Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalia found dead?

Scalia found dead?

Hate to see it--Chance for Obama to appoint a Muslim

Unforgettable

Re: Scalia found dead?

we are screwed
    natural causes????? better check for something funny in the blood, urine or body. Hopefully the senate will delay it until past November if they have any brain function at all.

Gonna nominate himself

He just nominated Abdul Kallon for the 11th Circuit Thursday. Bet a lot of people think he's a liberal judge, but he's conservative as can be.

This one will be worth watching, though. A lot hinges on it, to be sure.

For the Senate to block the nomination process for the remainder of Obama's term, it would be unprecedented. If it matched the longest nomination process in the history of our country would the new justice would be in place by August. Even though the head of the judiciary committee has vowed to block for the remainder of the year, it's going to be very difficult to achieve.

Not to mention that all President's get their Supreme Court nominations to an up and down vote. If this goes more than a few months, this country is in some real serious problems, and it would be a real difficult problem for the Republicans during election time.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    He just nominated Abdul Kallon for the 11th Circuit Thursday. Bet a lot of people think he's a liberal judge, but he's conservative as can be.

If he's conservative, then why this reality?

Sessions and Shelby, however, issued a joint statement Thursday evening saying they will oppose the nomination.

"Throughout the process of meeting with the White House on filling judicial vacancies, we negotiated in good faith to find nominees that will serve our state well," according to the statement. "While we thought progress had been made, apparently the White House was never interested in good faith negotiations, and it is too late now."

Especially after they supported his nomination to his current position in 2009. Why would they oppose a "conservative" nomination today? I feel like I know the answer, but am curious to know it from someone with greater insights.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    If he's conservative, then why this reality?

Sessions and Shelby, however, issued a joint statement Thursday evening saying they will oppose the nomination.

"Throughout the process of meeting with the White House on filling judicial vacancies, we negotiated in good faith to find nominees that will serve our state well," according to the statement. "While we thought progress had been made, apparently the White House was never interested in good faith negotiations, and it is too late now."

Especially after they supported his nomination to his current position in 2009. Why would they oppose a "conservative" nomination today? I feel like I know the answer, but am curious to know it from someone with greater insights.
    Cause they're idiots following the company line? (Politically, as a conservative, would you want to support a man named "Abdul Kallon?" And nominated by Barack Hussein Obama?)

OK, so they're not idiots. Smart politicos. And good for Alabama, if you ask me. But it's a politics game here.

I know Kallon. Have had several cases in front of him. Ruled against me in a case where I got him overturned by the 11th Circuit (representing plaintiffs) in a new FDCPA case. Only case I've ever done where that has occurred (I don't do much litigation, and almost no appellate work).

Good judge, but conservative. Came from Bradley, Arant, most conservative law firm in the state. No brainer.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 02-13-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Bombino

Is shrewd political move by Obama? Nominating a conservative that he knows the conservative branch can't elect. That they will shoot themselves in the foot trying to score cheap political points based on his name and ehtnicity (and that alone). When they reject that one, he can say "Hey, I nominated a conservative. They are just looking to block me." and he ends up with the upper hand.

I probably should've started a new thread about Kallon. It's rare I know anything specific about something political and I do think it's worthy of a decent discussion. But will be overshadowed by the Scalia stuff, for sure.

Well that's depressing as hell.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Cause they're idiots following the company line? (Politically, as a conservative, would you want to support a man named "Abdul Kallon?" And nominated by Barack Hussein Obama?)

OK, so they're not idiots. Smart politicos. And good for Alabama, if you ask me. But it's a politics game here.

I know Kallon. Have had several cases in front of him. Ruled against me in a case where I got him overturned by the 11th Circuit (representing plaintiffs) in a new FDCPA case. Only case I've ever done where that has occurred (I don't do much litigation, and almost no appellate work).

