Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

What is this Sweat Gutr you speak of?

I seem to remember mention of it. I hate having my ear buds in and sweat going in my ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I love them so much I own two of them. I keep one in my exercise bag at all times, and one in my car for times when I am not going to the gym. I am in route to a Boosters meeting, or I would post more specifics, but will follow up later. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

This is the Sweat Gutr. Reviews on it are kinda funny. Most love it. A few don't think it works. I sweat a lot when I exercise--I mean, my shirt gets drenched. I have no hair to stop it, so it flows off my head and forehead like crazy. And it works beautifully.

Amazon reviews --- 395 of them-- 47% give it 5-stars (as do I or would I. I'd give it 6 if I could.)

HOWEVER...12% give it 1-star, which I think is high. Another 8% give it 2-stars, so 20% think it's a 1-star or 2-star product.

I read the 1-star reviews. Some of them are full of junk. I own two of them--the silicone rubber does not stink. It does not stink out of the package; it does not stink after use. They're crazy.

The ones claiming the sweat comes into their eyes? They must have it upside down. Or maybe they have some anomaly in their head shape that creates something where it doesn't fit. It's not overly tight on my head (I can easily move it up and down, but it stays in place), and it just wicks away the sweat down the sides.

Would a rare drop every get through? Yes, it has happened. But it's rare (when I wore it this weekend, not a drop on my eyeglasses, despite being out in the sun for nearly 45 minutes sweating.

Saw one complain that it dumped the sweat in the corner of his eyes. There's really no explanation for that. The gutter part would go past the corner of the eyes, but the company asked him a question--a bicyclist--if it was possible the helmet was pinching off the ends of the gutter. He did not respond.

But there's enough of them, roughly 1 in 5, that it simply must not work for a minority of people. They're not making it up. The one claiming it smelled like garlic and onions? Come on...

On the other hand, between 5* and 4* reviews, about 70% of the people think it's great. I am one of those.

I looked them up on line, does $20 sound right?

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I want to say I paid $15-16 bucks. Close to $20. You can buy them locally somewhere, but I forgot where.

217lbs this morning and have actually seen 216.2. I might just make that under 215 goal by derby.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    217lbs this morning and have actually seen 216.2. I might just make that under 215 goal by derby.

Good job BlueBoss! I'm now down 19-20lbs (yesterday I was down 20, but water weight pushed me back up to 19 today).

217 puts me at minus 18 since mid February. I'm going through the bouncy stage right now too. I've seen 215.8 and 216.5 but I keep hanging on 217. My schedule has been greatly compromised with the advent of spring. I've got to get back into a regular schedule to get back on track with consistent weight loss.

I got my machine back up and going, now I've got to get buckled down to a regular schedule...we'll see. Oh I did order me a Sweat Gutr should have it in a few days.

231.4 this morning. Doing OK with eating, not exercising. In fact, averaging 4,000 steps a day. My goal was to average 7,500 as a minimum, which I felt I could do without exercising. Fat chance.

I don't remember the formula I used, but the difference between 3500 and 7500 steps really adds up over time in terms of weight gain/loss.

Good job to both of you. I want to use you guys as role models.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Good job BlueBoss! I'm now down 19-20lbs (yesterday I was down 20, but water weight pushed me back up to 19 today).

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Good job to both of you. I want to use you guys as role models.
    You can do it D. It just takes planning. Just remember you get healthy in the gym; you lose weight in the kitchen.

My breakfast this morning:

High protein pancakes. Using Kodiak Power Cakes as a base and adding a scoop of strawberry creme protein powder. It ends up being 292 calories and 34g of protein for what you see there. I find they taste like strawberry cake.

That looks terrific.

I have generally been eating one packet of oatmeal (160 calories) for breakfast. For lunch, if I can run home (I work 2.5 miles away, so it's usually doable), I have been having either a Lender's bagel and cream cheese, or a peanut butter sandwich with banana.

For dinner, I eat what my wife cooks, but it's usually a salad, a vegetable like carrots or green beans, and the entree is usually chicken baked on cooked on the stove, pork, etc. She doesn't fry anything. Could be roast beef, maybe crockpot roast she does, etc.

I've been limiting any "specials" to either a 160 calories granola bar thing, or two Chips ahoy type cookies. And many days not that. But I may have a 90 calorie box of raisins or a Fuji apple if my stomach is really growling.

Not great eating, but pretty good. I will not eat much better than this, really, anytime. Where I am failing miserably is drinking water. If I drank more water, I wouldn't ahve that stomach growling for "food."

