Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in Soccer?

Anyone interested in Soccer?

So guys, euro 2016 is just 2 weeks away. Happens once every 4 years. You got any particular teams to root for? As for me, I am still kind of undecided between Team Germany and France. England is my third option. Team Germany has all the skills to bag the championship but let's not forget how France won the world cup and euro championship back in 1998 and 2000. They were playing on their homeland back then. How about you guys? Which team are you rooting for?

Fab Five

Re: Anyone interested in Soccer?

I would have to believe Team Deutschland would be the favorite. They should have a number of players on the roster from the World Cup Championship Team. I would be surprised if England gets to the semis.

Picked up my 15-year old son from school this morning and asked him. I usually get immersed in it when he's watching, and he's much bigger fan than me. This is what I remember.

Spain team is one to look out for even though they tripped up in world Cup. Missing a good strike force. Cut their best striker, Costa. Good midfielders and really good defense. (He's rooting for them because of the World Cup, so maybe he's biased).

He's also rooting for England because he loves their strike force, Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy.

Obviously Germany is favorite to win it, he said.

Sees Netherlands as having "good players, but not a team that can win."

He likes France. Says they have really good players, midfielders and decent strike force.

That's about it. Sees Spain as the surprise team.

Watched the second half of France v Romania in the break room. What a match. What a shot in the 89th minute to win it. It was like Aaron Harrison winning a NCAA game.

Another low scoring game. Final score 14-7
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Another low scoring game. Final score 14-7
    All 21 points scored in the 2nd half, too!

Wales with a 1-0 lead on a 40-yard Bales free kick goal, the England keeper was sluggish and couldn't stop it.

Sterling missed from 6-yards with his left foot over goal earlier. Vardy would have buried it.

The last time England trailed at halftime of a EURO match was in 1988 ... against the Soviet Union.

Second half underway...

England had gone 20 Euro matches in a row without trailing at half, the longest such streak in tournament history

VARDY! Ties the game 1-1, ball deflected off Wales and bounced it in. He should have started the game in place of Sterling.

Vardy with his fourth goal in his last five games for England.

Bombino

USA plays tonight in the Americas Cup. Somehow USA won their section and made it into the knock-out round. I plan on watching it, though I only get it on Univasion (it is still OK to watch even with spanish announcers).

Sturridge! Wow, goal in extra time, 92nd minute. Heartbreaking loss for Wales, huge win for England.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    USA plays tonight in the Americas Cup. Somehow USA won their section and made it into the knock-out round. I plan on watching it, though I only get it on Univasion (it is still OK to watch even with spanish announcers).
    I like watching USA, have seen them in person, and of course, root for them. But our star power just isn't at the elite level and it's a little like watching my local AA Barons play minor league baseball compared to the Cubs. That's an exaggeration, but when I can even see the skill level difference, it's significant enough.

The guys for team USA 🇺🇸 I really like are Bobby Wood, Fabian Johnson and the 17-year old, Christian Pulisic. Oh, and Zardes... I love watching his speed. Notable for my omission - Bradley and Dempsey. Good, not elite. Need elite there.

Tonight is going to be very interesting. Yedlin is out because of the two yellows last game, and an astounding 7 Team USA players have a yellow from last game, meaning that if they pick up one tonight, and USA advances, they will be suspended for the next game. Some strategy possible in deciding who to start, although I think Klinsmann is planning on not changing anything other than Yedlin's replacement.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I like watching USA, have seen them in person, and of course, root for them. But our star power just isn't at the elite level and it's a little like watching my local AA Barons play minor league baseball compared to the Cubs. That's an exaggeration, but when I can even see the skill level difference, it's significant enough.

The guys for team USA ���� I really like are Bobby Wood, Fabian Johnson and the 17-year old, Christian Pulisic. Oh, and Zardes... I love watching his speed. Notable for my omission - Bradley and Dempsey. Good, not elite. Need elite there.

Tonight is going to be very interesting. Yeldin is out because of the two yellows last game, and an astounding 7 Team USA players have a yellow from last game, meaning that if they pick up one tonight, and USA advances, they will be suspended for the next game. Some strategy possible in deciding who to start, although I think Klinsmann is planning on not changing anything other than Yeldin's replacement.
    Wow I didn't realize it was that rough. I missed the last game, but plan to watch this one tonight. My buddy who plays soccer is REALLY hyped about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Wow I didn't realize it was that rough. I missed the last game, but plan to watch this one tonight. My buddy who plays soccer is REALLY hyped about it.
    I'll be watching it with you guys .

