down pretty well now. Tried several electric razors and they all irritated my skin too much. I still utilize my Mach 3 razor (the blades are pretty inexpensive and I keep talking myself out of the straight blade razor). Any way, so here is my routine. First, I take a nice hot shower to get those pores opened up and I make sure my face is clean. Second, when I get out of the shower I do a little pre-shave unscented beard oil to help that razor glide over the skin and prevent irritation. I like Lather & Wood Unscented pre-shave beard oil. Third, utilize shave butter and I shave twice. First with the grain and then against the grain. After the first swipe I also re-apply beard oil and my shave butter. I use Van Der Hagen's shave butter. I like this one because after I shave I usually just massage the rest of it into my face, helps prevent skin irritation from drying out. Fifth, after shaving I then rinse my face with cold water to close the pores and then I apply a small amount of Bump Patrol to help prevent skin irritation. It's definitely a longer process, than my previous regimen (cheap razors and neutrogena gel) but I have found a method to help reduce my skin irritation (God blessed with me sensitive skin).
    Last edited by wes011; 10-10-2016 at 10:30 PM.
    "I don't like it, but I'll do it. I have to wear something anyway. I wouldn't want to get attacked by all the ladies and get divorced." - Mac122 on wearing black to support the team during a "blackout".

Rupp's Runt

My KEDSUM arrived yesterday. I tried it, and it works like a charm.
    MOLON LABE!

I'm there already tbh.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by wes011 View Post
    Darrell - funny you are posting this thread. A couple months ago I decided to up my shaving game as well. Previously, I use to have big issues with skin irritation and I think I have it down pretty well now. Tried several electric razors and they all irritated my skin too much. I still utilize my Mach 3 razor (the blades are pretty inexpensive and I keep talking myself out of the straight blade razor). Any way, so here is my routine. First, I take a nice hot shower to get those pores opened up and I make sure my face is clean. Second, when I get out of the shower I do a little pre-shave unscented beard oil to help that razor glide over the skin and prevent irritation. I like Lather & Wood Unscented pre-shave beard oil. Third, utilize shave butter and I shave twice. First with the grain and then against the grain. After the first swipe I also re-apply beard oil and my shave butter. I use Van Der Hagen's shave butter. I like this one because after I shave I usually just massage the rest of it into my face, helps prevent skin irritation from drying out. Fifth, after shaving I then rinse my face with cold water to close the pores and then I apply a small amount of Bump Patrol to help prevent skin irritation. It's definitely a longer process, than my previous regimen (cheap razors and neutrogena gel) but I have found a method to help reduce my skin irritation (God blessed with me sensitive skin).
    Wes, you're probably a little higher end on it than I am. But here's what I'm using right now.

I went with the Van der Hagen Safety Razor. I liked the heft, and although I have used longer razors when shaving traditionally, I read up enough on it initially to see a lot of advice given to hold it a little differently, closer to the head, and it seemed to make sense (for me) to get a shorter one anyway. I was going to get a Merkur 34C, but a) it was a little more expensive, and b) I had to order it, and, well, I was in Walmart and looking at something that was about half the price. Oh, and I love the old-style butterfly type opening. I would be fine with the non-butterfly, and I read criticisms of this type of mechanism, but I figured for $18, if it didn't last that long, it would still be worth it. Still going strong.

I use the Shave Secret oil, purchased because it was cheap and adjacent to the razor. Yeah, marketing works. For about $4, I got a small bottle of the shaving oil--it's only 18.75ml, which is less than 1/3rd the size of what you use.

I use 5 drops of it (it says 3-5 drops, but it lasts a long time at that rate, and why not?) and rub it into my face. I like the menthol and clove smell to it.

I'm not thrilled with the shaving soap I'm using, so I will revisit that soon. I bought the Van Der Hagen Shave Soap, which was pretty inexpensive at about $4. I may try something different (I edited here, because I got all mixed up on what I actually bought, and had to go check. Today is Thursday, and I often work at home Thursday mornings, which made this convenient.).

I have three brushes; two I bought and one my son gave me. The one I'm using now is horsehair. I read about badger brushes; I read about boar brushes; and I read a really good article from (shavebest?) that talked about horsehair being underrated as a cross between the two (and also could be found inexpensively). Since I was just getting into the art of shaving, I thought I'd try that to begin with. I don't have a link for it; think I bought one from eBay, one from Shavebest or something like that.

After I conclude, I've been using the Nivea Men's Sensitive Post Shave Balm. It claims to sooth skin irritation and improve skin defense over time. I don't know how it does that; it probably should scare me. It has vitamin E in it, no alcohol, witch hazel extracts, etc. It goes on a little smooth and slick, maybe feels a little "greasy" but not in a bad way, and then after a couple of minutes, it tightens the skin. If I missed a spot (that under the nose area, chin, or occasionally high next to the ear), I will take my electric razor during this time, and it absolutely glides over my face, so the shave balm serves two purposes there.