Good judge, but conservative. Came from Bradley, Arant, most conservative law firm in the state. No brainer.
    So, are you saying that playing a larger political game warrants rejecting the nomination of a conservative judge that they have supported in the past? If the man is qualified, then he should receive support. George W always said that judges deserve up and down votes, regardless of ideology. I believe in that. Republican Senators do not when there guy isn't the one that is making the nominations.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    So, are you saying that playing a larger political game warrants rejecting the nomination of a conservative judge that they have supported in the past? If the man is qualified, then he should receive support. George W always said that judges deserve up and down votes, regardless of ideology. I believe in that. Republican Senators do not when there guy isn't the one that is making the nominations.
    And you think democrats do? They are as bad or worse than republicans. They don't just vote no,my hey try to personally destroy a person any way they can

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    And you think democrats do? They are as bad or worse than republicans. They don't just vote no,my hey try to personally destroy a person any way they can
    The excuse that because they do it, we can do it to is so lame.

I hate it when the Democrats do it too. I cringed when Bush got two nominations to the Supreme Court, but respected that he was the President and had the right to do so. I believe Obama deserves the same privilege. I'll add, the exact same privilege that Ronald Reagan had for Justice Kennedy's process.

I'm asking Darrell, why would Alabama Senators now reject a conservative(not my term, but his), judge when they supported him for his current position, only a few years ago?

Since this thread is splintering, I'll pick a direction with this comment...

The Republicans are in mourning right now, losing their advocate of 30 years. I get that. However, if they want to do something that has never happened in the history of the US, by refusing to acknowledge the duty of what they were elected to do and the will of the people(sorry Mitch McConnell, but Obama was twiced elected by Americans and received more votes than any President in our history, so deserves to carry out his duties for 8 years), then it's going to cost them in November.

Considering that nobody expected Obama to get a 3rd opportunity, and every person with any sense of the lifespan of the current justices and that the next President could easily have 3 appointees, this is going to blow up big time in the face of the GOP. Swing voters want to see government work, not further division.

Good luck with that strategy, because not only could you lose the opportunity to gain the White House, you could lose all power to stack the courts.

It appears that the established precedent is to not nominate a justice in a presidential election year.

Stu, the "will of the people" when it comes to SCOTUS is really equal parts President and Senate. It was never intended for the President to "appoint" justices. He "nominates" them to the Senate, who then decides if they are worthy.

It was never meant for him to get his picks, but rather a balance between him and the Senate, some kind of middle ground. that's the nature of the checks and balances of the system.

So it all depends on who he nominates. If he nominates a moderate, which is where this country is at right now with the conservatives running Congress and a liberal in the White House, then fine, they should give it a serious look and move forward.

BUt if he nominates a leftist it's well within the rights of the Senate to say no. Judge Bork was probably one of the smartest men ever nominated, but the Democrats smeared him into oblivion.

that's just part of the checks and balances.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I hope Obama nominates Srinivasan, bright Indian guy who served in both the Bush and Obama Administrations as Solicitor General. Confirmed to his present appellate post by a 97-0 vote, including Cruz and Rubio.

All I ask is a pragmatist.
    My mother used to tell me, "Elwood, in this world, you must be oh, so smart or oh, so nice." For years I was smart. I recommend nice. You may quote me. - Elwood P. Dowd

Rupp's Runt

This is how it's going to work: the cowardly, weak-ass Senate will give Obama whatever he wants, just like they have for the last 7+ years. And then the one thing that can and will dramatically shift the balance of power for good (and as CBBN has alluded to several times on this board) and the Republic will be finished. Obama could nominate Josef Stalin and this current Senate would ratify him.
    Just sit back and watch.
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

This Abdul Kallon might also be that proverbial "Trojan Horse" too. I do not know the guy, or anything about him, so I will take your word because you do know him, Darrell. But we all thought Chief Justice Roberts was a conservative too, and we see where that has gone. So, in the end, with these people, you never really know for sure.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    This is how it's going to work: the cowardly, weak-ass Senate will give Obama whatever he wants, just like they have for the last 7+ years. And then the one thing that can and will dramatically shift the balance of power for good (and as CBBN has alluded to several times on this board) and the Republic will be finished. Obama could nominate Josef Stalin and this current Senate would ratify him. Just sit back and watch.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    This Abdul Kallon might also be that proverbial "Trojan Horse" too. I do not know the guy, or anything about him, so I will take your word because you do know him, Darrell. But we all thought Chief Justice Roberts was a conservative too, and we see where that has gone. So, in the end, with these people, you never really know for sure.
    I think Roberts was nominated as a moderate, he had to be able to be confirmed by Reid.