Oh - USA picked up so many yellow cards partially because they played almost the entire 2nd half 10v11, with Yedlin's two yellow cards equalling a red and getting him booted quickly in the 2nd half. They had to play extremely hard to maintain their 1-goal lead, which they did. I had a lot of fun watching it.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 06-16-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Bombino

GOOOLLLLLLLL 1-0 USA!

USA! USA! USA!

Bombino

USA! USA! USA!
    That red card and yellow combined really hurts the USA, especially in the next game.

GOOALLLL 2-0

Fewer players on the field make it more goal likely... Yech

You know it's fun when even the keeper gets a Yellow.

USA 🇺🇸!

First COPA semifinal for USA since 1995.

Bombino

You know it's fun when even the keeper gets a Yellow.
    Refs were like Oprah giving out cars.

You get a yellow card and you get a yellow card and YOU get a yellow card

Bombino

Chile had its way with mexico. Winning 7-0, they just manhandled Mexico non-stop.

It's Team USA v Argentina tomorrow night in the COPA semifinals. I don't give USA much of a chance, but that's what sports miracles are made of.

USA will be playing without Jermaine Jones, Bobby Wood and Alejandro Bedoya, and will be facing the # 1 team in the world. We will miss Bobby Wood, who I think has been playing fantastic.

Zardes will need to come of age. He has the raw talent/speed. Beckerman needs to have a fantastic game replacing Jones. Some say (I do not follow them enough to know) that Beckerman actually matches up better in a defensive posture vs Lionel Messi than does Jones, so this could work out ok for the US.

Can't wait. We have had two extra days of rest that Argentina will not have, thanks to the draw, so we have a little luck headed our way in Houston.

I'm guessing Argentina, 2-1.

Fab Five

I am fired up about USA v. Argentina. This obviously would be a seriously tough match for the USMNT at full strength, but down three starters, are you kidding me? Somehow I have to believe the bench players who get the nod will play well. Hell, they are on the same field as Lionel Messi! It's the chance of a lifetime. Don't be surprised if they game is much closer than expected.

I attended the USA Argentina match in the opening game of the Olympic Games in '96 at Birmingham's Legion Field. The Argentins we met before the match were terrific people. They know how to tailgate. Claudio Reyna hit a goal in the first minute of the match. Legion Field erupted. It was the loudest crowd noise I heard anywhere, anytime in my life. The upper deck above us was swaying. Alas, the US eventually lost the match, but it always left me believing USA could play with anyone. (Alexi Lalas sure looked different back then than he does on TV today. I hardly recognized him.)

Schedule Today:

EURO
    Wales (1-0-1) v Russia (0-1-1) 3:00pm ET, ESPN2
    England (1-1-0) v Slovakia (1-0-1) 3:00pm ET, ESPN

TUESDAY
    EURO
    Poland (1-1-0) v Ukraine (0-0-2) 12:00pm ET ESPN2
    Germany (1-1-0) v Northern Ireland (1-0-1) 12:00pm ET ESPN
    Turkey (0-0-2) v Czech Republic (0-1-1) 3:00pm ET ESPN2
    Germany (1-1-0) v Northern Ireland (1-0-1) 12:00pm ET ESPN

COPA
    Argentina v USA 9:00pm ET FS1 (Semifinal 1)

(The other semifinal is Wednesday, Chile v Colombia, 8:00pm ET, FS1)

FIFA Rankings (for me, and others who may not follow the sport all that regularly):

Argentina is # 1 in the world. USA is # 31. Waiting in the wings for the winner is # 3 Colombia v # 5 Chile.

Some good matches in EURO:

Wales # 26 v Russia # 29
    England # 11 v Slovakia # 24
    Poland # 27 v Ukraine # 19
    Germany # 4 v Northern Ireland # 25
    Turkey # 18 v Czech Republic # 30

Those are some powerhouse matches. There are 209 ranked countries, so this is almost like rankings in NCAA basketball, where everybody involved is a top 25 type team.

Amazing goal scored by Switzerland

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan