Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GOP convention==anybody watching? If so, what do you think?

Re: GOP convention==anybody watching? If so, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    I think (hope) he'll make up ground tonight.
    The Luntz focus group is an indicator that a lot of undecideds had already shifted, he needs to continue to reel them in tonight.

Rupp's Runt

Prayers for your family and for you, bigsky.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Sorry, guys. Sometimes there's a time when a man refuses to compromise his principles. This is that time. I will never let it be said that I voted for Donald Trump as the lesser of evils.
    This is where I am as well. Maybe I am cutting off my nose, but I just can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Prayers for your family and for you, bigsky.
    Thanks suncat. Staying with my sister tonight and niece's husband is a young man but long time police officer. Raided a house full of guns and drugs last night. Thought of you and the guys in BPD.

I am a simple man and look at the coming election this way. Trump could be the best thing that has happened to this country in 36 years or he could just be a buffoon in office that gets nothing done as congress and the supremes won't let him. I can live with that potential either way. I know what the country will get with Clinton and that makes me ill to think about.

I will vote for Trump as there is the potential for something great to be started in this country, or there will be great theater that does little damage to the nation for 4 years. To me, not voting is a vote for Clinton
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Unforgettable

These speeches are borderline bizarre.

Colonel Eileen Collins wouldn't even mention Trump's name? Listen, that's ridiculous. If you don't want to support the candidate, fine. But they need to go all in when in front of the camera and microphones.

And that goes for you too, Ted Cruz. Very intelligent guy. Knew what he was doing, and it wasn't right.
    Wait, why was Cruz wrong? He said he stood by his principles, same reason you give for not voting for Trump. You should be applauding Cruz, you two stand side by side. Don't critique someone for doing exactly what you are doing

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I am a simple man and look at the coming election this way. Trump could be the best thing that has happened to this country in 36 years or he could just be a buffoon in office that gets nothing done as congress and the supremes won't let him. I can live with that potential either way. I know what the country will get with Clinton and that makes me ill to think about.

I will vote for Trump as there is the potential for something great to be started in this country, or there will be great theater that does little damage to the nation for 4 years. To me, not voting is a vote for Clinton
    Well said, Dan. Worst case scenario under Trump is things are basically static for four more years. Can't say that about Hiliary.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Wait, why was Cruz wrong? He said he stood by his principles, same reason you give for not voting for Trump. You should be applauding Cruz, you two stand side by side. Don't critique someone for doing exactly what you are doing
    Cruz should have pulled a Kasich or Bush and stayed home. Instead he tries to send his allies out to do his bidding and disrupt the convention with the "conscience objector" rule they wanted inserted. When Cruz was telling people to "vote their conscience" he was urging people not to vote for Trump.

The way Cruz behaved when asked about the situation by the Texas delegates he went off the deep end. America saw why no one in the Senate likes him.

I see it similar. I don't believe Trump is as bad as most. Add the checks and balances and that will keep him under control but mostly I'm sick and tired of what our country has become where establishment, self serving profiteers people rule this country. My hope is Trump blows that up completely
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

PS: if Obama didn't totally destroy this nation in 8 years, 4 of which he had Congress in his pocket, I doubt Trump could in 4 years
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

He stood on his principles in not endorsing Trump, and shredded his principles by going back on his word and signature. He can't have it both ways.

Darrell can speak for himself, but I was thinking the same thing about Cruz. I've got my problems with Trump (last night's speech sounded like a less optimistic Nixon--George Wallace?), but IMHO you don't speak at the nominating convention if you're not willing to endorse the candidate being nominated. Cruz should've done what many of the other non-endorsing candidates did and just stay away.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

GOP convention==anybody watching? If so, what do you think?

George Bush stood on his principles by not agreeing to go. When you accept the invitation to speak, you cannot sabotage the party. That exhibits very poor character and principles.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Cruz should have pulled a Kasich or Bush and stayed home. Instead he tries to send his allies out to do his bidding and disrupt the convention with the "conscience objector" rule they wanted inserted. When Cruz was telling people to "vote their conscience" he was urging people not to vote for Trump.

The way Cruz behaved when asked about the situation by the Texas delegates he went off the deep end. America saw why no one in the Senate likes him.
    Exactly. Better said than I did, Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    PS: if Obama didn't totally destroy this nation in 8 years, 4 of which he had Congress in his pocket, I doubt Trump could in 4 years
    I think there's a good chance you are correct here.

