Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car trouble!

car trouble!

So 4 weeks ago my wife's "Check engine" light comes on and the car makes "a screech" and dies about 1/4 mile from our home. Car will turn over but not start so I have it towed to my mechanic. When it arrives its noted there is zero oil in the car. Not just low but zero. Car sits there for a week as they attempt to diagnose it. Machine reads bad cam sensor so they replace it but the car still won't start (no spark, no fuel) however will turn over so believe the engine is still good. However their machine won't read out all the codes so we have it towed to Nissan (its a 2009 370Z). After a couple days of diagnostics, they determine engine is good but needs 2 cam sensors, a new timing chain/belt, all the seals, etc.... plus tires. Total cost $3700. So I have the choice of taking it back to my mechanic where he suggest we replace the entire engine with a low mileage used one (can find for about $2500) or have Nissan fix the existing one. I opt for #2 because the repairs are Nissan original parts, its warrantied and if my mechanic couldn't read the codes before, what makes me believe he can when the engine goes it??

so about 10 days later I get the car back (this was Friday almost 2 weeks ago). Car is running fine. My wife and daughter go up to Epcot in Orlando yesterday, return to the car which starts, goes to the end of the parking lot and the "Check engine" light comes on and the car makes "a screech" and dies (sound familiar?). So now I have a car 130 miles from my home, broke down in the parking lot of Disney. So we again have it towed (3 tow in a month) to the Orlando Nissan. I updated them on the repair (of course I called the local Nissan who did the repairs a few weeks ago--IF its the same problem or parts failure then its covered. If not, I'm screwed apparently). So waiting to hear from Orlando but trying to figure out my best course. I can replace the car with a newer lower mileage one for 24K and my wife's car running has a trade value of 11-12K. However if its not running, I suspect I don't get crap. Fortunately the 24K car is at the local dealership, the one I just paid 3 plus grand for a 2 week repair. So if I'm screwed on the second repair and its NOT covered then do I have the car towed the 130 miles so my buddy can replace the engine while I eat the $3,700 repair bill...or do I replace the car and demand a portion of that $3,700 be credited.... or do I get a lawyer to work it out? Keep in mind my wife's car is otherwise in great shape but does have over 100K miles.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: car trouble!

That sucks. Sorry you and your family are having to go through all that.

My first thought is this is the 2nd serious issue with a car that's 7-8 years old and has over 100K...I'm probably not putting more money into it. I did that with an older car once (admittedly with much higher miles) and it didn't work out, so I'd be nervous about doing that.

If you've done business with that dealership, I'd hope they'd want to make it right. I'd probably go to them and ask them to do that. If they won't agree up front to do that, then from a legal perspective, you'd need proof that the dealer didn't do the work properly the first time and/or misdiagnosed the problem. Then you're taking that and trying to negotiate something with the dealership or their insurance company. $3,700 is real money, but doing all that's a pain in the neck, too, and if you hire an attorney, there's that cost. So you have to decide if it's worth it to you.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 08-18-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

My daughter just purchased a brand new car thru them, so we have done business. Funny thing is that my father's company (he sold it a few years back) installed the auto auction they have at that dealership. However, my dealings with them have not always been pleasant.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Cam Shaft positioning sensors--- $680 bucks. Guess that isn't part of the Cam Shaft Spockets (were replaced) or any of the chains or belts. That or I'm getting the shaft.

And paying for it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Cam Shaft positioning sensors--- $680 bucks. Guess that isn't part of the Cam Shaft Spockets (were replaced) or any of the chains or belts. That or I'm getting the shaft.

I had (still have, actually) a 1992 Volvo with nearly 300,000 miles on it. For many years, I kept saying, "OK, if this is the big repair, that's it."

That seemed to be the key. I don't think I had a repair over about $300 for years upon years with that thing.

I had to face the same issue of putting real money, or not, into my daughter's 1997 Jeep, with 180,000 miles on it about three years ago. Needed a transmission. Trusted my mechanic, and the transmission shop. Also the Jeep not once had ever, ever, stranded anyone (we're the 2nd owner). While it has had a couple of things go wrong with it here or there, none of them were the type that kept the car from operating safely.

So we put in the new transmission (or used, or rebuilt, or something--I just do what they say. I don't know the difference). Was reasonable cost, a little over $2k, and we thought with the history of the car, it was probably a good investment.

Knocking on wood, it now is 3 years older, has over 200,000 miles on it, and the only thing since then has been tires, oil changes, and last week I bought a new battery. It has been handed down from my middle daughter to my youngest daughter, who is perfectly fine with driving it. Fortunately, she drives it maybe 100 miles a week, if that, so I am hopeful it will last for my son next year, too.

