Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Congrats, Darrell!

The month of April was big downs and (unfortunately) ups. Lost 6 lbs the first 2 weeks of the month, then we had a family situation come up and it was 2 weeks of eating whatever, sitting on planes/in cars and not exercising. Ended up gaining 2 lbs for the month. Ugh--not healthy at all. Back at it for May!
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 05-02-2023 at 07:30 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Congrats, Darrell!

The month of April was big downs and (unfortunately) ups. Lost 6 lbs the first 2 half of the month, then we had a family situation come up and it was 2 weeks of eating whatever, sitting on planes/in cars and not exercising. Ended up gaining 2 lbs for the month. Ugh--not healthy at all. Back at it for May!
    Good Luck, Brian! We have all been there! Frustrating!
    Real Fan since 1958

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Brian, don't you hate it when life interferes with your plans like that? My goal this year is going to be not to completely destroy whatever little advances I've made toward health and fitness when cold weather and holidays begin. It's a frustrating vicious cycle.

Was looking on the Barber Motor Speedway website for the Indy 5K run at lunch, and found this old fat man that even looks slow. But his shirt looked good!

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post

I’m still limited in exercise (at least that’s my excuse), PT guy did tell me getting back in good cardio shape will help with shoulder rehab. I’m getting back on the elliptical tomorrow and just letting my left arm hang on for the ride, do all the work with legs and right arm… for now. Still 231-229, which all things considered isn’t horrible, since Ash Wednesday I’ve lost 8-10 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blueboss, how is your arm doing? I know it's a lengthy rehab to get back to "normal," and with you as active as you are, you're probably anxious for that to be 100% now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Blueboss, how is your arm doing? I know it's a lengthy rehab to get back to "normal," and with you as active as you are, you're probably anxious for that to be 100% now.
    I’m still doing PT twice a week. Given the circumstances surrounding the last three weeks, starting back to my colonoscopy and then everything going sideways from that point, I’ve cancelled several appointments. Bottom line, I’m at around 90% mobility, I am still limited to certain movements with resistance/weight. It gets cranky from time to time, and barks at me (achey).

I am going to meet my two PT appt’s this week, work out some kinks.

Fortunately without going into great detail, the timing all worked out… I would not have been able to get through the first 4-6 weeks post op on my own.

I’m in no mood to get on the machine just yet, but I’ll get there, and I think that’ll help, with a lot.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

213.6 this morning. Really pretty stagnant. Lost 1 pound in a month.

Only thing that has ever worked for me losing weight is MyFitnessPal. Having to record peppermint patties, fudgesicles, club crackers, or any number of vices makes me rethink it.

On a separate note, even though this month has been pretty poor in number of times I've run, my stamina seems to be getting a little better. I'm still doing my usual run about .2 of a mile, then walk .03 or .04, but the combination is getting to be about 12:15 miles, which means my .2 mile jog is a little quicker than normal. That's super slow, but for me, it's about as good as I've done. I'd like to improve my ability to jog longer at a decent speed, but as long as I'm moving, I'm pretty happy with that.

221, but it’s not the kind of healthy weight loss program no one should ever go through. I force myself to eat, so I make sure it’s healthy green stuff with some kind of protein thrown in.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

221, but it’s not the kind of healthy weight loss program no one should ever go through. I force myself to eat, so I make sure it’s healthy green stuff with some kind of protein thrown in.

Remember that all green stuff in the refrigerator is not good to eat. I learned that when in college, but that was long ago and I have forgotten a good bit of that training.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Remember that all green stuff in the refrigerator is not good to eat. I learned that when in college, but that was long ago and I have forgotten a good bit of that training.
    You son’t want to eat the greeeen stuff in my fridge either. I clean it out every 6 months withou fail.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 06-04-2023 at 11:23 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Ran 6.33 miles today in near 90° temperature. Chose a route with a lot of shade, and a water break halfway. Do this every year just to make sure I can.

222/224 depending on what day and time….

