Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancer sucks...claims another victim

Cancer sucks...claims another victim

I...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 09-19-2016 at 10:08 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Re: Cancer sucks...claims another victim

I've seen reports like your sister's before. I misread how old the baby was at birth. There is nothing normal about premies, but what your sister describes is pretty much par for the course. The patent ductus arteriosus is frequent in premies. It means the baby has not moved from a prenatal to neonate circulation system. In prenatal circulatory system the blood bypasses the lungs. At birth or shortly after the flap that forces the blood circulation away from the lungs flips allowing the blood to flow normally. Today it is treated first with drugs and if after 8-10 days the flow hasn't changed they may perform surgery to snip the flap. When my son was born surgery was the only option. In the NICU world it is a very common procedure, but for any family it is nerve wracking.

Life in the NICU will go on like this for 2 or 3 more weeks. But suddenly it will change. The baby will grow and normal development will take place and you can feel good about life. Stay positive. Just know that your sister and niece are on a real roller coaster ride. There will be days the news is not all good, but it doesn't necessarily mean you won't have a successful outcome.
    Real Fan since 1958

Thank you, Mick!

Looks like I'll be heading out west next week to attend my nieces service as well as meeting my little great niece Reagan Grace.

I hope this isn't considered tasteless but I thought I'd share this with you guys. This is what your prayers are working on...

Last edited by blueboss; 09-28-2016 at 04:39 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Godspeed, blueboss, and she's precious. Thank you for sharing. Will be an added reminder to keep that dear heart in out prayers.

Bombino

Wow, for the current state she looks remarkably healthy (as can be that much preemie). Prayers that she continues in her progression towards her new life.

That was actually taken a little over a week ago when the eye patches were removed and she got her first look at the world.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Looks like I'll be heading out west next week to attend my nieces service as well as meeting my little great niece Reagan Grace.

I hope this isn't considered tasteless but I thought I'd share this with you guys. This is what your prayers are working on...

Oh she has that beautiful billie lights glow!! It's not tasteless. Tasteless was a similar picture. Of my son in the NICU on the day of the UK/uL game in 84. The nurses stitched together some shorts that were half blue and half red!
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 09-29-2016 at 09:56 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Godspeed....

Got to meet my great niece yesterday. Tiny does not express how small she is. After seeing her in her little incubator there is no doubt in my mind that she is truly a miracle and she is here only by the hand of God.

They (Dr's) refer to her as a 24 weeker, which refers to how long she was in the womb. She is now four weeks old putting her at 28 weeks. At 35 weeks her odds of survival greatly increase, so for the next six weeks every day is a victory and one day closer to the 35 week goal.

One of the major hurdles has been a hole in her heart which has improved from "large" to now "small" that has been managed thus far with lasik sp. type drugs rather than surgery. The other immediate obstacle is lung development which over the past weekend the staff felt was good enough to try and ween her from the invasive type respirator tubes in her lungs to a less invasive type respirator... it failed, but they feel that within another week she should have improved enough to try again.

The 800 lb elephant in the room of whether or not she has/will be effected by the severity of the cancer her mother had before she passed away, or the trial chemo treatment administered to her mother prior to delivery is still uncertain. Reagan is a bit of a trail blazer and is a trial study in progress.

I went to see meet her the day after I attended her mother's funeral service. The range of emotions was/is unexplainable to go from complete sadness over the loss and speed of how quickly my niece was taken, to the sheer joy of seeing the little miracle in my great niece.... then back to concern over her immediate future. I can't imagine how my niece's husband must feel. It is my hope that he can stay strong through all he has and continues to endure.

I can't thank everyone enough for their continued kind thoughts, wishes, and prayers....

Last edited by blueboss; 10-06-2016 at 12:25 AM.

Boss, I'm late to the conversation here but wanted to add my prayers for your great niece and your family and God bless. Take comfort in the knowledge that in heaven your niece is perfect again.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Continued prayers, Blueboss. Godspeed.

Fab Five

Glad you made the trip to the NICU. So many friends and family members don't. I think about the young one's journey every day. Miracles happen in the NICU. Know that we are praying for all of you. I hope she has a lifetime of support.
    Real Fan since 1958

Well, Reagan is up to 3.7 lbs, is on nasal O2 versus a respirator, and her father fed her her first bottle this morning.

The Reaganator is a tough little spud... fighting the whole way...God is good!!!

Last edited by blueboss; 11-21-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Well, Reagan is up to 3.7 lbs, is on nasal O2 versus a respirator, and her father fed her her first bottle this morning.

The Reaganator is a tough little spud... fighting the whole way...God is good!!!

That is great, i will still keep you in my prayers. Yes God is good.

Gotta believe you all had a hand in this with your prayers.... thanks to all, and keep'm coming. That young lady and her father still have a tough road ahead.

The Reaganator is up to a whopping 5 Lbs!!! Word on the street is she may be released from the hospital in about a week.

