Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Online Organized Striking against Walmart

Online Organized Striking against Walmart

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...6pLid%3D232971

Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving regarded as one of the biggest shopping days of the year, may be dramatically different this year.

Organizers are planning a nationwide strike against Walmart, the largest retailer in the world, and are banking on a new strategy: online organizing.

Labor organizers are working with social action nonprofit Engage Network as well as corporate watchdog nonprofit Corporate Action Network to pull off what they are calling a "viral" -- meaning national and spreading online -- strike.

and the story goes on.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Re: Online Organized Striking against Walmart

So they are griping about working conditions and having to work on t-giving? Then fire them and hire new employees. Are plenty of people out of work
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Sorry, little sympathy there.

I have two daughters that work holidays--one with a menial, honest job, who works on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day (among other holidays), and has for 4-1/2 years while in high school and in college, and the other with a job in the medical field, who works holidays as they are assigned. We have Thanksgiving when we gather as a family; same for Christmas or any other holiday. We respect holidays; we just understand that there's a value to good, honest work, and serving others as well.

Walmart's Black Friday begins Thanksgiving Day at 8 p.m.? Have your Thanksgiving meal at noon that day. Just a ton of solutions.

Get mad if Walmart makes you work off the clock, won't pay you overtime, makes you do something illegal. Is open on a holiday? Big deal.

Rupp's Runt

I've always had to work holidays, but then you gotta have po-lice around during just those times, for those that just cannot seem to get along during an alcoholic fueled family rumble during the holiday season.
    If you want to pay your bills, you have to work whenever it is required to keep the money rolling in. That's always the way it's been, and that's always the way it will be.
    I'm with Doc........they don't want to work, FIRE THEM and hire somebody who will. It's that simple.
    Absolutely zero sympathy from this corner of Wildcat Country on this situation.

It's not about working holidays...I mean they do get paid time and a half for their time...it's about working conditions...the same reason they have been sued for over the last 10 years, forcing people to work OT without getting paid, discrimination, terrible insurance, everything we hold dear they dont see, earlier this year they protested in 10 states at like 30 some stores...they talked about doing this on Black Friday, it's why Walmart has moved their deals to start at 8PM on Thanksgiving, I applaud them for standing up against these pricks and so should everyone else

Colonel, if it's the "same reason they've been sued," either a) it has been remedied through the legal system, or b) they're doing it (again) and they need to be sued, not protested against.

No sympathy. Sorry. I'm not a Wal-mart fan, because I like the service and the enterpreneurial spirit of the local merchant, but I won't join you in supporting their strike for the reasons you state.

I worked shift work for a dozen years out of high school. Not just holidays, weekends, but afternoon and graveyard shifts. I have no sympathy; I think these are whiners.

Plenty of people would be happy to have those jobs. Fire their butts and get people who don't think it should be handed to them.

Same people who will complain about jobs going overseas. Gee, I wonder why that happens.

They are a billion dollar company and tell their employees to get Medicaid while paying them $7.50/hr, forcing them to work UNPAID OVERTIME...yall really think these people are just whining? If you were told to work unpaid overtime or lose your job...I guarantee you would not be "whining" you would be downright pissed and justifiably so.

Thats just like Papa John rising the price of his pizzas saying he cant afford Obamacare, yet he has a 22 car garage along with other crap in his mansion

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I've always had to work holidays, but then you gotta have po-lice around during just those times, for those that just cannot seem to get along during an alcoholic fueled family rumble during the holiday season.
    If you want to pay your bills, you have to work whenever it is required to keep the money rolling in. That's always the way it's been, and that's always the way it will be.
    I'm with Doc........they don't want to work, FIRE THEM and hire somebody who will. It's that simple.
    Absolutely zero sympathy from this corner of Wildcat Country on this situation.
    What, criminals don't take the holidays off?

Over the years I too have had to work holidays. The first 2 years after school I got Xmas and T-giving for sure. Likewise after that it was "on call" to handle emergencies as well as care taking care of the hospitalized animals. Guess that is what responsible people do.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelSteve View Post
    They are a billion dollar company and tell their employees to get Medicaid while paying them $7.50/hr, forcing them to work UNPAID OVERTIME...yall really think these people are just whining? If you were told to work unpaid overtime or lose your job...I guarantee you would not be "whining" you would be downright pissed and justifiably so.