I haven't had to use this in awhile, but I have had to use this Styptic Pencil. Beats the heck out of tiny toilet tissue hanging from your neck. I probably jinxed myself; I did not wet shave yesterday, watch me cut the heck out of my face today.

Oh--I have used several different blades so far. I used the Van der Hagen blades that came with the razor and an additional pack I bought (I have plenty left), the "by reputation, super-sharp" Feather blade, and a Gillette blade. I bought a sample pack of 10 different blades to try out. I am probably not as discriminating as others, as I haven't really felt much difference between the three I have tried so far.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 10-13-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Rupp's Runt

Darrell, Give shave butter a try sometime.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    After I conclude, I've been using the Nivea Men's Sensitive Post Shave Balm.
    I LOVE that stuff, I have been using it for over 10yrs. It makes for an excellent non-greasy facial lotion as well.

I will try it. Couple of recommendations here, must be a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Darrell, Give shave butter a try sometime.
    It actually lasts a good long time, too. I've been using it regularly since I started this, about 3 times a week, and I still have more than 1/2 a bottle remaining, and use plenty each time. I called it greasy but not in a bad way; I wasn't really sure what to call it. I meant it positive, not negative. Just goes on smoothly, face stays slick if you need to use an electric razor or something for a short period, but dries in just a couple of minutes, tightens your pores, makes the face feel very good, and doesn't dry out the skin. Not sure if it moisturizes the skin or not; it may, but it certainly doesn't dry it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    I LOVE that stuff, I have been using it for over 10yrs. It makes for an excellent non-greasy facial lotion as well.

Do these products come in bottles colored to match your purses and panties?

Just kidding. It's actually quite an historic tradition of men taking time to shave and such, mostly lost since the advent of disposable razors in the post WWII era. Of course at that time hair gels and such were also part of the mix.

Part of that is due to the fact that there weren't as many options, the other that everyone didn't shower and shave every day so it was a more special occasion thing.

personally I just slap on a little soap and use a simple 2 blade Sensor razor. Not perfect but sufficient. When I can I don't shave but after 4-5 days it really bugs me.

Darrell - I have yet to use a shave soap, but I do like the shave butter. I just lather it in my hands and go from there...might not be doing that entirely right, but at the same time I don't really want to spend time on cleaning up a brush after using it.

As sad as this is, I'll admit to it, so I signed up for Pinterest and have read a lot of really good articles with shaving products, how to shave, razors, etc... in fact it's becoming a favorite of mine because whatever interests you want articles or pictures about (mine are bourbon, shaving, sports cars, and women in workout attire I.e yoga pants)...that's all that shows up on your wall. It's pretty nice in fact except you have the Pinterest app.....but if you can deal with that then I'd recommend trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Wes, you're probably a little higher end on it than I am. But here's what I'm using right now.

I went with the Van der Hagen Safety Razor. I liked the heft, and although I have used longer razors when shaving traditionally, I read up enough on it initially to see a lot of advice given to hold it a little differently, closer to the head, and it seemed to make sense (for me) to get a shorter one anyway. I was going to get a Merkur 34C, but a) it was a little more expensive, and b) I had to order it, and, well, I was in Walmart and looking at something that was about half the price. Oh, and I love the old-style butterfly type opening. I would be fine with the non-butterfly, and I read criticisms of this type of mechanism, but I figured for $18, if it didn't last that long, it would still be worth it. Still going strong.

I use the Shave Secret oil, purchased because it was cheap and adjacent to the razor. Yeah, marketing works. For about $4, I got a small bottle of the shaving oil--it's only 18.75ml, which is less than 1/3rd the size of what you use.

I use 5 drops of it (it says 3-5 drops, but it lasts a long time at that rate, and why not?) and rub it into my face. I like the menthol and clove smell to it.

I'm not thrilled with the shaving soap I'm using, so I will revisit that soon. I bought the Van Der Hagen Shave Soap, which was pretty inexpensive at about $4. I may try something different (I edited here, because I got all mixed up on what I actually bought, and had to go check. Today is Thursday, and I often work at home Thursday mornings, which made this convenient.).

I have three brushes; two I bought and one my son gave me. The one I'm using now is horsehair. I read about badger brushes; I read about boar brushes; and I read a really good article from (shavebest?) that talked about horsehair being underrated as a cross between the two (and also could be found inexpensively). Since I was just getting into the art of shaving, I thought I'd try that to begin with. I don't have a link for it; think I bought one from eBay, one from Shavebest or something like that.

