Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Last 3 shows you've watched on Netflix/Amazon Prime

Last 3 shows you've watched on Netflix/Amazon Prime

Trying to get some ideas of new things to watch (now that UK lost ), so thought we could share what we've watched recently. For me:

1. The Roosevelts, An Intimate History--a documentary by Ken Burns;

2. Chef, a comedy with Jon Favreau, Dustin Hoffman, Scarlett Johannson and John Leguizamo;

3. The Layover--a travel show with Anthony Bourdain.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-22-2016 at 01:37 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Bombino

Re: Last 3 shows you've watched on Netflix/Amazon Prime

1. Archer - damn funny adult cartoon. I can't stress this enough that it is an ADULT cartoon. Think an alcoholic James Bond, without a filter. To give you an idea of the craziness of the shoe, the office HR head is an overweight sex-starved woman that gets addicted to cocaine and does fight club on the weekends.
    2. BoJack Horseman - a strange cartoon that is very Gen X oriented, basically it picks up with a washed-out star from the 90s that is a horse, trying to pick together his life in a non-Gen X era. It was much better than I expected. Decent character development and what not.
    3. House of Cards - Still trying to catch up on this.

Rupp's Runt

Do I lose my man card if I say Fuller House (wife) and LeapFrog - Alphabet Amusement Park (daughter)????

House of Cards (new season is OK)
    Parenthood (the TV series, not the movie)
    Californication

Currently I'm rewatching LOST
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Recently finished off the last season of Justified. Been watching Deadwood and like it a lot so far since it has a lot of the same actors from SOA and Justified.

Another show I finished a few weeks back was The Man In The High Castle. I recommend it highly.

All of these shows were on Prime.

KentuckyWildcat if you lost your man card, then I lose mine since I binge watched Fuller House and it WASNT my wife's idea.

Rupp's Runt

Trucker, I may still lose mine, but at least you will go before me LOL

Californication
    Better call Saul season 1
    Breaking bad.

Seen a new series I might check out called the ranch I believe.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Trucker is deadwood on Netflix?

Just seen you said it was on prime.

Bosch (AP)

House of Cards (N)

Mad Dogs (AP)

Daredevil (N)
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

I read recently that HBO is going to do a short Season 4 of Deadwood since it ended somewhat abruptly. Hope so..I loved that show.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Californication
    Better call Saul season 1
    Breaking bad.

Seen a new series I might check out called the ranch I believe.
    Mrs. BEvans and I watched that over the weekend. It's not great, but good. It's a traditional multi-cam sitcom filmed before a studio audience. Anything with Sam Elliott and Debra Winger in it is worth a watch IMHO.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Mrs. BEvans and I watched that over the weekend. It's not great, but good. It's a traditional multi-cam sitcom filmed before a studio audience. Anything with Sam Elliott and Debra Winger in it is worth a watch IMHO.
    Loved it!

Some Prime shows I've enjoyed recently:

--Poldark: a PBS Masterpiece series that's set in late 18th century Britain and based on the "Poldark" novel series;

--Catastrophe: a Prime original series about an American businessman who meets an English woman on vacation in London, she gets pregnant, they marry and comedy ensues;

--The World At War: the epic 20-some episode documentary series on WWII, with Laurence Olivier narrating. Probably the definitive video work on WWII--I remember watching it when it first came out in the 70s, but it still holds up.

Now I'm ready to watch All Or Nothing, a multi-episode Prime documentary on the Arizona Cardinals' 2015 season. Just came out on the 1st.

Person of Interest? It's the "machine is watching you" show.

Bombino

Next season of BoJack Horseman released today. I have really grown to enjoy that show, I like that the main character is tragically flawed, struggling with trying to be good but failing. I like that they avoid a lot of the typical tropes in TV shows and has interesting character development. Plus it is just a good amount of strange.

Watching Wentworth now. Is an Aussie version of.Orange is the new Black without the nudity
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Watching Wentworth now. Is an Aussie version of.Orange is the new Black without the nudity
    You picked the show with less nudity? Now that doesn't sound like you at all.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Just finished "All or Nothing" and I highly recommend it. For those who like "Hard Knocks," it's like that but for the whole season. Every NFL fan will love this.

