Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting to know you-ksr edition

Re: Getting to know you-ksr edition

Sorry for replying to the posts and taking up space, but I couldn't help myself since I asked the questions. I love reading everyones individual stories and how they became who they are, really lends more to their voice when I read their posts. I tend to really like interacting with all types. With that, i'll give a little background on myself...

Name is Michael, I grew up in Livingston County which is near Paducah which was the idea behind my screen name of course. I actually chose the alternate spelling to simplify my screen name from paducahcat because it just didn't look right, and chief paduke was the founder of the city so I went with it. I'm 39 years old and am married with 3 children ages 14, 13, and 9. The eldest as you may recall is a young man we just recently adopted from china. Here is the blog link that takes you through the process http://hereiammyson.blogspot.com/, and my entries are pretty much only while I was in china, but its a good read and pretty interesting if you want to understand the process and what it takes you through. Its been a journey for sure and he is doing well getting adjusted. My other son age 13 is the sweetest kid ever and seems to be a natural with singing and playing piano, and the youngest is my 9 year old daughter who is one heck of an athlete.

I really have a boring story in that I grew up with a great childhood with tons of friends spending their summers together playing ball and riding bikes. Great parents who were supportive but let us become who we wanted to be. I LOVED playing ball and pretty much spent my childhood doing nothing but this, usually in my own yard or driveway. Played baseball for my hs team and we had a good group that took our little county to the state by defeating the likes of the larger schools such as Henderson, Christian Co, etc. Ended up losing to Owensboro Apollo when they had brad Wilkerson who went on to hit for the cycle in the majors. I played shortstop for us usually but moved around the infield depending on our pitchers. Never hit a home run at any level until our senior year and my first one was a game winner. Had a full scholarship to a small school but decided I didn't want to leave my friends and just wanted to focus on school. I was about the same level player in basketball, had a few fine moments such as hitting a 3 pointer to win a game. 6'1" white dudes from rural counties on ho-hum teams don't get a lot of scholarship offers but I was good enough to play some small college ball and probably would have jumped at the chance because I just loved basketball and still do. Never dunked in a hs game but could do it in warmups and did it several times in tournaments I played in during college, which was like a dream come true. So dreamy I hung on the rim a bit too long and they T'd me up lol. Ive had my stints with golfing as well but haven't done much in the last several years. My exciting accomplishment with golf happened about 7 years ago when I was playing a lot and had my handicap down to about 4, I entered our club championship even though I never play in tourneys, and I went out the first day and shot a 69 which was about 6 strokes better than I had ever done. I was leading the tourney out of the first flight, went out day two trying to not embarrass myself and was 3 under through the first 9 holes before succumbing to the pressure and having a catastrophic downfall to finish with a 75 for the day which was good enough to tie me with the guy that won it out of the champ flight. I was good with that! As for other sports I've always deer hunted with my dad which has offered more cherished memories than it actually has trophy deer.

Like everyone else, I had to go pro in something else so I chose being a civil engineer. worked for a local firm for 3 years then found a sales engineer gig where I sell construction products for a company out of ohio that makes pipe, bridges, etc. I really like seeing people and this gave me about 500 more people to see vs sitting in an office each day. Outside of work these days I coach my daughters basketball and softball teams and try to spend the rest of my time with the other kids. We vacation a lot because you cant take it with you and the memories last forever. I also spend entirely too much time on this board but I figure its a harmless use of my free time and I really enjoy talking UK basketball. That's about it for me, i'm a pretty funny guy that loves people, sports, and good times.
    Go Cats!

--I'm 52 years old, grew up in Greenup County, graduated from Russell High School;

--Went to Centre College thinking I might want to get into politics, but learned how the sausage was made and decided it wasn't for me. Still graduated with a BA in Government;

--Went to UK College of Law, graduating with my JD in 1988;

--Served in the Navy JAG Corps for 3 years after graduation, doing Legal Assistance, defense and prosecution in the Caribbean, stationed at Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico (tough duty, but someone had to do it);

--Came back to Kentucky and practiced at a small firm in Bowling Green for 3 years, a mid-sized firm in Louisville for 5 years, then had the opportunity to come back to the military and practice in Legal Assistance, so I've been at Fort Knox doing that since 2000;

--Married to the lovely Mrs. BEvans for 27 years (and counting), and we have 2 children, one of whom graduated from UK and is currently serving in the Navy, and the other will be graduating from WKU in May;

--My 1st UK-related memory was turning on the TV and seeing Coach Rupp's final home game in 1972. The announcers were talking about him reverently and all of his accomplishments, and I was so proud of him and our team. Been a fan ever since;

--Besides UK sports, I like piddling around with tech stuff and I've developed an interest in genealogy in the last few years. I'm currently working on getting my documentation together to submit my Sons of the American Revolution application;

--My big claim to fame: went to high school with Billy Ray Cyrus. Back then he was just Bill Cyrus and his claim to fame was playing WR on our state championship football team (and dating the prom queen).
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    Boy do I have an idea for you...it involves little brother school down the road and late nights with Katina Powell's posse.
    Booooooy, don't you know it. We mostly try to stick to a PG or at worse PG-13, so that might be a tad difficult.