Thats just like Papa John rising the price of his pizzas saying he cant afford Obamacare, yet he has a 22 car garage along with other crap in his mansion
    They are a billion dollar company, so what.
    They pay their employees $7.50 an hour (documentation?), so what. Its more than minimum wage. They don't like it then FIND ANOTHER JOB
    They are not paying overtime. This I doubt because that is illegal. Its a huge no no and doing so will get a business in huge trouble.
    As for medicaide, welcome to America. I thought that is what liberals wanted, the government to take care of them. Now its Walmarts job?

I got a better solution. You work at walmart and don't feel you are paid enough or get enough benefits. Quit and find a better paying job. Nobody is forcing them to work at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    They are a billion dollar company, so what.
    They pay their employees $7.50 an hour (documentation?), so what. Its more than minimum wage. They don't like it then FIND ANOTHER JOB
    They are not paying overtime. This I doubt because that is illegal. Its a huge no no and doing so will get a business in huge trouble.
    As for medicaide, welcome to America. I thought that is what liberals wanted, the government to take care of them. Now its Walmarts job?

I got a better solution. You work at walmart and don't feel you are paid enough or get enough benefits. Quit and find a better paying job. Nobody is forcing them to work at Walmart
    You really need to go to some of these small towns in Eastern Kentucky...Walmart is the only job in some of these towns, and if I remember correctly, only UPS and Toyota employ more people in the entire state, that's why I was for Obamacare, some of these people CANT get a better job, and they have awful insurance...and yes...they are creating illegal practices not paying their OT...and this wonderful government for some reason has overlooked it

You really need to go to some of these small towns in Eastern Kentucky...Walmart is the only job in some of these towns, and if I remember correctly, only UPS and Toyota employ more people in the entire state, that's why I was for Obamacare, some of these people CANT get a better job, and they have awful insurance...and yes...they are creating illegal practices not paying their OT...and this wonderful government for some reason has overlooked it
    The majority of these people can't get a better job because they FAILED to get themselves educated or trained so that they would actually have some marketable skills. You seem to suggest that Walmart created the situation that you abhor. Talk to the people who work at Walmart, and you'll find that many had worse jobs before Walmart came to their town.

All of this push to unionize Walmart doesn't come from the workers, it comes from the unions who see megabucks in union dues due to the fact that Walmart is the biggest retailer in the world. It's a numbers game by the unions who don't give a damn about "doing right for the workers". Walmart actually has some good workers who are happy to have their jobs. Those aren't the "workers" pushing for unionization. Most of those Walmart "workers" who push for a union, are misnamed. They are not workers. They are clock-punchers. They wouldn't work in a pie factory.

What is this "overtime" of which you speak? You mean just b/c it's not 9 to 5 you get more money for the same work?

Wow, as I sit here at my desk working on a project at 7:25pm on a Sunday no I don't think I'd be pissed about getting PAID for WORK when 25% of this country is unemployed or underemployed. I'd be dancing in the streets to have a job b/c I don't expect people to hand me anything and I know this is a market and the price of everything is determined by competition and there's plenty for those jobs. Am I getting paid for that after hours and holiday time? I'm good.

Is it just me or is it ironic you posted a thread showing some of these same Walmart employees committing crimes of vandalism and destruction of property while on the job? Why should I give a rat about them having to work late?

Go tell a farmer or someone in a small business (owner or employee) or a salesman or any number of professionals how they should be pissed over not getting paid more for working late hours or weekends or more than 40 hours a week.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    What is this "overtime" of which you speak? You mean just b/c it's not 9 to 5 you get more money for the same work?

Wow, as I sit here at my desk working on a project at 7:25pm on a Sunday no I don't think I'd be pissed about getting PAID for WORK when 25% of this country is unemployed or underemployed. I'd be dancing in the streets to have a job b/c I don't expect people to hand me anything and I know this is a market and the price of everything is determined by competition and there's plenty for those jobs. Am I getting paid for that after hours and holiday time? I'm good.

Is it just me or is it ironic you posted a thread showing some of these same Walmart employees committing crimes of vandalism and destruction of property while on the job? Why should I give a rat about them having to work late?

