Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Shots fired on UCLA camups

Shots fired on UCLA camups

Campus in lockdown as a gunperson(s) is on campus firing away. Last report has 2 victims, status of injuries unknown

LINK
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: Shots fired on UCLA camups

Impossible! UCLA is a gun free zone.

Was apparently just a regular old murder/suicide. Caused a lot more commotion b/c it was on a campus.

But yes, in a gun free zone that should be impossible shouldn't it? lol
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Was apparently just a regular old murder/suicide. Caused a lot more commotion b/c it was on a campus.

But yes, in a gun free zone that should be impossible shouldn't it? lol

And having a bunch of armed college kids would not have stopped it so let's not pretend that it would have. The guy shot somebody then killed himself. Having somebody else with a gun would not have changed it. LOL and ROTFLMAO because folks getting killed is always funny
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    And having a bunch of armed college kids would not have stopped it so let's not pretend that it would have. The guy shot somebody then killed himself. Having somebody else with a gun would not have changed it. LOL and ROTFLMAO because folks getting killed is always funny
    I laugh at lots of sad things. Like how half the country doesn't know the three branches of government, etc. Or people thinking a sign that says "no guns" means someone who is lost enough to kill a fellow human being will see it and turn around.

No, having armed college kids wasn't going to stop this, or anything else. This sounds like a sadly too typical dispute between two people, one of whom decided neither one of them needed to live.

In this case it was just ironic that it happened in a gun free zone. But it's well established that the shooting spree types specifically look for those targets b/c they know that means they have less chance of facing resistance and it will create maximum media attention.

These kinds of killings are the hardest to prevent, and in truth are well nigh impossible to prevent. Even a complete ban on guns wouldn't do it, these are crimes of a personal nature and they'd just stab someone to death or run them over or whatever. It might mean some of the victims live, but not a big number. It's also not a crime stopped by things like mental health reviews, as most are crimes of passion and are not done by people with a history of being a danger to others. Some small percent maybe, but not a big one.

I didn't mean to be dismissive, but the truth is this only made headlines b/c it happened on a college campus which set off all the alarms and had everyone thinking it was a shooting spree. Sadly there were dozens of other murders in the US today that won't make any headlines outside the local news b/c they weren't in a high profile area. 90%+ of them were either domestic disputes or drug turf battles, and probably more than 50% were drug turf battles or disputes.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Big difference between somebody getting murdered and some moron not knowing the three branches of the government. Shocked that you would compare them. Next time somebody dies because they can't identify the executive, legisltive and judicial branches will likely be the first time. Regardless, I see nothing humorous in an incident where somebody is murdered.

Second point, this wasn't a killing spree so gun free zone had no impact on the situation. Odds are it had as much an impact as say the Iranian nuclear deal, which would be none. I tend to shy away from trying to score political points in the immediate wake of a tragedy. I find that approach distasteful when the liberal gun control advocates play that card in the immediate aftermath of a shooting and see it as distasteful when gun advocates do the same, but to each his own.

And yes, the location raised the attention level because most parents want to believe their children are safe on the college campuses across this nation. Was impressed with the LAPDs response and how quickly they responded, or at least it seemed as rapid and efficient. Had this happens in a area we assume to be safe like a shopping mall or amusement park, I suspect the level of attention would have been similar.
    Last edited by Doc; 06-01-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Big difference between somebody getting murdered and some moron not knowing the three branches of the government. Shocked that you would compare them. Next time somebody dies because they can't identify the executive, legisltive and judicial branches will likely be the first time. Regardless, I see nothing humorous in an incident where somebody is murdered.

Second point, this wasn't a killing spree so gun free zone had no impact on the situation. Odds are it had as much an impact as say the Iranian nuclear deal, which would be none. I tend to shy away from trying to score political points in the immediate wake of a tragedy. I find that approach distasteful when the liberal gun control advocates play that card in the immediate aftermath of a shooting and see it as distasteful when gun advocates do the same, but to each his own.

And yes, the location raised the attention level because most parents want to believe their children are safe on the college campuses across this nation. Was impressed with the LAPDs response and how quickly they responded, or at least it seemed as rapid and efficient. Had this happens in a area we assume to be safe like a shopping mall or amusement park, I suspect the level of attention would have been similar.
    Lighten up Doc. Most important, I never LOLed at the death, just the idea of gun free zones. I stick to that, they're dumb.

I admit I'm more cynical about life and death than most, but if you knew my history you'd know why. I don't want anyone to die, but I learned earlier than most and had to learn to accept it.

As for gun free zones, I agree completely it had no bearing on anything. that's kinda the point, and yes I find those who think they mean anything at all to be kinda funny, which is where the LOL was attached if you'll notice. Not on someone being killed.

I wasn't scoring political points at all. I said directly in my post above that the zone had nothing to do with it. It just reminded me for the 100th time how dumb it is to think a sign stops a guy with a gun. In this case it was a personal matter and not a random shooting, but the uselessness of the concept is the same.

But that's not a political point related to this shooting, at least I certainly didn't mean it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Lighten up Doc.
    Will do, but just for clarification in the future... guess it's fine to joke about gun free zones if you're against them even when a death is involved but do so if you hold differing point of view as in this thread ( http://www.kysportsreport.com/forums...ght=courthouse ) I'm offensive and insulting, worthy of an explanation of the difference of workplace hazards. Of course nobody requested anybody to "lighten up" there, huh? Where folks see humor is a completely different topic but for me you can pretty much guarantee I don't see humor in a situation where an innocent person is murdered. But then I do have an odd sense of humor, or so I'm told