Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Jumping without a parachute

Jumping without a parachute

Uhh, no thanks.

Rupp's Runt

Re: Jumping without a parachute

I used to do it WITH A PARACHUTE, and it was still risky. Have to rely on both the jumpmaster and the parachute rigger being conscientious and wanting their troopers to live to see another day.
    We lost soldiers on night jumps and by being impaled on tree branches. Not to mention all of the broken bones, injured backs and hips, and concussions too, among the multitude of other injuries that happened. But Airborne operations are very much needed and very much necessary in certain situations.
    Now......jumping WITHOUT A PARACHUTE? That's asking ..........no, that's BEGGING TO DIE! JMHO.
    MOLON LABE!

Would scare me to death with or without a parachute. I think I'd be dead before I exited the plane.

I too have jumped out of an airplane but with a 'chute. Was a Xmas gift to my girlfriend who is now my first wife.

That guy is NUTS, and not just nuts but ####### nuts. Way too easy to get lost and end up not over the net.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Rupp's Runt

One other slight difference in motivations here too.........that guy was doing it for his own reasons, I did it for the pay incentive and because chicks dig it. And my Dad did it during WWII. Two different reasons for two different individuals.
    Who is more crazy?
    Last edited by suncat05; 08-02-2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added thought
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

The planning and the logistics for this guy's jump had to be well thought out and precise. The weather and other environmental conditions had to be exactly right too. And the guy has to absolutely have a huge pair of brass ones. Period. Either that, or he just has a death wish. Jumping from a moving plane from that altitude into a net that far below........that is either steely resolve or a major league case of "IDGAF".
    MOLON LABE!

Suncat, I read a story on it. THey have been working on the project for 2 years, looked all over the world for the site they wanted, though in the end I think they picked a US site b/c of the TV coverage etc.

This guy is apparently one of the very best in the world, trains special forces on jumping techniques, consults w/ Hollywood guys, etc.

He told them no when first approached, but came around to the idea and by golly if he didn't pull it off.

Apparently on their first test of the net they threw in a 200lb dummy who went straight through the net. It took a lot to pull this off, and while it's crazy, I respect him for the achievement. Jumping from 25,000 feet and landing on the equivalent of a postage stamp and walking away, that's quite a feat. The guy is definitely good.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

I have a lot of nerve, but not even in the same zip code as this guy. Glad he made it safely. That is what counts. Me, myself, I haven't jumped out of a plane since 1987, and have no desire to ever again. I guess I'm just becoming more and more cautious as I grow older.
    "He who dares wins!" I still believe this. But as I have grown older and learned to value what I have now (my family) I have also learned that living on the edge isn't what it once was for me.
    MOLON LABE!

Suncat, your stories of jumping remind me of a slightly inappropriate joke we've probably all heard a million times.

The punch line is,

"Did you jump?"

"A little, at first."

Glad you made it safely through your jumps, my friend, and share your thoughts with us today. You stay safe in your daily duties, too, sir.

Rupp's Runt

Thank you, Darrell.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Would scare me to death with or without a parachute. I think I'd be dead before I exited the plane.
    I'm with you. It makes me nervous watching videos of this guy doing the stunt. I am no fan of heights at all!

Rupp's Runt

It's not the jumping/falling that gets you........it's the sudden stop!
    MOLON LABE!