Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cancer sucks...claims another victim

My cousin, Sandy Kineman, passed away this afternoon at the too early age of 60 after her bout with cancer.

Sandy and my Mom shared a very special bond. Sandy, being my mom's sister's daughter, was always very close with our family. When we all lived in Paducah, of course, we spent many hours with Sandy and her best friend, Denise, as she patiently entertained her annoying younger cousins, my brother and I. We shared a love for the Kentucky Wildcats, though, and the St. Louis Cardinals. Her favorite player--and mine--was Lou Brock growing up. We each had our "Icee cups" with Lou Brock being our favorite, washed so much that Lou turned white.

When we moved away from Kentucky, Sandy and my mom (her "Aunt Janie") wrote to each other. Once a week or so they would write a letter. Mom had her favorite Sheaffer fountain pen with the disposable cartridges, in washable blue, and would sit down at the kitchen table and write Sandy letters. Sandy would write back, and this continued for years.

When Sandy grew up and married, they came to visit us when they had summer vacations. We had great times doing virtually nothing. Watched baseball, went to the abysmal Monroe, La. zoo, and just hung out and laughed at the house. When my aunt, Sandy's Mom died, she became even closer to "Aunt Janie," and my mom had plenty of love to give to all of us.

As my other cousin's daughter said, Sandy is with her mom, grandmom, and her beloved Aunt Janie now. It will be all too soon before we all join each other. My love to them all, Sandy.

God bless the family, Mike, her husband, and her sons, Kyle and Chad. And her Dad, "Uncle Jr.," has to bury his daughter. Doesn't matter the age, that's a terrible thing.

Bombino
    Sorry to hear this. You have my prayers. Cancer really sucks balls.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Rupp's Runt

Re: Cancer sucks...claims another victim

So sorry to hear this, Darrell. Condolences to the family, and may she be greeted into Heaven by our Heavenly Father with open arms.
    MOLON LABE!

So young. A scourge worse because we dint know all the reasons for it.

Albeit much too short, it sure sounds like a life worth celebrating. I personally believe all those good times you shared still exist.

It's hard for those who remain behind though. My sincere condolences for your loss Darrell.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Yes it does! I lost a high school classmate to Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma yesterday. 49 years old.....I'm just sick over it too.

Man...I'm sorry for your loss, Cat (D). That's awful.

Well, why we're at. I have a niece in California who is very close in age to my daughter, and with being so close in age they were more like sisters.

My niece recently got married (couple of years ago) and they have been trying to have a child with no success.

Not long ago to everyone's surprise and joy announced she is pregnant. Not long after that she started not feeling well and went in for tests, she was diagnosed with cancer.

She had a melanoma removed from her arm a few months back and it was thought that got it all. As it turns out the melanoma had metastasized and is covering her liver. Her Dr gave her weeks-months to survive but with the pregnancy they sent her to Stanford University for further testing. Within a week her cancer has spread to her lungs.

The baby needs 3-4 weeks of maturation before they can reasonably do a delivery. The problem is if they don't start treatment my niece may not make it that long, if they do start treatment it may have adverse effects on the baby.

Yesterday tests revealed that the cancer has now metastasized on the placenta, and today they found the same on her spleen and in her bones.

The hard decision was made this morning to start treating my niece in hopes that they keep her alive for 3-4 weeks so the baby can be taken, the bad news is the baby may not survive the treatment. They decided that if they don't do something there is a greater chance to loose both. Some great set of circumstances.

Oh yeah, did I mention my other sisters husband was informed Monday they have come to the end of any possible treatment for his cancer and has less than 6 months. He is the brother-in-law with the farm in Shelby Co Ky who always had the bird shoots I mention annually. Tomorrow will be his last opening day shoot. He is too weak to shoot but he is "by God going out to the farm"

Great last couple of weeks in the boss family.

I don't usually post this type of deeply personal stuff, but I'll take all I can get from my blue brethren, and sisteren.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Oh my, Blueboss. May God bless you and your entire family. Prayers for all.

My condolences and sympathies to all in this thread who've lost friends and loved ones.

Horrifying, blueboss; so sorry. I have no words.

May God comfort you in the way that only He can and that is in the Promise of a Great Homecoming for all of His children.
    May the separation you feel be tempered by that fact.
    My heart goes out to you and yours...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    May God comfort you in the way that only He can and that is in the Promise of a Great Homecoming for all of His children.
    May the separation you feel be tempered by that fact.
    My heart goes out to you and yours...
    Pappy speaks for me also.

