Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

I was wondering because I wear a Fitbit, and I’ve never agreed with my minutes per mile while on a glider. The Fitbit tells me I’m running about 12 min miles which I find I hard to believe. I think it’s probably closer to 10 min/mile Even though it gives me a base line to follow, I have more confidence in the calories burned based and my heart rate numbers.

Obviously, over a period of time with a consistent exercise routine and as I get in better shape my heart rate drops or plateaus. Once that happens, then I have to start adding periods of more vigorous exercise (wind sprints) for a few minutes out of every 10 minutes, to get me to 4 miles in 40 minutes (Fitbit numbers).

Here’s where I was 3/1, then I got flu A and shut it down for 3 weeks, and then the pandemic hit. After that I was reluctant to do any exercise that required deep breathing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Here’s what she did to me this week.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Evil, pure and simple from the 8th Dimension!
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

This weeks cobbler lady’s offerings.

I ran nearly 50 miles in the last 3 weeks, all in 80-90 degree temperature, 80% of it with varying degrees of hills requiring a substantial amount of effort to move this 220+ pounds up and down those grades.

In addition, the last two weeks I resumed efforts at the 16-8 fasting plan. Thought I'd give that another try.

And gained weight.

I started yesterday back with MyFitnessPal, logging everything I eat. That has literally been the only thing that has consistently resulted in my losing weight.

MyFitnessPal has a good calorie counter. I think some folks here use it; I have used it in the past, along with LoseIt and maybe one other. MyFitnessPal coordinates with Garmin, though, and I like that. The way it works if you're trying to lose weight is you input all the requisite information--your starting weight, your goal weight, your weekly goal, and activity level (not counting exercise). It then tells you how many calories you should consume per day, and keeps a running total.

I modify how I use it a little. First, I use 1.5 pounds per week to lose as my weekly goal. I'm tempted to put 2.0, but I think 1.5 is aggressive enough.

Then, although I like seeing the calories that Garmin claims I burn through my exercise, and although it "adds back" those calories to my daily total, I completely ignore it, and stick to the number of calories I can eat to meet my weight goal, without considering exercise. That way just in case I messed up--oops, I put down 1 oz of cheese, and it was really 2 oz; oops, I forgot to include that nutrigrain bar I ate while I was driving between appointments; oops, I thought that my peanut butter and banana sandwich was X calories, but really, I put more peanut butter on the sandwich than they account for, etc.--it kinda helps balance that out a little.

I TRY to be diligent and not miss reporting anything I eat; and not misreport any measurement, and if so, it'll just help a little more.

Anyway, I'll report back in about a week and see if I shed anything. Ridiculous to gain 3 pounds while exercising and having "some" version of a diet, but that's what I did (edit--I know; it's possible when I weighed 3 weeks ago, I weighed "light" that day for whatever reason(s), and when I weighed yesterday morning, I weighed "heavy," but still...wrong direction.)

Tooth ache okay Wednesday so dentist gave me penicillin for suspected abscess, I also have 800 mg ibuprofen for pain. So I thought I could make it through until the infection went away. Friday l pain got worse so I escalated pain meds to hydrocodone I had laying around.

Friday afternoon I had appointment for annual checkup with regular Dr. I got in the scale and had gained 9 lbs in three days. Dr told me ibuprofen and hydrocodone would cause me to hold water.

Root canal today so I should see weight loss over next two days to get me back to 219ish. Of course I’ll be running to the bathroom every hour for the next three days dropping water.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Tooth ache okay Wednesday so dentist gave me penicillin for suspected abscess, I also have 800 mg ibuprofen for pain. So I thought I could make it through until the infection went away. Friday l pain got worse so I escalated pain meds to hydrocodone I had laying around.

Friday afternoon I had appointment for annual checkup with regular Dr. I got in the scale and had gained 9 lbs in three days. Dr told me ibuprofen and hydrocodone would cause me to hold water.

Root canal today so I should see weight loss over next two days to get me back to 219ish. Of course I’ll be running to the bathroom every hour for the next three days dropping water.

Ugh. Hope you are feeling OK.

223.4, so I've dropped a little. I'd like to be under 220 by July 1, but I don't know that I'll drop 3.4 pounds in 10 days. I'm hopeful, because I have been logging what I have been eating--and staying under my required calories--for some time before the weight started dropping, so I figure it might have a delayed effect.

