Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Daughter's car with Check Engine Light Code

Daughter's car with Check Engine Light Code

So... Do I need to take this to the mechanic, or is it ok?

She lost her gas cap in October and got a replacement one from Autozone, and I'm wondering if it just isn't a good fit.

She's low on gas, and I seem to remember having some issue with my old Volvo when the tank got low, so just kept it full and it seemed to work. No idea if that contributes either.

Anyway, this is the Code from my handy dandy OBD II reader thing.

uploadfromtaptalk1460082278155.jpg

Re: Daughter's car with Check Engine Light Code

Replace the gas cap. It's the most common and is usually a cheap fix.

Will do, thanks. That sounds great.

yep, it's the gas cap 99% of the time. Replace it, ignore it, but either way curse the federal government for the heaping piles of regulations that make every car cost thousands more and then they wonder why the disadvantaged have a hard time getting by.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Try electrical tape. You know.. Put it over the check engine light.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Try electrical tape. You know.. Put it over the check engine light.
    This. It's generally where a guy plugs a little thingamajig in the whatchamacallit and resets it.

If not the cap the vent solenoid is usually the next on the list of likely failures.
    Evap Sensors are notorious for problems too.

- faulty vent control valve
    - blockage at the vent hose, vent filter or vent control valve
    - open or short in the vent control valve circuit
    - bad charcoal canister
    - EVAP system leak
    - faulty EVAP system pressure sensor
    - bad vacuum switching valve (VSV) (Toyota, Lexus)
    - stuck open purge valve (solenoid)

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Did you check the "Check The 'Check Engine Light' Light"?

U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Daughter's car with Check Engine Light Code

It may need a new 710

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Id' try percussive maintenance.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Tank isn't holding pressure. Most likely the above mentioned gas cap. Sometimes you can just take the cap off and retighten it.

Darrell

This happened to me in a Toyota I had. I had to replace the Gas cap 3 times. I finally had to get one from Toyota for it to hold take pressure and not kick the light back on. I assume you are getting it reset after replacing the gas cap? Many times your computer will not reset itself once you make the correction.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    Darrell

This happened to me in a Toyota I had. I had to replace the Gas cap 3 times. I finally had to get one from Toyota for it to hold take pressure and not kick the light back on. I assume you are getting it reset after replacing the gas cap? Many times your computer will not reset itself once you make the correction.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    Our Buick had the Check Engine light on for over a year, no apparent problems. My daughter left the key on and killed the battery about three weeks ago. Check Engine light has been off since.

Sometimes disconnecting the battery for an hour is needed to actually reset the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Our Buick had the Check Engine light on for over a year, no apparent problems. My daughter left the key on and killed the battery about three weeks ago. Check Engine light has been off since.

Sometimes disconnecting the battery for an hour is needed to actually reset the computer.
    It has reset the computer every time I have done that. Many times the light does not come back on for months.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I reset the check engine light with the app and the bluetooth OBD II scanner I had. We had already taken the gas cap off and put it back on. I figured if the check engine light came back on after that, I'd buy a replacement cap. It hasn't come back on (yet), so I'm going to leave it alone, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I reset the check engine light with the app and the bluetooth OBD II scanner I had. We had already taken the gas cap off and put it back on. I figured if the check engine light came back on after that, I'd buy a replacement cap. It hasn't come back on (yet), so I'm going to leave it alone, I guess.
    I've had them trigger by not having the cap snug enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    It has reset the computer every time I have done that. Many times the light does not come back on for months.
    Some of the sensors false fail under extreme weather conditions, especially extreme cold.