But 4,000 steps a day is so, so sedentary. Have to increase the metabolism to burn some of the calories consumed, and some exercise to burn it on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    You can do it D. It just takes planning. Just remember you get healthy in the gym; you lose weight in the kitchen.

My breakfast this morning:

High protein pancakes. Using Kodiak Power Cakes as a base and adding a scoop of strawberry creme protein powder. It ends up being 292 calories and 34g of protein for what you see there. I find they taste like strawberry cake.

Bombino

That looks terrific.

I have generally been eating one packet of oatmeal (160 calories) for breakfast. For lunch, if I can run home (I work 2.5 miles away, so it's usually doable), I have been having either a Lender's bagel and cream cheese, or a peanut butter sandwich with banana.

For dinner, I eat what my wife cooks, but it's usually a salad, a vegetable like carrots or green beans, and the entree is usually chicken baked on cooked on the stove, pork, etc. She doesn't fry anything. Could be roast beef, maybe crockpot roast she does, etc.

I've been limiting any "specials" to either a 160 calories granola bar thing, or two Chips ahoy type cookies. And many days not that. But I may have a 90 calorie box of raisins or a Fuji apple if my stomach is really growling.

Not great eating, but pretty good. I will not eat much better than this, really, anytime. Where I am failing miserably is drinking water. If I drank more water, I wouldn't ahve that stomach growling for "food."

But 4,000 steps a day is so, so sedentary. Have to increase the metabolism to burn some of the calories consumed, and some exercise to burn it on its own.
    Wow that picture is way bigger on PC than on my phone. I'll need to resize that later.

Your meal plan seems very robust, I would estimate you are eating around 1200-1500 calories unless there are some hidden calories in there (oils or butter in the dinner, too much salad dressing, etc.). You should lose weight at a steady pace on that.

Here is my general day of meals.

Breakfast (400 Calories)
    Everything Bagel with 1 tsp of margarine (measured using measuring spoons, 1/2 tsp per side). It is just enough butter to keep it from being dry.
    Protein Shake

Lunch (430 calories)
    Panko Breaded Tilapia from Costco (2x fillets)
    Bag of baby carrots (measured by mass on my kitchen scale)

Dinner (300-500)
    Some dish that I made calories added up, weighed out and portioned (200-400 calories)
    Some tasty salad that is not just lettuce (I HATE plain lettuce but LOVE arugula, kale, spinach, etc.) Once again, weighed out with a small amount of dressing (dressings can be VERY high calorie)
    Protein Shake

Snack
    If I feel like having one usually one of the following: grapefruit cup, fuji apple, tangerine juice, very small bowl of cereal (weighed out once again).

I aim for around 1200-1500 calories a day, usually hitting around 1300 calories. This is quite low for my weight but I actually enjoy it. Also, I am for 100g of protein in that mix, because I am lifting weights hard and I need the protein to help build muscle (let alone prevent this hard cutting of calories from actually sacrificing muscle). I also keep one of those refillable bottles of water at my desk and drink a LOT.

Results and what I have learned:
    So far, I have been following this diet pretty strongly day in and day out. I try to measure by mass (on a $10 digital kitchen scale) EVERYTHING I can to get accurate calorie counts. If I can't by mass, such as sauces I am adding to a dish, I get their volume using measuring spoons. Getting accurate calorie counts is VERY important. Studies have shown that overweight people tend to dramatically underestimate the amt of calories they consume, while underweight ppl often OVER estimate how much they eat. This is why you see overweight ppl that say they barely eat anything and are overweight and ALSO why you see really skinny people that claim to eat loads that actually don't. I religiously log every single bite that goes into my mouth into MyFitnessPal. I have learned that just because your body FEELS hungry doesn't mean you need to eat. Also, if I want something special then I budget the calories in the day accordingly. For example, on my birthday this weekend, for dinner, I had a 6oz NY Strip steak, sauteed asparagus, a dark beer and some cake. I just chose sensible portion sizes of each of those and made sure that I ate during the day accordingly so that I had the calories reserved for dinner. As a result, on my birthday, with TWO servings of cake, I still only consumed 1475 calories, WELL under both my BMR and TDEE. This flexibility (no wrong foods, just wrong portion sizes) really helps me because if I feel like a beer or a bourbon on the weekend I can have it. For others, it might be too free-form to enjoy. I have also entirely cutout caffeine (no soda, even diet, no coffee, no tea) because I found that it was making my quality of life worse from using it TOO much. I find now that I am actually much LESS tired than I used to be, even on nights where I don't get a good sleep.