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.
    Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Thanks guys for all your kind thoughts and prayers.

My brother-in-law showed up at the farm today. It was a bitter sweet type deal. Everyone was glad to see him make it, but everyone also knows thus will be his last shoot. He knows it too.

This was the first time he turned down my birds. I've always given him my opening days harvest.

Sad......

They got my nieces pain under control, due to the pressure on her vocal chords from a tumor on her lungs she is unable to speak. Good news is they were able to start treatment this evening in the hopes they can extend her enough time to deliver Regan Grace.

Tomorrow is another day....hopefully.

Last edited by blueboss; 09-03-2016 at 11:38 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

A miracle took place this morning at 7:30 am, a decision was made to induce labor due to my nieces rapidly deteriorating health.

She gave birth to a 1.7 lb 13" baby girl. The baby is currently in NICU doing as well as could be expected.

It was said my nieces cancer pain subsided while she gave birth.

Thanks for all the prayers...keep'm coming.

Prayers up.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    A miracle took place this morning at 7:30 am, a decision was made to induce labor due to my nieces rapidly deteriorating health.

She gave birth to a 1.7 lb 13" baby girl. The baby is currently in NICU doing as well as could be expected.

It was said my nieces cancer pain subsided while she gave birth.

Thanks for all the prayers...keep'm coming.

Boss, I am overwhelmed by the situation you describe. Prayers for your entire family. I hope there is a support group in California for your niece and husband. The NICU experience for a baby that size can be very long and stressful. There are many ups and downs in the life of a neonate. Compound that with the cancer and they are going to need tremendous support. Best wishes.

To say it's been a very difficult time for my family would be a huge understatement. Having said that I cannot imagine what my sister must be going through to watch helplessly of what her daughter and now new grandchild are having to endure.

She has her masters in nursing and has worked in some pretty difficult areas as an RN. I'm guessing when she worked in an oncology ICU department she had no idea it would help prepare her for what was ahead.

My nieces husband is a big rugged type guy and he has been reduced to an onlooker of the most unimaginable helpless feeling watching as his wife has deteriorated so quickly. Then to look through a glass daily at his tiny little new born daughter fight for every breath.

They all have each other and I guess along with their faith, the top notch oncology and NICU of Stanford University they are enduring.

Here at home in Ky the rest of us are dealing with my brother-in-laws rapid decline. He was out on the farm for what is going to be the last hunt that he provided friends and family the first weekend in September for the last 40 years. As uncomfortable as it was for him to be there he said he would rather be there than any where in the world.

Very sad as everyone on the farm including him knew it would be his final hunt, even through that he had on that big ole gentle man farmer smile.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers, it has brought me some sort of comfort laying all of this out there to KSR and the fine people that make up this site.

Last edited by blueboss; 09-07-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Bombino

To say it's been a very difficult time for my family would be a huge understatement. Having said that I cannot imagine what my sister must be going through to watch helplessly of what her daughter and now new grandchild are having to endure.

She has her masters in nursing and has worked in some pretty difficult areas as an RN. I'm guessing when she worked in an oncology ICU department she had no idea it would help prepare her for what was ahead.

My nieces husband is a big rugged type guy and he has been reduced to an onlooker of the most unimaginable helpless feeling watching as his wife has deteriorated so quickly. Then to look through a glass daily at his tiny little new born daughter fight for every breath.

They all have each other and I guess along with their faith, the top notch oncology and NICU of Stanford University they are enduring.

Here at home in Ky the rest of us are dealing with my brother-in-laws rapid decline. He was out on the farm for what is going to be the last hunt that he provided friends and family the first weekend in September for the last 40 years. As uncomfortable as it was for him to be there he said he would rather be there than any where in the world.

Very sad as everyone on the farm including him knew it would be his final hunt, even through that he had on that big ole gentle man farmer smile.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers, it has brought me some sort of comfort laying all of this out there to KSR and the fine people that make up this site.

That is way too much stress for one family to tolerate. Good luck to you and your family. You have my prayers!

My niece just lost her battle. Her little daughter that she gave birth to over 8 weeks premature (miracle ) is still holding her own...

The cancer was detected less than 3 weeks ago... Unbelievable how quickly she was taken by this terrible disease.

Thank you KSR for all your thoughts and prayers.

Bombino

My niece just lost her battle. Her little daughter that she gave birth to over 8 weeks premature (miracle ) is still holding her own...

