Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Need help finding a great place to dine for our anniversary

Need help finding a great place to dine for our anniversary

Every year since we married we dine at a different place on our anniversary. August the 26th we will have been married 34 years.

This year we were thinking about visiting Nashville Indiana and giving that area a try but have little insight into the area or what reviews to believe.
    And we're open to any and all ideas for a nice evening with great food and semi-romantic atmosphere.

Any ideas within two or three hours of Fort Knox would be appreciated.
    We sort of prefer American food but aren't limited to that

(By the way, I consider Jerrys a semi romantic atmosphere so don't let that hinder ya.)
    Last edited by kingcat; 08-20-2016 at 02:00 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Re: Need help finding a great place to dine for our anniversary

I generally get great service at the Waffle House in E'town.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

It's not romantic but I ate at the Back Home restaurant in E-town once, it was good. Like I said not romantic, it's a restaurant and curio shop (think small Cracker Barrel in a 100 year old house), and I imagine everyone down that way already knows about it, but it's the closest I have in that area and it was good. I was there for work and was sick of chains and fast food.

After that I have to go to Louisville and I guarantee many more here know more about it than I do, been years since I ate more than Waffle House level there while passing through.

But within 3-4 hours you have Lexington and a lot of other options all the way to St. Louis. So do you want this to be an overnight thing? I can recommend lexington places for sure. Got you covered if you come this way.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I generally get great service at the Waffle House in E'town.
    Yeah but how's the food and the staff?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I like waffle house. The food and staff at least

We've discussed Ramsey's, so Lexington is not out of the question.
    Have never had a real meal there however

Believe me, this is all we'll get each other for our special day. Then it's back to beans, bologna, and the occasional fast food dive until next August 26th rolls around.
    Last edited by kingcat; 08-21-2016 at 01:56 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Good call Pappy! It's actually been listed as a 5* restaurant. Their chef creates a seasonal menu and tailors it using locally grown/raised ingredients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Good call Pappy! It's actually been listed as a 5* restaurant. Their chef creates a seasonal menu and tailors it using locally grown/raised ingredients.

There are a ton of really good restaurants in Louisville. I've been trying to find the time to take the Mrs. to the Rivue atop the Galt House. A friend of mine is the GM and he tells me they've totally revamped the menu along with having a pretty talented chef it's supposed be very good.... Plus you can't beat the view.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I went to their website and looked at the menu. The food is likely great, but it ain't southern down home cooking for sure
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I went to their website and looked at the menu. The food is likely great, but it ain't southern down home cooking for sure
    Overlook in Leavenworth has a great view and great fried chicken, and the pork chops are also worth the trip.

Holly Hill Inn in Midway. Neat, romantic location and outstanding food.

In Louisville, our favorite places for a romantic dinner are

--Artesano Vino Tapas Y Mas in Westport Village. Great variety of small plates and a nice wine list. Their outdoor seating is very good if weather permits;

--Mitchell's Fish Market at The Summit. Best seafood in town IMHO and again, nice outdoor seating if weather permits.

--Ramsi's Café On The World in the Highlands. Huge menu, but (IMHO) unlike most places with huge menus that try to do too much and often disappoint, this place is a winner. Cool little building right next to Carmichael's Book Store, which is fun to check out afterward (so says my librarian wife ). Ramsi's is also across the street from Mid City Mall and Baxter Avenue Theaters, so it's convenience for a "dinner and a movie" date night, too.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 08-22-2016 at 07:17 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

BTW, Mrs. BEvans and I stopped for an afternoon in Nashville IN last November on the way to Indy to see Steve Martin and Martin Short (a little quid pro quo there). If you've never been there, get ready for an experience--it's like The Lifetime Channel exploded in a town in rural Indiana. You'd never expect anything to be there, then, bam--little antique stores, tea shops and other little stores designed to cater to the estrogen-laden among us. If it gets to be too much, they have a sports bar in town they call "Husband Day Care" (not sure if that's the actual name, but that was the thing that caught my eye as we walked by).
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 08-22-2016 at 07:39 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Overlook in Leavenworth has a great view and great fried chicken, and the pork chops are also worth the trip.

Great place. We dined there about ten years ago on our special day.

There are a ton of really good restaurants in Louisville. I've been trying to find the time to take the Mrs. to the Rivue atop the Galt House. A friend of mine is the GM and he tells me they've totally revamped the menu along with having a pretty talented chef it's supposed be very good.... Plus you can't beat the view.

I proposed to my wife there 20 years ago when it was called The Flagship. We've been there every year since to celebrate our anniversary...last month was #19. They are not open on Mondays, so you've gotta work around that. Usually means we go on Sunday for the Brunch Buffet which is awesome.
    "It's a mere moment in a man's life between an All-Star Game and an Old-Timers Game." - Vin Scully

Feels like an Arby's Night.

-Puddy.

We'll be doing a nights stay and dinner at Patti's 1880's Settlement at the Land between the Lakes.

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll likely take in one of those places next year.

Get the pork shops (they are unreal) and the pie for the meringue.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    We'll be doing a nights stay and dinner at Patti's 1880's Settlement at the Land between the Lakes.

Oh man!!! Now I want a pork chop. What time you all going??😎

Pattis is the bomb. If you need another great dining experience since you are in the area, check out Catfish Kitchen south of KY Dam Village on Hwy 641. Great fried catfish, white beans, and the best dang hush puppies I have ever eaten
    seeya
    dan

No Arbys in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    No Arbys in the area?
    I think our first anniversary dinner was at an Arbys in Louisville.

Preston and Outer Loop I believe.

I think our first anniversary dinner was at an Arbys in Louisville.

Preston and Outer Loop I believe.
    One year I made the rookie mistake of believing Mrs. BEvans when she said she didn't want to do anything on Valentine's Day. Evening rolled around and she wanted to know where we were going--I told her "Nowhere--remember when you said you didn't want to do anything?" She looked at me as if I were speaking Mandarin.

So we got ready and tried to find a place we could get into with no reservations on Valentine's Day (which happened to be on a Saturday, for good measure). After trying a couple of different places, and it being 9 pm and still no table, we left. I was hungry, so on the way home I suggested going through the drive-thru at an Arby's we were driving by.

Later, as I was grabbing my pillow and making a place to sleep on the couch, I decided I'd never, ever, ever believe her when she says she doesn't want to do anything on Valentine's Day.

And since then I've never, ever ever suggested Arby's for dinner, no matter how awesome the Roast Beef & Cheddar with curly fries may be.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 08-25-2016 at 08:25 AM.

Here's one you may want to consider for next year: http://shakervillageky.org/the-trustees-table/

I imagine the fresh produce available at this time of year would make for some good country cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Here's one you may want to consider for next year: http://shakervillageky.org/the-trustees-table/

I imagine the fresh produce available at this time of year would make for some good country cooking.
    Just made a note of that one. It may just do the job.

We really enjoyed the visit to Grand Rivers and LBL.