Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Ah, you shoud have the pt therapist I had for my shattered wrist! That gal could yank, pull and twist it with the best of them! It’s been 20 years an tears still well up in my eyes when I think of her.
    My guy can hold his own with the likes of Josef Mengele. Again, I’m happy to do it as part of the recovery. I go twice a week and then do follow up at home a couple of days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    My guy can hold his own with the likes of Josef Mengele. Again, I’m happy to do it as part of the recovery. I go twice a week and then do follow up at home a couple of days a week.

Good Luck! Your hard work will pay off down the road.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

I have had a tough time with exercise this year. My bike riding has fallen below goals this year. I rode 1236 miles last year and my annual goal is 1000. The goal is a mileage equivalent of my doctor's recommendation of 45 minutes of elevated heart rate 3 days a week. I was definitely pleased with that effort. However, the weather the first two months of the year was tough. I don't ride if it is less than 45 degrees or if the roads are wet. I can't afford too many spills.

Going in to March I was 49 miles behind pace for 1000 this year. What a bummer! I decided to really get after it last month with slightly longer rides and Sunday I made up the entire 49 miles deficit. "0 miles off plan". That message was good to see on my phone. One thing I have noticed is my bike speed has improved about 5% over the last 5 or 6 months, allowing me to ride further when I do ride.

Bike riding isn't doing much for weight loss, but it is really helping my cardiovascular system and reducing body fat. So, I will take it.
    Real Fan since 1958

Did the Jeff State 5k this morning. At times, driving rainstorm. Always raining. Puddles galore, in the woods section there was a strong running knee high to thigh high stream to wade through. We were against the current. Young man stopped to make sure I got through it OK. I think he was scared I wouldn't. So was I.

Next one is at the Barber Motorsports Speedway, the Indy 5k. I am really enjoying these even though I'm walking a good part of them rather than running.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Did the Jeff State 5k this morning. At times, driving rainstorm. Always raining. Puddles galore, in the woods section there was a strong running knee high to thigh high stream to wade through. We were against the current. Young man stopped to make sure I got through it OK. I think he was scared I wouldn't. So was I.

Next one is at the Barber Motorsports Speedway, the Indy 5k. I am really enjoying these even though I'm walking a good part of them rather than running.
    Congratulations!

Glad the stream fording portion didn’t turn into a “running with Darrell” story.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

This was the dry part before we headed into the woods (Mick knows the track well).

The old fat man in black that looks like he's miserable?

Yup.

Getting on up through there…

My wife was/is an occupational therapist, hand concentration. She's very good at inflicting pain, all in the name of it being good for you. I tried to explain to her that doesn't mean for everything in life, but she remains unconvinced. Side note -- her first full-time job was at Charity Hospital in New Orleans. Many of her patients came in wearing ankle chains. They couldn't handcuff them because she was working on their hands. She's not scared of much.
    I should have her work on my pinky finger. cut the tendon, had surgery, and it works but scar tissue has built up enough it doesn't fully bend. I can type and otherwise I have no excuse to quit working, darn it, but would love for it to bend.

I keep thinking that if it just got beat up enough to break up the scar tissue it would work. A follow up surgery is an option but it is so very inconvenient when you live on a computer.

Maybe she can just use a ball peen hammer on it or something. I could maybe add some extra motivation, tell her I'm trying to get you to do a monthly "guys trip" to Vegas with me or something.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Maybe she can just use a ball peen hammer on it or something. I could maybe add some extra motivation, tell her I'm trying to get you to do a monthly "guys trip" to Vegas with me
    Tell her about the new plane you are helping him buy for the trips.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Tell her about the new plane you are helping him buy for the trips.
    Yeah, and don’t forget to tell her Tiger Woods is the trip coordinator.

Fab Five

Be very careful with Running at Barber!!! I ran the Susan G Komen there about 12 years ago. While it is a beautiful place, the hills are short and steep and there are a lot of them. My legs were never the same. Shin Splints to the extreme. The inflammation was debilitating. Komen received a lot of complaints. It was the only year they raced there. Never returned.
    Real Fan since 1958

Be very careful with Running at Barber!!! I ran the Susan G Komen there about 12 years ago. While it is a beautiful place, the hills are short and steep and there are a lot of them. My legs were never the same. Shin Splints to the extreme. The inflammation was debilitating. Komen received a lot of complaints. It was the only year they raced there. Never returned.
    Thanks for the tip. I hate hills, and with that caveat, I am resigned to walking every one of them. I'm long past the embarrassment of finishing near the back with the walkers anyway.