Really do enjoy reading about everyone, this should be posted on all boards so everyone can see it and post.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Joined the original board with Rainman then just transferred over.
    Seems like I have been around since the late 90's, really view this board as an extended family all great great people.
    Be careful with that, I hear you can get some time behind bars for such a collection Love having you on the board I think your comments are always thought provoking and you express your own opinions and not the status quo. How long have you been here?
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Just re-read mine and realized I did not include my name, which is Richard

I found this group around 2000 take or give a year and especially liked the UBB days. I met a few people from those days when UK played an annual game in Cincinnati, notably Big Ron and Nikki, though, UKFaninCincinnati was very kind. Can't forget the man, the myth and the legend of Smokey Pearl either. He was always friendly to me.

Getting to know you-ksr edition

Well lets see first off my name is Mark. I was born in Springfield MO. My father was a MO. state trooper, and his father was the sheriff of Polk County MO. in a Mayberry type town (Fairplay MO.). As the times began to change and my parents family started to grow, after roughly 10 years on the job my father made a career change in order to be able to provide more for his family.

The company that he began to work for transferred him/us from Springfield to Paducah Ky. at the end of my 2nd grade year. We lived in Paducah until half way through my 6th grade year. It was in Paducah that I was introduced to The University Of Kentucky Wildcats. I went to Catholic school and started playing basketball in our parochial league in the third grade, as well as little league baseball and Jr. Pro golf at Rolling Hills CC. I mention that because my claim to fame came in Paducah, Russ Cochran and I were classmates and team mates in basketball and and baseball, but oddly we never played golf together. Mid way through my 6th grade year, and as my father moved up through the company he worked for, we transferred to the "mecca of college basketball" Lexington Kentucky!! We lived there through my senior year in high school (1976), and shortly after I graduated from Lexington Catholic HS my father transferred to Louisville Ky. I had the option to stay in Lexington and attend UK, or move to Louisville...I chose the latter.

After knocking around Louisville for a couple of years I got the ultimatum - get to work or get to school, again I chose the latter. My family enjoyed boating my entire life and with that I formed an extreme fondness for the water, I was SCUBA certified in the 6Th grade, so I decided to pursue a career in the water. At that point I moved to Doc's neck of the woods, Jensen Beach FL. where I enrolled at The Florida Institute of Technology into thier underwater technology program (commercial diving). After leaving FIT I worked underwater for several years, at the time the industry was the wild wild west and very dangerous with not a lot of regulatory over sight, so I decided to re-evaluate my priorities and decided they included a long life, so i bailed and fell back on what I did while in college(bartending) while I decided a direction.

That direction brought me out of the gulf and back to Louisville, at which point I fell into the hospitality biz where I did really well managing restaurants and bars and decided to make a stand where I stayed for the next 15 plus years. At some point I decided it was time to get a "real" job and through the many contacts that I made during my years in the hospitality industry, I changed course and took a job in MFG located in New Albany IN where I've lived and worked for the last 19 years. I'm Coating Systems MGR for a family owned steel fabrication company that has been in business for 100+ years. The department I'm responsible for consists of an electro-deposition (ecoat) system where we are suppliers to automotive, appliance, and lawn implement manufactures. Currently we are producing about 10 million sq/ft a year which is comprised of roughly 75% automotive (Ford, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, BMW) 20% appliance(GE, Whirlpool) and the balance being in lawn and garden, and specialty items.

Somewhere in all that I had a wonderful daughter from my first marriage, which lasted about twenty minutes. My daughter was born and raised in Louisville served in the Navy for four years, and graduated from UL (hold on!! she's true blue through and through!!) she sandwiched the Navy with JCC and UL. She married a Navy man who is taking the full ride. They gave us a grandson (5) and granddaughter (8). They are currently stationed at Great Lakes IL where shes in grad school at Loyola (I'm very proud of both of them), I remarried 10 years ago in May, my wife has two grown children and her son gave us a grandson who's 5 and lives here in the LA.... there's tons more but you'll have to get the book, or watch the cartoon when they come out.