I think there's a good chance you are correct here.
    That's because I believe out nation is stronger than one man or woman

Unforgettable

I happen to agree with you Keith, but Darrell criticized Cruz for doing exactly what Darrell is doing

I was a long time supporter of Cruz, even though I wanted Walker to win the primary, but the last several months I started having bad feelings about Cruz. There was something behind that smirk that I began to distrust. To me he is hoping to sabotage Trumps campaign and Trump lose so he.Cruz. Can run in 4 years. He us finished nationally and more than likely in Texas because he won't be able to get anything done in the senate for the rest of his term

I happen to agree with you Keith, but Darrell criticized Cruz for doing exactly what Darrell is doing

I was a long time supporter of Cruz, even though I wanted Walker to win the primary, but the last several months I started having bad feelings about Cruz. There was something behind that smirk that I began to distrust. To me he is hoping to sabotage Trumps campaign and Trump lose so he.Cruz. Can run in 4 years. He us finished nationally and more than likely in Texas because he won't be able to get anything done in the senate for the rest of his term
    Keith, BEvans, and I are correct in criticizing Ted Cruz for accepting the podium and sabotaging the campaign. I have far more principles than that. I would not accept a position of support and do what he did. Bush and Kasich were principled men. So am I.

Your insistence on suggesting my refusal to vote for a candidate I find despicable is the same thing is beyond bizarre. It's not only not "the same thing," it is diametrically opposed to that position.

I think the electorate is seeing a side of Cruz that has been a common sight in the Senate. I always found it odd that Jeff Sessions threw his early support to Trump and not Cruz. This week has shown me why. Trump seems to be very well liked by those who know him, and his kids seem to be very well grounded for kids that grew up rich or poor. Cruz is more of a lone wolf that deserves the tag, "doesn't play well with others."

Most importantly, Sorry for the sad times you are going through Bigsky. God bless.
    -----------------------------------------------

I,d refuse to sit on a powder keg and spit at firecrackers if I were a Republican.

To trust Trump with the future of our children is a huge risk. He can save his own no matter what major mistake he makes with another nuclear power...yours would be just a part of his failed attempt to run the world.

And if one wants to see a racial face off? Well he is the proven racist candidate....but.the outcome will be devastating to all of us. Trump is no more than an insane gamble from any angle. The day this nation becomes a subsidiary of Trump enterprises, will be the day our nation dies.
    Last edited by kingcat; 07-22-2016 at 01:07 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post

I,d refuse to sit on a powder keg and spit at firecrackers if I were a Republican.

To trust Trump with the future of our children is a huge risk. He can save his own no matter what major mistake he makes with another nuclear power...yours would be just a part of his failed attempt to run the world.

And if one wants to see a racial face off? Well he is the proven racist candidate....but.the outcome will be devastating to all of us. Trump is no more than an insane gamble from any angle. The day this nation becomes a subsidiary of Trump enterprises, will be the day our nation dies.
    That is the left wing propaganda view being espoused by the liberals, who fear Trump will cut off their gravy train.

Save our country for the ruin Hillary will bring, vote for Trump. What has the left brought us? Extreme regulations that make it impossible for businesses that hire people to be created. The worlds highest corporate tax rate, which has made businesses flock to other shores, taking manufacturing jobs with them. They gave us eight years of near zero growth, and wages that aren't stagnant, but losing ground. Higher health care premiums with less coverage. They brought us the incredibly shrinking middle class, anyone who has read the ramblings of the left knows the goal is to destroy the middle class. They have brought us the poorest race relations in my memory. The left has double our national debt in just seven years, and would have added more to it had Americans not booted them out of the majority.

Trumps' average donation is $50, he funded the primary campaign out of pocket. Hillary's average donation is much higher and she has taken in tens of millions in corporate cash.

That is the left wing propaganda view being espoused by the liberals, who fear Trump will cut off their gravy train.

Save our country for the ruin Hillary will bring, vote for Trump. What has the left brought us? Extreme regulations that make it impossible for businesses that hire people to be created. The worlds highest corporate tax rate, which has made businesses flock to other shores, taking manufacturing jobs with them. They gave us eight years of near zero growth, and wages that aren't stagnant, but losing ground. Higher health care premiums with less coverage. They brought us the incredibly shrinking middle class, anyone who has read the ramblings of the left knows the goal is to destroy the middle class. They have brought us the poorest race relations in my memory. The left has double our national debt in just seven years, and would have added more to it had Americans not booted them out of the majority.

Trumps' average donation is $50, he funded the primary campaign out of pocket. Hillary's average donation is much higher and she has taken in tens of millions in corporate cash.
    Right wing propaganda is served (spewed) here constantly. Some of it scary.
    And to dine with the gang, one is nearly forced to eat or suffer veiled personal attacks

The difference is that in this case, this is how I feel and is not born of a hate for our country's current and past democratic leaders..or any other. My fears aren't limited to lwe "liberals" alone , but to anyone who isn't blinded by party loyalty...thus we see similar hesitation even from conservatives on this forum. I hope that is a trend repeated nationally for all our sakes.

