Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded g

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Ouch. If I'm not mistaken, I'm not sure BEvans is aligned with badrose here....
    Yep. I believe you're right. No biggie.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Re: How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded g

Ouch. If I'm not mistaken, I'm not sure BEvans is aligned with badrose here....
    Yeah, I was referring more to being "sad and disgusted."
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Wes, you're probably a little higher end on it than I am. But here's what I'm using right now.

I went with the Van der Hagen Safety Razor. I liked the heft, and although I have used longer razors when shaving traditionally, I read up enough on it initially to see a lot of advice given to hold it a little differently, closer to the head, and it seemed to make sense (for me) to get a shorter one anyway. I was going to get a Merkur 34C, but a) it was a little more expensive, and b) I had to order it, and, well, I was in Walmart and looking at something that was about half the price. Oh, and I love the old-style butterfly type opening. I would be fine with the non-butterfly, and I read criticisms of this type of mechanism, but I figured for $18, if it didn't last that long, it would still be worth it. Still going strong.

I use the Shave Secret oil, purchased because it was cheap and adjacent to the razor. Yeah, marketing works. For about $4, I got a small bottle of the shaving oil--it's only 18.75ml, which is less than 1/3rd the size of what you use.

I use 5 drops of it (it says 3-5 drops, but it lasts a long time at that rate, and why not?) and rub it into my face. I like the menthol and clove smell to it.

I'm not thrilled with the shaving soap I'm using, so I will revisit that soon. I bought the Van Der Hagen Shave Soap, which was pretty inexpensive at about $4. I may try something different (I edited here, because I got all mixed up on what I actually bought, and had to go check. Today is Thursday, and I often work at home Thursday mornings, which made this convenient.).

I have three brushes; two I bought and one my son gave me. The one I'm using now is horsehair. I read about badger brushes; I read about boar brushes; and I read a really good article from (shavebest?) that talked about horsehair being underrated as a cross between the two (and also could be found inexpensively). Since I was just getting into the art of shaving, I thought I'd try that to begin with. I don't have a link for it; think I bought one from eBay, one from Shavebest or something like that.

After I conclude, I've been using the Nivea Men's Sensitive Post Shave Balm. It claims to sooth skin irritation and improve skin defense over time. I don't know how it does that; it probably should scare me. It has vitamin E in it, no alcohol, witch hazel extracts, etc. It goes on a little smooth and slick, maybe feels a little "greasy" but not in a bad way, and then after a couple of minutes, it tightens the skin. If I missed a spot (that under the nose area, chin, or occasionally high next to the ear), I will take my electric razor during this time, and it absolutely glides over my face, so the shave balm serves two purposes there.

I haven't had to use this in awhile, but I have had to use this Styptic Pencil. Beats the heck out of tiny toilet tissue hanging from your neck. I probably jinxed myself; I did not wet shave yesterday, watch me cut the heck out of my face today.

Oh--I have used several different blades so far. I used the Van der Hagen blades that came with the razor and an additional pack I bought (I have plenty left), the "by reputation, super-sharp" Feather blade, and a Gillette blade. I bought a sample pack of 10 different blades to try out. I am probably not as discriminating as others, as I haven't really felt much difference between the three I have tried so far.
    Just an update on my shaving game.

a) I'm still using the same safety razor. It just works for me, and works well.

b) I purchased a 100-pack of the Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades. Love them. Cut close and smooth. I rarely ever get a nick, and when I do, it's usually because I've been neglectful about changing out the blade. $10 for 100. Literally, a dime apiece for a blade. I always get at least a week out of it and when I discard it after only 3 or 4 shaves (that's usually what I do in a week with the blade, with touchups with an electric razor), I feel almost like I'm wasteful, as I know I could get more out of it. But you know, for 2-3 cents a shave, I splurge! I don't know how many blades I have left, probably 90 (I had some variety pack before, and some Gillette, etc., so I didn't start using them right away).

c) As I said, I do touchups with my electric razor. The combinations work well. I have settled on a "two-pass" system with my double edge blades, where I go down my face with the first pass, and up my neck; and the second pass I go from my ear to my nose sideways on both sides of the face and throat. Caveat--I always shave down twice under the nose, as well as my chin. I found early on if I didn't, I had a tendency to nick myself. After I shave twice, I carefully shave upward under my nose to get a smooth shave from those whiskers between my nose and upper lip and I haven't nicked myself yet doing it that way.

