Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting to know you-ksr edition

Ok gang, since we rarely get to know anything about one another outside of our opinions of uk basketball I thought it would be cool to start a thread we could hold on to as a way to get to know each other a bit more. I've always found it means a lot more to understand where people come from, what they value, what they do for a living, etc. so this is my effort to put a proverbial face with a name and build on the community of fine people we have built here! This is your chance to tell us something cool about yourself so let's hear it, who's first?
    Go Cats!

Re: Getting to know you-ksr edition

I paid my way thru UK by doing Calvin Klien underwear ads.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    See, it's already working, everyone is going to feel so much closer to you now!
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    See, it's already working, everyone is going to feel so much closer to you now!
    But there are some things we really don't WANT to know

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    But there are some things we really don't WANT to know
    I was kind of hoping for something from doc like...I'm a vetrinarian, love bourbon and uk basketball, I'm have a side job as a recruitnik, I taught Steph curry how to shoot, etc
    Go Cats!

I'm not wearing underwear.
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Go Cats!

Well we know one thing about everyone so far. We're a bunch of wise asses.

Something about me? I've turned a series of debilitating social disorders into a career. (borrowed that line from Martin Mull talking about Robin Williams)
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Obviously way back then tuition was next to nothing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Obviously way back then tuition was next to nothing....

Not just the tuition...
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

HI, My name is Flounder and I'm an alcohol....

Oh, it's not THAT meeting.

Actually, I don't drink alcohol. I've just never found any that I liked. i guess o have enough other issues that I didn't need that one

That's OK Flounder, I plan on drinking enough to make up for you.

Seriously I will go weeks without a beer, but I've always had a huge tolerance so I can go out and drink all day and it rarely catches up with me.

Now if I ever get to the Keys permanently I plan on taking it up as my primary hobby.

Rupp's Runt

Padukacat, I'll go first

36 years old
    From Muhlenberg County (Greenville)
    Occupation - IT at Hopkinsville Community College / part time farmer / part time youth leader
    Married to a woman that thankfully loves sports
    Children - 18 month old girl, debating on #2

Chipping away at a Master's degree...but not sure why...

Baseball is my favorite sport in general but prefer following UK Basketball the most.

Love old cars - I have a 65 Mustang that I hope to restore again in a few years. And trying to figure out a way to get an early model bronco without getting a divorce.

I can tell you this:

"what a long strange trip it's been"

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Since I can not think of a worthy wise crack, I will break the trend and mention a few things about myself besides my UK sports fandom.

62 years old, and yes I do my own typing on this computer. I grew up on a small farm and at the country standard of 12 years old, I drove a tractor, hauled hay, cut, spiked, and housed tobacco to earn money that was mine to spend as I saw fit. My family was not really poor, but we did not have a lot of extras either so working at that age was very common. At 16 I got my water safety instructor certificate, and for the next 6 years I was either going to school or working as a life guard and also giving private swimming lessons at the pool. That might give some insight as to why I do not like the beach at this stage in my life. I did not finish college and have not gone back to get a degree in something. The campus climate in the early 70's was not really conducive to study and class attendance. I was paying my own way, but the classes really did not interest me, and I did not have the proper determination to make college work for me in those days. Left college and worked in the carpentry and heavy construction trade for a few years. If it had tracks, wheels, a bucket, or forks I could drive it and operate the attachments before I left that trade. That led to a couple of my hobbies which are cabinetry, furniture making, and welding. I love doing any of them when I have time. My other real hobby is picture taking. I would call it photography, but I feel that would discredit real photographers who make a study of the craft and produce stunning images. I just play at it for fun.

Married to the same lady for 39 years, and the good Lord willing, we will celebrate our 40th in the same place we took our honeymoon. We have one daughter, one son in law and 3 grand children. Under the sun, there is nothing like having grandchildren of your own. I really look forward to my time spent with them, and then I can send them home. I call them my rental kids. Fun and little to no downside, except they love the beach.