As stated earlier in the thread, "what a long strange trip it's been" ~ Jerry Garcia, and me
    Last edited by blueboss; 03-04-2016 at 06:52 AM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Very cool blueboss
    Go Cats!

Come on boys (and girls), time to pony up......
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Come on boys (and girls), time to pony up......
    I think we have a lot of old money here. You know, Howard Hughes recluse types?

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I was born and raised in Whitley co. Have lived in Kentucky all my life. I am 62 years old and was raised on a hillside farm, where I was no stranger to a mule! I graduated from high school and was enrolled at Cumberland College at the ripe old age of 15. I attended there for 2 years and dropped out and got a job on a surface coal mine and worked at that occupation till I became disabled with a back injury a few years ago. I've operated just about any kind of heavy equipment that can be used in the surface mining industry. I saw my first bulldozer when I was about 4. It was an old D 6 Caterpillar that was owned by TVA and it broke down while they were working on our place and I played on it for a month or so, until they got it repaired. During this time, I decided dozer operating was what I wanted to do when I grew up and I never got away from that desire. I could have had a scholarship to go to veterinarian school and passed it up to become an equipment operator. I have always loved to hunt and have hunted just about every kind of critter around at some time or other. I play banjo, Mandolin, guitar, dobro and a little fiddle. I'm not really good on any of them, but probably better on banjo than the others. I have always loved horses and owned them for most of my life, until messed my back up. For years I did farrier work on the side. I also did some electrical work on the side, as well as some welding and mechanic work. I have been married for 45 years to my wonderful wife and have 3 children, 2 daughters and 1 son. I have been the adult Sunday School teacher at the Church I attend for almost 35 years. I have been an avid Cat fan since I was just a small child and listened to them on an old battery powered cabinet type radio, with my father who was one of the biggest Ky fans that I've seen.

Fab Five

Blueboss, if you knew Russ Cochran in Paducah, did you also know Doug Bell? His dad was Gabby and I believe did sports at WPSD.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Blueboss, if you knew Russ Cochran in Paducah, did you also know Doug Bell? His dad was Gabby and I believe did sports at WPSD.
    Not that I recall, keep in mind it was 3rd through 6th grade. We went to St Thomas Moore grade school. I don't recall a Doug in our class. I'm not sure where or when Russ started his golf, my family belonged to Rolling Hills CC and he was not a member there at least while I lived in Paducah.

We were also in the same Cub Scout troop.

I'll see if I can find our little league photo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fab Five

Not that I recall, keep in mind it was 3rd through 6th grade. We went to St Thomas Moore grade school. I don't recall a Doug in our class. I'm not sure where or when Russ started his golf, my family belonged to Rolling Hills CC and he was not a member there at least while I lived in Paducah.

Doug was a golfing buddy of Russ', so it may have been HS when they were friends. Doug's dad, Gabby did play by play for the Birmingham Barons. Doug moved to Birmingham after he married, did TV sports and now is a free-lance golf analyst for ESPN radio and does some basketball on lesser telecasts.

How about Clay Robinson, do you know him. I worked for Clay at his engineering firm for 3 years when I got out of school. He is friends with Russ I believe from school days so I wondered if you knew him?
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
    I was born and raised in Whitley co. Have lived in Kentucky all my life. I am 62 years old and was raised on a hillside farm, where I was no stranger to a mule! I graduated from high school and was enrolled at Cumberland College at the ripe old age of 15. I attended there for 2 years and dropped out and got a job on a surface coal mine and worked at that occupation till I became disabled with a back injury a few years ago. I've operated just about any kind of heavy equipment that can be used in the surface mining industry. I saw my first bulldozer when I was about 4. It was an old D 6 Caterpillar that was owned by TVA and it broke down while they were working on our place and I played on it for a month or so, until they got it repaired. During this time, I decided dozer operating was what I wanted to do when I grew up and I never got away from that desire. I could have had a scholarship to go to veterinarian school and passed it up to become an equipment operator. I have always loved to hunt and have hunted just about every kind of critter around at some time or other. I play banjo, Mandolin, guitar, dobro and a little fiddle. I'm not really good on any of them, but probably better on banjo than the others. I have always loved horses and owned them for most of my life, until messed my back up. For years I did farrier work on the side. I also did some electrical work on the side, as well as some welding and mechanic work. I have been married for 45 years to my wonderful wife and have 3 children, 2 daughters and 1 son. I have been the adult Sunday School teacher at the Church I attend for almost 35 years. I have been an avid Cat fan since I was just a small child and listened to them on an old battery powered cabinet type radio, with my father who was one of the biggest Ky fans that I've seen.
    That all sounds like music to my ears. Way to follow your heart and do what you wanted, sounds like you have had a full life!
    Go Cats!

