Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded guy?

How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded guy?

Recently decided I'd try double edge razor shaving. Just thought the whole idea appealed to me of getting back to basics, while pampering the face with luxurious lotion and brushes, etc.

This is after years of being 90% electric razor, 10% cheap disposable razor (traveling, and occasional use at home).

I got a fairly low-end razor for about $20 that is a conservative, non-aggressive razor, and trying different blades now. Have a horsehair brush for now, with a badger brush ordered. Tried two different shaving soaps so far (one terrible, one decent), and shaving oil I like.

Takes a little longer, and I have had an occasional nick here or there--with one really bad occasion of razor bumps when I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing--but have enjoyed it. And no doubt, it's a smoother shave, even for my beard, which is pretty sporadic. I'm still in my first month of "the change," though, and still evaluating how I like it.

What do you do? Share your tips and your get-up if you will.

Re: How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded g

My shaving is pretty simple. Hot water to wash face and rinse with hot water. I have a triple blade razor that I have had for 20 years or more and that is all I use. My shaving cream come out of a can. I do not look at shaving as an activity to enjoy but more as a chore that needs to be done every morning.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

beard

Re: How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded g

Full beard, but I still trim it up daily.
    Most of the time, just wet the face with hot water and go at it with a Gillette fusion with the old vibrating head.

Once a week, usually Sunday morning, I pamper myself with actual shaving soap and a brush and an old straight razor; even have an old strop...

Will probably give that up before too long...just isn't worth all the extra fuss.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

I have one of those little lithium ion trimmers. Cant remember the make because I use it infrequently, just to avoid the Nebbiekanezzer or Brigham Young looks

Grammy is the reason I am not full blown Duck Dynasty...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded guy?

Braun Electric, with one of those self cleaning/charger stations. The cleaner stuff gives the shave head a nice lemony smell.

I like it, used a dbl/blade with canned cream prior to the Braun...I don't ever see me going back.

I've had it about ten years, I've replaced the foil and the blade part once about a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I get up, look in the mirror, snarl with a mean glare at my whiskers, and they f' off immediately in terror. Sometimes if I let it go 4-5 days it doesn't work as well, they get all uppity, and then I have to shave. I sharpened a piece of old tin roof with a rock and have used that since I was 9 and started shaving.

My grandpa says I'm a wimp. He just uses a rock. As an abrasive generally to wear them down and then he just beats the really stubborn ones with it.

Seriously, I use a gillette two blade sensor razor and whatever soap happens to be handy. Haven't used actual dedicated shaving cream or such in forever.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I may still be in the "honeymoon" stage, but my face feels so good after going through the shaving treatment like this. It takes longer, but it's a little luxury to do it this way to me.

Reminds me of the Christmas when my favorite gift was a nose/ear trimmer. Man, have times changed...

I use barber clippers as close as I can get, leaving even stubble, about every three days.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    I use barber clippers as close as I can get, leaving even stubble, about every three days.
    Hippie

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Hippie
    LOL! I just got really tired of shaving and hated the cost of blades.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    That's my regimen too.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Wax
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Haven't lost too much blood due to nicks, and still enjoying the regimen every couple of days. It's a luxury.

For all you soap/blade guys. I had poison ivy a few weeks ago and I stumbled over some soap that I think would be ideal for shaving.

Kirks Natural Coco Soap. It came in a three pack in a generic looking white wrapper. Supposed to be all natural and hypoallergenic... anyway it's the foamiest soap I've ever used yet rinses surprisingly well, and seems like it work well for shaving.

I found it at Krogers kind of at the other end of the shelf where all the other name brand soaps are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I will take a look at that, thanks.

Bombino

I use a norelco beard trimmer that I picked up at Costco for $45

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Haven't lost too much blood due to nicks, and still enjoying the regimen every couple of days. It's a luxury.
    I was curious if you'd decapitated yourself yet.

I'd rather just shave every 3-4 days but work prevents it. But on my days off I guarantee I don't shave.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I really enjoy the process. Take my time, hot water, shaving oil, shaving soap in a bowl and a brush (I use horsehair, which has been great, but may move to badger sometime. Then again, that Wisconsin connection sours me...).

Nice sharp blade, the feel of the hot metal heavy razor, and short strokes almost like you're painting the whiskers off.

I finish the first pass with the grain, lather up again with the soap in the bowl, then go cross grain on my second pass. I am not going against the grain for now, as it gets it plenty smooth for me.

Hot water splash off, and a post shave balm for the skin. I run into all kind of people so I don't use scented stuff, but it's a clean smell, slightly tightens the skin but doesn't have alcohol in it (I'd rather splash alcohol inside my face than on it).

Just a good experience. I sometimes am tempted to go back and catch that small area that I didn't get perfectly under the nose or something, but I'm using my electric razor if a minor touch up is needed. Also do the same on day 2 if I need a touch up (usually don't).

Last year I switched to a Dorco razor and blades after I did some research and learned they were the company doing the Dollar Shave Club razors and blades. Much cheaper than the Gillette/Schick blades you buy in the stores, so I switch blades more often and my face is happier.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Thanks BE. I have been looking for a replacement for the old handle and blade set up I have had for years. This one looks like it will fit the bill.

I am liking it. Thanks again BE
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 09-26-2016 at 09:28 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Dollar Shave club with Shave Butter about 3 times a week. I recently reduced to the every other month plan.

Used to shave almost daily. Got lazy when the kid was born.

Harrys razors. They are the best delivered right to your door.

15 minutes tonight of shave oil, lathering, hot water, new blade, pass 1, new lather, pass 2, face lotion. Nice. Feels so good, and no need to shave in the morning when I have to go to court.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by truecatsfan View Post
    Harrys razors. They are the best delivered right to your door.
    I've wanted to try Harry's but the shave butter is keeping me with the Dollar Shave Club.

Darrell, you are really enjoying this. As someone else said, to me this is a chore.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Wax
    What are you waxing, your beard, your back, your underarms?
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    What are you waxing, your beard, your back, your underarms?
    Full body wax?

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post

Darrell, you are really enjoying this. As someone else said, to me this is a chore.
    I am. I've never taken this much time to shave, and finding the process enjoyable. I actually look forward to it.

I placed a stopwatch down last night to see how long it was taking, and it was a tic over 15 minutes. That's an excessive amount of time if you are in a hurry, getting ready for work, etc. It's a luxury.

I am basically shaving once every two days with an occasional electric razor touch up and occasionally I am skipping the full shave process in favor of a 3-5 minute electric razor shave. So maybe twice a week I have this luxury.

Have tried two different types of blades and will continue to experiment with different blades as well.

Rupp's Runt

I just ordered a KEDSUM nose hair trimmer to keep that unruliness in check, and a couple different shaving creams to break the monotony. Via Amazon. I'm still working in uniform, so I have to shave every working day, plus one day on the weekend depending on which day we choose to attend Mass. And I haven't used any scented aftershaves in years now, I just roll with straight-up 70% alcohol on my face after shaving.
    I use a Gillette Mach 3 razor, but I do have a wet/dry electric razor too in case I have a rough spot that needs to be smoothed out for special occasions when I have to be 100% perfect for appearances purposes.
    MOLON LABE!