Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Fab Five

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

I have had my fill of riding in the wind. The last two weeks have been tough. For March I got in 148 miles and for the year I have 302 miles. Still on pace to crack the 1,000 mile goal for the calendar year. I’m in it to win it. But most importantly I have been able to meet the doctor recommended goal of 180 minutes of cardio most every week.

I have ride planned for this afternoon. Should be decent weather.
    Real Fan since 1958

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Busted that 3 mi barrier, took me a little over :36 min, but now I can work on pace the rest of the week.

Managed to lose a few pounds, but have a ways to go. Still short of first goal 220, but I’m bouncing around 222-225.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Down to 213.8, and really wanting to get under 210 so I can see sub 200 at the end of the tunnel. Ran 11 minute miles (well, 11:03) when I was in New Orleans, but a) flat as a pancake, b) I was limited on time so I only did 2.5 miles and didn't save anything, c) I had not run in several days and was fresh, and d) humidity was non-existent, which is never the case in New Orleans.

Returned this week to Birmingham, back to 12:30+, which is still good for me. Had a 4 mile yesterday with pretty big hills that I just walked and managed to keep it around there, at 50:18. I went back and checked my running app, and I was doing 14 minute miles for 3-6 miles 4 years ago, so...

Tomorrow "running" my first ever race, a 5k to benefit the school where I teach. Many will walk so my slow jog, then walk won't be out of place. Weather forecast is for downpours at 8 am. I had a choice of sleep in/virtual 5k or running, but I pictured a nice sunny day, hanging out afterward meeting people and having a good time. Now I'm worried about the slick hills through the woods that is part of this track, and the holes that get washed away by rain and use. My goal is to not get hurt. Before the weather forecast, I just wanted the first number to start with a 3, and not a 4. Most of my 5k times this year have been 13+ miles, so 40+ minutes is very possible for me.

Fab Five

Good luck in the race!
    Real Fan since 1958

Goooooo!

Congrats on the weight loss, and good luck in the race.

I traveled last week to MO for a family function and to take my father to his final resting spot along side of my mother. So, basically took the week off and ate poorly. I was surprised when I got back to find I only gained about 1.5 lbs.

Time to get back in my routine w/exercise and eating back to normal…after Easter brunch tomorrow.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Thanks, all. I didn't get hurt, and that was my main goal. Track was terrible (no fault of the track) because of the deluge that occurred overnight, but they delayed the race an hour and it didn't rain. Lots of water to run through and around and jumping over smaller puddles was part of the event, running around trees to avoid the full small lakes on the track in the woods, but everybody had a great time. I got a little competitive, and pushed to a 37:57, and with those hills (that I walk), that's really good for me. That was my Garmin time, I'm hoping official time matches, but I don't know how they do those things.

Best part was I enjoyed a chat with some soccer folks I haven't seen in a couple of years and caught up with them, and had a brief conversation with a young lady from Paris, Transylvania grad and we shared some UK basketball concerns and some UK football joy.

Here's a pre-race pic so you know why I was a UK magnet today.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 04-16-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Congrats on the weight loss, and good luck in the race.

I traveled last week to MO for a family function and to take my father to his final resting spot along side of my mother. So, basically took the week off and ate poorly. I was surprised when I got back to find I only gained about 1.5 lbs.

Time to get back in my routine w/exercise and eating back to normal…after Easter brunch tomorrow.

I'm so sorry, Blueboss. I hope that you find peace and my condolences on your loss. We were doing the same with my mother in law in New Orleans last week, and it's a very tough loss for my wife, especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I'm so sorry, Blueboss. I hope that you find peace and my condolences on your loss. We were doing the same with my mother in law in New Orleans last week, and it's a very tough loss for my wife, especially.
    You all may remember my father passed away in November. He and my mother decided to be cremated a few years before my mother’s passing 16 years ago.

We decided we would join my mother and father on the anniversary of my mothers interment which happened to be the day before Good Friday.

While the ceremony was indeed sad, it was also a relief to finally get closure and bring their remains back together.

Bitter/Sweet…. He had a military burial, I did very well until I was presented with the flag and received a salute….salutes always break me down.

The 21 gun, the flag, the salute and taps. I am jelly, and was when I lost my dad...
    You are in my prayers for sure tonight Brother.
    May He Comfort you as only He can
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Ok, after taking the week off from exercise while traveling, I hit the scale today, no change, nothing gained, nothing added.

…also hit the the torture machine for the first time since last Monday. Managed 3.24 mi. in just under :40. Kind of a medium pace for me, recovery was reasonable as well.

It’ll take a week or so to get the metabolism back in shape.

Fab Five

I had a bad couple of weeks with my training. My allergies have been the worst in memory. I couldn’t ride more than 6 miles per outing. Lung congestion was a killer. The lungs were on fire.

For this year I have biked 393 miles, almost 40% of my annual goal. Hopefully today I can get in the 9-10 mile range. I need to make up for lost time. Weight has held steady all year. I would still like to drop 10-15 before end of summer.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    I had a bad couple of weeks with my training. My allergies have been the worst in memory. I couldn’t ride more than 6 miles per outing. Lung congestion was a killer. The lungs were on fire.

For this year I have biked 393 miles, almost 40% of my annual goal. Hopefully today I can get in the 9-10 mile range. I need to make up for lost time. Weight has held steady all year. I would still like to drop 10-15 before end of summer.
    405 miles from Birmingham to Lexington. 12 more miles you can turn around and head back home.