After leaving the construction trade, I got involved in the retail side of production agriculture. Worked in one job for 25 years, and now, while still involved on the production agriculture side of careers, I have spent 15 years doing a completely different job than what I started out doing. If you have never worked around and with farmers in this country, you have really missed a great experience. They are truly the salt of the earth, hard working, and the biggest gamblers this country has. The average farmer gets 50-55, on average, chances to make a profit from his labors. He gambles that the seed he plants will emerge from the ground and produce a product he can sell. He gambles that the growing season will not be too wet, too dry, too cold, or too hot and he does all of this will a smile on his face, ever ready to help someone in need.

I hope to retire from public work in a few years and then work full time creating furniture and cabinetry for sale, as well as working as a small shop welder that can fix your broken lawnmower deck, weld a cracked car frame, or build lifetime guarantee smokers for the BBQ crowd.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I grew up on a small farm and at the country standard of 12 years old, I drove a tractor, hauled hay, cut, spiked, and housed tobacco to earn money that was mine to spend as I saw fit. My family was not really poor, but we did not have a lot of extras either so working at that age was very common.
    That all sounds really familiar

I hope to be done with my basement before then, but at my current rate, I'll let you build my cabinets if you want

dan, big mistake to tell me you're a welder. It's a skill I've always wanted to learn, now I have a teacher.

I'm also going to bug my uncles to show me, they're farmers and amazingly talented at metal work and about everything else.

My father was a master upholsterer after learning from some old men building fine furniture at a factory in Louisville. he also taught the trade and it's likely anyone within fifty miles from our area learned from him or his many apprentices. i'm talking hand folded diamond tufting and a guy who could spit long black tacks using a magnetic tack hammer nearly as fast as I fire an air staple gun. Amazing. he relayed the story to me of his first day on the job when he was given the chore of tacking on a black bottom (dust cover) of chairs. He was was taking an individual tack and sticking it to the hammer and driving it in with a single blow, thinking he was doing great, when the old man said "if you're going to work here you have to spit those tacks son"

He proceeded to put a handful in his mouth and quickly bring the magnetic hammer to his lips spitting the head onto the thing and driving them in as quick as his motion would allow.
    Dad asked the man, "won't they hurt me if swallow some of them?" To which he replied, "oh they won't hurt going down, it's them coming out that gets ya'"

Dad learned quickly and never swallowed any tacks.

I followed in his footsteps when I finished school and have upholstered more fine furniture in my life than you would believe and back in the seventies expanded into auto interiors, boats, and about anything related to upholstery. I even have a mohair interior my cousin and I created in an auto museum at Swope motors in E-town.

Yep I followed in dad's footsteps there, and also inherited some of his genes in becoming a semi-professional musician. He was a great guitarist in the mold of Chet Atkins and Merle Travis. Once he and Joe Maphis (a country legend) played a double neck guitar together at a show in a place called the Gold City Opry here by Fort Knox. I mean they each played the same guitar at the same time. Dad really enjoyed that since Joe was one of his idols back in the day.
    He gave up playing out much since he felt it wasn't as unto to the Lord.or at least that's what I believe.

Myself, I've done two 45 rpm records (vinyl) back in the 80's (1981-82) and some back ground tracks for local TV stations in Louisville, as well as played in some successful bands here in the State. Let's just say any royalties I garnered writing and performing were not denting BMI's checking account.

And I refused to go on the road full time, instead working regionally doing two or three nighters and the occasional VFW dance or what have ya'. Back then you had to live the life out on the road to succeed in the industry. I chose differently, and besides, I got married and started building a family thank God.

I still play my Strat some however.

So I'm kind of a chip off the old block you could say. The Cats were always a part of my life from the time Rupps Runts came to be. That's about the earliest basketball season I can recall, although there are bits and pieces of a couple prior to that. Being a child, that loss to Texas Western disappointed me so much that I somehow believe that's what endeared me to the program. It had become a quest to win every game and I felt I had embarked on it with the same dedication as the coaches and players. And I loved Uncle Adolph like he was my own family. That loss in particular magnified, and possibly over exaggerated the importance of winning for me. That final loss of every season, brings back the same sick feeling in the pit of my stomach I felt that particular evening.

That's why I'm always totally invested in winning the NCAA title, to avoid the sick feeling of a final loss I had as a kid.
    And why I am rejuvenated just like all of you are when each season starts anew.