U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I've come to the conclusion it just seems longer lol.

(2.4 mile run at 10pm CT in my office complexes blacktop parking lot tonight. Didn't want to overdo, but it's getting too easy to skip days of running and say I'll do it tomorrow that I just forced this one.

That's hardcore, Darrell! You're locked in.

^Meanwhile, I've got a bad case of tendonitis in one of my Achillles. Ramping up my activity without lowering my weight is probably an issue. Also wouldn't hurt to start stretching, I guess.

Had a good time this morning running a 5k through a winery vineyard. Personal best 5k gave me my first ever award, 2nd place in the old, fat man division!

Cool medal is functional as a cork/corkscrew.

^Meanwhile, I've got a bad case of tendonitis in one of my Achillles. Ramping up my activity without lowering my weight is probably an issue. Also wouldn't hurt to start stretching, I guess.
    I'm such a wimp that something like that would sideline me for weeks. Been lucky not to have anything major.

Told my wife (who came with me this morning to the winery) that my next goal is to lose the weight. My next 5k isn't until August, and I'd love to run in 10 pounds less (or more) than I am now.

88° at 9pm tonight at my office blacktop parking lots. Slow but got another 3.15 miles in. Not a huge fan of running under parking lot lights (and around a sidewalk around a lake where the sidewalk is mostly unlit), but the heat is just brutal during the daytime.

I've never been one to run early morning, but I may consider it.

Went over 250 miles running for the year today. It's not great, but best I've done in years.

Unfortunately, weighed today at 214. Exercise has been OK to good, eating not so much. Compounding my problem is that my job is so sedentary that unless I run 3+ miles, I won't even hit 8,000 steps. Days I work at home, even less.

Congrats on the mileage badge…

I’m a teenager again, 218-219 depending on day and time. I actually have seen a 217… not a great way to lose weight, I’d gladly weigh whatever to change things.

I'm annoyed with my shoes. I had old shoes (which may have contributed to my Achilles tendonitis) so I Googled "best walking shoes" and came up with this article from REI, a reputable company, right?

Based on that article I purchased these Adidas shoes, which are extremely comfortable and have great arch support. But after less than a month and about 30 miles of walking I'm seeing significant tread wear. I'd be surprised if they last another 3 months.

Maybe I need to go to trail runners or something....

Those Adidas shoes look good. Where is the wear? (Sounds like a Who's on First skit lol.)

What surface are you walking on? Don't know if you can match the shoes to the surface to better maximize wear, but that would be what I'd look to first. My two primary running shoes are both sort of a foam sole--light, but when I run on a gravel path (Veteran's Park), it tears them up pretty good. I mostly run on road surfaces, which don't seem to affect those much.

I'm a pretty heavy guy, so I think I'm harder on shoes because of that, but so far, so good on all of the shoes currently in my rotation:

Saucony Kinvara 13 -- 88 miles. Light shoe, foam based sole.
    Hoka One One Hupana - 107 miles. Light shoe, foam based sole.
    Asics Gel-Quantum 360 - 246 miles. Very heavy shoe, standard rubber sole. Or what appears rubber.
    Asics Trail-Tamobra 5 - 28 miles. Medium heavy shoe, standard rubber sole with aggressive thread.

The Asics Gel-Quantum 360 are comfortable, but heavy. I used to run in them a lot, and now use them just to wear. Every once in awhile I'll run in them, because the tread is still fine. If I'm going to go visit my daughter or something, I might wear those so I can run in them too without having to bring an extra pair of shoes.

I find that my foot does much better with a small drop (Hoka and Saucony are 4mm and 5mm), rather than the standard 8mm-12mm, but I've also read where it's good to change it at times.

Probably helps you not one bit, just my thoughts/experience.

Congrats on the mileage badge…

I’m a teenager again, 218-219 depending on day and time. I actually have seen a 217… not a great way to lose weight, I’d gladly weigh whatever to change things.

For a good long while, your weight is not terribly relevant, given what you've been through. Don't lose too much weight, though. Gotta take care of yourself.

