Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Let's revisit.

I did 50 miles in January despite having Covid and I have gained weight. Hoping that with the holidays over I'll start eating better... As I glance down and see several York patty wrappers next to me...

Right on time, I’ve gained 15 lbs and feel like crap. I started getting back in shape a couple of weeks ago. I’m up to fifteen minutes/day and going 1.2 miles.

Goal is to get closer to 1.5 miles in :15…. Regardless, I’ll add five minutes next Sunday and see how long it takes me to get closer to 2 miles. I’m guessing my :10/mile days are gone.

Hope to be close to 17 miles a week (5 days) by end of Feb.

Dieting has started, and by started, I’ve started talking about dieting. The actual food choices and food intake changes will start some time next week.

I’m embarrassed to say, I’ve let my self get to back to over 230…I’m at 230, I’m still 6’2” and I’m shooting for 210 by May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Met my weekly goal on the bicycle last week. Turned 32 miles. weather will determine if I make the monthly target.
    Real Fan since 1958

Dang, a bit of a hiccup in my routine. Had a skin biopsy and some tags taken from my underarms, Dr. told me to avoid excess sweating for a few days….

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I was 230.2 at the doctor Monday, fully clothed, with shoes, etc. I think I'm closer to 225, but at 6'0, that's easily 25-30 pounds more than I should weigh.

Much, much work to be done.

Back at it, not setting the world on fire…but, :20/day, I went 4 days last week, right at 1.6 mi/day.

I’m ready to go to :25/day starting tomorrow maybe get to closer to 2.0 mi

Walked 5.11 miles yesterday, mostly during the Kentucky game. Ran 3 the day before. Best thing is I'm trying to watch what I eat a little better. Thanksving through early January is awful.

Have lost a little, but not enough to post yet.

I usually walk 5-7 miles a day just moving around on the floor at work. Exercise days add another 1.5-1.6 miles per day. I need to get to 3.5-4.0 miles per day of exercise.

Started cutting back on food and cutting out the crap. Lent starts Wednesday, that’ll be it for the sweets.

I agree with the eating season, for me it usually starts around Halloween and then goes through mid January. This year I did a pretty good job until mid December, then it went to hell in a hand bag quick.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I usually walk 5-7 miles a day just moving around on the floor at work.
    That's where I fail miserably.

It is not unusual for me to have 2000 steps working at home, if that. If I'm at my office, maybe 3500. So where some have decent exercise (I'd say 4 miles or about 8k steps), and where others like you get good to excellent exercise, mine is usually just poor.

I run 3-4 miles in a day, and including other daily steps, I might hit 10k steps.

I walked 5+ miles yesterday, and I had 12k. Granted, it was Saturday, but same as any work at home day.

So if you see me post that I ran, realize that's just making it a normal day for most people.

Fab Five

Rode 12.5 miles today with one break at the 9mile mark. I need to get back to 15 mile rides which I was doing pre-covid. Had 93 miles in February and Year to date I’m at 155 miles. This is the year I hit 1000 miles.

I’m not losing any weight, but I feel good.
    Real Fan since 1958

Made it to 1 71 mi. In :20. Getting in better cardio shape, monitor showing BPM in the peak range for only 3 minutes out of the :20 while my pace/distance increased. Good news/bad news/…I’m in better shape, but now I need to increase total time/pace on machine to continue improving cardio health….baby steps

Ran in 84° temperature this afternoon, with 190 feet of elevation (Chelsea Park) at 2 pm. Worked through lunch, called it a day. 3 miles so slow it was clocked with a sun dial.

Shower and off to a fish fry at church. A good day (I love hot weather!)

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Ran in 84° temperature this afternoon, with 190 feet of elevation (Chelsea Park) at 2 pm. Worked through lunch, called it a day. 3 miles so slow it was clocked with a sun dial.

Seriously what kind of time? I’m asking because I’m at 2mi in :25 and I don’t know what’s good. I do know that the days of :10 miles are gone…at least more than 1 mi.

Fab Five

Had a really nice ride this afternoon. I'm with the I love hot weather crowd. So far I have ridden 43 miles this week. Hope to add another dozen or so before bad weather sets in on Monday.
    Real Fan since 1958

Seriously what kind of time? I’m asking because I’m at 2mi in :25 and I don’t know what’s good. I do know that the days of :10 miles are gone…at least more than 1 mi.

Blueboss, when I was an athlete, I was slow. Think of your barrel chested, slow footed third baseman type.