As a result of this diet and working out, I am now down 19.4 lbs so far.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 04-28-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Man, I'm understating my ability to be sedentary.

Here are my last 3 days. This is pathetic.

uploadfromtaptalk1461876798072.jpguploadfromtaptalk1461876805157.jpguploadfromtaptalk1461876812733.jpg

Despite being overweight and out of shape (unless a circle is a good shape), I still get this consistently... uploadfromtaptalk1461877036685.jpg

Ugh. Dinner tonight - two hamburgers, two bratwursts, chips, and piece of apple pie with caramel drizzle. Oh, and a glazed doughnut.

I don't think I did that well today.

Bombino

Despite being overweight and out of shape (unless a circle is a good shape), I still get this consistently... uploadfromtaptalk1461877036685.jpg
    Those are really good numbers D. Much better than mine, my numbers are what pushed me to get serious about my diet, not just working out.

Ugh. Dinner tonight - two hamburgers, two bratwursts, chips, and piece of apple pie with caramel drizzle. Oh, and a glazed doughnut.

I don't think I did that well today.

No big deal, we all slip up from time to time. It isn't that you failed, it is how your respond to a failure that determines that outcome. Just hop back on that horse today and you will be fine.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 04-29-2016 at 07:58 AM.

My wife was out of town, so I grilled last night. And did grocery shopping beforehand; hence the apple pie with caramel drizzle, doughnuts, and all the crap I bought lol.

I told her what we had to eat--actually, told her that I went grocery shopping for dinner last night, and she asked one question--"how much did you spend?"

When I told her $82, she said, "this is why you don't grocery shop for us."

I know what I'm doing, dawg...one decadent meal (I bought wine, too, tea, etc.), one trip to the grocery store, and I make sure I'm never called on to do it again. Just hope she doesn't read this thread.

Never do anything well you don't want to keep doing.

I lost my weight with a simple strategy: no carbs, and hit the treadmill when I can. Mostly eat less and no carbs.

it's not easy. first, I like things like potato chips and fries,a lot. I like potatoes. Second, other than meat and nuts it's hard to find things with no carbs.

I want to try making something called cloud bread. It's egg whites and cream cheese, like a marangue (sp?), but apparently you let them sit in a bag overnight and they get chewy and more like bread.

The thing is I need to lose twice as much as I've lost, and it's hard to stick to the no carb thing right now. I'm busy, so I'm on the road, and like I said I really like potatoes. And popcorn.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Never do anything well you don't want to keep doing.

I lost my weight with a simple strategy: no carbs, and hit the treadmill when I can. Mostly eat less and no carbs.

it's not easy. first, I like things like potato chips and fries,a lot. I like potatoes. Second, other than meat and nuts it's hard to find things with no carbs.

I want to try making something called cloud bread. It's egg whites and cream cheese, like a marangue (sp?), but apparently you let them sit in a bag overnight and they get chewy and more like bread.

The thing is I need to lose twice as much as I've lost, and it's hard to stick to the no carb thing right now. I'm busy, so I'm on the road, and like I said I really like potatoes. And popcorn.
    I tried the low carb thing, couldn't handle it. It is a requirement that I eat bread and I enjoy the occasional beer or bourbon. As a result, no carb for me is a no go. It's why I switched to calorie counting. It is a pain initially, but now I am used to it. The best thing is, if I really am craving a beer, I eat accordingly so that I can have that beer. One of my good buddies can't stand calorie counting but has no problem on a keto diet (his big craves are beef and bacon), so that is what he goes with. At the end of the day, science has shown that it is Calories In < Calories Out is all you need to lose weight. You could go on an all twinkie diet (a university professor/researcher actually did this) and lose weight, lower your bad cholesterol, raise your good cholesterol and lower your triglicerides. That being said, the twinkie diet is not good for you long term. That high of an intake of processed foods is likely to increase cancer risks, malnutrition risks due to incomplete profiles of vitamins and minerals, etc. Recent scientific studies have throw a lot of confusion into what was the previously accepted theories, things like fats are inherently bad (its not, dietary fat is metabolized first then converted into either energy or back into fat), cholesterol is inherently bad (it's metabolized first, just like fat), starvation mode (it doesn't exist), etc. It has been really interesting to read the studies that have been coming out. There is a lot more direct science going on now, due to a variety of reasons. Many studies were previously done via surveys and what not, this allowed them to get huge population sizes but we have learned that ppl tend to lie on surveys and they are horrible at estimating calories. Now we are seeing more controlled feeding experiments which while harder to do, show much more concrete data.

