Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: For better and worse I think my proposal is going to go through

For better and worse I think my proposal is going to go through

Hopefully with the due process protections proposed by some in Congress, I think you'll see pretty quick action to add those on the terror watch list to the excluded list for gun purchases.

Even the NRA has GOT to embrace this plan, and then focus on debates over the details of due process for it, b/c the position that someone on the terror watch list should have a right to buy firearms is political poison.

there's no other way. This move shows some kind of action, some kind of response, and if either side opposes it they'll be vilified. It's just down to how it's done now IMO.

The only problem is fixing the watch list and providing judicial review of those decisions. That is a MUST, but I think they'll get it in place. There's no gain politically to the left fighting that provision.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Re: For better and worse I think my proposal is going to go through

Citizen,

I got a call from the NRA this evening (computer voice) urging me to call the VA Senators and tell them to not vote for any change to the gun laws.

As a member of the NRA and PETA (non-practicing but dues paying) I wonder who else got a similar call tonight.

They backed off their first stance on this yesterday, and they'll have to back off more of really really shoot themselves in the foot.

I'll be curious to see if they have any political common sense or not.

Yes some people will be denied guns who should have a right to them, and with some kind of judicial appeal many of those can be worked out, but even with that happening it's going to be a necessary step b/c damned few American voters are going to be OK with the idea that someone on the terror watch list can't board an airplane but can buy all the guns they want.

The push by the NRA and the pro gun members of Congress has to be where those members are putting it, on addressing how we do it and how due process is put in place and how the list is managed and controlled.

Same thing as when we first started national background checks. Not letting the records be kept beyond so much time, that sort of thing is where they need to focus.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

The message from last night's call was to urge Congress to take no action. I will be curious to see what the NRA does here too. They are the among the most powerful lobbies in DC.

Hard to stand on a position that can allow terrorists to get weapons. Of course this legislation could very well be the stepping stone to taking away weapons from us all. The fine print and how those commas and phrases like may or must really come into play. don't get me started on definitions. Liberty can be stolen with the chicken scratch of a pen.

On a historical note, wasn't the shot heard round the world fired due to the British marching on Lexington and Concord to confiscate a weapons stash of the Colonists.

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

If you trust Republicans in either house of Congress to do the right thing, you're dreaming. They're just as bad as the Democrats.
    Anything they do is going to be against the best interests of the American people. Just sit back and watch.
    MOLON LABE!

The law would be unconstitutional, you cannot deny people a right without due process. That due process needs to come prior to denying them their rights, not after their rights have been denied.

There are one million names on the terrorist watch list. I cane see most of those being on the list due to posting negative comments about the Obama administration or the government.

The problem with this is the libs will expand the list to cover anyone that don't go along with their agenda.

We don't own a gun. But with this apparent rush to discard basic due process (people get mistakenly/accidentally placed on these lists all the time), I think we're going to go ahead and do it.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Dems claim they want to do something meaningful, but vote down mental health gun bill and aren't expected to endorse the Collins bill that would allow the no fly terrorist watch list to be used to prevent an Omar Mateen from getting weapons, but allow those wrongly placed on the list to get a quick adjudication.