Today I'm 61, with 4 surgeries last year and 45 pounds overweight. So I'm not sure anybody would care to look at any numbers I have.

I typically do the same thing. I have a slow pace about 12 minute miles, and when I get to a hill, or when I just need a breath, I walk. I try to keep a ratio of about 8 to 1 on slow run to walk, but it often is more like 4 to 1.

So overall, it usually is around 13:30 miles. Some walk that fast. If I push it, I'll break 40 for 3 miles, but it depends on where I'm running.

I was at Navarre when I was generally running 40 minute 5k length at home, and did an easy 35+ because running by the beach (not on the beach, the road beside it) was flat as a pancake.

Here's today's run. I don't like running through the park track when it's a nice day, because all the walkers and strollers are out there. So I park at the Community College, and run through parking lots. There is a lake I generally run by, so it's not terrible views, but it's pretty boring.

Yesterday was Chelsea Park. I love that area because very few people are there, and I run around a soccer field where my son trained for four seasons with his club team growing up... Back in the days when parents could watch practice. I have fond memories there, although there are some tough hills. I usually walk up those and when I get to the top, walk a little more to let my heart rate slow down a bit before I start again.

When it's super hot in the summer, I like to run through Heardmont Park. Few people are there, it's pretty, and the flattest trek I have. And there are some trees and a back dirt path behind the baseball fields and soccer fields that is almost all shaded.

Anyway, here's today's. Don't laugh.

Blueboss, when I was an athlete, I was slow. Think of your barrel chested, slow footed third baseman type.

Today I'm 61, with 4 surgeries last year and 45 pounds overweight. So I'm not sure anybody would care to look at any numbers I have.

I typically do the same thing. I have a slow pace about 12 minute miles, and when I get to a hill, or when I just need a breath, I walk. I try to keep a ratio of about 8 to 1 on slow run to walk, but it often is more like 4 to 1.

So overall, it usually is around 13:30 miles. Some walk that fast. If I push it, I'll break 40 for 3 miles, but it depends on where I'm running.

I was at Navarre when I was generally running 40 minute 5k length at home, and did an easy 35+ because running by the beach (not on the beach, the road beside it) was flat as a pancake.

Here's today's run. I don't like running through the park track when it's a nice day, because all the walkers and strollers are out there. So I park at the Community College, and run through parking lots. There is a lake I generally run by, so it's not terrible views, but it's pretty boring.

Yesterday was Chelsea Park. I love that area because very few people are there, and I run around a soccer field where my son trained for four seasons with his club team growing up... Back in the days when parents could watch practice. I have fond memories there, although there are some tough hills. I usually walk up those and when I get to the top, walk a little more to let my heart rate slow down a bit before I start again.

When it's super hot in the summer, I like to run through Heardmont Park. Few people are there, it's pretty, and the flattest trek I have. And there are some trees and a back dirt path behind the baseball fields and soccer fields that is almost all shaded.

Anyway, here's today's. Don't laugh.
    Great info, I’m about the same but I do all my work on a glider (GazelleSupreme now you all don’t laugh). I try to keep my pace in the low 12’s. Yesterday and today were very close to the same :25/2:03mi and :25/2:02mi. respectively.

I’m still aways away from being in good shape. I could not have gone a minute more at that pace, but my plan as always is to get to about :40 and then work on pace. I would expect to be at :30 by weeks end where I’ll hang for about a week before adding another five minutes.

I’m 63 but I still have a problem believing that I can’t get back to those 10/11 minute miles. I keep trying though, my biggest problem is keeping the boredom down. I do news, weather, sports, music etc. to keep my mind off time while exercising. I need to get in to a routine and stick with it. After getting in pretty strong cardio shape I need to add in some type physical/resistance training, maybe three days cardio, two days resistance.

We’ll see though…best laid plans.

Fab Five

I had a good week last week. I rode the bike 53 miles. (Thank you warm weather). My speed is trending upward. I burned 1100 calories. I’m still on target to go 1000 miles this year. At my age it’s a real challenging goal. All of this activity and I’m merely holding my own. But, I’ll take it.
    Real Fan since 1958

Great info, I’m about the same but I do all my work on a glider (GazelleSupreme now you all don’t laugh). I try to keep my pace in the low 12’s. Yesterday and today were very close to the same :25/2:03mi and :25/2:02mi. respectively.

I’m still aways away from being in good shape. I could not have gone a minute more at that pace, but my plan as always is to get to about :40 and then work on pace. I would expect to be at :30 by weeks end where I’ll hang for about a week before adding another five minutes.