Fab Five

405 miles from Birmingham to Lexington. 12 more miles you can turn around and head back home.

Haha. I've thought about that. It is 401 miles from Hoover to my son's home in Versailles.Unfortunately I wouldn't make it over the first mountain to get out of Hoover.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Haha. I've thought about that. It is 401 miles from Hoover to my son's home in Versailles.Unfortunately I wouldn't make it over the first mountain to get out of Hoover.
    Ride over to Tony’s and get you a big fat steak, before you head home.

5th day in a row of running. Today was 4.21 miles in 85° temperature at Heardmont Park.

May weigh tomorrow. I doubt it will be good, seemed like I've been stuck since my last good update. In fairness, my eating has been bad, again.

I’m in limbo again, lost 15 pounds since December… but my exercise routine has taken a hit. Too much going on to get it done in the evenings… good news, why a lot of those evenings are tied up is due to yard work.

Ran 25 miles last week, all 7 days, but took today off. Didn't intend to, actually got ready to run and got a work thing that popped up that took 4 hours to resolve and messed up my day. Hate starting out the week not exercising.

Oh... Edit here. I ran 3+ miles the week before. And 3+ miles the week before that. So last week was the anomaly.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 05-16-2022 at 06:30 AM.

Ran 25 miles last week, all 7 days, but took today off. Didn't intend to, actually got ready to run and got a work thing that popped up that took 4 hours to resolve and messed up my day. Hate starting out the week not exercising.

Oh... Edit here. I ran 3+ miles the week before. And 3+ miles the week before that. So last week was the anomaly.
    I wished I had your discipline… after my mid April trip to MO it’s been a challenge to get back into a routine. Now, I’m going to have to get back into exercise shape and work up to 3 miles.

I've been walking a good bit (4-5 times/week) since the weather got better. Haven't really done anything with my food intake, but have lost a few pounds with the extra walking.

Mrs. BEvans and I have a goal to one day walk the Camino de Santiago, a pilgrimage trail that ends in Santiago de Compostela, Spain. There are numerous routes, but the most common one begins in southern France, goes across the Pyrenees and through Basque Country. We've been following this Australian couple in their 60s who are doing it and posting their videos on YouTube. Gives me inspiration:

U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I've been walking a good bit (4-5 times/week) since the weather got better. Haven't really done anything with my food intake, but have lost a few pounds with the extra walking.

Mrs. BEvans and I have a goal to one day walk the Camino de Santiago, a pilgrimage trail that ends in Santiago de Compostela, Spain. There are numerous routes, but the most common one begins in southern France, goes across the Pyrenees and through Basque Country. We've been following this Australian couple in their 60s who are doing it and posting their videos on YouTube. Gives me inspiration:
    When you do it, I fully expect to see a YouTube series chronicling your journey.

I watched the video, and that couple is absolutely charming. Really cool they are sharing their trip.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 06-02-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Fab Five

Had a very bad month with exercise. I spent 5 weeks fighting allergies and chest congestion. Activity reduced by half. Ididn’t hit a single weekly goal and made 2/3 of my monthly goal. I have logged almost 500 miles on the bike so I am still in reasonable position to hit 1,000 miles for the year. The only good news is I dropped 4 lbs.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

I got back into the swing of bike rides in early June, but came up a cropper mid-month. 95 degree plus heat and dew points in the seventies are outdoor exercise killers. I missed my monthly mileage goal but I crossed the 600 mile mark so far this year. A 12 1/4 mile ride this morning put me at 615 miles for the year. That’s the longest ride in 3 months. I would like to get back to two 15 mile rides each week which is what I was doing pre-pandemic. Couple those with another 10 miler in the week, I would easily make my weekly goals.

I’m down 4 lbs in the month. That’s the first significant weight loss in a long while. If I could drop 4 lbs in each of the next two months I’ll be ready for my annual wellness appointment.
    Real Fan since 1958

Good news/bad news… I haven’t gained a single pound, and I haven’t lost a single pound.

…see “yeah, but does it taste good” thread.

Last edited by blueboss; 07-04-2022 at 10:43 PM.

Fab Five

Boss at my age holding your own is good news.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

I had to adjust the chin strap on my bike helmet today. Took it in about 1/2 inch. I am almost down to one chin
    Real Fan since 1958

Went over 250 miles running this week in 108° heat index. Not doing that again (he said, as he's sitting dripping in sweat from his Heardmont Park run at noon in 103° heat index weather).

I cheat by taking routes heavy with shade, not nearly as bad. In the shade it's probably 20° cooler.

Went over 250 miles running this week in 108° heat index. Not doing that again (he said, as he's sitting dripping in sweat from his Heardmont Park run at noon in 103° heat index weather).

I cheat by taking routes heavy with shade, not nearly as bad. In the shade it's probably 20° cooler.
    You ran 35+ miles per day?

You ran 35+ miles per day?

Nope. I went over 250 miles this week for the cumulative 2022 calendar year.

My goal is 330, so unless something happens, that should be easy. It becomes more difficult in the Fall and Winter, though, as I travel a lot then.

Nope. I went over 250 miles this week for the cumulative 2022 calendar year.

My goal is 330, so unless something happens, that should be easy. It becomes more difficult in the Fall and Winter, though, as I travel a lot then.
    Oooops, I misread that…