Go tell a farmer or someone in a small business (owner or employee) or a salesman or any number of professionals how they should be pissed over not getting paid more for working late hours or weekends or more than 40 hours a week.
    Because theyre not getting paid to work, they dont own anything within the company since Walmart does NOT offer stock options, its different if youre a farmer cause that is your food...its different if youre a small business owner cause it's YOURS, but if you are forced to work, if you refuse youre FIRED, and you dont get paid for it, that is the definition of slavery

Quote Originally Posted by CattyWampus View Post
    The majority of these people can't get a better job because they FAILED to get themselves educated or trained so that they would actually have some marketable skills. You seem to suggest that Walmart created the situation that you abhor. Talk to the people who work at Walmart, and you'll find that many had worse jobs before Walmart came to their town.

All of this push to unionize Walmart doesn't come from the workers, it comes from the unions who see megabucks in union dues due to the fact that Walmart is the biggest retailer in the world. It's a numbers game by the unions who don't give a damn about "doing right for the workers". Walmart actually has some good workers who are happy to have their jobs. Those aren't the "workers" pushing for unionization. Most of those Walmart "workers" who push for a union, are misnamed. They are not workers. They are clock-punchers. They wouldn't work in a pie factory.
    And I understand that, and that is why I dont like McConnell, the education in this country is such a failure right now, it's not even funny. It's not these peoples fault theyre in a bad situation, at least theyre trying, they could become the stereotypical hillbilly making moonshine and meth, no theyre going to work everyday and TRYING, that should account for something, sure they could do more but some just dont have that option

As someone who has 14 days in a row due to Hurricane Sandy, I have no sympathy. You have choice, find another job, or unemployment.

Spoiled, entitled describes many in the workforce today...

Because theyre not getting paid to work, they dont own anything within the company since Walmart does NOT offer stock options, its different if youre a farmer cause that is your food...its different if youre a small business owner cause it's YOURS, but if you are forced to work, if you refuse youre FIRED, and you dont get paid for it, that is the definition of slavery
    As I understand it they are getting paid, just not paid overtime, i.e. money above their base salary for normal hours.

Lots of people work on farms long hours and don't own it and don't get overtime. Lots of people work in small businesses and work extra hours and don't own any of it. Construction workers, all kinds of restaurant workers, 10s of millions of workers.

You don't usually get into "overtime", paying more money for extra hours, until you get into big companies or union work or government. People who work for big companies deserving extra pay for the same work b/c it's after hours or weekends isn't very persuasive to me when so many don't get that deal.

You said we'd all be ticked off. We wouldn't, and neither would millions of other Americans out of work or millions more with jobs that work more hours than what their paid to work and millions more who don't get overtime when they work extra hours. Massive number of people out there with the same or worse deal.

The definition of slavery is you refuse to work b/c you aren't paid and you are forced to at gunpoint, not that you get fired. That's the free market and the right to contract. You can either agree to the terms of the offer or not, but that's not slavery. If you get beaten or jailed for not working at Walmart, that's slavery.

So a company should offer its employees stock option? I don't offer any of my employees ownership in my business. Why should I? I hire them and I pay them. If they don't like it they leave and go work for the guy down the road. Its happened more than once. Sometimes when they threaten to leave I pay them more because they are worth the money but sometimes I don't...and they move on. Thing about owning a business is if there isn't enough money to cover their paychecks any week its me that goes without, not them. They come in on Sat or Sun and they punch the clock and get paid. Me, I should up whenever needed and don't make an extra cent for doing so. I'm not complaining about that, only that ownership of a company is about a heck of a lot more than being given something because you punch a clock.
    If you are schedule to work and don't show up, then you get fired. You are fired because you failed to show up. But you're are right in that you don't get paid because you didn't work. Our definition of slavery is far different (and to be honest, yours is offensive to actual slaves). My definition means you work and don't get paid. Apparently yours is you don't work and don't get paid.

As I understand it they are getting paid, just not paid overtime, i.e. money above their base salary for normal hours.

Lots of people work on farms long hours and don't own it and don't get overtime. Lots of people work in small businesses and work extra hours and don't own any of it. Construction workers, all kinds of restaurant workers, 10s of millions of workers.

You don't usually get into "overtime", paying more money for extra hours, until you get into big companies or union work or government. People who work for big companies deserving extra pay for the same work b/c it's after hours or weekends isn't very persuasive to me when so many don't get that deal.