d) I am continuing to use the same shave soap and oil routine. I found that rather than using more soap, using less and more water worked even better. I "lather" it with the horsehair brush on my face itself and it lathers up pretty good. It's not super-thick, but plenty, and the razor glides, which is the main thing. I do very much like the horsehair brush and glad I stuck with that combo/betweener option.

e) I also occasionally use a Neutrogena men sensitive skin shave cream (this is the shave butter stuff in a tube)--use a quarter sized dollop of it, and it works well when I have less time. Picked it up for under a dollar with some sort of coupon or something and it is lasting forever because I don't use it very often.

f) I picked up a Feather Blade Disposal Case just to make it easy. It holds 100 blades, less than $5, so it will last me 1-2 years.

g) I am still using the Nivea Men's Sensitive Skin post-shave balm. Very nice, really like it. Have a feeling it sort of "heals" the skin. I am not a metrosexual/manscaping kinda guy, and I almost never wear anything with a scent for a ton of reasons, but this has the slightest -- and I mean slightest--just sort of tiny clean smell. I can live with that.

I am on my 2nd bottle of it, but the first bottle lasted forever, and I just started on this one. I use it almost every single shave with the blade, so 3-4 times a week, easy. Takes very little to cover the entire face and neck.

So my recurring costs:

The razor -- one-time cost of $18. Looks like it will last for many years
    The blades -- 10 cents a blade, and get 3-4 shaves out of it.
    The soap -- I don't remember, maybe $3 or 4. Lasts a long time, maybe 6 months or more.
    The shaving oil -- costs $3 or $4 at Walmart, more elsewhere. I'm now on my 2nd bottle of it. First one lasted a long time.
    The post-shave cream--costs about $5 I guess. On my 2nd bottle of it, again, just started and it lasted a long time.
    The Neutrogena shave cream (instead of soap) -- I think it's normally $4 or $5, but had a coupon for $3 or $4 off, almost free. Probably 75% of it still left, as I just use it in between soap shaves, still my favorite.
    Electric razor - cost of charging it up once every couple of months. Practically nothing. Have had that razor for years. I clean it thoroughly about every time I charge it; probably should do it more often.
    Styptic pencil -- I dunno, maybe $1 when I first bought it. Even though when I use it , I wet it and don't bother drying it like I should, etc., allowing it to somewhat disintegrate, it's nowhere near needing replacing now, since I use it rarely. Practically nothing.

Rupp's Runt

Was just thinking about this thread. I am about to finish up using a tube of Cremo (I think I spelled that correctly). I love that stuff. It was odd the first shave, because it feels different, but man I like it now.

I've got to buy a new one. My current razor is probably 15 years old, missing an on/off button and dull as crap.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I think I"m going to go Darrell's way, mostly b/c the blades are so stupid cheap you can always have a nice sharp one.

That and I actually sell vintage safety razors, straight razors, etc. Would be cool to use one I suppose.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded guy?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I think I"m going to go Darrell's way, mostly b/c the blades are so stupid cheap you can always have a nice sharp one.

That and I actually sell vintage safety razors, straight razors, etc. Would be cool to use one I suppose.
    Definitely hits the cool factor if you are using one of your vintage razors.

Definitely hits the cool factor if you are using one of your vintage razors.
    Thinking about doing it on auction day up on the podium before I start, just for effect.

IT is true, I've sold a bunch of them over the years. We put together little groups of collectibles like that, vintage lighters, that sort of stuff. One at a time they wont' bring anything, but a group of them will get some action.

If one comes through sometime I'll get it, otherwise I'll just buy a new one. Will still have the cool factor. lol.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Also thought about getting a straight razor too. That feels right for me. I could carry it around all day and use it, then shave with it in the morning. Just one more part of my badass image.

How do you shave? Electric, disposable, double edge, straight razor, or bearded guy?

Anybody have any changes or anything to add to what you were previously doing?

I use a Gillette razor that has 5 blades but I only shave about every two or three days. They last quite a while.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Rupp's Runt

Cremo and dollar shave club. Zero complaints.

