Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Bible untouched as car burns

Story I just saw on Twitter.

@FoxNews:

Bible undamaged after SUV bursts into flames on Tennessee highway

http://fxn.ws/1L7fvAK http://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/70...919936/photo/1

Now let me add to this story.

My Dad's cousin, Gene, was very close to our family as we were growing up in Paducah. He was not married, and had no family of his own, so he spent a great deal of time with our family.

Gene was a great guy, but not particularly religious. He ran a little wild, but you'd never know it from his visits with us. One Christmas I gave him a Bible for a Christmas gift. He thought it was the greatest gift he had ever received. It zipped up with a cross attached to it.

He talked to me a bunch about it growing up. Of course, I was just a kid, and I was thrilled he loved the Bible I gave him so much. He carried it everywhere, even though he wasn't what most would consider a religious man.

One day he had spent visiting us. It was late, and Dad asked him just to spend the night. Gene said ok, then changed his mind and said he needed to go see some folks across the river that were going to pay him some money he was owed. To this day I don't know what the money was for, but I had the feeling as I grew up it might've had something to do with gambling. Maybe not, I don't know.

Anyway, my Dad gets a call early in the morning. Gene's VW had crashed just off the Brookport bridge from Paducah to Metropolis. The car burned.

Later that day, a Sunday as I recall, Dad went to see the car. It was like a bomb went off. Everything was burned to ashes. Gene's body was unrecognizable, burned so badly. You could barely tell it was a car, just a weird horrific burning.

In the midst of the ashes, Dad saw something glisten. It was the cross attached to the zipper that zipped up the Bible I had given him for Christmas.

He reached in.

The cross was still attached to the zipper. Which was still attached to the Bible.

Perfectly intact. Not one speck of a burn mark
    It was as if it had been out of the car when it crashed, stayed outside while it burned up, and then carefully placed among the ashes for Dad to recover after it cooled off.

That was around 1968. I kept the Bible on my nightstand until fairly recently, when I returned it to my Dad. He moved back close to the area when he remarried, and I thought it appropriate for the Bible to return back to close to where it came. I suspect I will have the Bible returned to me one day.

From time to time, I would pull that Bible out, and read where we had inscribed it to Gene for Christmas, and then where he died.

This is a true story, and I cannot possibly explain how it could be true from this World. If you saw the Bible today, you would never believe it was in a raging fire until everything was burned that could be burned.

Except the Bible.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 02-22-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Re: Bible untouched as car burns

Great story D.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I left one small part out, and thought I'd tell the rest of the story and give you a photo.

Mom and Dad were actually driving from Paducah to Hickman for the regional basketball tournament first on that Saturday night. Gene was at the house, going to go with them, then return, and at the last minute backed out.

Here is a photo of Harold (Brownie King), my Dad, Jasper (Gene) King, and my Dad's brother, Uncle Dan Cartwright, Jr.

uploadfromtaptalk1456207748138.jpg

That photo was taken at the occasion of my Grandfather's funeral in 1968, two months before Gene died.

And just for historical reference, here are the same four individuals, 30 years before that, in 1938. Their order is reversed - my Uncle Dan, Jr. on the left, Gene next to him, my Dad next, and Brownie on the far end.

Last edited by Darrell KSR; 02-23-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Wow that is incredible man! Thanks for sharing.
    Go Cats!

This is a true story, and I cannot possibly explain how it could be true from this World.

There doesn't need to be an explanation for me.
    He works in mysterious ways...
    That is an incredible story and thank you for sharing that.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Unforgettable

I was at that tournament. I rarely missed a district tournament or the regional. I believe the one at Hickman was the district because if I recall the region was always at Murray with a bigger gym

God works in a His Way, to teach us to never doubt His word. His a Word lives, it doesn't die or burn. Someone will learn of that Bible in Memphis and will come to a Him and accept Jesus ax their Savior.

One thing I learned for certain witnessing my fathers passing was that no man dies alone except by choice...even if no-body is around. It's a long story that I may share one day when I'm less concerned people will call me crazy.

The Lord certainly came and visited my father at his passing and my family, hospital staff, and I myself witnessed it. And I've never witnessed or felt anything like it in my whole life. It was the ultimate blessing for a man who never failed to boldly witness of God's Grace absent the restraints of religion. And that same Grace was literally with us all as Dad passed.