Fab Five

That all sounds like music to my ears. Way to follow your heart and do what you wanted, sounds like you have had a full life!
    I hope it's not full yet!!

How about Clay Robinson, do you know him. I worked for Clay at his engineering firm for 3 years when I got out of school. He is friends with Russ I believe from school days so I wondered if you knew him?
    No Robinsons at St Thomas Moore when I was there in the 6th grade.

Bump for those wanting to post a bio

Wow, this is cool.

1st cousin (once removed) to a certain (former) sports editor at a certain newspaper in a certain Lexington KY. There, got that out of the way.

Grew up in a place I won't claim in central KY. Lived in Lex for 7 years (attended Transy, UK, LCC and EKU and a few bars). Business Degree from UK, Associates in Architectural Design from LCC and had enough hours for a few more if I'd stuck around another year. I liked the college life. A lot.

Once had a former governor's wife and a prominent female attorney get on stage at Breedings(?) and dedicate "Friends in Low Places" to me and a few buddies who shared a "roadhouse" on Delong road

Lived in Boyle County 7 years (Liked it a lot) been in Bourbon City for 9 years now. Not sure about it yet but I suspect I'll always have roots here.

Dad was a district judge - that was interesting growing up. Needless to say I didn't get a way with anything.

First job (6th grade) was in a cemetery. I have been in construction, owned a restaurant, worked in Marketing for Panasonic but mostly been a commercial real estate developer.

I'm a Halloween baby and I make a bunch of noise about it every year

I'm 45, usually accused of being younger - except when my beard is white

2nd marriage, one awesome 17 YO daughter from 1st. Shes everything I hope to be when I grow up. Wife is a Nurse Practitioner who is incredible at what she does but carries it with her every minute of every day.

Will never get to do what I want to do professionally since I have taken over the family business, but I try to make the most of my spare time

Scuba diver since I was 16, Beekeeper, Early Bronco builder (66-77), love to sing, socialize, goof off and generally not act my age. Recently became RVers. Love our dogs (4) and cats (4). I have been playing Santa Claus since I was 19.

Shave my head, have a glorious beard (for me), tattoos and all that stuff. Big and often loud. Glad I am not the country club type I was around too much growing up

Dream job, to be a dive master on Cayman Brac. I get a little sick every time I say that.

Love this board because there aren't a bunch of %&@^%#%!&%s on here. At the end of the day we show one another respect and that is worth a hell of a lot to me.

Politically I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Sort of... I guess. I jut know that there is no one for me to vote for, ever.

claun.jpggnomw.jpgsnara.jpg
    Last edited by Jeeepcat; 05-04-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Sorry for replying to the posts and taking up space, but I couldn't help myself since I asked the questions. I love reading everyones individual stories and how they became who they are, really lends more to their voice when I read their posts. I tend to really like interacting with all types. With that, i'll give a little background on myself...

Name is Michael, I grew up in Livingston County which is near Paducah which was the idea behind my screen name of course. I actually chose the alternate spelling to simplify my screen name from paducahcat because it just didn't look right, and chief paduke was the founder of the city so I went with it. I'm 39 years old and am married with 3 children ages 14, 13, and 9. The eldest as you may recall is a young man we just recently adopted from china. Here is the blog link that takes you through the process http://hereiammyson.blogspot.com/, and my entries are pretty much only while I was in china, but its a good read and pretty interesting if you want to understand the process and what it takes you through. Its been a journey for sure and he is doing well getting adjusted. My other son age 13 is the sweetest kid ever and seems to be a natural with singing and playing piano, and the youngest is my 9 year old daughter who is one heck of an athlete.

