Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Anybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have read both. I frankly don't think it matters much. Exercise whenever to get/stay healthy. Get out of the kitchen to lose/maintain weight.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    I didn't seem to lose weight no matter when I exercised.
    Benn stuck at 232 forever...
    Exercise is great, makes you healthy, improves your system in so many ways. But when you reach a certain age, don't believe the propaganda about exercising burns those calories. Get out of the kitchen!

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Thanks, unless of course the exercise is swimming, then I guess I have to wait an hour.

I’ve been exercising after dinner, I was thinking it would help digest the food. I’ve found I’ll eat a little less knowing I’m getting ready to exercise.

I’ve dropped 3 lbs in the last week just going 10 mins, I’m at .85 mi. Might add five minutes starting tomorrow.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Exercise is great, makes you healthy, improves your system in so many ways. But when you reach a certain age, don't believe the propaganda about exercising burns those calories. Get out of the kitchen!
    Sacriledge!
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Anybody?

blueboss, I usually exercise after dinner because that's what fits my schedule. We eat dinner around 6 and then I have that block of time. I'm not sure which is best, sorry.

(I could exercise in the morning, but I'm definitely not a morning exercise person.)
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    blueboss, I usually exercise after dinner because that's what fits my schedule. We eat dinner around 6 and then I have that block of time. I'm not sure which is best, sorry.

(I could exercise in the morning, but I'm definitely not a morning exercise person.)
    Thanks, that’s about the same for me except we eat closer to five. (old people). So then I try and exercise around 6:00ish, which right now is only 10 minutes. I did get up to .87 miles this evening. Trying to see how close I can get to that 10 minute mile before I slow the pace a bit and add minutes.

Getting back in shape is hard...without going into great detail, but it has taken two weeks just cleaning out my lungs.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

226.6, down 3.4 since 1/2.

Ran 3.1 miles yesterday on a hilly trek and my calves are sore today. Staying under 1840 calories daily. Have it set up to lose between 1-1.5 pounds weekly and that's where I am.

3 weeks in, down 11 pounds. Did 35 minutes X 3 on the treadmill last week, so missed my goal, definitely getting in 4 this week.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Fab Five

Got in 4136 steps in last night pacing the floor during the basketball game.
    Real Fan since 1958

Did a 12 minute mile last night. Slowly but surely getting in shape.

Disappointing 227.0 this morning. That means -3 for January, which is ok I guess, but it's +0.4 from a little over a week ago. Last night dinner's was Mexican food, with a lot of salt, so I am hopeful that's just a water retention kind of gain, but still...

(And to put that in perspective...I ran three miles yesterday, and had a grand total of 227 calories prior to dinner last night. Last week wasn't the best for me eating-wise, though.)

4 weeks in, I'm down 13 pounds (2 last week). Hit my treadmill goal of 35 minutes X 4, increasing to 40 X 4 this week.

I’m just now at 15 minutes five days/week. I’m up to 1.22 mi. Trying to get to 1.5 mi in 15 minutes. In about a week I’ll be at 20 minutes.

-3 lbs in three weeks. Start diet watching in two weeks...

...everyone is against me. Neighbor just brought over a 50 LB slab of lasagna with two hunks of cheesy garlic bread...

1.24 mi 15 min.

226.2 this morning.

5 weeks in, I'm down 16 pounds, almost 3 this past week. Mrs. BEvans and I are going on a short getaway to Florida Wed-Mon, and I usually stay close to even when I'm on vacation. I won't be watching my calories but not going crazy, either, and not sitting at my desk helps get my steps in.

I'm down about 14 lbs in the past month by going back to my weight watchers food that i recall i could eat. I didnt do real well last night during the super bowl, had a bourbon or two and lost control of my eating as usual. I've been working out several days a week, probably burning about 500 calories. Just anything to get me out of the house and moving is good, this Rona has me moving so much less during the day. As usual, my motivation for losing weight was being on the last belt loop and only having two pair of pants that fit. I think i'm down an inch or two in the waist and have more clothes now, need to lose about ten more before summer.
    Go Cats!

That's great stuff, Padukacat. I've heard the weight gain by people during quarantine is being called the "Covid 19." You're well on you way to getting that off.

