Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Good luck to you, BEvans. It is tough, and it gets tougher the more years we put behind us after 40, I think.

For me, full court basketball starts back tonight at 7pm. I've already said I'm happy with the last position on the bench, coming in if somebody needs a one minute breather and will be happy to start that way.

I'll be the 2nd oldest player in our "league" (it's not really a league, just invited players). Three of us are way, way over the hill. The rest, hopefully, will be pretty good players in their 20's and 30's, but no stars, no college player types. Using this as my kickstart back to serious exercising.
    Best kind of exercise, having more fun than hard work. Get out doing something you enjoy with people you enjoy, sweat a little bit…win, win,win. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Had fun. Rusty as heck, slow, huffing and puffing, but I was fortunate that this group was mostly over 50.

Had a 23-year old, a 24-year old, and a couple of 30-somethings, but rest were 50+.

Hit a few shots, made one teardrop and then tried it the next possession and got it slapped back at me lol.

Apparently this group will be good for another week or so, but when NFL playoffs conclude, the young guys come back.

Had fun. Rusty as heck, slow, huffing and puffing, but I was fortunate that this group was mostly over 50.

Had a 23-year old, a 24-year old, and a couple of 30-somethings, but rest were 50+.

Hit a few shots, made one teardrop and then tried it the next possession and got it slapped back at me lol.

Apparently this group will be good for another week or so, but when NFL playoffs conclude, the young guys come back.
    You got your heat check rejected?

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    You got your heat check rejected?

Lol. Exactly. I mean, exactly.

As the new kid on the block, not having played or not knowing any of the people other than the one guy who invited me, I was trying to be very deferential. My shot selection up into that point was very limited, and I deferred to others until I felt like they really wanted me to take some of the burden. So I hit a couple of shots, and that roll into the lane with the teardrop hit, and I thought I was Michael Jordan. Very next trip, as soon as I got the ball at the elbow extended I rolled into the lane with the same play. Except this one I ate, because I am not MJ, I'm Darrell KSR. It would have been funny if it hadn't have been me.

Lol. Exactly. I mean, exactly.

As the new kid on the block, not having played or not knowing any of the people other than the one guy who invited me, I was trying to be very deferential. My shot selection up into that point was very limited, and I deferred to others until I felt like they really wanted me to take some of the burden. So I hit a couple of shots, and that roll into the lane with the teardrop hit, and I thought I was Michael Jordan. Very next trip, as soon as I got the ball at the elbow extended I rolled into the lane with the same play. Except this one I ate, because I am not MJ, I'm Darrell KSR. It would have been funny if it hadn't have been me.
    Good stuff, lots of fun.

Not doing a lot yet, had one day on the treadmill with glorified walking, but played another night of basketball tonight.

Fortunately I get paired up with the old guy so I run about a third of the time, and probably not that much, slow jog another third. And walk the remaining third.

One Alleve before and I'll take another before bedtime.

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Back in a regular habit of going to the gym right after work. I've figured out that if I go home, there's no way I'm going back out.

Mrs. BEvans and I are looking forward to going to Charleston in a couple of weeks and getting our steps in.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Back in a regular habit of going to the gym right after work. I've figured out that if I go home, there's no way I'm going back out.

Mrs. BEvans and I are looking forward to going to Charleston in a couple of weeks and getting our steps in.
    Very smart. I have fallen in the habit of putting off my exercise with the weather being cold and rainy, and thinking I can do it at night on the treadmill. Then dinner hits and I think well, I'll go ahead and eat dinner first. Then right after dinner, of course you don't want to exercise immediately, and then I think well, I'll just do it tomorrow.

I should do it first thing in the morning, but I just am not a super early type person.

Enjoy your trip to Charleston and the added fact that you be getting in some good exercise.

I did get a little worried last week. I met with a friend of mine and I was telling him about me playing basketball and he told me to be careful. Apparently a friend of his (who I did not know) was playing pickle ball, had a heart attack and died. I mean, that can happen to anybody and doesn't have to be during an activity, but it is sort of startling. He said that all he does now is walk and do light weights. In my head, I know that walking provides close to 100% of all the benefits that slow man jogging produces, with 10% of the risk.

Basketball again tonight. I skipped breakfast, had a very low calorie lunch and a quick banana before playing from 7-9. Had the jitters, needed a little more calories (eating dinner now).

Maybe coincidentally, I was pretty bad today. Hit 2-3 in the last game to 25, which we won 26-24, so slight redemption.

There were 3 old guys today over 41 (sigh). Two of us played each game so we we could guard each other, and the third guy sat out, so we each played 4 of the 6 games (I think) we played. I'm far from quick, but both of the others were generally walking to the other end half the time, so it was also my easiest basketball so far. Garmin claimed it was 874 calories spent, though.

Well, I have to get serious about eating. Had my annual physical Friday and weighed 234.4. Now, that is with shoes on, close on, etc. but it's still a good 230 and for me to feel even decent about myself I need to be at 210, and a healthy weight would probably be 200 or 190. In fact, I think all "the charts" would say that I need to be about 175, but I think that's ridiculous for me.

My exercise has been "decent," but not great. Last night I played basketball for 2 1/2 hours. Played eight games (we play to 15, with the last game of the night to 25, gotta win by 2), and probably played the worst I played since I began playing again. Our team also went 1-7. They don't expect much for me, but if I can add a bucket or two a game, they are very happy with me and I failed more than I succeeded last night. Just poor. Then again, Garman said I burned 1440 cal, so at least there's that. I don't believe in that calorie burn and weight loss exactly, but it has to help some.

That's awesome, D. I remember when I played a lot of pickup basketball in college and no matter how in shape I thought I was, I learned differently when I went to the gym.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Still hanging between 223/225 depending on day and time.

I have a great excuse for taking it easy in the cardio exercise department…I’ll know more after Wednesday, and might have to find a new excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Still hanging between 223/225 depending on day and time.

I have a great excuse for taking it easy in the cardio exercise department…I’ll know more after Wednesday, and might have to find a new excuse.

Wishing you the best of luck with that, blueboss. Your weight is pretty doggone good, considering your height and everything right now.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    That's awesome, D. I remember when I played a lot of pickup basketball in college and no matter how in shape I thought I was, I learned differently when I went to the gym.
    The best part about it is that you don't really feel like you're exercising. You're playing a game.

I like to run, but I went to check out a new place that's a little bit out of the way that has two basketball courts today (it is 8 miles from my office). After being so terrible Sunday, I want to see about possibly playing more basketball. It might eat into some of my running, but that's okay.