I’m 63 but I still have a problem believing that I can’t get back to those 10/11 minute miles. I keep trying though, my biggest problem is keeping the boredom down. I do news, weather, sports, music etc. to keep my mind off time while exercising. I need to get in to a routine and stick with it. After getting in pretty strong cardio shape I need to add in some type physical/resistance training, maybe three days cardio, two days resistance.

We’ll see though…best laid plans.

I used to use a glider at the YMCA, but even listening to music, I got so freaking bored could not stand it. That's very difficult.

During bad weather, I have a treadmill in my garage that I use, but I really do not enjoy that at all. I mostly have relegated that to throwing my phone on a bike holder that is clamped onto it, watching a television show, and walking. I feel any movement is good.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    I had a good week last week. I rode the bike 53 miles. (Thank you warm weather). My speed is trending upward. I burned 1100 calories. I’m still on target to go 1000 miles this year. At my age it’s a real challenging goal. All of this activity and I’m merely holding my own. But, I’ll take it.
    That's outstanding. Continue to be safe. I know that sometimes that can be very hazardous, depending upon a lot of other things.

Fab Five

That's outstanding. Continue to be safe. I know that sometimes that can be very hazardous, depending upon a lot of other things.
    Except for my weekend rides everything is on the bike trails or bike routes with heavy ridership. In downtown Bham there are three continuous miles of dedicated trails with another 3/4 mile set to open in about 2 months. Typical route is from the UAB lot on 5th Av S to Avondale Park going through Railroad Park, the Rotary Trail and the Hugh Kaul Trail. As I ride it there are less than 10 blocks shared with Motorized vehicles and most of those blocks have almost no traffic.

But riding the bike downtown removes my #1 roadblock to exercise: BOREDOM! Riding the same route may seem monotonous but in reality, everyday there is something new or different. I generally ride with one or two others. The biggest problems are the 6 breweries along the way and the donut shop in Avondale. So far I just get coffee at the donut shop and limit myself to one beer if I stop at on of the great breweries. I encounter a lot of runners along the way, mostly distance runners. They are the ones eating donuts .
    Real Fan since 1958

Bounced up to :30 today, managed 2.41 mi. Something to work on this week and see if I can get to 2.5 mi.

Fab Five

Bounced up to :30 today, managed 2.41 mi. Something to work on this week and see if I can get to 2.5 mi.

2.5 to 3.0 miles is a solid range for people still working. If you can keep that target over time the health benefits will come. I would be much more focused on your cardio than your weight. I know folks that ride a bike 50 miles a week and don't have any change in weight. But they are getting a good cardio workout.
    Real Fan since 1958

Bike riders may appreciate this story.

In 1951, Gustaf Håkansson signed up for an endurance race traversing virtually the entirety of Sweden, only for his submission to be rejected because of his age – he was 66. Their reasoning was that he would have neither the strength nor the stamina to compete with the 50 other racers, all of whom were more half his age.

Nevertheless, having ridden 600 miles to GET to the starting line, Håkansson was there on race day in the saddle of his roadster complete with mudguards, a headlamp and panniers. (He had also donned a homemade bib with the number 0 on it.)

Due to the volume of racers, Håkansson crossed the starting line about 20 seconds after the race had started, but five days, five hours and 1,000 miles later, he crossed the finish line first – more than a day ahead of the next rider.

It soon came to pass that Håkansson had sort of cheated, neglecting one rule that the other ‘official’ participants were forced to follow – he didn't sleep.

As part of race regulations, competitors were expected to meet and stop at a checkpoint at the end of the day to recharge and restart the next morning.

Instead, Håkansson took just an hour’s rest before setting off again in the middle of the night. This allowed him to make up for the 10 miles he was behind after 300 miles and put a 20-mile gap between him and the rest of the pack.

After three days and only five hours' sleep, Gustaf was leading the field by more than 120 miles. At one point the police tried to persuade him to stop for a medical examination, but he only laughed – and pedaled on.

Eventually, with only 800 yards or so to go, Stålfarfar or steel grandpa (as he became known in the villages he'd passed through) came to an abrupt halt. But it wasn't sheer exhaustion that had stopped him – the old man's bicycle had suffered its first and only flat tire.

Unperturbed, Gustaf dismounted and set towards the finish line where, with only a few yards to go, he remounted to cross the line at 2:15pm on July 7, 1951.