Now watching Ken Burns' National Parks documentary series. I have to say I've visited very few national parks, but this (and photos from a friend's road trip out west) really has me wanting to get on the road and visit.

Psych (N) Can't believe I had never watched it before. Funny show.

Houdini and Doyle (Hulu)
    I really enjoy multi-plot shows like this. It is an ongoing series but I like to watch two or three episodes in succession.

And like John, I just finished off S:2 Daredevil (N) a couple of weeks ago.
    Last edited by kingcat; 07-23-2016 at 12:12 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Bombino

Finished watching the new season of BoJack Horseman, I REALLY enjoyed that season. He continues on down his path of self-destruction, as they keep his character evolving. If you came of age in the 90s then it really resonates with you, it has that 90s GenX nihilism. You can tell the writers lived in the 90s. For example, they call one of the characters an Asian Daria. A character from a cartoon in the 90s.

Just started watching "Stranger Things" on Netflix, only in episode 2 of 8, but holy crap has it started REALLY damn well. Good acting, good period appropriate music, good writing. I don't know how to describe it other than to say it has a bit of an X-Files meets Stephen King meets an early Stephen Spielberg meets the Goonies kinda feel. They are themed in the early 80s and it really works well for this show. Not sure how else to describe it, without giving away some of the plot. If you enjoy sci-fi thrillers I REALLY HEAVILY encourage you to check it out. It is the kinda show best watched at night in the dark. It has an astounding 9.2 out of 10 rating on IMDB and a crazy 93%Critic/97% Audience score on RottenTomatoes.

I have to say, Netflix is absolutely KILLING it with their original programming. "Stranger Things" is the type of show that would get lost on broadcast television. The commercials would break the necessary suspense, plus each episode is 50+ min long (not enough time for commercials). It is dark, kinda brooding and very story focused. It would work on HBO but certainly not one of the big three. Whomever is at Netflix picking the programs they greenlight, they are exceptional and worth their weight in gold. From House of Cards, OitNB, Stranger Things, BoJack Horseman, etc. etc. etc. they are just killing it with quality left and right.

EDIT: Here is the IMDB Synopsis of "Stranger Things", they did a MUCH better job at describing the show than me:
    In a small town where everyone knows everyone, a peculiar incident starts a chain of events that leads to the disappearance of a child - which begins to tear at the fabric of an otherwise peaceful community. Dark government agencies and seemingly malevolent supernatural forces converge on the town, while a few locals begin to understand that there's more going on than meets the eye.
    Here is the rotten tomatoes synopsis as well:
    A love letter to the '80s classics that captivated a generation, Stranger Things is set in 1983 Indiana, where a young boy vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 07-24-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Longmire is sort of a modern day western set near a reservation. Start watching it now and a new season will there about the time you're done. Four seasons currently running (IIRC). I've enjoyed it.

Freshman

1. Orange is the New Black

2. Metallica's Through the Never - a half concert/half drug fueled trip by a roadie meeting the band's request. SQUEEEEE!

3. Rewatch of Justified. Raylan is da man.

I really loved the series about the travels and life of Marco Polo.

Thanks to PedroDaGr8 for the tip on Stranger Things. Just finished it and it was top notch fun. I went to IMDb and gave it a 10. If you're 40-60 it'll bring back memories.

Currently watching "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" on Netflix. I'm not usually into musical shows, but it feels a lot like "Scrubs," which had comedy mixed with musical numbers from time to time. Very funny.

Also, "5 Roger Ebert-Approved Movies Coming To Netflix This Month":

http://mentalfloss.com/article/83873...-netflix-month

Well, just "binge watched" Stranger Things. Sort of if Poltergist and Alien had a baby and it was adopted by Goonies and raised by the Cohen Brothers.

Well, just "binge watched" Stranger Things. Sort of if Poltergist and Alien had a baby and it was adopted by Goonies and raised by the Cohen Brothers.
    I liked it

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Psych (N) Can't believe I had never watched it before. Funny show.
    Got to agree. Just watched the Pilot. Looks like 8 seasons worth of something good to watch.

I finished it last week, and really liked it.

Currently we have started watching "Chuck" which is sort of similar to Psyche. Won a couple of Emmy's I hear.

I'm a like'n it so far

Digging on some Marco Polo too in my spare viewing time.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain