Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Went to Doc this morning for my annual checkup. 229 with clothes, shoes, etc., so my home scale is about right.

Everything great, BP 125/83, low heart rate, good O2, waiting on lab work but Doc said now if we can just get you to lose the weight.

He wants me between 190-195. I said yeah, and I want to win that billion dollar Powerball drawing.

^^^ Same for me, all good but the weight, mine said he’d take- 20. We must be using the same Dr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

I lost about 3 pounds or so when I got back with it after the holidays, just spent a few days in Florida and gained a couple back. Now trying to lose about 5 pounds before I go on a cruise in a couple of weeks, where I'll probably gain some of it back. But we're trying to do some active shore excursions, so hopefully that will help.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Intermittent fasting, recording everything I eat on Myfitnesspal, and going super slow, longer distances in "runs," have had a couple of good weeks. Super slow jog for 3 minutes, followed by walking 45 seconds, and continue for 5 miles is what I did yesterday and today. Temperature 47 and 48 degrees, light rain, all clouds both days. Just warm enough for me to be comfortable when dressed appropriately. Much less than that and it's painful for me.

Tweaked my low back about 10 days ago. (I'm almost back to normal.) Thoughts:

1. I really need to use proper lifting technique, even when I don't think it's especially heavy.

2. I really need to do more stretching as part of my overall regimen.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I know I should incorporate some basic weight lifting, especially since there is so much support that type of exercise burns fat better than the aerobic I like. My upper body has always been the weakest part, and I hate lifting, but it would make so much sense in the winter especially. I have a decent bench, barbells, hand weights, kettle bells, etc. for my son in the garage it would make sense.

Doing the old add one minute a day to exercise routine, starting with :05… today is :07. Sunday I will be :10 at which point I’ll add :05 every other day.

Work on pace at the :10 level before increasing minutes.

May sound weak, but I’m trying not to have a heart attack.

I think once I get to :25 I’ll hold there for a few days, and work on pace. Then add :05 every other day or so until getting to :40….

Last edited by blueboss; 01-24-2023 at 05:42 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Makes sense to me. I don't think any of us over 40 - and, of course, some of us are well over that - should take this stuff lightly. Sometimes, however, I don't have that much sense.

I have a cardiologist appointment in March. My daughter does the cardiovascular teaching stuff and administrative stuff at a hospital here and she just said I'm 62, run, but should get checked out since I've never been checked out before. Probably should take it easy (and I am, really) until then. I called the office of the one she recommended, and they told me first appointments were in late June. I told her that and the next day the cardio office called and said the Dr. said come in March 9. The Dr. called my daughter* and said he'd see me sooner if she wanted. Damn daughter.

My general slow pace keeps my heart rate at an average in the 140s by slow jog for 3 minutes, then walk for 45 seconds. That's if I have a somewhat level surface, which isn't always available. If not, I try to slow jog until the hills and walk up them.

I haven't done straight jog without walking some in years. I feel like that keeps me under control. I am actually looking forward to the appointment, though, even though I'm cursing my daughter.

*They work together, sort of, and he was calling her about something else. She took the opportunity to ask why the heck was his office telling people they couldn't come in until nearly July, and it apparently got fixed in that conversation.

Part of the key, at least in my mind is getting the lungs back in shape…without going into great detail (you’re welcome), I can’t believe the amount of junk I’m clearing out in these first short sessions. Ms. boss is like, OMG!! You need to stop!! you’re too old you’re going to kill yourself!! The coughing, hacking, and wheezing is a bit dramatic, but it too is getting better.

I can’t even imagine what a smoker must have to go through.

219.2 this morning, good to see some progress. Long way to go. (I don't weigh with clothes, shoes, etc. on, so it's only 4 or 5 pounds lost).

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    219.2 this morning, good to see some progress. Long way to go. (I don't weigh with clothes, shoes, etc. on, so it's only 4 or 5 pounds lost).
    I’d love love to be at 219… I still have not dropped a pound.

I'm going slow, but increasing distance while logging everything I eat, which is the only way I've ever really been successful in losing weight. Today I ran 4.25 miles in the rain. Not fun. Yesterday I ran 6.5 miles. Good weekend for me. Sunday night we always go out to eat or get something to take out, and that's where I usually mess up. But it tastes so good...

Running in the January rain--that's commitment, Darrell. Good on ya!

This time of year it's elliptical time for me. But working very hard to be consistent with 5 days/week.

Dropped 6 pounds… by cutting back in kitchen, nothing extreme. Got on machine doing about 1 mile every other day.

…now for the bad news, had the shoulder surgery today, arthroscopic work on tendons and such, also some rotator repair. Dr says a little more was needed than MRI revealed.

They gave me a block on the arm so its currently dead, waiting for the block to wear off. Then it’s grab my ass and hang on, I was told to expect about 12 -24 hours.

Pain meds will keep me loopy for the next few days, forgive my ramblings in advance.

Last edited by blueboss; 02-13-2023 at 10:03 PM.

Prayers for as pain-free recovery as possible for you boss.
    Hang in there.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Hang in there, boss. Shoulders are really tough healers. My next door neighbor just got a new one, and he's all happy, but wait til that physical therapy starts.

Good on that weight loss! I'm looking at possibly adding a rowing machine so I can do something different than just run/walk, but the truth is, the kitchen work is much more related to the weight than anything else. (I'm trying to hold off on getting it, because I am notorious for thinking I want something like that, getting it, and then two weeks later, wondering what possessed me to think it was a good idea.)

Fab Five

Boss, good luck with the therapy!
    Real Fan since 1958

After therapy twice a week for five months, a shot of something (I thought was cortisone) that can only be given about every 4 moths, I got to about 70-80%.

Bottom line, it’s either pain to put on and take off coats, shirts, dry back, reach over head, lift up arm to horizontal and above with 20+’pounds. Forget over hand throwing, swinging anything, bat, golf club, 12 ga. while bird hunting… or surgery.

…anyway, block wearing down, pain meds taking over, hence ramblings.

Thanks for well wishes… we’ll see how it goes next 24 hours. One day at a time for now…

Three short words….

Ouch

Well, February was a lost month for me. I knew I was going on a cruise so I set a modest weight loss goal (4 lbs for the month). I tested positive for Covid the day I got off the ship and have yet to resume exercising--felt up to it this week but work stuff, yada yada yada. And I've found that exercise is a big key to me staying on track. So instead of losing 4, I gained 7. Ugh. Back to it today.

Today starts the 4th week with this shoulder immobilizing sling contraption on. Today also began week two of twice a week PT. Today also marks three weeks without sleeping in my bed but in my recliner.

…I’m about over it, but have three more weeks to go.

It is where I live. I gotta go someplace where it’s easy to get out and walk up hills. I was particularly happy where I was in Sedona. I walked 3.4-5 miles every day, gaining roughly 600 to 1000 ft in altitude. Just changed my health and attitude.

But I did go to happy hours about every day, so not my weight.

With the shoulder all the Dr recommends is either walking, or stationary bike. I don’t have a stationary bike so that leaves walking. Going to PT twice a week, so far it is just bending, moving, stretching, and massaging shoulder/arm, leaving my shoulder/arm very sore and aching.

They do put me on a bike afterwards to stimulate heart rate/blood flow. The good news is the PT is part of the recovery and I’m glad to do it to expedite the healing process…

…and, through all this I have managed to drop a few pounds.

Good for you, bb.

Even though my arm movement is still only around 50%, and I’m limited to only stationary bicycle and walking… I’m in my 20’s again

PT is brutal, but it’s part of the recovery. The harder it is the the more mobility I get.

Have heard that is very difficult, Blueboss.

I've ran 7 of the last 8 days, in terrible shape. Signed up for a 5k next Saturday just to get my rear off the couch. That part has worked, I guess. Very disappointed at how bad of shape I'm in. I'm not a true runner anyway, but now it's super slow jog for a short while, then walk, rinse and repeat. Always been that way but more walking and shorter distance jogging now.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Even though my arm movement is still only around 50%, and I’m limited to only stationary bicycle and walking… I’m in my 20’s again

PT is brutal, but it’s part of the recovery. The harder it is the the more mobility I get.

Ah, you shoud have the pt therapist I had for my shattered wrist! That gal could yank, pull and twist it with the best of them! It’s been 20 years an tears still well up in my eyes when I think of her.
    Real Fan since 1958

My wife was/is an occupational therapist, hand concentration. She's very good at inflicting pain, all in the name of it being good for you. I tried to explain to her that doesn't mean for everything in life, but she remains unconvinced. Side note -- her first full-time job was at Charity Hospital in New Orleans. Many of her patients came in wearing ankle chains. They couldn't handcuff them because she was working on their hands. She's not scared of much.

Pretty good month for me. Finally back in a regular exercise routine, lost 7 lbs. Want to lose about 5 more before going on vacation the last part of the month.

Hang in there, blueboss! I remember when I had my accident in 2018 and I had PT for about 8 months. It was fairly tough at times but I didn't want my lack of effort to be the cause of any limitations later in life. You can do it!
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 04-01-2023 at 12:37 PM.