I really have a boring story in that I grew up with a great childhood with tons of friends spending their summers together playing ball and riding bikes. Great parents who were supportive but let us become who we wanted to be. I LOVED playing ball and pretty much spent my childhood doing nothing but this, usually in my own yard or driveway. Played baseball for my hs team and we had a good group that took our little county to the state by defeating the likes of the larger schools such as Henderson, Christian Co, etc. Ended up losing to Owensboro Apollo when they had brad Wilkerson who went on to hit for the cycle in the majors. I played shortstop for us usually but moved around the infield depending on our pitchers. Never hit a home run at any level until our senior year and my first one was a game winner. Had a full scholarship to a small school but decided I didn't want to leave my friends and just wanted to focus on school. I was about the same level player in basketball, had a few fine moments such as hitting a 3 pointer to win a game. 6'1" white dudes from rural counties on ho-hum teams don't get a lot of scholarship offers but I was good enough to play some small college ball and probably would have jumped at the chance because I just loved basketball and still do. Never dunked in a hs game but could do it in warmups and did it several times in tournaments I played in during college, which was like a dream come true. So dreamy I hung on the rim a bit too long and they T'd me up lol. Ive had my stints with golfing as well but haven't done much in the last several years. My exciting accomplishment with golf happened about 7 years ago when I was playing a lot and had my handicap down to about 4, I entered our club championship even though I never play in tourneys, and I went out the first day and shot a 69 which was about 6 strokes better than I had ever done. I was leading the tourney out of the first flight, went out day two trying to not embarrass myself and was 3 under through the first 9 holes before succumbing to the pressure and having a catastrophic downfall to finish with a 75 for the day which was good enough to tie me with the guy that won it out of the champ flight. I was good with that! As for other sports I've always deer hunted with my dad which has offered more cherished memories than it actually has trophy deer.

Like everyone else, I had to go pro in something else so I chose being a civil engineer. worked for a local firm for 3 years then found a sales engineer gig where I sell construction products for a company out of ohio that makes pipe, bridges, etc. I really like seeing people and this gave me about 500 more people to see vs sitting in an office each day. Outside of work these days I coach my daughters basketball and softball teams and try to spend the rest of my time with the other kids. We vacation a lot because you cant take it with you and the memories last forever. I also spend entirely too much time on this board but I figure its a harmless use of my free time and I really enjoy talking UK basketball. That's about it for me, i'm a pretty funny guy that loves people, sports, and good times.
    Michael Johnson I never knew it was you. Glad to know now.

Kevin Crider
    Follow me on Twitter @krcrider

Copied and pasted from the premium forum.

Attachment 5517

First Name: Michael
    Occupation: Gov't Security for almost 17 years. I've also worked in the Food industry, been a car salesman, & local law enforcement.
    Grew up in: Salem, Indiana...It's one of those small towns that you can't wait to grow up, and get out of, but then feel very nostalgic about, and often miss.
    Live in: New Albany, Indiana for 20 years. Lived near Chicago during college.
    Hobbies besides UK everything: Musician = Guitar, Bass, Harmonica, & a little bit of Mandolin. I also love singing. I'm the Worship Pastor at my Church. Love to Fish and Golf, but seldom have the time anymore. I'm also a "Home Chef". I do all the cooking at my house, & specialize in Asian and Latin foods, but I can cook anything.
    Marital Status: Married to my best friend for 20 years!
    Children: One 18 year old daughter, who has zero interest in sports...lol. She always leaned towards fine arts...dancing, acting, music, painting. She's studying to be an elementary school teacher.
    Favorite UK Player of all time: Jamal Mashburn
    Favorite thing about this forum: The intelligence and overall demeanor of the members. There are plenty of UK fans that give UK fans a bad name. You won't find many of them here!
    Favorite Place to Visit: St. Augustine Florida...my family and I have been vacationing there for years! I love everything about it! The history, the Architecture, the laid back atmosphere.
    Favorite Food: I love, love, love food...but...when it comes right down to it, it's hard to beat a perfectly cooked steak!
    Favorite Teams besides UK: Love Notre Dame Football, Colts Football, Pacers Basketball, & Cubs Baseball.
    Misc:Was stung by a wasp at age 4 and had a severe allergic reaction. The medicine that the doctors gave me to fight it, i was also allergic to. The combination put me into a coma for 9 months. Long story short...the morning they were going to pull the plug on my life support...I woke up. Had to learn to walk and talk again. I currently suffer pretty bad with allergies, and subsequently am allergic to every antibiotic or painkiller i've ever taken. I try not to get hurt or sick...hahaha!

Fell in love with basketball in the 1st grade, when I saw that all the girls always watched and cheered for the boys playing basketball at recess. I literally lived, breathed and ate basketball all the way up to my knee injury at 21 years old. Went to a small Christian School in highschool. Basketball was our only sport and we played and traveled all over the US playing other small Christian Schools from about the first week of school to the last week...sometimes twice a week!