Maybe they will move as rapidly on the confirmation as they did on the IRS or Benghazi. If so, confirmation should come sometime in 2035.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I think Roberts was nominated as a moderate, he had to be able to be confirmed by Reid.
    You are probably right. I honestly don't remember. All I know is that the guy bent over backwards to find a way to call the ACA a "tax", which maybe in the final analysis is right, considering that the IRS is the "enforcement agent" in this nonsense, complete with all kinds of hidden taxes and thousands of new IRS enforcement agents. So I have zero use for the guy. The law is illegal and unconstitutional and is a detriment in many, many ways to American businesses and the American people. I have no use for the guy. He's more worried about his damn "legacy" than he is about protecting us from the vermin in D.C. Truthfully, in my mind, he's one of them. Just as bad, just as culpable, just as negligent in not doing his job.
    MOLON LABE!

FWIW if no reasonable candidate is put forward I'm fine with them delaying until after there is a new President.

It's not good form, but it may be necessary. Even if it hurts the GOP in congressional elections it may be worth it. There are now 4 Justices who think there is no right to self defense in this country among other very disturbing things. We can't let it be 5 no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Realist View Post
    I hope Obama nominates Srinivasan, bright Indian guy who served in both the Bush and Obama Administrations as Solicitor General. Confirmed to his present appellate post by a 97-0 vote, including Cruz and Rubio.

All I ask is a pragmatist.
    I think he'll be the choice.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Stu, the "will of the people" when it comes to SCOTUS is really equal parts President and Senate. It was never intended for the President to "appoint" justices. He "nominates" them to the Senate, who then decides if they are worthy.

It was never meant for him to get his picks, but rather a balance between him and the Senate, some kind of middle ground. that's the nature of the checks and balances of the system.

So it all depends on who he nominates. If he nominates a moderate, which is where this country is at right now with the conservatives running Congress and a liberal in the White House, then fine, they should give it a serious look and move forward.

BUt if he nominates a leftist it's well within the rights of the Senate to say no. Judge Bork was probably one of the smartest men ever nominated, but the Democrats smeared him into oblivion.

that's just part of the checks and balances.
    I though that was civics 101, evidently some didnt get it

Like citizen, this country and those of us who cherish our individual rights do not want a fifth leftist judge. They do not believe in the constitution as it was written

And suncat, many are not happy with our top judge, he gave the liberals a gift they didn't even ask for

Rupp's Runt

Agreed, jazy.
    MOLON LABE!

I don't think Obama wants to nominate any candidate who stands a chance to be confirmed. I think he wants to ride it out and have himself be nominated by Hillary in 2017.

Scalia found dead?

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    we are screwed
    natural causes????? better check for something funny in the blood, urine or body. Hopefully the senate will delay it until past November if they have any brain function at all.
    Scalia found with pillow over his head...

http://www.youngcons.com/ranch-owner...over-his-head/

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Unforgettable

I want to thank Sen a Chuck Shuner for his advice in 2007, Pres Bush last year in office. Schumer said the senate should NOT confirm ANY of Bushes nominees. And since Shumer will be the next Democrat Senate leader I will take him at his word. McConnell has that advice to accept

Unforgettable

Scalia found with pillow over his head...

http://www.youngcons.com/ranch-owner...over-his-head/

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    I heard that, and of course no foul play. I wonder why the door to his room was locked, just seems odd to me at a ranch with friends on a quail hunt. It was also reported that he said he didn't feel well the night before which seems to often happen before heart failure