The cancer was detected less than 3 weeks ago... Unbelievable how quickly she was taken by this terrible disease.

I'm sorry to hear that. Prayers and condolences for your family. Cancer is an evil beast.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

God bless you, your sister's husband, her little girl, the rest of the family and friends. We were praying for you all in church yesterday and my wife asked if there had been an update, and I told her I thought it was dire based on your comments.

You all will continue to be in our thoughts, and in our prayers.

Blueboss, even though we have never meet this brought me to tears. God bless your family. Prayers are sent your way.

Fab Five

Heartbreaking, absolutely heartbreaking news. There are no words. Just know we are thinking of you and praying that you all have the strength to face the challenges each day brings. I wish the best for your great niece. Miracles happen every day in the NICU and here's hoping there is one there for your family. Baby girls seem to handle the stress of premature birth better than boys and are generally more fully developed, at least in the case of the lungs. Your niece's husband will have his hands full as raising a premie into a healthy child takes a lot of hands on care. I hope there are family and friends in California who can assist. It's a 24/7 job. He will need physical and emotional support.

...again I would like to thank everyone for their prayers and thoughtfulness.

Baby Reagan is doing well, or as well as can be expected. Obviously with her being over 2 months premature there are hurdles. Her lung development and maintenance seems to be the biggest concern. She is however doing surprisingly well.

Her eye patches were removed late last week and she got her first blurry look at her new environment.

I was told tonight that her father got to actually help with a diaper changing and sponge bath. I also saw a photo of her grasping my sisters finger... Which is also positive.

Thank you all so much and keep them coming. It looks like I will be traveling out west very soon to attend the one of the services planned for my niece.

Bombino

...again I would like to thank everyone for their prayers and thoughtfulness.

Baby Reagan is doing well, or as well as can be expected. Obviously with her being over 2 months premature there are hurdles. Her lung development and maintenance seems to be the biggest concern. She is however doing surprisingly well.

Her eye patches were removed late last week and she got her first blurry look at her new environment.

I was told tonight that her father got to actually help with a diaper changing and sponge bath. I also saw a photo of her grasping my sisters finger... Which is also positive.

Thank you all so much and keep them coming. It looks like I will be traveling out west very soon to attend the one of the services planned for my niece.

A long road ahead but great news so far! Thanks for the update boss.

Modern medicine has really allowed some early birth miracles. I sure hope this miracle continues. Still shocked by your story.

If there is an action message, and there is for me, it is to find the right place to donate to cancer research.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Modern medicine has really allowed some early birth miracles. I sure hope this miracle continues. Still shocked by your story.

If there is an action message, and there is for me, it is to find the right place to donate to cancer research.
    Same, in both regards.

I have two healthy 24-year old twins, born 7 weeks early. But every week, every day, and even every hour early is critical to their development, and there's a big difference between 7 weeks early and over two months early. Praying for baby Reagan, and wish everyone would heed bigsky's action message comment as well.

Fab Five

blueboss, your family will learn that angels on this earth live in the neo-natal intensive care units across this country. They perform work in the very most stressful environment that exists anywhere I know. The lungs in a premie are like a balloon that you inflate for the first time. Every breath for them is like inflating a new balloon. It takes about 4 times the effort to expand the lungs as it would for a full term baby. That's why you see them on assisted breathing. It is to keep them from tiring and exhausting the body, allowing it to continue physical development. Breathing machines usually used, not because they cant' breathe, it is just they can't support the physical effort. Surfactant is a lubricant in the lungs that makes breathing much easier. But it generally is not present until about 32 to 34 weeks. About 25 to 30 years ago they began administering artificial surfactant to premies and it really will give them a breathing boost. God bless and here's hoping the stay in NICU is short.
    Real Fan since 1958

Below is a report from my sister the RN/Masters. Bottom line is she is doing well... I think.

The other thing she mentioned is the immediate goal is to nurse Reagan to week 30 which is now four weeks away.

Report on Reagan this morning after rounds :CRP .9😄stopping abx, ruling out infection🙌repeat echo today to see if there is a suggestion that PDA closing, brain bleed small and is not in a major ventricle so we monitor. .decreasing feeds from 6cc to 4cc so we can increase TPN a titch...lytes look good this morning. .want to keep them that way. CXR shows still moist, but improved from yesterday. .she is still peeing vigorously. .they also decreased oscillator settings back down to 13..she continues to have over achiever episodes😜👍💓I feel good about her today. ..