Was accepted to UK for College and was going to Walk On the team. I had an Uncle who worked for the Basketball team during the Joe B years, and he was connected enough to get me a shot. I ended up not taking it and instead went to College near Chicago. Once in College, I was on an Athletic & Academic scholarship. My grades started slipping as time went on, and finally enough to lose my scholarships.

I saw the writing on the wall & tried out for and made the Volleyball team, which was going to begin it's inaugural season my Senior year. I completely blew my right knee that summer and went into a depression/funk. I was dating my now wife at the time, and grew so close to her that summer that i couldn't bare to go back...mistakes of youth. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret marrying my wife, just should have waited.

That's when I took up music. Started out playing Bass in bands with friends & family. I wrote a lot of songs/lyrics and constantly had trouble getting somebody to sit down and put it to music. So, I bought an acoustic and taught myself. I've had a few small time record deal offers, had a couple of songs on Louisville radio back in the day, but nothing serious became of it. Now I play the best gig I ever had every single Sunday morning in Church, with my wife on the keyboard and my daughter on the bass!

I've also written a complete Fantasy Novel and a Sitcom, but have never done anything with them. Maybe someday......???

Look forward to seeing what you all post! This is a great group, I think it will be awesome to learn more about each other.

Honestly, I think mine is going to be very boring to most here, as they know my background and history.

-Father of five, married for a long, long, long time, three kids have been adults in the eyes of the law now for years, although two of them still live at home. And two more are still in high school, so we're still a family of six at home.

-Work for myself, and have an office at another law firm as well that allows me to be as flexible as I want. Also teach at two different schools currently (Samford and Jeff State Community College); have taught law school for 16 years as well, and a brief stint in a paralegal and accounting program at a for-profit college; decided I didn't like the feel of it and discontinued teaching there.

-Hobbies include local sports (mostly following kids, for now), high school and club soccer, volleyball, basketball and golf. I like to play basketball once a week with some old guys and their kids who are high school and college-aged, but not the "real good" ones.

-Also enjoy golf, but almost never play now. Daughter has been a member of high school's varsity golf team for two years, but she's not very serious about it.

-Enjoy live theatre. Haven't performed, although may do so when kids all leave the nest and I'm twiddling thumbs looking for things to do, but for now, love watching my daughter perform with one more year of high school remaining. We counted over two dozen plays she has been in, with performances ranging from a weekend to three weeks for each. That's a lot of driving her to and from rehearsals. Similarly, have been a huge high school "show choir" fan, since before the "Glee" TV show started, and after it ended. Have had kids in show choir for ten years; next year will be the 11th and final year, as my youngest son has zero interest in it. Some of my favorite memories are going to little podunk towns like Albertville, Alabama, and seeing my kids compete in an all-day event, extending past midnight, and watching their excitement as they announce winners.

-Born in Paducah, lived in Hopkinsville, but moved away before I was 12 years old. Went to high school in Mobile, then Monroe, La., and college at ULM (then NLU), law school at Tulane, and master's at Miami. I have weird sports allegiances--Kentucky tops all, always has, always will. But I follow ULM football and basketball, and think they do a good job with crappy resources; follow Tulane baseball and basketball (I was there during their infamous cocaine and point-shaving scandal, and had some tiny part in helping to break the story), and Miami football and baseball.

-I coached baseball from an early age, with a Dixie League team when I was 18. When I got out of college, I coached semi-pro baseball in a league that featured some future MLB players, including multi-year all-star Chuck Finley. We beat him every time we played him.

-Since moving on and having kids, I began coaching kids ball, which was the most enjoyable and rewarding of anything I've done. Had a great, great time coaching my middle daughter's "Navy Blue Angels" basketball team for years, which was really special. Coached my youngest son in basketball for eight seasons. Saw him hit 3 free throws with 0.1 seconds remaining in a game against our arch-rival, with us losing by 2, to win the game and be carried off by the crowd. You never forget moments like that, even though he wasn't quite good enough to make his high school basketball team. Coached volleyball for a few years, and even had a stint as a relief coach with a club team owned by the mother of a current UK volleyball player (Olivia Dailey, will be the starting setter for UK next year; her mom is Julie Dailey, owner of Team Sting volleyball club).

-In terms of what I did athletically growing up--not that much. I wish I had been more gifted. I played a little basketball, a little baseball, but whatever hopes I had of being "good" were probably dashed when I was hit in the eye with a rock when I was 9-years old, and developed a trauma-induced cataract where I could not see out of my left eye. I stayed that way, playing sports one-eyed, until I was 26-years old and had an intraocular lens implant. But I doubt it would have made that much difference, anyway. I was always very well coordinated--won my college's tennis tournament, although I had never really played tennis before, was top bowler on the college league, and had good hand-eye coordination. But lacked speed and strength, couldn't jump, and all those athletic ability skills that you need to be good at anything. So I was never great at any "real" sport, just had fun. Probably kept me out of trouble.