Those Adidas shoes look good. Where is the wear? (Sounds like a Who's on First skit lol.)

What surface are you walking on? Don't know if you can match the shoes to the surface to better maximize wear, but that would be what I'd look to first. My two primary running shoes are both sort of a foam sole--light, but when I run on a gravel path (Veteran's Park), it tears them up pretty good. I mostly run on road surfaces, which don't seem to affect those much.

I'm a pretty heavy guy, so I think I'm harder on shoes because of that, but so far, so good on all of the shoes currently in my rotation:

Saucony Kinvara 13 -- 88 miles. Light shoe, foam based sole.
    Hoka One One Hupana - 107 miles. Light shoe, foam based sole.
    Asics Gel-Quantum 360 - 246 miles. Very heavy shoe, standard rubber sole. Or what appears rubber.
    Asics Trail-Tamobra 5 - 28 miles. Medium heavy shoe, standard rubber sole with aggressive thread.

The Asics Gel-Quantum 360 are comfortable, but heavy. I used to run in them a lot, and now use them just to wear. Every once in awhile I'll run in them, because the tread is still fine. If I'm going to go visit my daughter or something, I might wear those so I can run in them too without having to bring an extra pair of shoes.

I find that my foot does much better with a small drop (Hoka and Saucony are 4mm and 5mm), rather than the standard 8mm-12mm, but I've also read where it's good to change it at times.

Probably helps you not one bit, just my thoughts/experience.
    No, thanks, I appreciate the input. Right now I'm walking mainly paved surfaces (sidewalks and trails), but a little cinder/gravel. Not enough to make a difference.

I guess I'm like everyone in that I want a light shoe but also durable and supportive, which is a tall order. I'll check out yours.

For a good long while, your weight is not terribly relevant, given what you've been through. Don't lose too much weight, though. Gotta take care of yourself.
    I think I’m doing a pretty decent job eating and eating healthy. My eating habits have changed, in as much that I used to eat some fruit I the morning and a snack at lunch like a Nature Vally bar and the left over fruit from morning, then I’d eat whatever MS. boss had planned for dinner. Now, I’m more inclined to eat fruit I the morning, and I’m going to lunch more often then having a snack at dinner time.

I am making sure to get my food groups in, green stuff, protein, etc. in fact my lunch cronies give me grief about my lunch selections, because it usually includes salad or just salad.

I’m trying to figure it all out…

Harsh Reality # 53:

…opening the pantry seeing ingredients that MS. boss used to prepare some of my favorite dishes, knowing that I could never duplicate how she made them.

Just A Call Away 5k race ran this morning to benefit The Crisis Center. Daughter does weekends for them as a sexual assault nurse.

Had a really good time for me, and finished 5th out of 6 in my age group. I just pretend to be a runner. Glad it was for a good cause.

Fab Five

Just A Call Away 5k race ran this morning to benefit The Crisis Center. Daughter does weekends for them as a sexual assault nurse.

Had a really good time for me, and finished 5th out of 6 in my age group. I just pretend to be a runner. Glad it was for a good cause.
    I hope the 5k was raced in shade. I got in 11 miles on the bike this am. I was gassed at less than three miles, but decided to ride up to city walk which is 3/4 mile under the interstate highway. It's completely shaded. I did four laps there and it was enough recovery to keep me going the rest of the way. It seems like every day for the last three weeks has been a weather alert day. I'll start tomorrow at 7 am and see how far I get.
    Real Fan since 1958

It really wasn't that bad yesterday at race time, and the course was pretty pleasant around the neighborhoods in West Homewood. Fair amount of trees and shade dictated the side of the street for me, as well as my "walk breaks."

Still, this was me at the finish line. I'm not sure if you can tell, but that shirt is completely drenched. My shorts weren't far behind.

Fab Five

Darrell, it appears there will be a Marathon that will go right down your street. What excuse do you have for not running in it?
    Real Fan since 1958