After I conclude, I've been using the Nivea Men's Sensitive Post Shave Balm. It claims to sooth skin irritation and improve skin defense over time. I don't know how it does that; it probably should scare me. It has vitamin E in it, no alcohol, witch hazel extracts, etc. It goes on a little smooth and slick, maybe feels a little "greasy" but not in a bad way, and then after a couple of minutes, it tightens the skin. If I missed a spot (that under the nose area, chin, or occasionally high next to the ear), I will take my electric razor during this time, and it absolutely glides over my face, so the shave balm serves two purposes there.

I haven't had to use this in awhile, but I have had to use this Styptic Pencil. Beats the heck out of tiny toilet tissue hanging from your neck. I probably jinxed myself; I did not wet shave yesterday, watch me cut the heck out of my face today.

Oh--I have used several different blades so far. I used the Van der Hagen blades that came with the razor and an additional pack I bought (I have plenty left), the "by reputation, super-sharp" Feather blade, and a Gillette blade. I bought a sample pack of 10 different blades to try out. I am probably not as discriminating as others, as I haven't really felt much difference between the three I have tried so far.
    Follow-up 7-months later....

a) I am still using, and enjoying, the Van der Hagen safety razor. Have sort of figured it out and it just fits well.

b) I have not changed soaps yet; in fact, I bought another bar of it. I have only bought two since I began, but about ready for a new purchase. I could be talked into something else, but I will probably stick with it. I vacillate between using it almost like a cream (less water, more soap) and really lathering it up good (takes longer, begins very thin, have to work into it). I may still try that shave butter; it looks like it still gets great recommendations from people.

c) Still like the Shave Oil. Cheap and works. Used my first bottle up about a month ago, but it lasted about six months, so 3-5 drops really lasts. Occasionally I will use 1-2 drops and my electric razor if I'm in a big hurry, and it helps. If I'm not in a huge hurry, but don't want to spend the time for the full shave experience, I'll use 3-5 drops with hot water, and no shaving soap. I do a one-pass version that works fine for a day.

d) For razor blades, I bought a 100-pack of the Astra Superior Platinum Premium blades for about $11 on Amazon. Will probably last a lifetime. I use one blade for maybe 5-6 shaves, and I don't shave every day with this razor. I can get by every other day usually, or with a fill-in shave with my electric razor. So one blade literally lasts me close to two weeks. I probably bought a 4-year supply of razor blades. I may start replacing them sooner; they're certainly cheap enough.

e) I still use the Nivea Men's Sensitive Post Shave Balm every time I shave. And the 4 oz bottle has lasted over six months doing it. Only takes a little.

For shaving, my normal is a "two-pass" method. I use the blade down my face, but up my neck, for pass # 1. For pass # 2 (re-lather, and start again), I go from my ears sideways to the lip area. From there, under the nose, I just go the same direction again. I find that area very sensitive for me, so I just "re-do" it the same way. Same for my chin.

Occasionally, if I have a ton of time, and/or I am planning for sure not to shave the next day, I'll do a three-pass method. There I shave from my mouth area back toward the ears on the face (same for throat). On the throat, on the 3rd pass, I'll usually check very carefully to see if I need to go downward against the grain of the whiskers, because that can be my bugaboo.

80% of the time it's a two-pass method; 10% one-pass, 10% three-pass.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I'm there already tbh.
    Same here...sorta. The hair on my legs (upper thighs and calves)weren't particularly coarse and would break off causing infected follicles and it hurt when my pants would rub, so I shaved those areas. Looked kinda weird when I wore shorts so I expanded and kept on expanding because WHERE DO YOU STOP? Got tired of that regimen so I started getting waxed and after a while it pretty much stopped growing back.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

I used the double edged razors when I started shaving as a young pup. Really peeled some skin off back then. These days I use a cheap disposable and a $20 trimmer.

This gives me the smoothest freshest shave I'e ever had. Everytime.
    https://www.amazon.com/C-O-Bigelow-P...YRSRFZC6S&th=1
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Ouch. If I'm not mistaken, I'm not sure BEvans is aligned with badrose here....

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I'm there already tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Same here...sorta. The hair on my legs (upper thighs and calves)weren't particularly coarse and would break off causing infected follicles and it hurt when my pants would rub, so I shaved those areas. Looked kinda weird when I wore shorts so I expanded and kept on expanding because WHERE DO YOU STOP? Got tired of that regimen so I started getting waxed and after a while it pretty much stopped growing back.

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    This gives me the smoothest freshest shave I'e ever had. Everytime.
    https://www.amazon.com/C-O-Bigelow-P...YRSRFZC6S&th=1
    Coastie, that looks pretty good. I probably wouldn't use any pre-shave oil drops with that either, as it seems to have it "built-in," correct?

I may get that instead.