Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Online Organized Striking against Walmart

Re: Online Organized Striking against Walmart

Walmart employees are not working overtime for free, as "unpaid overtime" implies. Why would they work straight time for nothing, that much less OT? Ridiculous claim.

I've been off work for a month. Everything is there waiting for me to do when I get back. So I will work long hours and get paid the same monthly salary regardless. But I don't consider that "unpaid overtime". It will just be doing my job.

And Walmart starts even part time employees higher than fed min wage where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelSteve View Post
    Would you work minimum wage and unpaid OT to put up with THIS?

Nope but then I have 4 degrees. I spent 10 years in college and amassed massive debt to buy into a practice so why would I work for Walmart? Were I without any degrees then I likely would work for whomever would hire me and pay me the most. That very well could be walmart. I would work my ass off and hopefully move up the corp ladder or quit and find another job
    Last edited by Doc; 11-23-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Unforgettable

If I needed a job I would. But when you work retail whether WM or others you expect that, it is part of the job, something you like some of them have a hard time comprehending.
    You should really take the word Colonel out of your screen name and replace it with maybe, buck private because that is about where your brain is.

BTW, the protests were complete failures. Coming so soon after the unions destroyed 18,500 jobs at Hostess, this latest failure shows how union power is gone in the private sector. It's only government and education that unions retain their clout, to the detriment of both, and the underlying constituents of taxpayers and children.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    BTW, the protests were complete failures. Coming so soon after the unions destroyed 18,500 jobs at Hostess, this latest failure shows how union power is gone in the private sector. It's only government and education that unions retain their clout, to the detriment of both, and the underlying constituents of taxpayers and children.
    Uh no...unions didnt destroy Hostess...Hostess destroyed Hostess

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,966735.column

A few columns by union friendly commentators hardly proves the point. Venture capitalism has made millionaires and even billionaires out of hard working Americans. And paid big returns for those putting their money at risk. The unions in this case shut down the bakeries and forced bankruptcy and that's the simple and all too obvious answer. No product, no sales, no cash flow equals bankruptcy. Period.

Peter Suderman of Reason Mag destroys all the Walmart detractors in seventeen tweets:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-t...l-mart-2012-11

First off, there is not a single mention of "overtime" in that article. Not one. I searched using the browser. Neither does the word "unpaid".

Second, that job is far preferable to:

-- Unemployment
    -- The Salvation Army
    -- Doing roofing in 100 degree heat for the same money or less
    -- A rehab in a flea infested house for $10 an hour (my contractor guy is doing it right now and his guys make $10/hour, no benefits)
    -- About 200 jobs Mike Rowe has done on Dirty Jobs that would gag a maggot
    -- Working 60 or 80 hours a week or more with no family life or time to see friends and hoping it will cover the mortgage, which covers a ton of self employed people in this economy.
    -- mucking out commercial chicken coops including the dead chickens or about 100 other really fun farm jobs for the same money and no benefits

How much time do we have? There are millions, likely 10s of millions of people with no job or worse jobs. Instead of embracing the post WWII American conceit that citizenship guarantees a life of upper middle class prosperity and anyone without it is somehow being exploited and the government should intervene to fix it, they should be happy to have jobs when so many don't and happy to be getting paid even on Thanksgiving.