Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Not much of a discussion on the Will Smith murder (the football player)

Not much of a discussion on the Will Smith murder (the football player)

So I figured I'd start the thread (LINK for those who don't know the story). Standard road rage. Guy has a car accident, "fears for his life" so he shoots and kills somebody.

So my questions are

1) Did Smith have a gun?

2) If he had a gun, did he have a permit?

3) Did Hayes have a permit?

4) If he had a permit, anybody have an issue with this?

What happened to the good old days when if you had a car accident, you exchanged insurance information, not bullets?
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fab Five

Re: Not much of a discussion on the Will Smith murder (the football player)

Doc, this story is taking on a new life. Smith knew the Hayes guy who shot him. He was a security guy for the Saints. Smith may also have been set up by the guy he had dinner with. This could be some really unsavory underworld type of crap. The bump in the rear end was no accident. It wasn't road rage.

Interesting. I'd not heard any of that.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Shaping up to be a bizarre situation.

I doubt he had a permit. not sure what is required in LA, but this same guy was charged with possessing an illegal weapon just a few years ago. His attorney says this one was legal, and there was no weapons charge in this incident, but that raises an eyebrow with me and makes me think he probably didn't have a carry permit but LA does allow vehicle carry without a permit (I looked it up real quick).

This may be a setup, but even if it isn't this is one of those tough cases that are hard to get right. But the truth is that it's exceptionally rare for an otherwise law abiding person to go postal and shoot someone in this situation. They are almost always someone with a violent and criminal past who shouldn't even have a gun. The accidental/over-reaction shootings are quite rare and almost all of them are based around the home, where someone is shot on a porch or similar.

The road rage ones mostly trace to someone who isn't a good person already. Not saying that makes it OK or reassuring, it's not, but that's generally the case. That's why when states start allowing carry you don't see a rise in the number of these kinds of shootings, b/c people who go through the process to carry don't do these things (extremely rarely).
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Interesting. I'd not heard any of that.
    I also read that the guy smith ate with was a former cop who was named in a suit by the shooter, and which was settled by the city.

Maybe all a freak coincidence, but there's a lot of weird connections in this case. I'll be curious to see what comes out.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Some questions answered today--LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    So I figured I'd start the thread (LINK for those who don't know the story). Standard road rage. Guy has a car accident, "fears for his life" so he shoots and kills somebody.

So my questions are

1) Did Smith have a gun? YES

2) If he had a gun, did he have a permit? Article did not say

3) Did Hayes have a permit? Article didn't say but also implies there were two guns in his possession

4) If he had a permit, anybody have an issue with this? Again, no mention of permits

What happened to the good old days when if you had a car accident, you exchanged insurance information, not bullets?