And so we know these folks also were not alone in those fiery crashes. The books did not protect themselves, and serve as a window into our own faith, or lack there of. And likewise as just another of the abundance of tender mercies afforded us who believe.

If we don't make an effort to believe then such things as this are explained away and/or forgotten.
    Then such hope can escape us altogether in our darkest hours

. Please let's all of us be open minded to the possibility. That is the beginning of faith, and our faith is exactly and exclusively what saves us.
    Last edited by kingcat; 02-23-2016 at 11:14 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    I was at that tournament. I rarely missed a district tournament or the regional. I believe the one at Hickman was the district because if I recall the region was always at Murray with a bigger gym

God works in a His Way, to teach us to never doubt His word. His a Word lives, it doesn't die or burn. Someone will learn of that Bible in Memphis and will come to a Him and accept Jesus ax their Savior.
    Skip, it is indeed a very small world.

I went back and looked at something my Dad wrote about that night, and you are absolutely right about it being the District BB tournament in Hickman. Dad said it was the District Finals. You and my Mom and Dad were there together. That's really something.

I have to ask my Dad to clarify one thing. I know it was Gene's car that burned off the bridge. But Dad said that when they were ready to leave, Gene was in his car. It's a little confusing because there's a trip from Hopkinsville to Paducah to Hickman involved that day, and I probably just misunderstood the car thing, because I know it was Gene's car that burned, not my Dad's.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 02-23-2016 at 11:33 PM.

The part of the story that is the most inspiring, of course, is the Bible being untouched. Or I should say, untouched by fire. But it still presents a great mystery to me (and to my Dad) on the suspicious circumstances surrounding Gene's death.

I haven't spoken to Dad, but found something he wrote about 7 years ago and thought I would include it too. A detective said Gene had a head injury to the back of his head before the car crashed, and the fire started in the back seat.

Anyway, here are Dad's short comments about it. Forgive him for typos and not really understanding LOL back then (he thought he was saying lots of love to his niece, not laughing out loud about Gene's car being burned to a crisp).

uploadfromtaptalk1456292681276.jpg

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    One thing I learned for certain witnessing my fathers passing was that no man dies alone except by choice...even if no-body is around. It's a long story that I may share one day when I'm less concerned people will call me crazy.

The Lord certainly came and visited my father at his passing and my family, hospital staff, and I myself witnessed it. And I've never witnessed or felt anything like it in my whole life. It was the ultimate blessing for a man who never failed to boldly witness of God's Grace absent the restraints of religion. And that same Grace was literally with us all as Dad passed.

And so we know these folks also were not alone in those fiery crashes. The books did not protect themselves, and serve as a window into our own faith, or lack there of. And likewise as just another of the abundance of tender mercies afforded us who believe.

If we don't make an effort to believe then such things as this are explained away and/or forgotten.
    Then such hope can escape us altogether in our darkest hours

. Please let's all of us be open minded to the possibility. That is the beginning of faith, and our faith is exactly and exclusively what saves us.
    I won't push but I look forward to you sharing this down the road.

Horrible things happen in this world and many times to wonderful people and we are left scratching our heads and asking why.

In some instances, however, we experience events that with our faith we see God's grace; His divine intervention. Miracles to a greater or lesser extent. Others will dismiss those things as flukes or see mere coincidences. Good luck and what have you.

I know people in history have misinterpreted some events as punishment from God or some deity other than the Christian God and it was a random earthquake or disease and germs that were unseen.

This week I experienced God keeping me out of harm's way in spite of myself. He protected me from my own anger and very well maybe prolonged my life.

Why? Why me? Why me over someone more deserving like a sweet kid that gets sick or a hero who fought for his country or someone's mother. I don't know.

I don't doubt there is a God. I don't doubt my Christian faith--which is a far cry from living a perfect life or always doing what I know is right by any means. There was no burning bush or a blinding light on the road accompanied by a booming voice asking me why I was persecuting believers ala the Apostle Paul.

It was the Hand of God that sent me huge bill boards to calm down and reconsider my decision. God locked a door on me for my own good. God was not going to let me make that mistake. It was not just a matter of me turning from a disastrous situation to God, He actually kept me safe denying me the opportunity.