-This community has meant a lot to me personally. I'm a friendly person, and have a lot of acquaintances, but honestly, I don't talk to them as much as I do to everyone here. The beauty of this community is we share a strong set of common interests, and we can communicate as is convenient to us all, through the magic of the internetworld. Have had the pleasure of meeting many here, have regrettably not met many as well. I always enjoy going to a UK bowl game and the SEC basketball tournament because it usually means a several day stay and the ability to interact with UK friends from here.

That's about it for me. Much longer than I intended, and I bet 99% of it was known by 99% of the people here already.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 05-04-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Name - Niki
    Born and raised in Morehead, KY. I am 44 years old (but feel like I am about 19.) Married the love of my life - Ron Whisman (Big Ron W) - at age 19. He introduced me to this board in 2001. One of the things that attracted us to each other was our deep love of all things UK. We also both loved the Beatles. It was love at first site. We met and went on a date on a Friday. By Monday we were living together and were engaged 3 weeks later. We were married 4 months later - only because Ron was sent to South Korea for 2 months for his job. We were extremely happy for 13 years - until he died from chronic myelogenous leukemia. He died at age 38. I was 32. It has been 12 years and I am still not over losing him. We had one child - Alec -who will be 24 in August - who is not a sports fan - but he does try to at least know what sport's season it is just to placate me. He is currently living in Lexington, KY - where he is the head of student printing for UK. He is constantly having to go to Wildcat lodge to fix printing issues - and yet he has never gotten me tickets! (lol)
    I am a high risk labor and delivery, antepartum, post-partum, newborn nursery, and level 2 nicu nurse. I worked at UK for 15 years - then became a travel nurse. In 2010 I remarried. His name is Doug - and he is a private security contractor. He is nothing like Ron - but he loves me and that is important. I now have 3 step-children - Janna -21, Atticus -19, and Decklan- 14.Since we married we have moved 6 times. We have lived in California (L.A. and Fresno), Montana(Kalispell), Washington State,(Seattle, Everett, and Yelm), and Idaho (Coeur D'Alene), as well as KY. I am currently living in Morehead, KY due to my father and father in law both having terminal illnesses. I am still travel nursing - with my current job in Hazard, KY. I stay there 3 days per week with the other days spent in Morehead. I am also in graduate school - through Eastern Ky University - attempting to get my Family Nurse Practitioner degree. I hope to finish in May 2018. I am just finishing up my second class. I can say right now I hate this class. It is all about research and statistics. Only one more class like that I may possibly enjoy the program. As soon as I am finished and pass boards - I plan to move back out west - to Montana or Idaho. My heart is in the mountains.
    I started loving UK basketball as a small child - listening to Cawood on the radio with my father and grandfather. I cant pick my favorite player. I love football - especially college football. I used to really love baseball - but now I only care during the world series. I do however like going to baseball games.

I originally had a vocal music scholarship coming out of high school. I wanted to be a choral director - but due throat issues it became apparent I needed to change my major. I think I made a good decision with the nursing profession.

My hobbies are reading (especially biographies, true crime, history), watching sports, and animals. I have 3 dogs - a german shepherd, a redbone coonhound, and beagle mix - but could honestly end up an animal hoarder if left to my own devices. I had a cat - but my step son Atticus took it when he moved in with Alec. Atticus is a freshman at UK.

Sorry if this is the most rambling thing ever written. I just finished a 10 page paper and a power point presentation for grad school - so I used all of my editing eye for those 2 assignments.
    Last edited by uklandrn; 05-04-2016 at 07:51 PM.
    I'm keeping Receipts!!

One and Done

Name - Greg Marret
    Current City - Knoxville, TN
    Age - 52

I was born in Owensboro, Ky. At an early age, my father was transferred to Terre Haute, In. After several years of working in industry, my father chose to enter the ministry. So, yes, I am a baptist preachers kid. Growing-up we moved several times in various locations in Southern IN and Western KY. I was not the typical preacher's kid. I wasn't the meanest kid on the block but I surely wasn't interested in following my father in the ministry!

My father was a huge UK basketball fan and I fell in love with it while watching it with him. Living in Huntingburg, IN in the mid 70's and being a UK fan was not always fun. I guess I heard every stupid KY joke around. However, I enjoyed living there and sports were a big part of my growing-up. High School basketball was huge and we had some really nice teams.