Just an update on my shaving game.

a) I'm still using the same safety razor. It just works for me, and works well.

b) I purchased a 100-pack of the Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades. Love them. Cut close and smooth. I rarely ever get a nick, and when I do, it's usually because I've been neglectful about changing out the blade. $10 for 100. Literally, a dime apiece for a blade. I always get at least a week out of it and when I discard it after only 3 or 4 shaves (that's usually what I do in a week with the blade, with touchups with an electric razor), I feel almost like I'm wasteful, as I know I could get more out of it. But you know, for 2-3 cents a shave, I splurge! I don't know how many blades I have left, probably 90 (I had some variety pack before, and some Gillette, etc., so I didn't start using them right away).

c) As I said, I do touchups with my electric razor. The combinations work well. I have settled on a "two-pass" system with my double edge blades, where I go down my face with the first pass, and up my neck; and the second pass I go from my ear to my nose sideways on both sides of the face and throat. Caveat--I always shave down twice under the nose, as well as my chin. I found early on if I didn't, I had a tendency to nick myself. After I shave twice, I carefully shave upward under my nose to get a smooth shave from those whiskers between my nose and upper lip and I haven't nicked myself yet doing it that way.

d) I am continuing to use the same shave soap and oil routine. I found that rather than using more soap, using less and more water worked even better. I "lather" it with the horsehair brush on my face itself and it lathers up pretty good. It's not super-thick, but plenty, and the razor glides, which is the main thing. I do very much like the horsehair brush and glad I stuck with that combo/betweener option.

e) I also occasionally use a Neutrogena men sensitive skin shave cream (this is the shave butter stuff in a tube)--use a quarter sized dollop of it, and it works well when I have less time. Picked it up for under a dollar with some sort of coupon or something and it is lasting forever because I don't use it very often.

f) I picked up a Feather Blade Disposal Case just to make it easy. It holds 100 blades, less than $5, so it will last me 1-2 years.

g) I am still using the Nivea Men's Sensitive Skin post-shave balm. Very nice, really like it. Have a feeling it sort of "heals" the skin. I am not a metrosexual/manscaping kinda guy, and I almost never wear anything with a scent for a ton of reasons, but this has the slightest -- and I mean slightest--just sort of tiny clean smell. I can live with that.

I am on my 2nd bottle of it, but the first bottle lasted forever, and I just started on this one. I use it almost every single shave with the blade, so 3-4 times a week, easy. Takes very little to cover the entire face and neck.

So my recurring costs:

The razor -- one-time cost of $18. Looks like it will last for many years
    The blades -- 10 cents a blade, and get 3-4 shaves out of it.
    The soap -- I don't remember, maybe $3 or 4. Lasts a long time, maybe 6 months or more.
    The shaving oil -- costs $3 or $4 at Walmart, more elsewhere. I'm now on my 2nd bottle of it. First one lasted a long time.
    The post-shave cream--costs about $5 I guess. On my 2nd bottle of it, again, just started and it lasted a long time.
    The Neutrogena shave cream (instead of soap) -- I think it's normally $4 or $5, but had a coupon for $3 or $4 off, almost free. Probably 75% of it still left, as I just use it in between soap shaves, still my favorite.
    Electric razor - cost of charging it up once every couple of months. Practically nothing. Have had that razor for years. I clean it thoroughly about every time I charge it; probably should do it more often.
    Styptic pencil -- I dunno, maybe $1 when I first bought it. Even though when I use it , I wet it and don't bother drying it like I should, etc., allowing it to somewhat disintegrate, it's nowhere near needing replacing now, since I use it rarely. Practically nothing.
    Same razor.

Same blades. Astra Superior Platinum. Dirt cheap. Work great.

Same soap. Van der Hagen. It's OK. Takes longer than it should to really lather up good, but really enjoy using the shaving brush and the soap bowl and then lathering it on my face. Probably should look for a better soap when it finally runs out.

Same shaving oil, but almost never use it. Sometimes I'll use it if I'm using my Philips One Blade. I'm not sure I can tell the difference, but I kinda like the smell. If I'm in a hurry, and want to use my safety razor, I'll throw a couple of drops of it in my hands with water and shave that way. Lot quicker to clean up.

Same post-shave cream, Nivea post shave balm. Really soothing. Soaks in skin. You think it's going to be greasy, but it's not.

Added the One Blade to my electric razor duo. Now when I don't feel like shaving and can get away with it, I don't shave. But if I need to not look disheveled, and/or I've gone several days without shaving and want it to be nice and comfortable, I'll use the One Blade. Super quick, and doesn't get as close as a real shave but comfortable, quick, and passable, even if you haven't shaved in several days.

I use my electric razor only as a "go over" after I use my safety razor when I want to be really close.

Same styptic pencil. Rare that it ever is needed. I sometimes forget how long I've used a blade, and if I nick myself, I automatically punish the wrongdoing blade and get a new one. That's the benefit of using these safety razors. It's a 7-8 cents solution.

Same exact blades as Darrell. As he said, stupid cheap and work great. Get a year's worth for less than $15. That's dang near free.

