Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Should Kentucky create a statue to Muhammad Ali?

This is a bit long, but here are some of my thoughts and questions on the idea.

http://www.civilwarobsession.com/201...nfederate.html

Re: Should Kentucky create a statue to Muhammad Ali?

Someone undoubtedly will but would not be my choice. Refused to serve his country, became entwined with radical Islamics. 58,000 soldiers died during the Vietnam war and a goodly number of them were African American. Some will argue that Ali was a conscientious objectors to the war. Other co's, black and white, had a choice of jail, Canada, or serving in the military. One small thing, I think Ali made his contention that he was a co's and pacifist by willingly getting into the ring and beating the hell out of another person for money. Jmho

That's definitely a valid viewpoint to consider.

If Rocky Balboa has one, how can I argue with Ali having one?

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    If Rocky Balboa has one, how can I argue with Ali having one?
    Hard to argue against that point.
    I can agree that there should be one, given his pugilistic accomplishments in the ring. I am still, however, after all of these years, not fully accepting of his argument of being a "conscientious objector" to serving in the Army when he was fully willing to climb into a boxing ring for pay. That just doesn't wash with me. But honoring him with a statue for his boxing accomplishments, yes, I'm good with that.
    MOLON LABE!

can a statue both honor his boxing accomplishments and discuss the other issues too (maybe include a plaque with a paragraph about his life?)

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Hard to argue against that point.
    I can agree that there should be one, given his pugilistic accomplishments in the ring. I am still, however, after all of these years, not fully accepting of his argument of being a "conscientious objector" to serving in the Army when he was fully willing to climb into a boxing ring for pay. That just doesn't wash with me. But honoring him with a statue for his boxing accomplishments, yes, I'm good with that.