224.8 this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    I'm down about 14 lbs in the past month by going back to my weight watchers food that i recall i could eat. I didnt do real well last night during the super bowl, had a bourbon or two and lost control of my eating as usual. I've been working out several days a week, probably burning about 500 calories. Just anything to get me out of the house and moving is good, this Rona has me moving so much less during the day. As usual, my motivation for losing weight was being on the last belt loop and only having two pair of pants that fit. I think i'm down an inch or two in the waist and have more clothes now, need to lose about ten more before summer.
    Jealous of that weight drop (and BEvan's too), but I'm working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Jealous of that weight drop (and BEvan's too), but I'm working on it.
    Me too. I got sidelined from my machine yesterday due to a minor surgery removing a basal cell from chest area. It was right in the middle of my chest on that bone where there isn’t hardly any skin. So now I’m supposed to limit my upper body movement so I don’t rip out the stitches. I guess I can go half speed and just do the lower body part.

Lent starts Wednesday, and so does the dieting.... goodbye to sweets.

So here we go, it’s Ash Wednesday. The diet started last night at 11:59:59 pm, including not eating any sweets.

I’ve still got a little over a week before I get my stitches removed and I can get back to exercising.

This morning I weighed in at 231.4.

Fab Five

Got the old bicycle out yesterday. Rode 9 miles and visited 3 breweries. Thank God I didn’t give up beer for Lent.
    Real Fan since 1958

I spent 2 weeks offline--vacationing, recovering from vacationing, getting ready to start walking the line again. Starting back tomorrow--exactly 12 weeks until we take another trip in late May, hope to lose 25 pounds by then.

Mrs. BEvans and I took a long walk (about 3 miles) while we were on vacation and it was nice to do that and not be sore the next day. Treadmill time paying off. Looking forward to the warmer weather and doing some work outside.

Hear we go... got the stitches out my chest yesterday. Dr. says take it easy for a few weeks as far as lifting, pushing, pulling, so I figure back on glider and using arms will be okay.

After being off for two weeks went 3/4 mi in 10 minutes. I’ll work on picking up the pace the next few days, then add some time and distance...maybe 2mi by end of next week.

It’s ridiculous how far out of shape I got in just two weeks without exercise. I hadn’t reached where I wanted to get before I had to take off, but jeez, 10min 3/4mi was tough

Last edited by blueboss; 02-26-2021 at 06:45 PM.

If you notice, I have not posted a weight in a while. I usually do that when I have regressed. I'm not weighing right now while I get back on the straight and narrow.

I did set a "record" today for my recovery time, according to Garmin. It said 47 hours of recovery was needed after my run today. That's not good. Should be somewhere between 20-26 hours or so. Sadly, I chose a not very difficult path, with not very many hills, and only "ran" for about 44 minutes, but my average heart rate was 149 and my maximum was 182. That tells me I was struggling. It was 80 degrees and it's been awhile since the temperature has been that warm, but I generally prefer to run in hotter weather, I'm just out of shape and not used to it.

I will weigh in at the end of this week and see how much I have gained. I don't think it's horrible, but I'm positive it's a good 5 pounds or so.

Last night just under :15 min/1.16 mi peak BPM 174/avg 143

Tonight right :15 min/1.2 mi peak BPM 157/avg 143

While it would be an understatement to say 2020 was a bit tumultuous, there’s been a surprising silver lining to months and months of quarantine: People around the world are finding the time to reconnect with fitness and healthy eating.

For 40-year-old Mike Fettes of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the correlation between COVID risk and obesity was all it took to realize it was time to make a serious change in his life. After years of poor diet choices and inconsistent fitness routines, Fettes tipped the scales at 440 pounds in March 2020, just as the pandemic was escalating. After a Zoom “happy hour” with friends full of drinks and pizza, Fettes woke up with sudden clarity that something needed to change for the better — and it couldn’t wait.

“I look at the pandemic as a bittersweet blessing — I don’t know if I could have or would have had the free time if it wasn’t for this,” he says. “Every time I’d hear the word ‘obesity’ and ‘COVID’ linked on the news, that fear took over, and I was like ‘I gotta do something.’”