You said we'd all be ticked off. We wouldn't, and neither would millions of other Americans out of work or millions more with jobs that work more hours than what their paid to work and millions more who don't get overtime when they work extra hours. Massive number of people out there with the same or worse deal.
    Thats how I understand it as well. If an employee goes over 40 hours in a work week they are required to be paid overtime (1.5 for the first 10 hrs then 2.0 after that). However simply having to work non 9-5 hours does not require additional pay. Its not overtime until its over 40 hrs. I've had several jobs that had odd hours. Worked one as a drill press operator in a manufacturing business in Louisville that was 4:30pm to 3:00am 4 days a week (plant was running double shift). I made a few bucks extra for working that shift but it wasn't "overtime" pay. It was because the business did it as an incentive to work that shift. Likewise my first job as a vet was 6:00pm to 8:00 am Thurs-Sun. No overtime as it was a "salary job" but I did it a slight boost in my pay for working the night compared to if I filled in for the day doctor. Wasn't required but my boss did it as an incentive.

Unforgettable

You guys are right, overtime starts when you go over 40 hours for a work week, not when you go over 8 hours for a day. Some people like working 10 hour days but only work 3 days or even 4 days so they can have more time off, many nurses do that.

And it is true, the union does not care about the employees, they only care about those dues, so they can build or buy more golf resorts and the top guys can live even better while the shmucks do all the work and watch tens of millions of their dollars go to politicians or resorts.

When you go to work in the retail business you work holidays, period. dont want to work holidays, don't work retail, or dont own your own business like I do, an doc, and citizen nor do you go to work in mgt in the government business like sky does. When I worked on the river as a deckhand in the summers, we always worked over 40 hours a week, heck there were times we worked 36 straight hours, got 8 hours sleep and back at it for 10 hours the next day. Glad to have that job, and those at Wally World need to be glad they have theirs. go watch them some day, not like they are doing extremely hard work, most do a lot of standing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Thats how I understand it as well. If an employee goes over 40 hours in a work week they are required to be paid overtime (1.5 for the first 10 hrs then 2.0 after that). However simply having to work non 9-5 hours does not require additional pay. Its not overtime until its over 40 hrs. I've had several jobs that had odd hours. Worked one as a drill press operator in a manufacturing business in Louisville that was 4:30pm to 3:00am 4 days a week (plant was running double shift). I made a few bucks extra for working that shift but it wasn't "overtime" pay. It was because the business did it as an incentive to work that shift. Likewise my first job as a vet was 6:00pm to 8:00 am Thurs-Sun. No overtime as it was a "salary job" but I did it a slight boost in my pay for working the night compared to if I filled in for the day doctor. Wasn't required but my boss did it as an incentive.

Good point Jazy, it sure isn't ditch digging. The guys that do construction work for me have way tougher days. You haven't lived till you spend the day in a crawl space cleaning out the trash and insulation, digging holes and pouring concrete for new supports with a 16" clearance. They do that kind of work for a living. Makes even putting up with Walmart customers look good. lol.

There are good jobs and bad jobs, and in this economy a job that pays is leaning hard to the good category right from the start.

One other thought. Good luck getting Walmart goers to respect a strike, and good luck getting people to walk out on their jobs in this economy. I feel very secure planning my black friday Walmart shopping (not that I'll have any).

And I understand that, and that is why I dont like McConnell, the education in this country is such a failure right now, it's not even funny.

Please explain to me how that's McConnell's fault.

Unforgettable

The colonel should have watched the guys who dug 41 holes around my foundation two weeks ago, with nothing more than shovels outside and after break thru the concrete shovels on the inside and down so deep all that showed where their shoulders and heads. Then pushed those wheelbarrels around with the concrete to pour into the holes after they had jacked up the house.They do it in 100 degree July days and 35 degree January days. Worked their tales off, hardly stopped all day other than to get something to eat or drink. NO union, no insurance, no benefits, no nothing, wait they had a job, and got paid for it and and knew they had one the next day as long as they showed up. He had 10 men on his crew, the shortest any had worked for him was 4 years and the longest was 21 years.

I love how people like steve start or spread rumors about Walmart and their products. Can you honestly imagine a billion dollar company taking the chance of selling someone a michelin tire that really isn't and it comes apart and killing someone in a car accident? Think how big that lawsuit would be, anyone who spreads stuff like this is nuts, no way a company like Walmart takes chances like that, just will not happen. They may be scum to do business with...and they are...and they may not have the best customer service in the world, but they are not stupid.

Good point Jazy, it sure isn't ditch digging. The guys that do construction work for me have way tougher days. You haven't lived till you spend the day in a crawl space cleaning out the trash and insulation, digging holes and pouring concrete for new supports with a 16" clearance. They do that kind of work for a living. Makes even putting up with Walmart customers look good. lol.