I also have a grown daughter and son who each provided Donna and I with six wonderful grandchildren (four and two respectively). The oldest is Abby who just turned ten...three days after I turned sixty.

God has blessed me with everything I need in life. And gave me some very good friends here that have helped me get by mentally, and otherwise.
    Last edited by kingcat; 02-26-2016 at 10:21 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I'm very much enjoying the biographies. I hope this continues. I will post mine sometime when I have a chance and I'm not posting by phone.

See this is why I wanted to do this, the people here seem sharp and usually that means very cool stories and interest, love it! On the other hand I should look like the most boring person on earth!

I'll post mine later but I'll leave you with a funny nugget that....my aunt is Cathys clown. Everly Bros song.
    Last edited by Padukacat; 02-27-2016 at 07:57 AM.
    Go Cats!

Born in early 50s in Hopkins Co, KY. Raised in Virginia. Been in Montana almost 40 years. Also lived in Nevada and Oregon.

I was a "car knocker" for a couple of railroads, SCL and BN, for 12 yrs until mid 80's.

I've been a hobo, hoppin freights and hitch- hiking North to south on both coasts and from sea to shining sea more than once.

Went to college became a CPA working for Deloitte Haskins & Sells in Nevada and then coming back to MT and working for the county govt before getting hired at my current job.

I have a full time job as the CFO/Controller/HR /building super/front desk,store, IT and security supervisor at the Museum of the Rockies . That ends after 15 years on June 30.

I'm also a politician. I've held elected office 94-96, 97-01, 04-present. I was also a member of the Montana University System Board of Regents 12-15. I brought a two-year college to Gallatin county, embedded in the 4yr Montana State University.

I have a half hour show KMMS AM 1450 8:30-9am Tuesdays mountain time--it streams. My handle on Twitter is @MayorKrauss and no I am not changing it after finishing my 3rd term in Dec 15. Was elected to a 4th term on the commission, with 75% of the vote, but didnt run for the Mayor's seat this time .

I havent had spare time in 2 decades so I am at more than a bit of a crossroads. Hobbies? What?

Two sons in their 20s who watch the games with me and go to the SEC tourneys with me, and sadly no more, my Dad.

I have some extended family in Hopkins Co, Louisville, Virginia and Florida and that takes me to those places once in a while. But Bozeman's my home and I do feel very lucky to live here and serve here. I've been all around this country and few places compare to Montana and even fewer to Bozeman.

43 years old. I've lived in Campbell County Ky all my life (except when at U.K.). My dad's side of the family has been in this county since about 1841, except for a brief stint in Arizona around 1960.

I like history, volunteering as a board member st a historical society and a museum. Genealogy is fun too.

The Civil War is my main interest. I do collect modern books to read and a few small items (bullets, coins, Confederate money, old newspapers, antique books) as well as Abraham Lincoln items. I don't have anything really big or valuable, but a bunch of stuff I really like. A few things are in the museum where I volunteer, which is pretty cool. I also try to blog about the war and have found a few neat research projects, some still ongoing.

No wife, no kids, and am very happy with that.

I grew up loving baseball and collecting baseball cards. I learned some decnt basic math skills by calculating batting averages, ERAs. etc, though I don't pay as much attention to baseball, even the Reds as I used to. I also like the Bengals, which combined with UK, makes me wonder why (or how) I like football.

At UK, I was in marching band and basketball band, so 4 years of mid-court seats in Rupp was cool. I had a class with Jamal Mashburn, and was able to see his test scores since they retuned papers in last name order. He did pretty good. . I also got to attend the SEC and NCAA tourneys in 1995, as well as the Marty Moore Peach Bowl, so that was cool.

I'm @captainrlm on Twitter, though I mostly read it rather than tweet.
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 02-27-2016 at 09:25 PM.

28 years old, born and raised in Louisville (except for a 6 month stint in St Louis as a wee child).

Graduated from Bellarmine University in '09 with a degree in Communication. Ran the school radio station for 3 years and covered the basketball teams for 2 seasons, first as color and second (much better) as play by play.

Graduated and got into legal videography. My mom's been a court reporter for 20+ years. Did that for 5ish years before the stress of entrepreneurship pushed me to switch careers. I now work in insurance subrogation.

