Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Biometric safe "bargain" or not?

Biometric safe "bargain" or not?

There's a closeout store here that has a Barska biometric safe that I can pick up at a rock bottom price. With no documentation. No keys. No anything.

The fingerprint scanner thing is "on," batteries are in it, etc. It retails for $200, Amazon sells it for $160, and I can get it for about $50. Really has great reviews. Can register up to 30 fingerprints on it.

Should I....

a) Leave it alone. Not worth the hassle.

b) Call the company before I buy it--tell them I'm buying it new, but the display model has no paperwork, no keys (maybe they are inside?), etc., and asking if they will be able to give me a code, make keys for me, allow me to reprogram the fingerprint scanner?

c) Buy it, and THEN call the company and tell them I have one, and repeat the above (that way I'll have the serial number, etc. already?)

I've been wanting a good, reliable one, and have read enough reviews that this one will be solid. It has a few negatives (there is a Mythbusters trick if you leave your fingerprint on the window of it that would allow others to open it; you have to program it "correctly" to make sure it opens only when you want it to, need to register several angles of finger, etc.), but overall, it seems very good.

May not be worth the hassle, though. Maybe I should check the store return policy, too and make sure it isn't "all sales final" or something like that.

Re: Biometric safe "bargain" or not?

Try 1234 on the PIN pad, some of these have that code set at the factory. http://www.barska.com/ax11644_bc354.pdf

Other manuals are at: http://www.barska.com/safe-manuals.html

For keys, if you can't open it and find them inside, get the serial number off the safe and call the company and see if you can get a couple of keys to replace your lost ones before doing anything. If you can't get keys it is useless. Some of these safes are able to have 30 different fingerprints programmed to open them. Sounds a bit like this one: http://www.barska.com/Biometric_Safe...rint_LocK.html

If the store can't open it, but you can, cut their asking price in half and make an offer.

I have a GunSafe biometric. I love it. I say go for it!

Rupp's Runt

Those biometric gun safes are nice, especially if you can have select people in the memory program. Just the ones you can trust with access.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Try 1234 on the PIN pad, some of these have that code set at the factory. http://www.barska.com/ax11644_bc354.pdf

Other manuals are at: http://www.barska.com/safe-manuals.html

For keys, if you can't open it and find them inside, get the serial number off the safe and call the company and see if you can get a couple of keys to replace your lost ones before doing anything. If you can't get keys it is useless. Some of these safes are able to have 30 different fingerprints programmed to open them. Sounds a bit like this one: http://www.barska.com/Biometric_Safe...rint_LocK.html

If the store can't open it, but you can, cut their asking price in half and make an offer.
    You nailed it--that's the one.

I bought it today. Have it home, looking for the serial number. Can't find it. Started to call the company, but the website asks to email the department, so I briefly explained the issue that I had bought a display model new and that it did not have the keys with it, and other fingerprints are already programmed, so I can't open it. Asked them what I needed to do to get replacement keys.

Store has a 30-day return policy, so no harm, no foul if I can't get replacement keys, but I sure hope I can.

Just got off the phone with the company; I'm sending the receipt and info they asked for and they're sending a replacement key. Nice!

Thanks for the help, folks.

Maybe it's like the small Sentry safes. I can pick them with a paperclip. No kidding, gotten into a few of them when we pick them up to auction. Basically they are just so easily bump picked you can do it with a paperclip.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Maybe, but a lot easier for them to just send the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Maybe, but a lot easier for them to just send the key.
    I'm hoping that one is more secure bc it was stunning how easily I got into the sentry models.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Barska seems to have a solid reputation.

Barska seems to have a solid reputation.
    I think it's a good choice. I think sentry stands alone in their lock quality.

I've gotten into lock picking a bit due to work. We often encounter locked things people want sold and have no keys. Sometimes it's worth having one made sometimes not. It's amazing how many locks can be picked fairly easily.

The new bio/lock combo handgun safes are the way to go though.

Bombino

Biometric safe "bargain" or not?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I think it's a good choice. I think sentry stands alone in their lock quality.

I've gotten into lock picking a bit due to work. We often encounter locked things people want sold and have no keys. Sometimes it's worth having one made sometimes not. It's amazing how many locks can be picked fairly easily.

The new bio/lock combo handgun safes are the way to go though.
    You can pick Sentry safes with a strong magnet placed at the right point. They are just that bad.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

FWIW, the company has already replied (I had to send in paperwork, including a key replacement form) and said the new key was being shipped (but allow 1-2 weeks for delivery). No charge (supposed to be $25, which I would have happily paid).

FWIW, the company has already replied (I had to send in paperwork, including a key replacement form) and said the new key was being shipped (but allow 1-2 weeks for delivery). No charge (supposed to be $25, which I would have happily paid).
    Odds are probably pretty good the original keys are locked inside. You got a steal either way.