Had it been the Volvo--it would've been toast. Although the Volvo was reliable, it had a number of repairs where it stranded us. I know that sounds stupid, but I HATE that feeling worse than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    My first thought is this is the 2nd serious issue with a car that's 7-8 years old and has over 100K...I'm probably not putting more money into it. I did that with an older car once (admittedly with much higher miles) and it didn't work out, so I'd be nervous about doing that.

^ I'm driving an 05 Camry with 233K on it. It's butt-ugly (has a dent in the right rear from a hit and run driver) and the check engine light won't go off. So I'm not putting any more $ in it--to paraphrase Ivan Drago, if it dies, it dies. But the thing just. won't. die. Which is a good thing, I guess, except I'm still driving this ugly old car....
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

That dang Camry may have reached its half-life. Some of them just won't die.

Well, she loves the car but would be willing to trade it in for a new model. Funny thing is I say the same about her!!!

Just got off the phone with the local Nissan service manager. The sensor was NOT replace but was checked and functional. He stated though that if the sprockets went bad again the code would be exactly the same as a cam shaft positioning sensor...and I believe him. When the car was at my mechanic, the first guy who couldn't figure it out, all they were getting was a bad cam shaft sensor but couldn't get it running despite replacing or b bypassing them. The local Nissan deal says to be sure the make sure the sensors are bad and the sprockets good.

^ I'm driving an 05 Camry with 233K on it. It's butt-ugly (has a dent in the right rear from a hit and run driver) and the check engine light won't go off. So I'm not putting any more $ in it--to paraphrase Ivan Drago, if it dies, it dies. But the thing just. won't. die. Which is a good thing, I guess, except I'm still driving this ugly old car....
    There is a wife joke in here too but I'm staying away from that simply because Darrell will tattle on me in March to Shawn.

car trouble!

I hate to say anything about my car because as soon as I brag on it it's going to blow up. 97' Benz E320 with 220k miles. I just put a set of used tires on it because I can't see spending $400-500 installing new tires on a car that new tires may out live. I've put way more into my wife's Passat over the last few months. I just went through the engine light deal, and a coolant leak in the last 6 weeks on her car which just hit 100k setting me back close to $500. Oh yeah it doesn't really count, but some of you may remember my battery woes while on vacation back in May. Fortunately after 24 hours of worry and hassle I got the battery replaced for free on the warranty. By the way thanks again for the help back in May, KSR brethren saved the day.

Doc, you might want to consider option C.....Artificial reef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 08-18-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

car trouble!

There is a wife joke in here too but I'm staying away from that simply because Darrell will tattle on me in March to Shawn.
    Well, yeah, but where's the fun in that? Besides, I'll just make it up anyway...

My daughter just purchased a brand new car thru them, so we have done business. Funny thing is that my father's company (he sold it a few years back) installed the auto auction they have at that dealership. However, my dealings with them have not always been pleasant.
    I have to ask since I'm in the business, but you said your dad's company installed an auction? Just curious what that meant.

Re the car I'd definitely try to negotiate w that dealer w it as a trade in and see what they'll do. You have some leverage w them or should.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Doc, I'm sorry your first wife had all of those problems. It's your husband role to rid her of the burden in the style she covets. Having said that, I'm not impressed with Nissan. I have some inside experience with Nissan and will tell you that you may find a good dealer here and there, but, I have concluded the overall support from Nissan Corporate to the dealers is poor. Most couldn't diagnose a bloody nose. I would be willing to bet a significant sum that someone at Nissan knows of this problem and has not shared what they know with the dealers. I would also check some of the forums on line to see what others know of this problem There are plenty of Nissan owners news groups that share. I do know sensors on these cars can be either a problem or a frequent mis-diagnosis.

If it were me, I would have the dealer in your city get the car towed to his location. I would evaluate every late model non-Nissan product on the lot and purchase one your wife likes for $3600 less than a negotiated price signing a release not to sue his a$$. I would turn around and trade the car in on one you really like, Non-Nissan of course. I would suggest a Honda/Acura or Subaru dealer. Buy the most sporty/luxury model in inventory for the lovely woman who has chosen thus far not to leave you. And finally, go to your bank, withdraw a $100 bill which represents your loss and tape it to your dashboard as a reminder of the Nissan experience.