That is humbling to come to that realization. And while I am not being very specific I am saying to everyone on this board this week I experienced a miracle as much as that Bible not burning. He kept me from burning metaphorically. And maybe literally down the road as well.

As you guys know, my Dad passed away Independence Day last week. Yesterday I visited with his widow, and he had a couple of boxes of things he had set aside for me. One of the things in the box, and the first thing I spotted, was the Bible. I will post a picture of it in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    As you guys know, my Dad passed away Independence Day last week. Yesterday I visited with his widow, and he had a couple of boxes of things he had set aside for me. One of the things in the box, and the first thing I spotted, was the Bible. I will post a picture of it in a few minutes.
    VERY cool. Can't wait.
    Go Cats!

Pics don't show it well, but the yellow edges aren't even burned edges, but just yellow with age (and bad lighting/cell phone pic). Car was burned down to the frame. Everything burned. Everything. Except that.

truly amazing
    Go Cats!

My Mom wrote the "Presented to," "By" and "Date" on the inside there. My Dad wrote the date, place of death, and my addresses until we moved to Monroe, Louisiana. I don't know why he did that, but it's kind of neat for me to see today.

I have heard many cases such as these as well as bibles stopping bullets. I don't doubt them in the least.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Guys, I ran across something accidental tonight. I obtained a newspaper archive subscription--just a trial period, and I won't buy it, trying to help my daughter with a project. Anyway, The Gene King story just hit me and decided to see if there was anything in the newspaper about it.

Dad's notation in Gene's Bible (which I have now) was that he died the 1st Saturday in March, 1968. So I went to see if they had the Paducah Sun in their archives.

They did.

I looked up the first Saturday in March, and saw where it was March 2. So I took a look to see if there was an article about Gene in the newspaper on March 3.

Could not find one.

I looked to see if there was one in the newspaper on March 4.

There was. I have attached the article in jpg format, "Brookport Carpenter Is Killed." Front page story.

The article verifies some things my Dad had told me, and that I had listed above. But what I found chilling was the State Trooper was quoted in the article. His words,

"State Trooper Creston Rudolph, who investigated the accident, said, "Apparently he made no attempt to negotiate the curve. There was no skid marks and no evidence of braking before the car left the road."

It backs up my Dad's story that the fire began "immediately," and started in the back seat (the article says the rear, but Dad said the investigator told him the back seat." If you read between the lines in the newspaper story, you can tell that the Trooper investigating it thought he was murdered.

Said that it took them more than six hours to identify Gene.

There was no mention of the Bible in the story. But I have it. And it was there.

I wish my Dad were alive so I could share this newspaper story with him. I'm kicking myself for not thinking to check newspaper archives while he was still living. I am so mad at myself.

The_Paducah_Sun_Mon__Mar_4__1968_.jpg

The_Paducah_Sun_Mon__Mar_4__1968_ (1).jpg

I had to check, and unfortunately, Creston Rudolph, the State Trooper who investigated the accident, passed away May 8, 2014. I would have liked to have spoken to him.

He was a state trooper for 28 years. Here is his obituary.

https://obittree.com/obituary/us/sou...dolph/2032068/

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

God will build ones faith up in ways we would never imagine. It's sometimes like a nod or a wink that simply says "I Am Here"

I had to check, and unfortunately, Creston Rudolph, the State Trooper who investigated the accident, passed away May 8, 2014. I would have liked to have spoken to him.

He was a state trooper for 28 years. Here is his obituary.

https://obittree.com/obituary/us/sou...dolph/2032068/
    Have you checked to see if they have the old police reports on file? If they would have that I may know some folks down here that could assist.
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    Have you checked to see if they have the old police reports on file? If they would have that I may know some folks down here that could assist.
    Padukacat, I am just seeing this--funny, I was digging through some of my Dad's old writings and such, and it led me down the rabbit hole to go back and find Gene's information. I could not locate the newspaper story--now I know why; it was a temporary newspaper subscription, but thankfully, I posted it here.

I don't know when, but I will follow up to see if they have the old police report there. I may hit you up if it exists.

We always called him "Gene," but Dad swore his real name was Jasper. It caused me some difficulty in searching, as I continued to look for "Jasper," but the newspaper story shows him at Billy Gene King. It might have been a nickname.