220 by July 1, and then 215 by the end of July. I'd like it to be less than that, but trying to be reasonable.

Daughter is getting married 8/22, so maybe...210 by then? That seems to be a good goal.

Hanging 220 after the tooth debacle.

Hanging 220 after the tooth debacle.

I don't think you would recommend that as a plan, would you? 😏 But at least you've made the most of it.

3.44 miles today, 90°. 4th time this week of 3-4 miles outside. About a third of it was in shade, thank goodness. I'm going to have to start driving to a path where 90% of it is in shade soon.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I don't think you would recommend that as a plan, would you? �� But at least you've made the most of it.

3.44 miles today, 90°. 4th time this week of 3-4 miles outside. About a third of it was in shade, thank goodness. I'm going to have to start driving to a path where 90% of it is in shade soon.
    My walking path is only50% shade.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    My walking path is only50% shade.
    That's reasonable, but I'm finding this year the sun and temperature seems to be bothering me a bit. I've usually been a hot weather person, but I'm just becoming more sensitive to it, and I don't want to push it.

If I'm working out of my office off Exit 252 and remember to bring clothes, Lakeshore Parkway path is great. Almost all of it is shade, except I usually start by the soccer field in sun. But it's inconvenient generally.

My Jeff State path is about a third. I start in sun at the administration building on Valleydale, then behind the math and science building on the road and in the parking lot, and that's shaded, then depending on the time of day the parking lot on the way back to Veterans Park/Health and Science Building is often shaded, then I run on the perimeter of the parking lot which has trees for awhile, then the tunnel to Veterans Park and the longest sun stretch. When it gets to the top of the hill near the trees again, there's a lot of shade all the way around the lake past the volleyball courts before sun hits again. Anyway, it seems like about a third overall.

I like to run around Spain Park high school on the roads because there is very little traffic and it's nice, but it's all sunny.

222.0 this morning, so I did not meet my 220 goal.

Fab Five

That's reasonable, but I'm finding this year the sun and temperature seems to be bothering me a bit. I've usually been a hot weather person, but I'm just becoming more sensitive to it, and I don't want to push it.

If I'm working out of my office off Exit 252 and remember to bring clothes, Lakeshore Parkway path is great. Almost all of it is shade, except I usually start by the soccer field in sun. But it's inconvenient generally.

My Jeff State path is about a third. I start in sun at the administration building on Valleydale, then behind the math and science building on the road and in the parking lot, and that's shaded, then depending on the time of day the parking lot on the way back to Veterans Park/Health and Science Building is often shaded, then I run on the perimeter of the parking lot which has trees for awhile, then the tunnel to Veterans Park and the longest sun stretch. When it gets to the top of the hill near the trees again, there's a lot of shade all the way around the lake past the volleyball courts before sun hits again. Anyway, it seems like about a third overall.

I like to run around Spain Park high school on the roads because there is very little traffic and it's nice, but it's all sunny.

222.0 this morning, so I did not meet my 220 goal.
    Can you just run the shaded portion of the SP Cross Country Course? It's got that tough hill but it is all shade. Two laps on that section of course should get you about 2.5 miles.
    Real Fan since 1958

Can you just run the shaded portion of the SP Cross Country Course? It's got that tough hill but it is all shade. Two laps on that section of course should get you about 2.5 miles.
    They have it blocked off with tape but I think it would be fine to go. There's been so much rain lately it stays puddled for a while, but that's a great suggestion after it dries a little. I'll do it. I always walk that hill anyway, and usually walk a little ways after climbing it on the flat part as a reward. I'll do it, thanks for the suggestion.

Friday I packed clothes and ran at Lakeshore; Saturday I took Mick's advice and went through the woods/shaded part at the Spain Park Cross Country Course (that big hill is brutal; don't know how those runners do it), and yesterday I did my 4 miles at Chelsea Park (very easily, walking ALL the hills, not exerting much). When I parked there it was pouring rain, I waited 5 minutes and it stopped. "Treated" myself to a car wash afterward at Chelsea.

Pleasantly surprised that I had a 220.2 weigh-in this morning. Hope that continues. I need it.

Have a supply of apples I'm washing and putting out in a bowl--if something isn't convenient for me as a snack, I'm often lazy and grab something unhealthy. Have raw carrots, which I love, in a couple of ziploc bags ready to go. I need other substantive healthy snack suggestions.