Despite the albeit unofficial victory, a subsequent audience with the king of Sweden and generally being showered in fame and honour, Gustaf's greatest satisfaction came from proving wrong the doctors who had thought he was better suited in a rocking chair than he was in a saddle.

The Steel Grandpa continued to ride bicycles until his death in 1987 at the age of 102 and if that isn't a testament to the health benefits of riding a bike, then I don't know what is.

Fab Five

That's a funny story, Darrell. Inspirational!

I biked just over 14 miles yesterday, the longest ride since before the pandemic. I felt like I could have gone a lot further and would have except I am scheduled to ride with a group this afternoon and I wanted to be able to keep up. I like the weekend rides as there is little traffic downtown and a lot of other cyclists and runners are out and about. It's an opportunity to ride just about any of the streets and my times are a whole lot faster. I want to get my weekend rides to where they are all in the 15 to 20 mile range.
    Real Fan since 1958

I’m gonna get to 2.5mi in :30 if it kills me. Tonight 2.45 mi in :30 pace right at 12’31”. Ive been hitting the same for a week after adding :05 about 2 weeks ago.

For some reason Tuesdays have been my slowest times/distance. Tomorrow I’m pushing it to see if I can crack the Tuesday curse.

Heart rate is pretty solid maxing at 170 bpm, averaging 148 bpm through the :30 period. I’m getting in pretty decent cardio shape, and have managed to drop around 8lbs since Ash Wednesday, however Tuesday is weigh in day.

Fab Five

Blueboss, 12'31" isn't at all bad. I found as I got older, I could improve my endurance and run further. I was never able to really do much to improve my pace. I think we lose a lot of flexibility in our legs that keeps us from improving pace. I went from running 27' 5k races to running them in the mid 30s in about a year or so. I stopped running them because I didn't want to run one in 40'. I could still do the distance, but not the time.

I am upset with biking, but not in the same exact way. It used to be I could do 25 miles in 2 hours plus. I could do the same thing today. I would just need to pack breakfast lunch and dinner. Darryl's Scandinavian story is very true. Over the course of the last 10 months I have been able to improve my speed less than 1 mph.

Don't be discouraged. You're doing the work!
    Real Fan since 1958

Is that you Cal?? ^^^^ lol you dragged me across the finish line!!

I crushed it!! :30min, 2.52mi…record pace 12’04” ef Tony ef’n Little and his ef’n cry baby gazelle!!!

In all seriousness the feedback I get from this thread does keep me motivated.

Several things I keep an eye is my heart rate. Today I maxed at 179 bpm with an average of 159 bpm. That’s about a 10bpm increase from my earlier sessions this week. The next step is to maintain distance/pace and decrease bpm.

The other thing I watch is my heart rate at rest, the better shape I get in the lower at rest rate is. At the beginning of the year when I started moving more and working towards being able to maintain a sustained workout my at rest was 71-72 bpm, now I’ve got it down to 63-62 bpm. I doubt I can get under 60 bpm, but we’ll see.

Another thing is me typing this, can I type a coherent thought immediately after coming off of the machine.

You guys are getting me motivated, not for weight loss, but because I've been sitting stagnant for the last 2 years. Have always been active, but seeing and feeling it is time to get off of my butt. Thanks?

Fab Five

good luck Ike! Hard to beat spring weather. Keep us posted on your progress.

I had a tough day yesterday, though. My riding companion clocked the winds at 21 knots. We had a block long stretch straight up a hill directly into the wind. It's a hill I usually take without shifting. Yesterday I couldn't downshift fast enough. I thought my quads were on fire. I was wobbly when we go to the top.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 03-24-2022 at 05:57 AM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    good luck Ike! Hard to beat spring weather. Keep us posted on your progress.

I had a tough day yesterday, though. My riding companion clocked the winds at 21 knots. We had a block long stretch straight up a hill directly into the wind. It's a hill I usually take without shifting. Yesterday I couldn't downshift fast enough. I thought my quads were on fire. I was wobbly when we go to the top.
    Riding today, Mick? Depending on which way you're heading, your wheels might leave the ground...

My exercise has slacked off a tad. Today will be the 10th day this month I have ran. I'd like to do at least 15 per month, and no fewer than 13 (3 per week, whatever that works out to be).

I have dropped a little weight this year, but the weight loss has stopped. Started the year at 226.6, now at 217.8. Would REALLY love to get to 200. I should get to 180. Heck, "the charts" tell me that 165-170 would be ideal. Get me to 200 and I'll be happy.