Padukacat, the article describes hitting the floodwall 0.2 miles from Paducah City limits, and a reference to the "highway," but no mention of the highway. Would that have been off the Brookport Bridge, or is it something else? It's been so long since I've been to Paducah, my memory is failing. Was the curve off the Bridge on the Brookport side, or the Paducah side? Or am I just way off base?

It is on the Paducah side. It is not right off the bridge, but there is a 90 degree curve to the right just a couple hundred yards before entering the Brookport bridge on hwy 45. As I recall, the road on the Brookport side does not have a curve anywhere close.
    seeya
    dan

So Gene would have completely exited the Brookport Bridge returning from Brookport, and traveled down Hwy 45 some distance - couldn't have been too far, could it? Before hitting the floodwall? And I guess you aren't quite in Paducah at that point, but I close?

The news paper report and your account match and he would have been coming south from Brookport on highway 45 and after exiting the south end of the bridge, he drove into the curve which would have been headed left or east, ran off the road, then traveled across a grassy area, of maybe 50 yards or so, before slamming into the flood wall. The flood wall around the city of Paducah is concrete and was built in 1949 and is right at the edge of downtown Paducah. There is more to the flood wall, which is an earthen structure, that protects the area east and west of Paducah outside the city limits.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 01-14-2023 at 03:58 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Thanks, Dan. That fills in a lot of gaps in my mind.

Story I just saw on Twitter.

@FoxNews:

Bible undamaged after SUV bursts into flames on Tennessee highway

http://fxn.ws/1L7fvAK http://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/70...919936/photo/1

Now let me add to this story.

My Dad's cousin, Gene, was very close to our family as we were growing up in Paducah. He was not married, and had no family of his own, so he spent a great deal of time with our family.

Gene was a great guy, but not particularly religious. He ran a little wild, but you'd never know it from his visits with us. One Christmas I gave him a Bible for a Christmas gift. He thought it was the greatest gift he had ever received. It zipped up with a cross attached to it.

He talked to me a bunch about it growing up. Of course, I was just a kid, and I was thrilled he loved the Bible I gave him so much. He carried it everywhere, even though he wasn't what most would consider a religious man.

One day he had spent visiting us. It was late, and Dad asked him just to spend the night. Gene said ok, then changed his mind and said he needed to go see some folks across the river that were going to pay him some money he was owed. To this day I don't know what the money was for, but I had the feeling as I grew up it might've had something to do with gambling. Maybe not, I don't know.

Anyway, my Dad gets a call early in the morning. Gene's VW had crashed just off the Brookport bridge from Paducah to Metropolis. The car burned.

Later that day, a Sunday as I recall, Dad went to see the car. It was like a bomb went off. Everything was burned to ashes. Gene's body was unrecognizable, burned so badly. You could barely tell it was a car, just a weird horrific burning.

In the midst of the ashes, Dad saw something glisten. It was the cross attached to the zipper that zipped up the Bible I had given him for Christmas.

He reached in.

The cross was still attached to the zipper. Which was still attached to the Bible.

Perfectly intact. Not one speck of a burn mark
    It was as if it had been out of the car when it crashed, stayed outside while it burned up, and then carefully placed among the ashes for Dad to recover after it cooled off.

That was around 1968. I kept the Bible on my nightstand until fairly recently, when I returned it to my Dad. He moved back close to the area when he remarried, and I thought it appropriate for the Bible to return back to close to where it came. I suspect I will have the Bible returned to me one day.

From time to time, I would pull that Bible out, and read where we had inscribed it to Gene for Christmas, and then where he died.

This is a true story, and I cannot possibly explain how it could be true from this World. If you saw the Bible today, you would never believe it was in a raging fire until everything was burned that could be burned.

Except the Bible.
    Darrell, I have heard of this happening several times and know without any doubt that if happened in a wreck where a friend of mine was burned up. That's just something that could not possibly happen without a higher power being involved.

Sorry just now seeing this but yes I believe to not be in paducah he would be coming south off the bridge and didn’t navigate the curve. Does the officer have children alive because you know they would have heard the story about the Bible and could corroborate. Maybe I can find someone I know on my end let me do some thinking.
    Go Cats!