Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: 'Stranger Things' On Netflix - AMAZING!

Bombino

'Stranger Things' On Netflix - AMAZING!

I broke this out of the Netflix thread because this has to be one of the BEST things I have seen on Netflix EVER! I just finished the entire season and wow, just wow! It is a sci-fi/supernatural thriller that is incredibly incredibly well done in the genre of the 80s masterpieces. Think of a dark and suspenseful blend of X-Files, Stephen Kings IT, Stephen Spielberg's ET, Super 8 and throw in a bit of The Goonies.

Here is the IMDB Synopsis of "Stranger Things", they did a MUCH better job at describing the show than me:
    In a small town where everyone knows everyone, a peculiar incident starts a chain of events that leads to the disappearance of a child - which begins to tear at the fabric of an otherwise peaceful community. Dark government agencies and seemingly malevolent supernatural forces converge on the town, while a few locals begin to understand that there's more going on than meets the eye.
    The show is set in the 80s and it uses the nostaliga you feel as a tool in the show, as well as an homage to the classic sci-fi thrillers. It does it in a VERY satisfying way, without coming across as cheesy or forced, from the kids playing Dungeons and Dragons, to references of IT and The Thing, to the various technologies (like HAM radio) it makes the time period key in the story. As someone said: "It is a way of doing nostalgia without reverting to cheesy tropes or reboots". The writing in this show is absolutely TOP NOTCH and the acting/casting is pretty much perfect. This is really surprising considering the only known actors are Winona Ryder and David Harbour (at least that I know of), but the acting jobs by everyone is incredible. Winona Ryder plays a mom on the brink of a nervous breakdown spectacularly well (she has a knack for playing mentally deranged characters). Meanwhile, the child actors turn in flawless performances as well, even the young girl who has very limited lines still evokes a very strong character. The musical selections and musical score fit the moods and time period perfectly. From the electronic music score, to the the 80s punk, rock and pop selection. It is really hard to explain this show and why it is so good without giving away spoilers.

I had heard about this show from a friend but didn't expect much, boy was I wrong. From the production value, the writing, the casting; everything makes it feel more like a long form movie than a simple show. It has an astounding 9.2 out of 10 rating on IMDB and a 93% critic and 97% audience score on RottenTomatoes. The show is so good that it is almost guaranteed to get a second season, though I am wondering where and how they will take it.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 07-24-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Re: 'Stranger Things' On Netflix - AMAZING!

Just started the first show, then had to run out. Finishing it in a few minutes. We're hooked just halfway through that one show!
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Watching it now, looks pretty good AND it's in 4K.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Just saw there will be a season 2. Yippee!
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

I was good. I'd give it an 8 stars on a 10 scale. Sort of like watching Goonies, Alien, Signs and Fargo all at the same time.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Freshman

This show turned me, ahem, upside down.

Loved it. Felt like he 80's, great story, and just freaky enough to keep me interested. Read yesterday that a chacarcter we might not expect back will likely be back. Maybe more than one.

just discovered this and thought....i remember a thread on this!
    Go Cats!