On the note of watching calories, if you LIKE popcorn, go with plain unbuttered popcorn. If you like potato chips, go with baked potato chips. Also, get your self a huge bag and partion the bag out into ziplock bags of a suitable size. You still eat the "whole bag" so your mind gets satisfied AND you get the chips/popcorn you want, without sacrificing the calories. It requires a bit of planning in advance but you will get used to it.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 05-02-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Sorry if this was talked about but I have thought about taking up biking to get in shape.
    What are the thoughts on biking.
    Good bikes?
    Enjoyment?
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Sorry if this was talked about but I have thought about taking up biking to get in shape.
    Good bikes?
    Enjoyment?
    It's a great idea unless you are on roads I'm on and slows me down getting to appointments.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Pedro, I agree it's just mostly lowering calories, and no doubt what works for one person won't work for another, esp if it goes against their core eating preferences.

Low carb isn't easy for me, but it's easier than others. I like nuts, I like meat, I like cheese. Also, I love vegetables and this plan forces me to eat a lot more veggies than I would by just running and grabbing. that's the biggest benefit IMO, I force myself to make a salad instead of stopping for stuff at fast food.

I also need to clean off the treadmill.

CBBN are you a biker?
    Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    It's a great idea unless you are on roads I'm on and slows me down getting to appointments.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Bombino

Good bikes?
    Enjoyment?
    CBBN are you a biker?
    Any tips?
    I think he is implying that bikers slow him down. Not that he is a biker himself.

Just a heads-up: Probiotics are wonderful.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

I'm stuck on 217....no big deal, other than it looks like I'll miss my 215 goal. 16 months ago I weighed a little over 245, so I'm doing okay.

When my machine went down I didn't exercise consistently or regularly for about a month. Now that I'm back in business my schedule has gotten so hectic I'm struggling getting back into my routine.

Will be interesting to see how my weight gets along with two weeks on the beach.

Still at 230+. This morning it was 231.6, in fact.

Have eaten hit or miss. Half the days recently I've eaten well, the other half, from not-so-good to terrible. I ran 5-1/2 miles (well, 3+ miles at lunch, 2-1/2 miles that night) Monday, 4 miles Tuesday, took yesterday off, and walked 1-1/2 miles today while waiting on my son's doctor's appointment (they have an indoor track there for physical therapy, so we got there early, and I walked while we waited). I intend to go run 3 miles tonight.

I'm hoping that over the next couple of weeks that improves my metabolism some, and curbs my appetite more, which exercise--and drinking water--tends to do for me. It's a whole process kind of thing. But the reason I'm not losing weight is simple. I'm not sustaining anything.

What is this Sweat Gutr you speak of?

I seem to remember mention of it. I hate having my ear buds in and sweat going in my ears.

Oh I did order me a Sweat Gutr should have it in a few days.
    Man, I hope you like the Sweat Gutr. I should have cautioned you, I missed the sentence above where you talked about hating to have sweat go in your EARS.

I hope it works for you, but I don't think keeping sweat out of the EARS is the target concept. Basically, the "gutter" part funnels the sweat that ordinarily pours down your face to the side of your face. I hope this doesn't sound bad, but I kind of like it. It's cooling when it is channeled back to your temple.

Now, it doesn't go in my ears, but most of the sweat gutr is just silicone--it isn't absorbent, it deflects. So I'm not sure that it will deflect sweat that comes straight down the side of your head into your ears anywhere other than where it usually goes.

Take a look at the image again, and you can see the "gutter" part--to me, that's 99.9% of what it does--keeps sweat out of your eyes, nose and face. I sometimes run with contacts; I occasionally run with glasses. I hate getting sweat in my eyes and my contacts and eyes burning; and I hate getting sweat on my glasses lenses when I run with them. This has been terrific--for that.

I may have to buy yours as a third one for me if you don't like it. I do love mine. My shirt gets soaked with sweat, and I have no hair to stop sweat from the top of my head, and this works like a charm. Keeping one in the console of my car, and one in my gym bag keeps it around at any time I exercise.

Oh--if you do use the Sweat Gutr, remember to always rinse it immediately after use. I think the sweat crystals/salt will eat away at the silicone if you just let it dry like that. When I'm at the gym, I take it to the shower and just rinse it off there; when I'm outside, I'll either take a water bottle and rinse it before I get back in the car, or if I'm at the park, there's a water fountain I run it through thoroughly.

My oldest one has become a little dingy from wearing it so much in the sun, but it works great still. That's my "outdoor" one.