And he did. After setting an initial goal of breaking 400 pounds, Fettes took the first step by completely revamping his diet. Sodas, snacks with artificial sugars, hamburgers and steaks were replaced with water, lean proteins, like white fish and organic chicken breast, and vegetables.

“I started eating lots of organic vegetables and fruits in lots of salads, and I’d make my own salad dressings to go with them to control my calories,” he says. “For me, that was the biggest change diet-wise because I’ve never been a vegetable eater. Now I love them, and I’ve found different ways to make them tasty and healthy.”

At the same time, he started working out. Using the lap pool in his backyard, Fettes’ first swim wasn’t spectacular. Even though he was completely exhausted after five laps and felt frustrated that he was so out of shape, he got out of the pool motivated and in good spirits.

“I made it my goal to come back every day and go one step further,” he says. “If I swam 10 minutes today, I’d do 15 tomorrow, and before I knew it, I was swimming for 45 minutes to an hour continuously. I’d swim through rainstorms, after midnight, anything. I felt very motivated and believed I would make this work.”

Beyond swimming, Fettes started to include walking, jogging and aerobic workouts with a stair stepper. He formulated his own cardio workouts that would last an hour to an hour and a half each day. But the biggest breakthrough came when his long-awaited Peloton bike arrived earlier than expected. He started on the low-impact setting to get used to the feel of riding a stationary bike and gradually worked his way into the “climb” rides for more effective and powerful workouts.

“I’ve ridden every day since I got it, and I don’t even think about not riding it, I’m so into it,” Fettes says. “I remember feeling the sweat and the burn and thinking ‘there’s something here.’ I feel mentally and spiritually well when on the bike, and it’s such a transformative experience for me. You get on the bike and have these intense workouts, and after I’m done, I have this ‘bikers high’ where I just feel incredible.”

By this point, the number on the scale was dropping as fast as his mileage was increasing. He’d already blown past his goal of reaching 320 pounds before his October birthday, and he didn’t stop there.

“I realize I’m at this dangerous point where I’ve done all this work and lost all this weight, and the last thing I want to do is get complacent and start being lazy again or having bad habits,” he says. “I work out harder today than I did at the beginning, and I’m working out with an intention. I have full control over my efforts, and I give it my all and not just go through the motions.”

To hold himself accountable, and by his wife’s recommendation, Fettes started using MyFitnessPal to not just log what he ate during the day, but also track his workouts and even plan his meals in advance. Seeing the complete nutritional picture of carbs, vitamins, sugars and more became an educational tool for him — it helped him make diet choices that benefited his overall health.

“The best thing about the tool is that at the end of the day, it gives you the ‘in five weeks, you’ll weigh this’ number,” he says. “I used it as a motivational tool to beat what the weight projection was, and at the end of the day, I couldn’t wait to put my exercises combined with my meals and hit that ‘complete diary’ button to see what I was going to try to beat weight-wise in five weeks.”

Because of his dedication to eating right, exercising daily, and making smart choices, Fettes didn’t face any serious setbacks along the way. Luckily, his wife, Liz, was joining him on this health and fitness journey, they were able to tackle challenges together.

“Navigating special events like family birthdays and holidays was probably the toughest for me,” he says. “And even though we’re taking quarantine very seriously, we’d want to have a nice meal, so we just made a point to research and do a healthy take on a Thanksgiving or birthday meal, so it didn’t derail our nutritional plan.”

In Fettes’ mind, the most important thing is taking the first step, having an intention, and using that to drive you. Even though he was mentally frustrated when he wasn’t losing the weight as fast as he wanted to, once he lost the first 40 pounds, he found his weight-loss journey became an “unstoppable freight train.”

“I remember being afraid, and instead of getting off the couch and taking action, I’d kind of cower and comfort eat,” he says. “You just have to move — start with the first step, be active, and the rest will follow.”

222.8 this morning. Ran yesterday on a hilly course, slow but 3.15 miles. This morning I had a Zoom Webinar to attend and I took my dictaphone and earphones and walked 4.66 miles during the 90 minute Webinar. Had no visual to watch, just presenters talking so I I didn't have to watch it, just listen. So happy the weather is getting warmer so I can go out.