I went to Chelsea Park this afternoon to get a trial run with the steep hills. I began OK, and with walking up the hills thought it wouldn't be too bad.

By the time I reached 2.75 miles I was just whipped. Super slow time. Barber might be worse.

Edit - of course, I also had my second Shingrix dose yesterday and felt like crap anyway. I didn't feel like working, so I hit the hills.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 04-12-2023 at 08:59 PM.

Late lunch spent on a nice slow run. Couldn't be a prettier day. (This was the other side of the street from the park, but still...)

PT

edit: PT was brutal today, I would much rather have gone for a run in the park… and I hate running.

Last edited by blueboss; 04-17-2023 at 08:23 PM.

Fab Five

PT

edit: PT was brutal today, I would much rather have gone for a run in the park… and I hate running.

Maybe we could schedule our next zoom meeting during one of your PT sessions. We could all shout encouragement to your therapist.
    Real Fan since 1958

About to go on a work bout. I won't worry much about weight during those. Need to lose 50 or so pounds, but the sleep deprivation work diet is heavy on salty fried crunchy things and various dips.

So software will advance, as will my waistline. As the Tralfamadorians say, so it goes.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Maybe we could schedule our next zoom meeting during one of your PT sessions. We could all shout encouragement to your therapist.
    Appreciate the encouragement idea, but I’d rather not suffer in the public’s eye. I go again today… I know as rough as PT can be, I understand it’s necessary for the healing process. Therapist told me the other day he had a similar shoulder surgery and it took him 8 months to get back 100%…

I’m in week 9, so it’s a marathon.

Wheweeee!!

I declined shoulder surgery to repair my torn rotator cuff a few years ago after talking about the rehab. About the only thing that it has precluded me from doing is playing basketball, and I was doing less and less of that anyway. I may return, and just have excuses for missed shots. I've heard that shoulder PT surgery is some of the most grueling physical therapy, so I feel for you, Blueboss. I know you didn't have a choice and had to get it done.

I'm down to 214.8 in my quest to hopefully dive under 200. The height/weight/body people would probably tell me that with my body and bone structure, I probably need to be more like 170.

Had a cardio exam and EKG this week which went well, next month will have a chest x-ray, an echo, and a stress test, along with visiting an allergy doctor (a new one--my old one left). It may just be that I'm old(er) and fat, but I'm always disappointed that I have to catch my breath too soon when "running." As I said, I jog very slowly, usually for about 400 yards (sometimes less), then walk about 50 yards. That's my "running" pattern. I'm ok with that if that's all I can do, but as slow as I go, it seems like I should be able to do more. I don't know if there's some issue. My daughter had exercise-induced asthma, so they think that might be possible with me, too.

I was always slow when I was an "athlete," so I'm not looking for speed, just improvement in my capacity. (EDIT--and of course, the main thing is just to make sure there's no real health issue.)
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 04-21-2023 at 10:53 AM.

From Bard (Google's Chat AI): Barber Motorsports Speedway is a 17-turn, 2.38-mile road course located in Birmingham, Alabama. The track has a total elevation change of 430 feet, with the highest point being Turn 11 at 850 feet above sea level and the lowest point being Turn 1 at 420 feet above sea level.

The most notable hill on the track is the esses, which are a series of four turns located between Turns 5 and 8. The esses are a challenging section of the track that requires drivers to brake hard and accelerate quickly. The elevation change in the esses is about 100 feet.

The other hills on the track are not as steep, but they can still be challenging for drivers. Turn 1 is a slight uphill climb, while Turn 11 is a downhill descent. The backstretch is also slightly uphill.

Overall, Barber Motorsports Speedway is a challenging track with a variety of elevation changes. The hills on the track can be a challenge for drivers, but they also add to the excitement of the race.

Yeah, that's not for me. I'm hoping where we start and finish it's not quite as bad--start in Turn 10, so Turn 11 will have downhill (which I don't like, but it beats uphill), and then after you complete the lap, you continue to the finish line, which is after turn 17. So at least you don't have those esses (5-8) twice, just suffer through them once.

I'm still going to do it, but 430 feet of elevation change for my body shape, condition, age, and I also suffer from meralgia pareshethetica, with my upper thighs and feet going numb, is just not ideal. It's not dangerous, they say, but uncomfortable. Had a nerve conduction test done and nerves are fine, went to the cardiovascular guy last week, all my blood flow/pulse is fine to those areas. They think it's either I'm too fat (possible) or it's a back issue (also possible). It's annoying, though.