Friday I packed clothes and ran at Lakeshore; Saturday I took Mick's advice and went through the woods/shaded part at the Spain Park Cross Country Course (that big hill is brutal; don't know how those runners do it), and yesterday I did my 4 miles at Chelsea Park (very easily, walking ALL the hills, not exerting much). When I parked there it was pouring rain, I waited 5 minutes and it stopped. "Treated" myself to a car wash afterward at Chelsea.

Pleasantly surprised that I had a 220.2 weigh-in this morning. Hope that continues. I need it.

Have a supply of apples I'm washing and putting out in a bowl--if something isn't convenient for me as a snack, I'm often lazy and grab something unhealthy. Have raw carrots, which I love, in a couple of ziploc bags ready to go. I need other substantive healthy snack suggestions.
    I do almonds and mix in raisins... Also, It’s melon season and even though they’re a pain in the patooty to cut up, icy cold melon after a big sweat is PDG. I usually cut up the whole melon and keep’m in Tupperware in the fridge in hefty single servings.

Ate poorly this week, with my excuse being the air conditioning out. Afraid to weigh.

Ran 3+ miles today and yesterday in brutal heat. I'm careful not to push it and using paths with some nice shady patches and going slow. I'm sitting on my doorstep right now and it looks like a heavily leaking air conditioner, I am dropping sweat like crazy.

Yesterday's running environment. 107° heat index. That's my limit. Screenshot_20200718-140028.jpg

I do almonds and mix in raisins... Also, It’s melon season and even though they’re a pain in the patooty to cut up, icy cold melon after a big sweat is PDG. I usually cut up the whole melon and keep’m in Tupperware in the fridge in hefty single servings.

Great suggestions and healthy. Wife has some watermelon cut so that's what I'll have shortly.

We’ve got really good local cantaloupes coming in, I tore in to one yesterday after cutting grass...

Fab Five

We’ve got really good local cantaloupes coming in, I tore in to one yesterday after cutting grass...

I have been eating one or two Chilton County peaches every day. They are exceptionally juicy. I need a couple of paper towels with every one. I finally broke the 170 pound barrier last week, but it has been very slow going. Would like to get to 160, but will settle for 165. 163 would get me out of the “overweight” category.
    Real Fan since 1958

I have been eating one or two Chilton County peaches every day. They are exceptionally juicy. I need a couple of paper towels with every one. I finally broke the 170 pound barrier last week, but it has been very slow going. Would like to get to 160, but will settle for 165. 163 would get me out of the “overweight” category.
    Below 170!! That’s great, what’s your height. At my height 170 ain’t happening... or if it does I’d have more to worry about than my weight.

Man, I haven't seen 170 pounds since the summer I got tall...well, taller.
    Congrats, Mick.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Fab Five

Below 170!! That’s great, what’s your height. At my height 170 ain’t happening... or if it does I’d have more to worry about than my weight.

5’8 1/2” and shrinking. Everything at my age shrinks.
    Real Fan since 1958

6'0" at my prime, 5'10.5" now, I feel your pain, sir.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    6'0" at my prime, 5'10.5" now, I feel your pain, sir.
    It would be funny if it wasn’t true.
    Real Fan since 1958

5’8 1/2” and shrinking. Everything at my age shrinks.

Been afraid to weigh, so I haven't. Work has kept me from exercising during the week; been a weekend warrior only, and that's not good enough. Of course, in my experience, it's not good enough for weight loss anyway, and I have been poor on that as well.

Fab Five

Been afraid to weigh, so I haven't. Work has kept me from exercising during the week; been a weekend warrior only, and that's not good enough. Of course, in my experience, it's not good enough for weight loss anyway, and I have been poor on that as well.
    We have all been there. Work always seems so important. Wait til you get old and wonder why you’re in the shape you’re in. It’s only then you learn work shouldn’t take priority over good health.
    Real Fan since 1958

Well, I'd make the same decision again. Got a wedding to pay for this month (fingers crossed) and selling a business for a client with 23 gas stations I've been working on since November. Closed last Tuesday. Good timing!

Ran both days this weekend, and went for a walk after dinner last night. I think I'm going to add the short walk after dinner every night, or at least, multiple times a week. Can't hurt, and even if I can't exercise, I can find time to do that.

(I could exercise, too...but on the treadmill and with weights, I guess. I really like to save that for when the weather is bad for an extended period of time.)