So far she appears to have no areas that of concern that would be considered chronic. Her lung development has been described as miraculous by her medical team. She is currently down to .1 liters on her respirator and is able to go longer and longer without needing 02.

Ironically they are going to go ahead and treat her ROP (retinopathy) with chemo injections verses laser surgery. The ROP is a retinal issue caused by the effects of being in an oxygenated atmosphere for an extended period of time in the incubator. The irony is that her mother was unable to be treated with chemo because the DR's felt Reagan would not have been able to tolerate it while in the womb. A decision was made to treat her mother with an experimental chemo treatment in an attempt to keep her alive long enough to deliver Reagan. The treatment is actually what caused her mother to go into labor which is why Reagan was born prematurely at 25 weeks. Had they not administered the treatment they both would not have made it.

There was concern several weeks ago when they discovered spots on her liver. Yesterday another abdominal ultra sound was done and the spots were gone.

During her struggle to make it there was never any swelling or bleeding on her brain so her brain activity is normal and there is no damage.

Guys, you cannot make this stuff up!! Reagan is truly a miracle and she has had the hand of God firmly on her.... you all have a hand in this as well with all your prayers.

Thank you!

Keep' m coming her and her father still have some mountains to climb.

Bombino

The Reaganator is up to a whopping 5 Lbs!!! Word on the street is she may be released from the hospital in about a week.

So far she appears to have no areas that of concern that would be considered chronic. Her lung development has been described as miraculous by her medical team. She is currently down to .1 liters on her respirator and is able to go longer and longer without needing 02.

Ironically they are going to go ahead and treat her ROP (retinopathy) with chemo injections verses laser surgery. The ROP is a retinal issue caused by the effects of being in an oxygenated atmosphere for an extended period of time in the incubator. The irony is that her mother was unable to be treated with chemo because the DR's felt Reagan would not have been able to tolerate it while in the womb. A decision was made to treat her mother with an experimental chemo treatment in an attempt to keep her alive long enough to deliver Reagan. The treatment is actually what caused her mother to go into labor which is why Reagan was born prematurely at 25 weeks. Had they not administered the treatment they both would not have made it.

There was concern several weeks ago when they discovered spots on her liver. Yesterday another abdominal ultra sound was done and the spots were gone.

During her struggle to make it there was never any swelling or bleeding on her brain so her brain activity is normal and there is no damage.

Guys, you cannot make this stuff up!! Reagan is truly a miracle and she has had the hand of God firmly on her.... you all have a hand in this as well with all your prayers.

Thank you!

Keep' m coming her and her father still have some mountains to climb.

That is such incredible amazing news in such a hard time. Thank God and thank modern medical science!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Wow i don't venture over here often but just read this thread and my prayers are with all mentioned.
    Go Cats!

Fab Five

Boss, these NICU babies truly are miracles! I just love hearing these stories. She will grow and develop on her own timeline which could be much different from other babies. Always keep that in mind as folks inevitably make age and development comparisons. Such is not the case. Just know that about the time they reach puberty they are fully developed and healthy.

Other than a vicious scar on my son's back and some pin point scars on his heels from heel sticks in the hospital he is a healthy adult today. Those days will be coming for your niece. There will be some set backs along the way but, hopefully her dad is up to the challenges. It won't be easy. But prayers continue for them and all the little ones in NICU. Good Luck!

And for the record when we go to the beach, people inevitably stare at or comment on my son's scar. He's learned to tell the little kids that it is from a shark bite and to be careful in the water.
    Real Fan since 1958

Incidentally, if my math is correct, had Reagan gone full term she would have been born last week.

Let's see...

Cancer tally in the boss family over the last six months.

Niece in September
    Wife's brother in November
    Sister's husband February

On a brighter note! Look who's all grown up.

She. Is. Precious.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    She. Is. Precious.
    Yes, and considering all she's been through in her young life. She really should be about 8-10 weeks old, but since she was born at 24 weeks she's already an old timer.... she's a long way from 1.7 lbs.

My family owe's a lot to all of you in this community for all your prayers.

She is looking great, hope you keep us updated on this precious baby. God bless you Blueboss and your family.

Fab Five

What a sweetie! I bet the NICU nurses are loving her to pieces!
    Real Fan since 1958

Guess who had her first birthday!?! The Reganator tearing into her birthday cake.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

Just so happens I lost one of my very good friends to cancer just a couple hours ago. I despise cancer. I lost Ron to leukemia, a best friend to another form of leukemia, my father in law to prostate cancer, and now this friend. I don't even know where to begin to deal with this grief. I will be praying for all of you and also praying for the cure that wasn't there for the ones I have lost and hoping that no one else has to go thru this.
    I'm keeping Receipts!!

Fab Five

Guess who had her first birthday!?! The Reganator tearing into her birthday cake.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

What a bright spot in an otherwise sad thread. This reminds us all that God produces miracles. It is why hope exixts.
    Real Fan since 1958