>>>EDIT<<< I continued to inquire of Bard, now it tells me there are no elevation changes. Man, AI is fun (he said, sarcastically).

I'll do what I said earlier. Slow jog the flats, walk up the hills. Rinse, repeat. Finish.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 04-22-2023 at 04:11 PM.

I declined shoulder surgery to repair my torn rotator cuff a few years ago after talking about the rehab. About the only thing that it has precluded me from doing is playing basketball, and I was doing less and less of that anyway. I may return, and just have excuses for missed shots. I've heard that shoulder PT surgery is some of the most grueling physical therapy, so I feel for you, Blueboss. I know you didn't have a choice and had to get it done.

I'm down to 214.8 in my quest to hopefully dive under 200. The height/weight/body people would probably tell me that with my body and bone structure, I probably need to be more like 170.

Had a cardio exam and EKG this week which went well, next month will have a chest x-ray, an echo, and a stress test, along with visiting an allergy doctor (a new one--my old one left). It may just be that I'm old(er) and fat, but I'm always disappointed that I have to catch my breath too soon when "running." As I said, I jog very slowly, usually for about 400 yards (sometimes less), then walk about 50 yards. That's my "running" pattern. I'm ok with that if that's all I can do, but as slow as I go, it seems like I should be able to do more. I don't know if there's some issue. My daughter had exercise-induced asthma, so they think that might be possible with me, too.

I was always slow when I was an "athlete," so I'm not looking for speed, just improvement in my capacity. (EDIT--and of course, the main thing is just to make sure there's no real health issue.)
    Congrats on being in your teens… I hope the rest comes back in your favor.

I’m still limited in exercise (at least that’s my excuse), PT guy did tell me getting back in good cardio shape will help with shoulder rehab. I’m getting back on the elliptical tomorrow and just letting my left arm hang on for the ride, do all the work with legs and right arm… for now. Still 231-229, which all things considered isn’t horrible, since Ash Wednesday I’ve lost 8-10 lbs.

Oh yeah, I’m in day four of one of the worst head cold/sinus things that I can remember. Head ache, sneezing, coughing, and fatigue. Went to Dr, negative for Covid/flu A&B…. Day two of steroid pak.

Last edited by blueboss; 04-22-2023 at 04:05 PM.

Picked up my race packet. Apparently there is a 2 hour time limit on running 3.1 miles. Lady checking me in warned me and the guy in front of me who was even heavier than I am that the track was very hilly. Surely nobody is going to approach that 2-hour time limit, but she said that a bunch of people walked it last year and it took over an hour. So I figured that somewhere between 45 minutes and an hour should be safe. I hate hills.

Congrats on being in your teens… I hope the rest comes back in your favor.

I’m still limited in exercise (at least that’s my excuse), PT guy did tell me getting back in good cardio shape will help with shoulder rehab. I’m getting back on the elliptical tomorrow and just letting my left arm hang on for the ride, do all the work with legs and right arm… for now. Still 231-229, which all things considered isn’t horrible, since Ash Wednesday I’ve lost 8-10 lbs.

Oh yeah, I’m in day four of one of the worst head cold/sinus things that I can remember. Head ache, sneezing, coughing, and fatigue. Went to Dr, negative for Covid/flu A&B…. Day two of steroid pak.

You just need to get yourself healthy and then start worrying about getting back in shape. Take care of yourself and don't try to do too much, but focus on that pt.

You just need to get yourself healthy and then start worrying about getting back in shape. Take care of yourself and don't try to do too much, but focus on that pt.
    Appreciate the advice…here’s a good one, I’m currently prepping for a colonoscopy that is scheduled for tomorrow….and the (s) hits just keep on coming.

Get passed this, a few more weeks of PT, that just leaves the eye Dr in mid May. As you could imagine, after all of this my vision/prescription has changed a bit.

When they get done with me…

Beautiful day, but there are some big hills. Pic not doing it justice.

I like the flat part.

Had several Go Big Blue and Go Cats greetings today, even during the race. I really enjoy wearing this shirt for the races.

Unfortunately, I didn't run into any of the Wildcat fans in the hospitality tent after the race. Was hoping to meet new friends.

Fab Five

Had several Go Big Blue and Go Cats greetings today, even during the race. I really enjoy wearing this shirt for the races.

Unfortunately, I didn't run into any of the Wildcat fans in the hospitality tent after the race. Was hoping to meet new friends.
    Drinking 205 in the 205!! Great Beer!
    Real Fan since 1958