Married in '14 and popped out my first child (well, my wife did), a son, Duncan, this past November.

Huge sci-fi nerd, most prominently Star Wars. I have waaaaay too much knowledge about a fake universe that will never serve me any good.

Major hobbies include short filmmaking and gaming of all sorts (video games, board games, Magic, etc.) Filmmaking is regretfully too rare, though. The crew I work with all have crazy schedules, so we usually just get together once per year for the 48 Hour Film Project, specializing in ridiculous comedy. This is our YouTube page: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCp_yo5xW3sMPMYfOxvZcB8w

I think that's pretty much me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Thedonnie123; 02-27-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Would love to get an invite out to Montana.
    The west is so amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Born in early 50s in Hopkins Co, KY. Raised in Virginia. Been in Montana almost 40 years. Also lived in Nevada and Oregon.

I was a "car knocker" for a couple of railroads, SCL and BN, for 12 yrs until mid 80's.

I've been a hobo, hoppin freights and hitch- hiking North to south on both coasts and from sea to shining sea more than once.

Went to college became a CPA working for Deloitte Haskins & Sells in Nevada and then coming back to MT and working for the county govt before getting hired at my current job.

I have a full time job as the CFO/Controller/HR /building super/front desk,store, IT and security supervisor at the Museum of the Rockies . That ends after 15 years on June 30.

I'm also a politician. I've held elected office 94-96, 97-01, 04-present. I was also a member of the Montana University System Board of Regents 12-15. I brought a two-year college to Gallatin county, embedded in the 4yr Montana State University.

I have a half hour show KMMS AM 1450 8:30-9am Tuesdays mountain time--it streams. My handle on Twitter is @MayorKrauss and no I am not changing it after finishing my 3rd term in Dec 15. Was elected to a 4th term on the commission, with 75% of the vote, but didnt run for the Mayor's seat this time .

I havent had spare time in 2 decades so I am at more than a bit of a crossroads. Hobbies? What?

Two sons in their 20s who watch the games with me and go to the SEC tourneys with me, and sadly no more, my Dad.

I have some extended family in Hopkins Co, Louisville, Virginia and Florida and that takes me to those places once in a while. But Bozeman's my home and I do feel very lucky to live here and serve here. I've been all around this country and few places compare to Montana and even fewer to Bozeman.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Great great idea!

Real name is Donald
    45 years young, been a lifelong UK fan in all sports not just basketball and get this I have never seen a UK basketball game live. Have been to two UK football game and of course they lost both.

Graduated high school in 1988 from Henry co.
    Love the small towns and country atmosphere.
    Have worked in the Auto industry for 26 years and currently employeed as a SR Quality Engineer at a tier 1 seat supplier in Shepherdsville, really enjoy my job it is high stress and very fast pace.

Huge baseball fan and Pittsburgh pirate fan, travel to as many games as possible throughout the season.

Hobbies include collecting baseball memorabilia of all sorts.
    The older I have gotten I have started to enjoy visiting antique shops
    Have a small coke collection.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Real name is Donald
    45 years young, been a lifelong UK fan in all sports not just basketball and get this I have never seen a UK basketball game live. Have been to two UK football game and of course they lost both.

Graduated high school in 1988 from Henry co.
    Love the small towns and country atmosphere.
    Have worked in the Auto industry for 26 years and currently employeed as a SR Quality Engineer at a tier 1 seat supplier in Shepherdsville, really enjoy my job it is high stress and very fast pace.

Huge baseball fan and Pittsburgh pirate fan, travel to as many games as possible throughout the season.

Hobbies include collecting baseball memorabilia of all sorts.
    The older I have gotten I have started to enjoy visiting antique shops
    Have a small coke collection.
    Be careful with that, I hear you can get some time behind bars for such a collection Love having you on the board I think your comments are always thought provoking and you express your own opinions and not the status quo. How long have you been here?
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Thedonnie123 View Post
    28 years old, born and raised in Louisville (except for a 6 month stint in St Louis as a wee child).

Graduated from Bellarmine University in '09 with a degree in Communication. Ran the school radio station for 3 years and covered the basketball teams for 2 seasons, first as color and second (much better) as play by play.