There are good jobs and bad jobs, and in this economy a job that pays is leaning hard to the good category right from the start.

One other thought. Good luck getting Walmart goers to respect a strike, and good luck getting people to walk out on their jobs in this economy. I feel very secure planning my black friday Walmart shopping (not that I'll have any).

Rupp's Runt

I guess it has just NEVER occurred to you that Mr. Papa John built his business from scratch, through hard work and good planning and from working long, long hours! So what if he has a mansion? IS HE NOT ENTITLED TO ENJOY THE FRUITS OF HIS LABORS? He earned it the old fashioned way........... HE WORKED FOR IT!! That is part of the secret formula for success, HE WORKED FOR IT ALL! Nobody gave him anything except the chance to either succeed or fall flat on his face. And now, because of people like you, the price of pizzas is going through the roof because you supported a candidate for POTUS that believes that hard work & business success should be vilified & demonized and has given us a law that will raise our taxes by thousands of dollars......... A LAW THAT MOST AMERICANS DID NOT WANT!
    I see your point, and that point and that way of thinking is what has brought our country to the brink of bankruptcy and is causing us to lose our status as the leader of the free world.
    Hell no Papa John can't afford Obamacare, and none of the rest of us can either! But you'll see........... when it's too damn late, like most other uninformed people will!

I've got lots of issues with WalMart, but this isn't one of them. I don't shop there, but might stop by that day just for a change of pace.

Unforgettable

It never occurs to liberals and ones like them, everyone who is successful must be torn down in any way possible. It is not right to be successful, to do it with hard work, and have money, we should give it all to those who refuse to work hard, who refuse to educate themselves either thru the school systems or thru self education, who refuse to take chances, who don't go thru failures only to bounce back and try again. Take from the doers and give to the ones who take everything they can. This will be the downfall of this country along with open borders for people to come in and join those who are looking to sit on their butts and collect.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I guess it has just NEVER occurred to you that Mr. Papa John built his business from scratch, through hard work and good planning and from working long, long hours! So what if he has a mansion? IS HE NOT ENTITLED TO ENJOY THE FRUITS OF HIS LABORS? He earned it the old fashioned way........... HE WORKED FOR IT!! That is part of the secret formula for success, HE WORKED FOR IT ALL! Nobody gave him anything except the chance to either succeed or fall flat on his face. And now, because of people like you, the price of pizzas is going through the roof because you supported a candidate for POTUS that believes that hard work & business success should be vilified & demonized and has given us a law that will raise our taxes by thousands of dollars......... A LAW THAT MOST AMERICANS DID NOT WANT!
    I see your point, and that point and that way of thinking is what has brought our country to the brink of bankruptcy and is causing us to lose our status as the leader of the free world.
    Hell no Papa John can't afford Obamacare, and none of the rest of us can either! But you'll see........... when it's too damn late, like most other uninformed people will!

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleup View Post
    I've got lots of issues with WalMart, but this isn't one of them. I don't shop there, but might stop by that day just for a change of pace.
    I'm firmly in this boat.

I'm not a Walmart fan, although it seems I rushed to their defense here (which I did). They're not doing anything wrong here, and to some degree, much of my issue with them also doesn't have anything to do with anything *they* are doing wrong, per se.

I just like to support the smaller, locally owned businesses, and Walmart is a major hindrance to that. I don't support the local stores enough, though, as I'm like everybody else, and run to the place with the best prices too often. So I'm more to blame than they are. But that's another thread.

Here, I have yet to see one cogent argument that Walmart is doing anything that is worthy of its employees protesting or striking.

Unforgettable

Thanks for shopping local Darrell, we just need more of it. you may pay a tad more, but you keep a small business open and keep the Walmarts and Targets honest with their prices, eliminate us small guys and they don't have to be honest with their pricing any longer and they will raise them.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I'm firmly in this boat.

I'm not a Walmart fan, although it seems I rushed to their defense here (which I did). They're not doing anything wrong here, and to some degree, much of my issue with them also doesn't have anything to do with anything *they* are doing wrong, per se.

I just like to support the smaller, locally owned businesses, and Walmart is a major hindrance to that. I don't support the local stores enough, though, as I'm like everybody else, and run to the place with the best prices too often. So I'm more to blame than they are. But that's another thread.

Here, I have yet to see one cogent argument that Walmart is doing anything that is worthy of its employees protesting or striking.