As for the economic stability this country currently enjoys, anyone can see if not admit we rebounded from the brink of unprecedented disaster under this administration. How that has been accomplished may not suit the opposition, but can't rationally be denied
    Last edited by kingcat; 07-22-2016 at 04:28 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

I have zero fear about Trump and the whole doomsday nuclear war thing. That was all trotted out for Reagan as well. Yes he's erratic in his comments, whereas for Reagan it was his sabre rattling, but it's the same concept.

First, Trump has shown no such erratic behavior in his business affairs that we know about, and that's the real measure here. Bluster and short talk is one thing, actually taking action is vastly different.

But most important, its not like the President can just wake up one day and launch nuclear weapons. Not only by law, but I just don't believe anyone would ever carry out such orders out of the blue.

Trump is blustering and very much everything I dislike about New Yorkers and Yankees in general in his behavior, but New Yorkers, even obnoxious ones, aren't more likely to go to war than anyone else.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

As for the economic stability this country currently enjoys, anyone can see if not admit we rebounded from the brink of unprecedented disaster under this administration. How that has been accomplished may not suit the opposition, but can't rationally be denied
    Oh, it can be quite rationally denied. It's the "things were bad at point A thinking, now at point B this is better, so the policies between must be good ones" approach that has us in such a mess, both from policies on the right and left. It's simply a poor way to approach economics b/c by definition economies are moving targets.

it would have taken nearly barbaric mistakes for us to actually NOT be at least somewhat better off. The 2008 bubble bust was far from "unprecedented", in fact it's a pretty regular cycle, in this case brought on mostly by government intervention in the housing market.

But the recovery has been anemic by historic standards, in fact the most tepid recovery in US history, and that was due largely to the vastly growing debt and regulations.

You won't believe any of that and that's OK, but it is the case. Obama gets no more credit for a recovery than I'd have given to Bush I or II for their reign b/c none of them have done anything except get in the way of the natural process of what is left of the US market system recovering. The market is doing that itself, not government, they're just slowing it down.

but this nation will eventually collapse under its own weight thanks to the liberalism of the last 60 years. Less than half of Americans actually contribute anything to the economy or pay any taxes, and they are carrying the weight for everyone. As that group shrinks, and it is is always shrinking, and the other grows, the failure is inevitable.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

It interesting to hear liberals voice concern about an unstable Trump yet support a guy who has allowing and sanctioned a nuclear Iran. Guess it's because of all the stable leadership in Terhan

He had impeccable advice from the Secretary of State. Dictators may be crazy as loons and in that respect not stable, but they generally rule a country for a long, long time
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 07-22-2016 at 09:07 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

He had impeccable advice from the Secretary of State
    Via e-mail??

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    It interesting to hear liberals voice concern about an unstable Trump yet support a guy who has allowing and sanctioned a nuclear Iran. Guess it's because of all the stable leadership in Terhan
    This.

People really think the US will start the next massive war? We will only start it by having acted badly enough to let another nation get in position to start it, not b/c we just launched missiles by random one day.

At least let's say that the odds are vastly higher that we'll cause it through inaction and policy, not through a direct attack.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    This.

People really think the US will start the next massive war? We will only start it by having acted badly enough to let another nation get in position to start it, not b/c we just launched missiles by random one day.

At least let's say that the odds are vastly higher that we'll cause it through inaction and policy, not through a direct attack.

The Republican Party is in disarray for a reason . Similar doubts and concerns extend to the well informed right. That speaks volumes imo.

Unforgettable

Most importantly, Sorry for the sad times you are going through Bigsky. God bless.
    -----------------------------------------------

Racist???? The man hires black women for mgt positions, do you realize that. He had a gay man speak at the convention. He had blacks speak at the convention. He talked of defending gays.

You spill the DNC talking points straight up. Hillary is a proven liar to congress, to the American people, and the parents of those killed in Libya. She is a proven crook who will screw everyone and anyone for money. She sat back and allowed her husband to sexually assault women. She hates the military. Will open this country to hundreds and possibly thousands of terrorists posing as refugees and ISIS has said they will do it. Her foreign work was an utter disaster. She wants an open border, not because she cares about those people but they are voted, votes to allow her to keep her power and continue her crooked ways. And you openly support that???? At least you admit to supporting her unlike others who do but won't admit it