Doc,I am concerned about you. Your post makes you appear as the victim. Your wife is the one who walked the quarter mile home. She, along with your daughter, suffered in the hot Orlando sun in the middle of August, not knowing where to turn or what to do. Meanwhile all you did was make a few calls from your air conditioned office and yak at a mechanic and service advisor. Don't act like you are the victim here. You are probably responsible for not talking her out of the 370Z in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I have to ask since I'm in the business, but you said your dad's company installed an auction? Just curious what that meant.

Re the car I'd definitely try to negotiate w that dealer w it as a trade in and see what they'll do. You have some leverage w them or should.
    My father owned a company called ASI. They produced the software that tracks the cars as they go thru the car auctions. He sold it a few years ago

My brother-in-law built and maintained engines for a living (Kroger Automotive in Louisville). Even Riverboat and tug engines.

Where applicable, he replaces the timing chain/belt on all his vehicles at 100,000 mi. regardless.

That, sensible driving, and regular fluid changes will get you maximum vehicle engine life.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

So shop 2 changed the sensor and........ no go. Have to rip engine down to check what shop 1 did. Fortunately it's at no additional charge

My father owned a company called ASI. They produced the software that tracks the cars as they go thru the car auctions. He sold it a few years ago
    Small world. I sold auction software for years. We had some car guys, not a lot but some.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Small world. I sold auction software for years. We had some car guys, not a lot but some.
    Here is a link to when my father sold out

http://www.autoremarketing.com/whole...n-software-inc

Check engine lights can be caused by a ton of things. I bought an OBD II reader/scanner for less than $35 a couple weeks ago. It has already paid for itself. Some of the errors are one time errors, but will cause the CEL to stay on until it is cleared.

I have found the best resource for auto repairs is Google. Any problem your vehicle has will likely have been experienced by thousands before and you can quickly find out how to economically do a lot of repairs that some have spent thousands trying to fix. I had an '07 Dodge Charger, it had an error where the traction control light would come on when making a left turn. I checked Google and the recommended fix by Chrysler was to replace the electronics inside the steering wheel, a fix some paid as much as $1300 for, only to have the problem reoccur. I found that the fix for the problem was to use a torx screwdriver and loosen the plastic cover on the underside of the steering column, then push up on the right side and retighten. Bought the torx driver for under $5, it fixed the problem. Another problem Imhad that caused a CEL was a solenoid on the intake. Dealerships were charging $1500 to replace the entire intake. I bought the solenoid off eBay for $150, worked like a charm.

I can second what Keith said.

I had a car that constantly had issues starting in the cold, after multiple new batteries and work at the dealer and no fix.

I googled and found a strip club that had a courtesy limo, just started going there instead. Problem solved.

So now the deal is shop 2 says they have to tear down the engine again to determime the problem. Cost is about a grand. IF the problem is due to a part put in by shop one it's covered, if not it's my responsibility. Shop 2 called shop 1 because they believe it's related but not willing to risk their money. Shop one said go ahead, I'll pay if not. Shop 2 knows better! Shop 1 said they would do it but the cars in orlando. My sense is something else broke initially the was not fond on the first repair by shop 1. Their reply was the car was fixed as evidence that you drove it out of the shop. If some part beside the 2 specific parts they replaces are broke then it's not covered. Most of the cost is to tear it down and put it back together. I've filed complaint with Nissan national. Told both to quote me a trade in value on the car , and rudely suggested shop 1 add 3500 that I already paid. Shop 2 gave me 10.5k on a car that isn't running which shocked the he'll out of me. Shop on gave me a phone call. Odds are I'll dispute the charge on my credit card, get a lawyer, trade in the car with the Orlando dealer and tell the Stuart dealer to talk to my lawyer
    Last edited by Doc; 08-24-2016 at 04:37 AM.

Not only is it wrong, it just isn't smart business. Social media makes situations like this potentially much more damaging than just spending the money to make it right.

If they were smart they would have the car towed to their shop and determine what broke at no cost. They suggested I do that (have it towed at my expense). Now I'm considering another.option.... have it towed to my regular mechanic who will tear the engine down, find the problem, drop a new motor like he originally suggested and when he, as an expert, states its due to a poor or inadequate initial diagnosis, I have a case

I have a few days to consider my next move as we are current vacating in Costa Rica trying to unwind. This not withstanding

I have a few days to consider my next move as we are current vacating in Costa Rica trying to unwind. This not withstanding
    How is the skiing this time of year?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    How is the skiing this time of year?
    Sucks but everything else is great

Sucks but everything else is great
    Somehow, you lost all sympathy from me about your car trouble when I read about your unwinding!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Somehow, you lost all sympathy from me about your car trouble when I read about your unwinding!
    It's been nagging at me and put a bit of a damper on the trip. Admit it's only a bit though