Merkur (sp?) razor. Works fine. A little short, I may look for something with a different angle at some point, but still extremely happy with it.

Use C. O. Bigelow cream, I like it. I also got one from a kit that I use, it's fine too, but think I like the Bigelow best so far.

Switching to old school is a no brainer for me. Better shave, far cheaper.

I want to work on using a true straight razor. Probably not as good, but damned it would impress the chicks.

Fwiw, I had zoned in on the Merkur myself, and ended up with the Van der Hagen because it was in front of me at a store, and cheap. The Merkur is a better razor, but I'm fine with what I have.

CBBN, I had toiled between the standard and the long handled version, and reading some article made me believe standard was better for some reason. I don't think I'm dreaming that, and I don't remember why.

I got used to the shorter handle pretty quick.

My only challenge is getting the angle right around my chin and mouth area. My beard grows in multiple directions, so i have to go different ways to get a nice smooth shave, and I like a very smooth shave.

I could get a head with a more aggressive angle maybe. I need to look into it and see what is best, just haven't taken the time.

I use some shave oil before lathering up with the Bigelow cream but I’m still not sure it actually does anything. I need to try it with just the oil as it would be so much easier. I toss my Voskhod blades after two uses so a nickel a shave on the blades. Works for me. My razor is a Viking Chieftan Jr. and it’s pretty short but I’ve gotten used to it. It’s all about getting the right angle.

Edit: I meant to add that I can’t get up under my nose with the double edge razor but I couldn’t with the 4 or 5 blades either. I just buy a bag of twin blade disposables once a year so I can get that spot.
    Last edited by Catfan73; 03-26-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Trader Joes has this shaving lotion (vs foam) that I really like. It's mango-honey scented so if you're not into fruity-smelling stuff it may not be for you--I gave a tube of it to my brother-in-law and it wasn't for him. But it's not overpowering and doesn't stay with you all day, so I don't have a problem with it.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I got used to the shorter handle pretty quick.

My only challenge is getting the angle right around my chin and mouth area. My beard grows in multiple directions, so i have to go different ways to get a nice smooth shave, and I like a very smooth shave.

I could get a head with a more aggressive angle maybe. I need to look into it and see what is best, just haven't taken the time.
    My chin is a difficult area to get, no matter what angle I try. What I ended up with as my solution is to finish shaving and now worry about it, apply the Nivea post shave balm lotion, let it soak in a little, and then take my old three head Norelco electric shaver to that area.

Works like a charm, although it's disappointing it's needed as an extra step. Only takes a few seconds, though.

The balm makes it glide a little, but it does gum up the blades and it needs cleaning frequently, though. I don't do it every time, as most of the time I'm OK with the chin not being perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I use some shave oil before lathering up with the Bigelow cream but I’m still not sure it actually does anything. I need to try it with just the oil as it would be so much easier. I toss my Voskhod blades after two uses so a nickel a shave on the blades. Works for me. My razor is a Viking Chieftan Jr. and it’s pretty short but I’ve gotten used to it. It’s all about getting the right angle.

Edit: I meant to add that I can’t get up under my nose with the double edge razor but I couldn’t with the 4 or 5 blades either. I just buy a bag of twin blade disposables once a year so I can get that spot.
    I know this is a dumb question on my part, but have you tried turning the razor upside down? I struggled with the area under my nose for a while until I watched a video on YouTube with a guy shaving and he did that. It kind of scared me, and to be honest, I cut myself under the nose the first time I did it, but over time it became very easy to do and I no longer nick myself when I do it. I can go right up to the very end of the nose that way.

Hmmm might have to try that. I did try shaving with just the oil and it was very smooth. I like to shave in the shower though so take it with a grain of salt. BTW Darrell, I also use the Nivea, great stuff and it only takes a very small amount. I like that it’s pretty much unscented too.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Have pretty much stopped shaving but use an electric to trim up every couple weeks.

Fab Five

Intresting stuff!!

I use a razor my wife bought me for Christmas in 1989. I used Trac 2 cartridges. I have over the years thought about getting a new one but have not found anything that has the heft this one has. Have thought about going the safety razor route but am convinced I will kill myself with it.

I have a boar hair brush. This is the second one I have had since the one my wife bought in 1989 when she bought the razor (it was our first Christmas after I got out of Grad School and the first time we had any money). She got both (brush, razor) from Taylor of Old Bond Street in London.

I've used various shaving creams over the years, but the one I have used most is the Sandlewood from Taylor.

I just purchased a new shaving soap product from Lush that I am liking a lot. They had one that I tried but there was no foam. This one works very well.