After my freshman year, we moved back to Owensboro. My senior year, we moved west to Marion, KY. Sports were a large part of my high school experience. They allowed my to adapt to a new school and aclimate into the student body (I went to three high schools). I had opportunities to play college football but mainly with division III schools such as Centre College in Danville.

My wife and I met at Murray State where I studied business with a major in accounting. We have been married for almost 30 years and we have two teenage daughters. I married well above my station in life!

We have lived in Knoxville, TN for 28 years. No, I do not cheer for the ugly orange. I tried for a brief period of time but I just couldn't do it! However, Knoxville is a great city which has become home. I have a small accounting firm that services a variety of small to medium sized businesses.

Besides following UK sports, I spend a fair amount of time on the soccer field with my daughters. When I can get away, I enjoy all things outdoors. Flyfishing is my first passion but I also enjoy hunting and recreational shooting.

I've been a member of this board for several years. I really like the discussion without all of the drama. We don't always agree but we all want to see our cats do well. We all get frustrated at times but often, that is just a sign of our passion for our Cats.

I have been blessed to have found a good friend who has tickets to Rupp. I typically get to a couple of games a year. I usually get to go to one of the big games each year. My favorite game was the UNC game when Anthony Davis blocked the shot to end the game. I think my hearing was damaged when the arena went absolutely crazy.

[QUOTE/] hope to finish in May 2018. I am just finishing up my second class. I can say right now I hate this class. It is all about research and statistics. Only one more class like that I may possibly enjoy the program. As soon as I am finished and pass boards - I plan to move back out west - to Montana or Idaho. My heart is in the mountains.
    I started loving UK basketball as a small child - listening to Cawood on the radio with my father and grandfather. I cant pick my favorite player. I love football - especially college football. I used to really love baseball - but now I only care during the world series. I do however like going to baseball games.

I originally had a vocal music scholarship coming out of high school. I wanted to be a choral director - but due throat issues it became apparent I needed to change my major. I think I made a good decision with the nursing profession.

My hobbies are reading (especially biographies, true crime, history), watching sports, and animals. I have 3 dogs - a german shepherd, a redbone coonhound, and beagle mix - but could honestly end up an animal hoarder if left to my own devices. I had a cat - but my step son Atticus took it when he moved in with Alec. Atticus is a freshman at UK.

Sorry if this is the most rambling thing ever written. I just finished a 10 page paper and a power point presentation for grad school - so I used all of my editing eye for those 2 assignment.[/QUOTE]

True story lol. My wife is an NP and her family calls her Niki :-)

She got her masters at UK 03-06 and we started dating like the month before.

The first day of class she looked at me and said "it's a shame really, I really like you but I don't think you'll make it through this"

....I had no idea lmao

Her worst, most miserable class was applied statistics taught by a professor whose English was beyond broken.

It was so bad that by the time it was done I had my own notebook filled up from her notes, tests and assignments. I had also contacted my stats professor from 8 years earlier and he couldn't decipher much of what the professor was doing.

She made it, you'll make it.

I truly believe that great nurses are born and made into super heroes through living it. I am sure your one of those ;-) (not that you need my validation lol)

JeepCat - I so appreciate your words of encouragement. I needed that this morning. Some days my resolve to finish this degree leaves me. I am hoping I can just keep on keeping on for a little longer. I look forward to being the 2nd Niki NP that you are acquainted with!
    I'm keeping Receipts!!

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    lived in Hopkinsville, but moved away before I was 12 years old
    Did not know this. Let me know if you ever return. You can buy my lunch. I doubt it has changed much since you left....

Was in Hoptown for Dad's funereal in December. The strip to Tennessee was bigger and exhibit A against car oriented sprawl.

Driving south on 41A from Adams grocery in Mortons Gap to Hopkinsville still echoed my trips from 50 years ago, although Mannington is a burnt out ruin. Maybe it always was?

Ma & Pa Adams' house was still 20' from 41A, and, while I wasnt born in the back of a Grayhound bus travellin down hiway 41, I surely was sleeping in that front bedroom when the old dog and the newborn Dickie Betts sang by. When Emmylou Harris sings, "listening to the trucks as they roll down 95 and pretending it's the ocean'", she doesnt know half of it. Those semi truck tires would sing all night long and would rattle the walls and windows as they went by.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Michael Johnson I never knew it was you. Glad to know now.

Kevin Crider
    Ha yep it's me, you're the one that introduced me to this board so I've tried to drop some hints in the past but I guess they weren't too obvious.