Graduated and got into legal videography. My mom's been a court reporter for 20+ years. Did that for 5ish years before the stress of entrepreneurship pushed me to switch careers. I now work in insurance subrogation.

Married in '14 and popped out my first child (well, my wife did), a son, Duncan, this past November.

Huge sci-fi nerd, most prominently Star Wars. I have waaaaay too much knowledge about a fake universe that will never serve me any good.

Major hobbies include short filmmaking and gaming of all sorts (video games, board games, Magic, etc.) Filmmaking is regretfully too rare, though. The crew I work with all have crazy schedules, so we usually just get together once per year for the 48 Hour Film Project, specializing in ridiculous comedy. This is our YouTube page: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCp_yo5xW3sMPMYfOxvZcB8w

I think that's pretty much me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Boy do I have an idea for you...it involves little brother school down the road and late nights with Katina Powell's posse.
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post

Attachment 5352

Unreal bio man...you have my vote!
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    My father was a master upholsterer after learning from some old men building fine furniture at a factory in Louisville. he also taught the trade and it's likely anyone within fifty miles from our area learned from him or his many apprentices. i'm talking hand folded diamond tufting and a guy who could spit long black tacks using a magnetic tack hammer nearly as fast as I fire an air staple gun. Amazing. he relayed the story to me of his first day on the job when he was given the chore of tacking on a black bottom (dust cover) of chairs. He was was taking an individual tack and sticking it to the hammer and driving it in with a single blow, thinking he was doing great, when the old man said "if you're going to work here you have to spit those tacks son"

He proceeded to put a handful in his mouth and quickly bring the magnetic hammer to his lips spitting the head onto the thing and driving them in as quick as his motion would allow.
    Dad asked the man, "won't they hurt me if swallow some of them?" To which he replied, "oh they won't hurt going down, it's them coming out that gets ya'"

Dad learned quickly and never swallowed any tacks.

I followed in his footsteps when I finished school and have upholstered more fine furniture in my life than you would believe and back in the seventies expanded into auto interiors, boats, and about anything related to upholstery. I even have a mohair interior my cousin and I created in an auto museum at Swope motors in E-town.

Yep I followed in dad's footsteps there, and also inherited some of his genes in becoming a semi-professional musician. He was a great guitarist in the mold of Chet Atkins and Merle Travis. Once he and Joe Maphis (a country legend) played a double neck guitar together at a show in a place called the Gold City Opry here by Fort Knox. I mean they each played the same guitar at the same time. Dad really enjoyed that since Joe was one of his idols back in the day.
    He gave up playing out much since he felt it wasn't as unto to the Lord.or at least that's what I believe.

Myself, I've done two 45 rpm records (vinyl) back in the 80's (1981-82) and some back ground tracks for local TV stations in Louisville, as well as played in some successful bands here in the State. Let's just say any royalties I garnered writing and performing were not denting BMI's checking account.

And I refused to go on the road full time, instead working regionally doing two or three nighters and the occasional VFW dance or what have ya'. Back then you had to live the life out on the road to succeed in the industry. I chose differently, and besides, I got married and started building a family thank God.

I still play my Strat some however.

So I'm kind of a chip off the old block you could say. The Cats were always a part of my life from the time Rupps Runts came to be. That's about the earliest basketball season I can recall, although there are bits and pieces of a couple prior to that. Being a child, that loss to Texas Western disappointed me so much that I somehow believe that's what endeared me to the program. It had become a quest to win every game and I felt I had embarked on it with the same dedication as the coaches and players. And I loved Uncle Adolph like he was my own family. That loss in particular magnified, and possibly over exaggerated the importance of winning for me. That final loss of every season, brings back the same sick feeling in the pit of my stomach I felt that particular evening.

That's why I'm always totally invested in winning the NCAA title, to avoid the sick feeling of a final loss I had as a kid.
    And why I am rejuvenated just like all of you are when each season starts anew.

I also have a grown daughter and son who each provided Donna and I with six wonderful grandchildren (four and two respectively). The oldest is Abby who just turned ten...three days after I turned sixty.

God has blessed me with everything I need in life. And gave me some very good friends here that have helped me get by mentally, and otherwise.
    Very cool stuff here!
    Go Cats!